Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2012, 22:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

BMW GranCoupe in India

BMW's CLS/A7 rival, the GranCoupe, has been spotted in Delhi.

The game heats up!

Source
Attached Thumbnails
BMW GranCoupe in India-247719_426695260724321_932555099_n.jpg  

Scorcher is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th October 2012, 00:15   #2
BHPian

Re: BMW GranCoupe in India

is that a flat matte color?? looks amazing cant wait till it comes out!
Old 25th October 2012, 01:09   #3
BHPian

The colour is called Frozen Bronze (matte finish) and was the launch colour on the Gran Coupe and is a $3000 option on the car. Even though they look cool the maintenance of matte colours is really difficult especially in our conditions since you can't even get the car polished and need special attention even to get them cleaned / washed so as not to harm the matte finish.
Old 25th October 2012, 03:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

I thought the BMW GT was the rival of CLS and A7. This one looks like a sedan version of the 6 series, right?

Last edited by Anand123 : 25th October 2012 at 03:37.
Old 25th October 2012, 04:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
I thought the BMW GT was the rival of CLS and A7. This one looks like a sedan version of the 6 series, right?
I think the 5GT is a niche segment, BMW does it, same case with X6 and X1 (until the Q3 came by).

BMW likes doing this, they dream up a new segment and looks at the competitor like, "Your move!"

Coming to the GranCabrio, like the CLS, its a 4-door sedan designed to look like a coupe and hence can be considered as rivals.
Old 25th October 2012, 05:23   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Any clue on pricing?
Old 25th October 2012, 12:15   #7
BHPian

I have seen the gran coupe upteen times in Gurgaon, first sighting was almost a month ago, mostly near Iffco chowk, it was a maroon colour car but had nothing on the back side save the BMW logo. It was a driven by a guy well known for his other exotics namely a Bentley and a Phantom. I will take pics if I spot the car next time.
Old 25th October 2012, 12:52   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post

BMW likes doing this, they dream up a new segment and looks at the competitor like, "Your move!"
Both Merc and Audi have supercars in the form of the SLS and the R8. But BMW still hasn't come up with a product that could be considered as a successor - even remotely - to the M1 or even the 8-Series. Nothing in those segments.

And I believe it was Merc who established the luxury sports sedan/coupe niche with the CLS, unless you consider the Quattroporte - which frankly belongs in a different league.

BMW were again the last to design a luxury-sports-sedan/coupe, the 6-Series GranCoupe.

@ Sahil: Don't think it should me too much more the 640d coupe.
Old 25th October 2012, 13:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

There is a Golden Grancoupe that belongs to the Mumbai dealership that is doing its rounds in the city. I must say it looks great and manages to hold the sporty and elegant image assosiated with the car. The practicality is there too with the 640d engine and this would be a hit with the buyers considering practicality with style.
Old 25th October 2012, 13:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Yes, saw this one yesterday in front of RCR. took me acouple of seconds to place it- the front looked like a stretched 5 but was wondering which model this is and then it struck me! The Matt Brown colour is simply awesome in flesh. Luckily the traffic light was red so I could admire this beauty for a good minute and a half. Awesome road presence- Love the curent BMW design language!
Old 25th October 2012, 13:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Both Merc and Audi have supercars in the form of the SLS and the R8. But BMW still hasn't come up with a product that could be considered as a successor - even remotely - to the M1 or even the 8-Series. Nothing in those segments.

And I believe it was Merc who established the luxury sports sedan/coupe niche with the CLS, unless you consider the Quattroporte - which frankly belongs in a different league.

BMW were again the last to design a luxury-sports-sedan/coupe, the 6-Series GranCoupe.
I didn't say they started all the niche segments, I was referring to the 5GT, and I guess 4GT and 3GT are in the pipeline.

Yes, I so wish they put together a proper supercar, all hope is not lost as they chose not to use the M1 moniker for the 1M.
Old 25th October 2012, 18:54   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
There is a Golden Grancoupe that belongs to the Mumbai dealership that is doing its rounds in the city.
Wait, the registration number says MH 01. Is it the same car which was photographed in Delhi ?
Old 25th October 2012, 19:45   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadwolf View Post
The colour is called Frozen Bronze (matte finish) and was the launch colour on the Gran Coupe and is a $3000 option on the car. Even though they look cool the maintenance of matte colours is really difficult especially in our conditions since you can't even get the car polished and need special attention even to get them cleaned / washed so as not to harm the matte finish.
This is wrong. The matte color is actually very easy to maintain. One of my buddy owns a construction company here in the US and he drives his frozen silver F10 M5 everyday to his work sites and it has also seen very salty winters. When he washes it, all he does is use pine sol (dishwashing soap) and water. The color doesnt have a gloss or pearl in it so its easy to maintain because you wont be able to get swirl marks or scratches as bad.
Old 25th October 2012, 22:34   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i<3turbo View Post
This is wrong. The matte color is actually very easy to maintain. One of my buddy owns a construction company here in the US and he drives his frozen silver F10 M5 everyday to his work sites and it has also seen very salty winters. When he washes it, all he does is use pine sol (dishwashing soap) and water. The color doesnt have a gloss or pearl in it so its easy to maintain because you wont be able to get swirl marks or scratches as bad.
I'm sure your friend's experience might be different, though I said so after I saw a video on BMW frozen/matte colours and the guidelines to maintain them. I was referring to external contaminants and elements such as bird droppings, tree sap, dried rain water, etc.. which on most clearcoats are cleaned and then polished away, which might not be as easy on matte colours due to the lack of a protective clear coat.
Old 25th October 2012, 23:12   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
I didn't say they started all the niche segments, I was referring to the 5GT, and I guess 4GT and 3GT are in the pipeline.

Yes, I so wish they put together a proper supercar, all hope is not lost as they chose not to use the M1 moniker for the 1M.
Got to give it to them for designing / engineering the X6 though!

Coming back to the GranCoupe, it may sell quite well considering that Indians love large 4-door sedans. It will surely clock more numbers than its coupe / convertible sibling, especially with the option of a diesel-engine.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed