Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2013, 17:13   #1
BHPian

Chennai Car Imports Scam - Perhaps the biggest yet

Quote:
The CBI has said that the imported cars scam unearthed in Chennai may perhaps be the biggest of its kind in India. The scam, in which, the CBI says that officials of the Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) were also involved, reportedly caused a loss of Rs 50 crore to the government exchequer.

The CBI seized 33 cars on Friday in raids across the city and the state. The CBI raided the residences of several DRI officials and car importer Alex Joseph, who has evaded arrest.
Source & Full Article: IBN Live

Last edited by GTO : 23rd March 2013 at 11:08. Reason: Keeping fair usage practices in mind, it is best to include an excerpt + link to full article
abhijeetsng is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2013, 08:59   #2
BHPian

Re: Chennai Car Imports Scam - Perhaps the biggest yet

Very sad that they have gone to the CBI yard. Will have to throw that Alex into the jail for 20 years. It's very sad that we have no cars to post at the Chennai thread. Hope the CBI guys take the right action and release all the imported cars + ask taxes from the owners of those cars.

Cheers,

Achyuth

Last edited by Achyuth Vaibhav : 24th March 2013 at 09:02.
Achyuth Vaibhav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2013, 09:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

I read about all this scam in today's newspaper. Its really sad that these cars will just pile up dust and will be savaged.
hillram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2013, 11:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
I read about all this scam in today's newspaper. Its really sad that these cars will just pile up dust and will be savaged.
It's mentioned these were obtained illegally by their owners, Hence rightfully so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achyuth Vaibhav View Post
Very sad that they have gone to the CBI yard. Will have to throw that Alex into the jail for 20 years. It's very sad that we have no cars to post at the Chennai thread. Hope the CBI guys take the right action and release all the imported cars + ask taxes from the owners of those cars.

Cheers,

Achyuth
As it states in the article on the linked site "The purchasers knew the vehicles were imported wrongfully" so no I would not give them the luxury of keeping their cars. Take the cars back and penalise them further.
I wouldn't personally advocate breaking the law, not that you are, just so I can see a few pretty cars on my roads once in a blue moon : ).
Maky is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2013, 13:07   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Will they gather dust and eventually be wasted?

That depends on what's the car's resale value, tax, penalty and interest liability to the customs department, subsequent cascading impact on VAT, road tax and insurance cost.

The only thing going in the favor of these cars is effective import duty has increased from approximately 110% in 2011-12 to about 127% in 2012-13 to nearly 168% now, making these cars more expensive to import as new cars now. However, the tax liability (I am guessing) would be, dated to the day of import and would attract a penalty and a high rate of interest for tax delays.

The resale value of these cars if higher than the sum of all liabilities listed above then they wouldn't gather dust. Plus there are possible matters of pride or ego that could also contribute to the issue.

P.S. the effective import duties are hear say numbers and may not be accurate, experts can chip in with accurate figures.

Last edited by 316kmph : 24th March 2013 at 13:09.
Old 24th March 2013, 13:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

I don't think its right to say that owners should be punished for buying such car's irrespective of their knowledge on how it was imported.

Many of the owners here whose vehicles have been seized are people with reputable businesses or institutions.I'm sure they can all afford to pay the difference in tax's and settle it.

From my point of view I agree with what another person has mentioned in this thread that the government has to stop targeting or tryinıg to mint money from us the customers. Tax's have increased to 170% for importing cars , roads are on a much worse situation now than before.

The government is literally doing nothing for us except taxing us heavily for buying beautiful cars. We are not even being compensated for damages done to our cars due to the poor state of roads.

There are very few super / luxury car's down south. I just hope that these raids don't result in these cars being dumped and rusted on cbi premises( which in my view is the most disgraceful way to perish ).

I'd rather see R8's , hummers , Lamborghini's etc than ambassador's on our roads due to the foolish tax structure on vehicle's. A beautiful country like ours deserves beautiful cars.
stanjohn123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2013, 14:55   #7
BHPian

They should be auctioned off to fetch the evaded tax and penalty!
Old 24th March 2013, 16:22   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
They should be auctioned off to fetch the evaded tax and penalty!
Exactly! Why should they rot away in some yard? Who does that benefit?
Old 24th March 2013, 18:35   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
I don't think its right to say that owners should be punished for buying such car's irrespective of their knowledge on how it was imported.

Many of the owners here whose vehicles have been seized are people with reputable businesses or institutions.I'm sure they can all afford to pay the difference in tax's and settle it.

From my point of view I agree with what another person has mentioned in this thread that the government has to stop targeting or tryinıg to mint money from us the customers. Tax's have increased to 170% for importing cars , roads are on a much worse situation now than before.

The government is literally doing nothing for us except taxing us heavily for buying beautiful cars. We are not even being compensated for damages done to our cars due to the poor state of roads.

There are very few super / luxury car's down south. I just hope that these raids don't result in these cars being dumped and rusted on cbi premises( which in my view is the most disgraceful way to perish ).

I'd rather see R8's , hummers , Lamborghini's etc than ambassador's on our roads due to the foolish tax structure on vehicle's. A beautiful country like ours deserves beautiful cars.
I am sorry but I completely disagree with most of your views.
Firstly, a person, more often than not, will evade taxes just because he doesn't want to cough up the extra money. Not because he can't afford it. As it is, these are luxury items, and not items of importance by any stretch of the imagination. If one cannot afford the taxes, then one shouldn't buy the car!

Secondly, how is collecting of import duty on luxury cars a wrong thing to do. Every country has it. USA, UK, Singapore, you name it. If you are referring to how high the taxes are then I have to point out India fairs much better in this respect compared to its south-eastern couterparts. If I remeber correctly, Singapore has a gross rate of 400% import duty on cars! Ours is a nation where the manufacturing sector still needs to be protected. So import duty on cars has to be a part of the tax regime. And to ask the govt to drop this issue just so that we can see a few beautiful cars on the road is, IMO, ridiculous.

Sorry if I have hurt your sentiments but the above is my honest opinion. One may not like a certain law prevailing in the country. But that cannot be an excuse for avoiding it!
scuderiamania is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th March 2013, 20:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

I would really love to see what all of you would post in an order gadget from abroad thread. 99.999% of us hope that duty doesnt apply or that a lenient interpretation is applied - when it comes to OUR cases. Here, for vehicles costing crores, many of you're not advocating penalties but seizure, which will simply result in destruction of these beauties and pollution of the environment (besides lost revenue for the government). Well done!
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2013, 21:02   #11
BHPian

If government does not take the necessary actions, It will lose a whole tally of 500 crores. So far 33 cars have been impounded. This says that CBI are taking this case very seriously.

Here's the list:

R.Venkatachalam (Chancellor of Ramachandra medical College ):An S500,Lamborghini, and a Lexus. Totally seven cars.
MGM group of industries: A Bentley. Totally two cars.
G.K Shetty Ramana: 5 imported cars including a Benz,Hummer and Lexus.
Raja Sankar: Two cars including a Hummer.
India Cements:11 cars including a Bentley,Benz,Lamborghini,Mserati and a Toyota.
Udhayanidhi Stalin's Hummer has evaded the capture.

Source: Times Of India Sunday Edition.

Cheers,

Achyuth

Last edited by Achyuth Vaibhav : 24th March 2013 at 21:10.
Achyuth Vaibhav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2013, 21:46   #12
BHPian

What a farce. CBI interested only in madras exotics while all tax evading businessmen/babu's across metro cities evade this?

CBI should also start raiding I.T dept/excise dept etc etc who full time collude with tax evaders and probably they can recover more than the 600 odd crores being spoken of.
Ford5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2013, 23:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

OT: We all evade tax in one way or the other. People who are working are giving some or the other proofs to evade IT or atleast to reduce tax cut. So why not rich people? Just cos they have money doesnt mean they have to pay as well.

If we are getting enough facilities from govt, then its a different scene, so please dont compare with US, Singapore etc. If not anything else, see the condition of road itself and compare.
Unknownsatan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 08:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post

I am sorry but I completely disagree with most of your views.
Firstly, a person, more often than not, will evade taxes just because he doesn't want to cough up the extra money. Not because he can't afford it. As it is, these are luxury items, and not items of importance by any stretch of the imagination. If one cannot afford the taxes, then one shouldn't buy the car!

Secondly, how is collecting of import duty on luxury cars a wrong thing to do. Every country has it. USA, UK, Singapore, you name it. If you are referring to how high the taxes are then I have to point out India fairs much better in this respect compared to its south-eastern couterparts. If I remeber correctly, Singapore has a gross rate of 400% import duty on cars! Ours is a nation where the manufacturing sector still needs to be protected. So import duty on cars has to be a part of the tax regime. And to ask the govt to drop this issue just so that we can see a few beautiful cars on the road is, IMO, ridiculous.

Sorry if I have hurt your sentiments but the above is my honest opinion. One may not like a certain law prevailing in the country. But that cannot be an excuse for avoiding it!
No sentiments hurt but nice to know your point of view as well. One thing we can never compare our tax structure with that of US or Singapore. These countries provide way better infrastructure and facilities for their citizens.

Even in countries like UK citizens get compensated for vehicles damaged due to pot holes. Also our government keeping these import duties to protect local manufacturing is ridiculous because our local companies have grown a lot already.tata have bought land rover , mahindra planning to buy Aston Martin , is our government planning to protect such companies who can stand on their own now ?

Secondly owners of super cars and other expensive cars get no benefit for spending the extra moolah on import or road tax. We do not even have an agency like NAHSTA to look into vehicles proper road worth or whether it needs to be recalled.

Also why the CBI is targeting Chennai is unknown, if this crackdown happens in rest of India they will surely un earth many crores but
God forbid as it would only lead to the sad demise of these vehicles.

I am totally against these raids as it seems like a personal vendetta when the government hasn't done much for what it has got.
stanjohn123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 10:15   #15
BHPian

While evading taxes is by no means what a responsible citizen should do, and the rates of taxation on a particular item cannot indeed be compared with the rates applicable for it elsewhere, say UAE, a democracy should not resort to unjust or exploitative taxation of any item or a group of people without them being allowed proportionate benefits of the tax thus levied, and in no way the state is supposed to squander or misappropriate the moneys collected as tax.

Taxes on motor vehicles and fuel has been rising exponentially over the past few years; but ironically, we now have to shell out heavy tolls if we want to travel on the very few good roads that are being built with that money. Worse still, the tax increments in our country are not aimed at lowering the rate of growth in vehicle population, as in the case of Singapore, but just a means to raise extra money to pour it down the drain to the bottomless pit of vanity- driven pseudo -welfare schemes prone to scam.

That said, if I have a problem with the tax, I should not buy a car and thus spare myself of the unjust & exploitative tax (as I would believe), and NOT COMMIT TAX FRAUD.

And, many of the names that figure in the lists are not known to be exactly fitting the profile of law abiding citizens with pristine records!

Last edited by Yeldo : 25th March 2013 at 10:23.
Yeldo is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks