Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2013, 15:51   #76
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: Audi R8 catches fire in Mumbai! EDIT: A few more - page 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
Heard from a reliable source that the owner got a 2013 R8 that was launched recently as the replacement for this thingy today evening. The same red one that was used as the demo car. Pretty surprising but if it's true then Audi surely knows how to make its customers happy!
That is equivalent of admitting that the incident was because of a fault with the car. Doesn't look like Audi has thought through this.

I can understand short-circuit fires. But a fire from overheating would give enough indications to the driver. If those are ignored, even the driver should be held responsible.
Old 28th January 2013, 15:56   #77
BHPian

Re: Parx SuperCar Show : 26th - 27th January, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Thanks for sharing the videos Rehaan!

@0.16 What was the Honda city doing in there? Normal traffic is allowed at the time of the event or did he sneak in just like the R8 on fire?
Some of the cars (the honda, the red punto, the GTC, the z4 to name a few)that were close to the smoking R8 were asked to go past it by the traffic police (havaldaar) since they could not reverse with traffic piling up behind them..

I think the video put up by Rehaan & WarwithWheels show exactly how things transpired - I can't get over the fact that the owner / passenger were trying to get something out of the car while it was on fire - I mean, what can be more important that saving your own life?

As mentioned earlier, It could have been far worse had the cops, the SCC team and a few participants hadn't controlled the R8 situation.

Traffic was abnormally high for a Sunday to say the least. No special arrangements were made to stop/disrupt traffic in public interest. There were a lot of "normal" cars swerving in and out during the drive to get a pic or a video or simply get a good look. Even this year had a few accidents (not involving supercars) - Reason - the driver is busy looking to his left or right (at the supercars) instead of focusing on the cars in front of them only causing more traffic jams to get out and fight it out.

For instance - We had an innova full of young boys (dangling out of the window at 100kmph+) pull up right in front of our car (I was driving a friends 911 carrera) on the Sealink on the fast lane from the extreme left lane.. at the same time there was a Honda civic that was trying to keep up with us on the sealink It simply isn't safe to be on the road with these nutters who would risk the life of their occupants and the life and property of those around them!! Enough and more has been discussed in the past about this subject.

Last edited by R32_GTR : 28th January 2013 at 16:05. Reason: Rearranged paragraphs
R32_GTR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 16:39   #78
BHPian

The most unfortunate part was the manner in which the cops took away the car. It was simply dragged like a dead dog would be by the Municipal guys. There was oil and metal simply crumbing and falling on to the road. I know I may be going overboard but come on the car deserved some respect.

The spectators were as usual less said the better. Just see the manner in which these guys are sitting, outright dangerous. Please do not take this in the negative sense but basic discipline was absent.
Attached Thumbnails
Audi R8 catches fire in Mumbai! EDIT: A few more - page 9-dsc00129.jpg  

Audi R8 catches fire in Mumbai! EDIT: A few more - page 9-dsc00132.jpg  

Audi R8 catches fire in Mumbai! EDIT: A few more - page 9-dsc00043.jpg  

Maverick1977 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 17:00   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post

The spectators were as usual less said the better. Just see the manner in which these guys are sitting, outright dangerous. Please do not take this in the negative sense but basic discipline was absent.
You can say that again! Jumping in front of the cars, leaning on them, etc.
Here's another point of view from the car we were in:

Audi R8 catches fire in Mumbai! EDIT: A few more - page 9-img2013012700388.jpg

Audi R8 catches fire in Mumbai! EDIT: A few more - page 9-img2013012700396.jpg

EDIT:

Kudos to Mr. Singhania though who walked to the site, made sure the owner was safe even though the car was not an official entry and also made sure the crowd was at bay while the R8 burned.

Even the other long haired gentleman who was part of the organising team (don't know his name) did a superb effort in crowd control and traffic management.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 28th January 2013 at 17:08. Reason: corrected a typo and see edit
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 17:13   #80
SDP
Team-BHP Support

^^ This is really

A suggestion to the supercar show organizers: At the next event, please put a poster of the above Captiva photo with the following line "Is your life worth more than a shaky photo taken with a mobile camera?"
SDP is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 17:18   #81
Senior - BHPian

Check out how this female is sticking herself out of the sun roof to grab a footage of the R8 on fire

Imagine what would have happened if the R8 had exploded into pieces while they were trying to cross the R8!

Audi R8 catches fire in Mumbai! EDIT: A few more - page 9-capture.png

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 28th January 2013 at 17:21.
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 17:30   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

^ Cars only explode in films. Seen lots of discovery channel programs where they try to blow up the cars but they just burn down.

Sorry for the OT post nor am i defending the onlookers. Just stating facts.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 17:46   #83
BHPian

And they go to town about Nanos catching fire... its all right Ratan... even mighty Audi's meant for racing catch fire in India when revved a bit.
jazzrockz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 19:35   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
^ Cars only explode in films. Seen lots of discovery channel programs where they try to blow up the cars but they just burn down.

Sorry for the OT post nor am i defending the onlookers. Just stating facts.
Not entirely true! Check this video! What happens when the flames make contact with the tank full of gas?

Warwithwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 19:48   #85
Senior - BHPian

Re: Parx SuperCar Show : 26th - 27th January, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
R8 will "NEVER" catch fire because of over-revving for a long time.
I have seen the manufacture process of this car in the Discovery channel. They take every engine and keep it at its highest revs for a night(?) to check it. The engine exhaust goes red hot. Yes Red Hot as in hot metal.

EDIT: Got the link: http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=GLu6SM6eB98
Check out the video at time: 13.25

This accident has to be the result of mods being carried out by someone who is not technically proficient.
I Totally agree with you, and, I do not agree with all who say that "Over Revving" was the cause. All Cars of modern times have Rev Limiters set to limit the revs to a much lower than race/track cars, or the real capability of the motor. Thats how they increase the life of daily use road cars motors. So as someone said, track cars burn out in say 500 miles, yes since they are set to the limits, for full use of the motors capability for that 500 miles, and burn out by then. In fact thats also why some cars have 'launch control' etc to get the higher rpm at standstill before the launch/race. As my Limited knowledge goes, they even have a setting difference in max rpms at standstill and in running/rolling in gear. Since Audi has given a replacement, surely there could be a defect which they secretly realized or knew about. We must know that most manufacturers here in India, Do not disclose all the recalls!!!
If a mod of adding a NOS kit was done, then surely the installer installed the nos pipe too close to the exhaust line, causing the pipe to spring a leak due to higher pressure due to heat. Quality of pipes etc are all suspect nowadays. Its like what someone joked " why can't petrol be made available "made in China"
scooby05 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 01:05   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
^^ This is really

A suggestion to the supercar show organizers: At the next event, please put a poster of the above Captiva photo with the following line "Is your life worth more than a shaky photo taken with a mobile camera?"
Completely agree with you on this. I don't know what has happened to the common sense of these people. What can be more foolish than this? In an event like this, there are bound to be tons of pics and videos. I say sit back and enjoy the real life experience without wasting it on taking shobby pics (you can watch pics and videos later). Leave it to the pros (atleast when cars are in motion).

Last edited by 97_Octane : 29th January 2013 at 01:07.
97_Octane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 11:03   #87
SDP
Team-BHP Support

The owner has apparently denied any modifications/alterations to the car and have sought explanation from Audi, Germany.

Source:
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/ow...ation/1065941/
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 11:15   #88
BHPian

I was thinking when the smoke started, would spraying Fire Extinguisher help?
Or would spraying anything just when smoke started help?

Are there any such sprays?
devrajman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 11:51   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
The most unfortunate part was the manner in which the cops took away the car. It was simply dragged like a dead dog would be by the Municipal guys. There was oil and metal simply crumbing and falling on to the road. I know I may be going overboard but come on the car deserved some respect.
Arranging for a crane and holding up traffic at that place to do it clearly just not on the cards. If its burn't, its burn't. Police can't afford to be sentimental.
manolin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 12:05   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
Arranging for a crane and holding up traffic at that place to do it clearly just not on the cards. If its burn't, its burn't. Police can't afford to be sentimental.
Not being sentimental, but the car was dragged to the side and then they could have waited for a crane or something.
I ma saying this, because of the car being dragged, the impact might have an effect on the road. Also, the friction would cause more heating, resulting in sparks/smoke from the car again. I did see myself how it was dragged, it did hurt sentiments as it was dragged at some speed.

After taking the car at a side, waiting for a crane should have not been an issue other than the attention it was getting by the public.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks