BHPian

re: Audi R8 catches fire in Mumbai! EDIT: A few more - page 9

The 2.5 minutes after smoke was detected and before the flames:

Last edited by GTO : 28th January 2013 at 09:58. Reason: Embedding video
redcandle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 07:14   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: Parx SuperCar Show : 26th - 27th January, 2013

R8 will "NEVER" catch fire because of over-revving for a long time.
I have seen the manufacture process of this car in the Discovery channel. They take every engine and keep it at its highest revs for a night(?) to check it. The engine exhaust goes red hot. Yes Red Hot as in hot metal.

EDIT: Got the link:
Check out the video at time: 13.25

This accident has to be the result of mods being carried out by someone who is not technically proficient.

Last edited by download2live : 28th January 2013 at 07:21.
download2live is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 07:42   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
R8 will "NEVER" catch fire because of over-revving for a long time.
I have seen the manufacture process of this car in the Discovery channel. They take every engine and keep it at its highest revs for a night(?) to check it. The engine exhaust goes red hot. Yes Red Hot as in hot metal.

EDIT: Got the link: http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=GLu6SM6eB98
Check out the video at time: 13.25

This accident has to be the result of mods being carried out by someone who is not technically proficient.
Exactly my thoughts. R8 catching fire due to over-revving sounds funny. Each of these exotic cars go through a series of elaborate tests before being delivered.
Old 28th January 2013, 08:48   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
Heard from a reliable source that the owner got a 2013 R8 that was launched recently as the replacement for this thingy today evening. The same red one that was used as the demo car. Pretty surprising but if it's true then Audi surely knows how to make its customers happy!
Audi is smart to quickly respond and offered him the new car. It has saved them a lot of money,shame and headache had the customer sued them. They got away easy.
Audi taking blame almost makes it clear that it probably was a stock car.
Old 28th January 2013, 08:54   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

ACI reports..

Quote:
The fire we believe was caused due to aftermarket modifications. Cars like the Audi R8 are complex high tech machines and any mods carried out need to be done by component and experienced professionals.
http://www.autocarindia.com/News/330...in-mumbai.aspx
Old 28th January 2013, 09:01   #51
Senior - BHPian

Can't blame Audi for the incident. Had read the driver was revving the car hard and there was heavy traffic, a heady dose for disaster.
If he has been given a new R8, Audi not only saved face, but converted what would've been very bad PR into good PR.
Well done Audi!
Old 28th January 2013, 10:04   #52
Senior - BHPian

Not an isolated incident for sure. There are reports of other R8s catching fire. This one in Canada http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-toronto-video. Apart from this there was one more which caught fire at the Nurburgring. Co-incidence ?

They also recalled over 900 Spyders as per this report http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011...r-fire-hazard/

This is what the head of Audi India had to say about the incident
Old 28th January 2013, 10:15   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Can't blame Audi for the incident. Had read the driver was revving the car hard and there was heavy traffic, a heady dose for disaster.
If he has been given a new R8, Audi not only saved face, but converted what would've been very bad PR into good PR.
Well done Audi!
As has been pointed out in earlier posts, revving hard does not cause any problems; heavy traffic is immaterial. In fact, these cars are built to be revved hard.

Audi moving fast to offer a replacement car indicates that there is something fishy, that they want to cover up. At least, the owner is not harassed as in many other VW group cases. Good for him.
Old 28th January 2013, 10:27   #54
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
I have seen Maruti 800s and Bajaj Autos revving in heavy traffic without any resulting fire. Hopefully Audi can license the technology from Maruti or Bajaj? May not help this Audi owner, but will atleast help future generations of Audi owners.

Last edited by carboy : 28th January 2013 at 10:38.
carboy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 10:32   #55
BHPian

I think its too early to say for certain what was the exact cause of the fire. Investigations need to be done. If it was indeed caused by some modification which was probably done by a non-technical person, then the owner is fully responsible. If however, it was a completely stock car, then Audi India is responsible. It seems odd that Audi would give him a new car without even knowing the exact cause of the fire (and the Audi India head has himself said it might be due to a modification). Btw, does anyone have a source for the information that Audi has given him a new car? I would guess it would be in the media.
Old 28th January 2013, 10:46   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All cars in India starting from the humble M-800 to the mighty machines, sit in traffic , with a/c on, idling away to glory. That way all of them should have been burnt to cinders by now

Quote:
Well done Audi!
When the NANO's caught fire, Tata Motors offered free retrofitment kits to all existing NANO owners. I know from insiders at TML that separate dealership service teams were formed to address NANO owner's concerns, but unfortunately that did not turn into good PR !

I guess this is what brand perception is all about - which the aam aadmi brand finds a struggle to match

No, to forestall any comments : i do not own a Nano , neither do i work for TML.
Any car catching fire does not do any favours to the OEM, hence its prudent to wait for the results of the investigation to emerge,rather than give plaudits to any company's PR for on a disastrous incident.
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 11:26   #57
Senior - BHPian

I dont know where the Press gets its Info from but since i was there as a Participant let me clear a few things.

1) This R8 was not the recently Launched R8..its the old one.

2) The Owner and this particular car were not part of the Supercar Club Event, He had just randomly joint in at some point.

3) The owner of the R8 was informed by a fellow supercar owner at the toll gate of white smoke being emitted, but the R8 person did not pay attention and sped off, by the time the car was at the end the smoke had increased and the rest we know. If he would have just stopped let the car cool, he still would have his car with him.

Everyone again is just jumping the gun and saying Its Audi's fault..i dont think so..Bad maintainance by the owners cannot be the Manufacturers fault. If an owner over revs his car and blows the engine..would that be the Manufacturers fault or would it be the car owners fault.? White smoke being emitted is due to oil and it could have had a leak or something else..we will never be able to know as there is pretty much nothing left of the car. The R8 owner was also very rough and rash with the car and hitting high RPMS for no apparent reason while driving. Reving the car continuesly at the red line each time he stopped..It was a hot day and also if you managed to touch a high gear it was a miracle..i managed to touch the 4th gear only for brief moments before needing to go lower down again.

I do believe the car would have completed its warrenty period and it did have some modicifactions too, in such a case its only insurance that can be got and not a car replacement. Manufacturers also do not uphold the warrenties for after market Modifications done on a vehicle..that is purely the owners responsibility. I have no idea of Audi's decision, but i do feel Audi should not give him a new car.

Last edited by speedy : 28th January 2013 at 11:35.
speedy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 11:47   #58
BHPian

Why would anyone do engine modifications on an Audi R8!!? And at an unreliable mechanic? I am sure Audi has a performance modification wing. As a supercar lover my heart broke at seeing the R8 burn. Also very very hard to believe a supercar engine would burst to flames just because it was revved.
Old 28th January 2013, 11:56   #59
BHPian

Whether it was the owner's fault or Audi's fault, it was very unlucky for Audi that it occurred during the supercar event. This would mean very bad publicity for Audi, atleast in the common man's mind as most would only remember the "burning Audi car picture" and not the text in the media. Most would not even bother reading the text.
Old 28th January 2013, 12:04   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
I have no idea of Audi's decision, but i do feel Audi should not give him a new car.
If they do, it will be burning Audi's all over the place
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed