Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2013, 12:39   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

From the "5" to the Audi RS-5

It's been a looong hunt, but it's finally over. It was frustrating at times but fun for the most part. Many options analysed, many segments considered and tons of cars researched before finally listening to my heart more than my mind by getting myself a spanking new Audi RS-5 !

I always wanted to own a coupe, a naturally aspirated V8 and an Audi since I have already owned the other two rivals; BMW and Mercedes. The RS-5 just fit the bill.

The options considered in the past ranged from the 7 series to the RR Sport to even the S4. It all started when the dealership notoriously sent me the RS5 along with the S4 for a test drive. My heart was set, I just had to have it. The reason I ruled out the 7 was that I prefer to wait for the new S instead and the RR sport is on it's way out. Although this was meant to be a replacement for our BMW 525d E60, that's still running strong as ever, will wait to retire it.

Driving Experience:
It feels almost surreal, I picked up the car from the dealers stockyard itself on the outskirts of Bombay fighting through broken roads, big speed breakers and heavy traffic, this car felt at home there whilst in Comfort mode. Hit the sea-link and switch to Dymanic mode, believe me when I say this, it is a different car altogether! The suspension hardens up, so does the steering and throttle response. Two exhausts flaps open up for an orgasmic v8 rumbles and roar after which it is hard to let go of the accelerator as it begs or rather defies you to to push it harder. Its recommended to be kept below 6000rpm for the break-in period and when I first read that I thought it should be an easy task as my E60 did not even reach that kind of RPM. Moreover the NA v8 has a very linear and strong punch through out the rev band. But when you are in dynamic mode its just so so tempting to shot way past the 8200rpm mark, thats where the red line Starts !
I am going to be sticking purely to 97 octane to get all the 450bhp out of the v8 that propels the car to 100km/hr in 4.5 seconds ! It's perhaps the most practical sports car I have ever experienced hence to do complete justice I am going to use it as my daily drive.

Features:
The car is almost fully loaded- panaromic roof, MMI 3g High(Multimedia version with hard drive, dvd, subwoofer, amp etc)
Audi drive select with the choice of Individual mode where you can mix and match the best of dynamic mode and comfort. Bucket/sport seats with black nappa leather and grey piping.
Rear view camera

What I like:
- Very practical sportscar - 65 liter fuel tank, adjustable dampers, good ground clearance for a coupe
- Rear seating is surprisingly good ! Only getting in and out is a pain but once you are in it's all good !
- The different driving modes makes it feel like you bought three different cars. Some serious split personality !

What I dislike:
-I have finished 65 liters of Speed97 in 48hours ! Just can't get enough of the car. Average FE is a little over 4.5kmpl which is what I expected under hard and initial driving. Probably should settle at above 5kmpl over time
- No service packs from Audi. Only a standard two year warranty. Gonna be hard to live with after being spoilt by BSI from BMW !
-The sunroof is only tilt. Thanks to it's massive panaromic size it has no space to move backwards.

From the "5" to the Audi RS-5-img_0612.jpg

From the "5" to the Audi RS-5-img_0609.jpg

From the "5" to the Audi RS-5-img_0601.jpg

From the "5" to the Audi RS-5-img_0600.jpg

From the "5" to the Audi RS-5-img_0296.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
From the "5" to the Audi RS-5-img_0303.jpg  

From the "5" to the Audi RS-5-img_0297.jpg  

Last edited by Sahil : 28th January 2013 at 15:45.
Sahil is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 21:26   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: From the "5" to the Audi RS-5

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Supercars & Imports Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 28th January 2013, 21:50   #3
BHPian

Whoa! Breathtaking! And guess what, a suitable replacement for the 5er

Looks like a wolf in sheep's clothing particularly in white. Conveys a totally different definition for itself in Black/ red and blue. That said, love it in white-elegant

65 liters in 48 hours! You surely are enjoying her to the hilt. Wonder what the scenario would be past break-in period

As they say, with an average of 5ish (not forgetting the 97 octane petrol), one definitely needs deep pockets. All the best buddy.

-Shivang Gandotra
MetalBuff is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 23:07   #4
BHPian

Congrats !
The RS5 looks sexy in white! Looks like you got a black grille? I thought it comes only on a black coloured car.
I don't prefer the silver grille found on the red and blue RS5'

When did you take delivery? You should've taken part in the SCC rally.

Enjoy!
Cheers
Old 28th January 2013, 23:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

Sahil, she looks gorgeous. Congratulations!

Keeping it classy with the white exteriors and black interiors - good call. And that panoramic roof has got to be the icing.
Finding it hard to think of a more apt sports car for India. Beauty.
Old 28th January 2013, 23:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations! Drive safe and enjoy the car! I am quite amazed at just how understated it looks in white! Nice!
Old 28th January 2013, 23:32   #7
Team-BHP Support

Congrats Sahil, practical choice there. Can't think of anything but an M3 which would be as practical for daily use. How do you find the steering after the 5, it was my biggest problem with this car when I drove it - the dead steering and the ease with which it accelerated (I wanted some drama).

Still great choice, what made you get a new one after the used ones you were checking out? Did you have an option of choosing the B&O?

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 28th January 2013 at 23:35.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 23:37   #8
BHPian

Good one mate, always nice to see Audi admirers on here. Enjoy it to the hilt!

P.S - Don't go easy on her now, will ya?
Old 29th January 2013, 00:20   #9
BHPian

Congrats on the new acquisition! She is a Beast!
Wish you many miles of happiness (and ridiculous smiles on stretching your right foot ).
Have fun and do keep the thread updated.
The break-in period with a car like this is going to be the prime test of one's patience
Old 29th January 2013, 02:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

Pics dont do justice. I have seen this beauty gliding on American freeways and boy is it a sight to behold !!

Did you have options to build it to spec like rims and interiors? I have seen it the chestnut colour seats and love them.
Old 29th January 2013, 05:51   #11
BHPian

Congratulations! and We need more of pictures.

Question: Why did you go with an Auto Box? OR MT is not an option anymore?
Old 29th January 2013, 09:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

Ah, finally part of the Audi brigade are we ?
For all the sadistic pleasure you derived out of just not disclosing the name and making me think hard (something i dont do often ) , i must say - fantastic choice indeed.
Its a fantastic ,super quick car and that active rear differential will ensure that you never understeer at insane speeds. Quattro might make things predictable in future but what the heck, your still gona be screaming anyway !
Enjoy her thoroughly and congratulations again ! I LOVE HER !
Old 29th January 2013, 10:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations. It is indeed a really good car. I drove one on the gt road recently and was amazed how effortless and comfortable it felt. Immensely practical and immensely powerful. A perfect tourer for India , maybe. Drive safe !
Old 29th January 2013, 15:24   #14
BHPian

stunning looking in white, see the car in red almost everyday at the audi south mumbai showroom, but in white, she looks super. Great choice, drive safe. Do post some more pics.
Old 29th January 2013, 17:39   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the appreciation guys !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Did you have options to build it to spec like rims and interiors? I have seen it the chestnut colour seats and love them.
19inch rims come only in this design don't want anything larger as it's already 35 profile! Interiors too most RS5's in India are black nappa leather.
Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
Question: Why did you go with an Auto Box? OR MT is not an option anymore?
Comes only with an autobox. The 7 speed DSG is superb, dont really miss a manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Congrats !
The RS5 looks sexy in white! Looks like you got a black grille? I thought it comes only on a black coloured car.
I don't prefer the silver grille found on the red and blue RS5'

When did you take delivery? You should've taken part in the SCC rally.
Its the regular silver/grey honeycomb grill like all RS5's, this pic makes it look black because of the lighting.

Got delivery on Friday. Was going to take part in the SCC rally but got lazy and I think it was too late to enrol by then. Perhaps next time there is an SCC event, will try and make it.

Last edited by Sahil : 29th January 2013 at 17:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks