Team-BHP - Pics: Imports gathering dust in India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Super-Cars & Imports in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-cars-imports-india/)
-   -   Pics: Imports gathering dust in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-cars-imports-india/13744-pics-imports-gathering-dust-india-4.html)

Whoa, if you're getting that engine, let me know. ;)

Looks like a E34 5-series or a E32 7-series not sure, maybe you can post a pic with the whole side or front profile of the car?

it's an E34. If I am correct, it could be a 520i that belonged to the court of the King of Good Times or if it is TN reg - a 518 which belonged to a mad collector of cars based in Mangalore

Quote:

Originally Posted by vezj420 (Post 395207)
I'm seriously thinking of asking the owner for the engine! (but then, what would I transplant it into??)

Why not the entire car?

Quote:

Originally Posted by iraghava (Post 395213)
Looks like a E34 5-series or a E32 7-series not sure, maybe you can post a pic with the whole side or front profile of the car?

Easy distinction between the E34 and the E32, from this picture:

The E34 has a smaller side indicator lamp. The E32 has more of a wrap-around design.

Safe.

@vezj : Why dont u ask for the entire car... we all can pour in money to get it in running shape. Then, lease it out.

The reason the car would have been junked would probably be because of the engine giving up or some major electrical problem. These old Beemers were known for that. There are a few 5 series here too that have been abandoned.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iraghava (Post 395213)

Its a 5 series and if anyone wants one of these late 80's and early 90's machines (non runners) there are a few available in bombay for a song

OT:
V16,Were they that bad??
What all would go wrong with them??

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrous (Post 396131)
OT:
V16,Were they that bad??
What all would go wrong with them??

Most old Beemers had engine trouble/reliablity issues after crossing the 80,000 mile mark...quite usually. Therefore, the quick depreciation/low sale prices of cars after this mark used to be visible.

During the 1990's, a lot of them due to nikasil coating issues due to sulphur in the petrol. BMW quietly replaced a lot of engines but obviously, no support in India till now to do it here.

Also ECU's give up and they cost a bomb. Recon units are available though for a reasonable price

Was it only Merc that had issues ?

good points all. I'll try and get a pic of the whole car....I'm pretty sure it's KA registered.

It's probably definitely a major issue with the engine, since the car's been sitting in the same spot and situation for almost a year now!

Here are some pics of an Impala, a Morris(?) , karmann Ghia(?) and one unknown car.

The Impala was lying at the Palika undergrpound parking till some time back...

A shame to let such a sexy car just wither away like that.

thats a nice find...
the Volkswagen in question is a Type 3, not karmann ghia...and that isnt a morris, its an austin 10.

The unknown car looks like 1968-1970 dodge vehicle may be a challenger or something, any idea.....