Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2018, 22:17   #1231
BHPian

Re: Pics: Imports gathering dust in India

I wanted to find more info on this old petrol bunk on Mysore Road, but I haven't seen anything so far. It's called Bapuji Service Station on google maps. There's a collection of junked/relatively decent condition imports here, most are Toyota Crowns and Starlets and Merc W123/W124s.

Looking by its condition, this w123 was probably used as a parts car. It still has its original wheels though! In the background you see some Starlets as well.
Pics: Imports gathering dust in India-dsc03732.jpg

An 8th-gen Toyota Crown Super Saloon, this one had a 2.8L straight-6
Pics: Imports gathering dust in India-dsc03733.jpg

Pics: Imports gathering dust in India-dsc03733_1.jpg

Ahhh, one of my favorite BMW designs of old, an E34 525tds, with its original BBS rims! So sad to see it in this condition though.
Pics: Imports gathering dust in India-dsc03734.jpg

Pics: Imports gathering dust in India-dsc03735.jpg

Pics: Imports gathering dust in India-dsc03736.jpg

Another Crown, this time with the 3.0L 2JZ!
Pics: Imports gathering dust in India-dsc03737.jpg

A 9th-gen Crown Royal Saloon, also with the 2JZ. I love the understated design of this thing, and it's evident that it was heavily influenced by the Lexus LS400 that was launched in 1989.
Pics: Imports gathering dust in India-dsc03742.jpg

Pics: Imports gathering dust in India-dsc03742_1.jpg

And next to that Crown was this W201 and a very decent VW Jetta.
Pics: Imports gathering dust in India-dsc03740.jpg

Oh how I wish I could pick this blue w123 up and get it back together, along with those color-matched hubcaps.
Pics: Imports gathering dust in India-dsc03743.jpg

Pics: Imports gathering dust in India-dsc03744.jpg

There were a few more W124s and another VW Jetta and some other cars but I didn't bother grabbing pics of those.
sleeperwagon is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 25th December 2018, 23:41   #1232
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice find sleeper wagon, how I wish someone could purchase this whole lot and restore them one by one. None of these cars deserve to be in the condition they are in. But with the 15 year scrap rule coming in, green tax, fitness certificate etc - I am sure no normal person would even come close to these cars. Only a true enthusiast who has the time and money and the patience to restore them will buy this.
v12 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 00:11   #1233
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice scoop @sleeperwagon.

This thread just throws surprises at you when you least expect.

A lot filled with old imports, especially those Crowns.

Like v12 said, only a wealthy, patient enthusiast will be able to save these and restore them. But then, he/she should also have taste in these era of cars.

A rare combo to have in India.

Sad thing is even if an enthusiast does come forward, the paperwork (or lack of it) is enough to kill the enthusiasm.
DicKy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 23:28   #1234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeperwagon View Post

Ahhh, one of my favorite BMW designs of old, an E34 525tds, with its original BBS rims! So sad to see it in this condition though.
Attachment 1830858
Among all the photographs attached, I really felt sad seeing the photo of this very 525tds, known again with its registration number 525.
This car was restored completely in 2004-2005 with many new E34 parts and updated parts from E39 specially the seats and the seat motors. The owner gentleman also had a W210 Mercedes and it was an Avantgarde trim.

From the top of my head, I think his name is Mr. Reddy, and he was so fond of driving the propeller, he used to say that Mercedes still hasn't matched the older BMW in the handling department.

How do I know, I handed over the keys after the restoration job back at Navnit Motors, Hosur Road, Bangalore.

I still cant believe, this car is orphaned. I feel So Sad.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th January 2019 at 01:25. Reason: fixing quote tag / minor formatting
CaliforniaKnight is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th December 2018, 15:01   #1235
A.K
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wanted to find more info on this old petrol bunk on Mysore Road, but I haven't seen anything so far. It's called Bapuji Service Station on google maps. There's a collection of junked/relatively decent condition imports here, most are Toyota Crowns and Starlets and Merc W123/W124s.
I have passed by this place often and even tried walking in a couple of times only to be denied entry citing that the owner of the place would be mad if anyone saw the cars. Always wondered what all was lying in there, thank you for this post sleeperwagon! That VW Jetta is a familiar car, we have a similar one in the family in white and I have seen the red one on several occasions as a kid and was told that is the only one in red in existence in the city.
Any idea whose cars are these and if ever will they brought to their former glory? Or would he sell these cars as it is?

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting the entire post when responding

Last edited by ampere : 11th January 2019 at 20:55. Reason: compacted quoted post
A.K is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2018, 18:42   #1236
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Only a true enthusiast who has the time and money and the patience to restore them will buy this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
only a wealthy, patient enthusiast
Not just wealth + patience, you would need an emotional connect with that specific model to invest your time into it. One would do it only if one's heart is in it. As an example, I'll always have a soft spot for the W111 because Dad owned it at one time.

If you aren't emotionally attached to these cars, then there are a lot better enthusiast rides out there to spend your $$$ & time in. That's why I think very few of these will ever be rolling again. May they rest in peace.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 20:30   #1237
BHPian

Hello there everybody! This is my first post on the forum I am attaching the photos of a few imported cars in my area in Mumbai that have been rotting and have been lying in the same spot for a very long time! A few years to be precise.

This I believe is a 1988 Isuzu Gemini. It has been in my area since more than a decade now. It used to be driven occasionally till few years ago. Poor thing is in a sad state now. Please excuse the poor picture quality here.
Pics: Imports gathering dust in India-img_2209.jpg

Pics: Imports gathering dust in India-img_2210.jpg

This is a 1980s Volkswagen Transporter. This used to be very clean once upon a time and was used almost everyday back in it's hey days! Unfortunately it has met its sad fate now.
Pics: Imports gathering dust in India-img_6559.jpg

There was also a Blue Buick Skylark parked alongside these cars for a very long time. A picture of it had been posted few years ago in the 'Rust in Pieces' thread if I am not wrong. The car was somewhere in South Mumbai back then. It then came to Dadar, where I live. Around a year and a half back, it moved from here. I am assuming it has been scrapped due to it's pitiable condition.
BeemerBug_06 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 00:41   #1238
BHPian

Came across this first-gen Jaguar XF-R today in a rather dilapidated state. Out of all the fast executive saloons like the M5 and E63 AMG, I thought the Jag always looked the best. Really sad to see one like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Imports gathering dust in India-dsc04113.jpg  

Pics: Imports gathering dust in India-dsc04114.jpg  

Pics: Imports gathering dust in India-dsc04115.jpg  

sleeperwagon is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 20:48   #1239
A.K
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Came across this first-gen Jaguar XF-R today in a rather dilapidated state. Out of all the fast executive saloons like the M5 and E63 AMG, I thought the Jag always looked the best. Really sad to see one like this.
Whoa what?!
I've always loved this gen of the XF-R. This is in Bangalore? If yes, then where?
A.K is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 20:57   #1240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.K View Post
Whoa what?!
I've always loved this gen of the XF-R. This is in Bangalore? If yes, then where?
This was outside a garage called Premier Car Care in HBR Layout, very close to the BDA Complex. I've only seen luxury brands being worked on/parked outside there.
sleeperwagon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2019, 21:20   #1241
BHPian

Being a die hard BMW fan, it really pained me to see this 1998 BMW 525 TDS, E39 series in a lane near my house at Shivaji Park, Dadar. The car has been in the same spot since 2013, when it came here it was a very clean car. But it now serves as a storage area for spare parts There were many imported cars in this lane as there was a garage in a one of the buildings. However, most of them have moved elsewhere now as the building has gone for redevelopment.

I think images of this car have been posted earlier on the forum.

These images are a bit recent, post the 2018 monsoons. The car has just gotten worse.

Pics: Imports gathering dust in India-beemer-2.jpg
The Kidney grill is now damaged

Pics: Imports gathering dust in India-beemer-3.jpg

Pics: Imports gathering dust in India-beemer-4.jpg

Pics: Imports gathering dust in India-beemer.jpg

This car really got me Drooling right from the very first time I saw it! It's a real pity that nobody has saved it yet.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th February 2019 at 08:30. Reason: Minor spacing
BeemerBug_06 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th January 2019, 22:46   #1242
BHPian

The W202 series marked the birth of the Mercedes Benz C class. This particular C class series seems to be a popular 90s import car. I have spotted quite a few of them of late. Unfortunately, they aren't in the best of conditions

Pics: Imports gathering dust in India-thumbnail-2.jpg
A white W202 C220 Diesel. This car has been parked in the building's compound for more than a decade. It rarely ever moves and is in quite a sad state now.

Pics: Imports gathering dust in India-thumbnail-3.jpg
Pics: Imports gathering dust in India-thumbnail-5.jpg
Pics: Imports gathering dust in India-thumbnail-4.jpg
Another Brown C220 Diesel that is lying unused in a lane at Shivaji Park. The car has really fallen apart over time and has been vandalised. It's a real pity to see that these old three pointed stars are getting the treatment that they surely don't deserve.

Pics: Imports gathering dust in India-thumbnail.jpg
Pics: Imports gathering dust in India-thumbnail-1.jpg
Pics: Imports gathering dust in India-thumbnail-6.jpg
This W202 has been lying in the Paradise Cinema lane in Mahim since a very long time. It only moves to change it's parking spot but is deteriorating otherwise.
Bonus Point:- Check out the Honda Concerto in behind the Merc.

Last edited by BeemerBug_06 : 27th January 2019 at 22:53.
BeemerBug_06 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 01:06   #1243
BHPian

Here's a 1989 SAAB 9000 CD Turbo (LHD). How many of these older SAABs are in India? This has been left here rather recently.

At first when I took this pic, the space saver wheel was on the left side, but a couple weeks later it was shifted to the other side for some reason. Also you can see that over time someone has stolen the SAAB-Scania badge from the rear :/
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Imports gathering dust in India-dsc03903.jpg  

Pics: Imports gathering dust in India-dsc03905.jpg  

Pics: Imports gathering dust in India-dsc04184.jpg  

Pics: Imports gathering dust in India-dsc04185.jpg  

Pics: Imports gathering dust in India-dsc04186.jpg  

Pics: Imports gathering dust in India-dsc04187.jpg  

sleeperwagon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 10:52   #1244
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Here's a 1989 SAAB 9000 CD Turbo (LHD). How many of these older SAABs are in India? This has been left here rather recently.

At first when I took this pic, the space saver wheel was on the left side, but a couple weeks later it was shifted to the other side for some reason. Also you can see that over time someone has stolen the SAAB-Scania badge from the rear :/
I was wondering what happened to this car. I saw it occasionally and it came up for sale. The owner claimed that it had been regularly serviced etc. It was LHD so I gave it a miss.

Which part of Bangalore is it located?
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 11:30   #1245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The owner claimed that it had been regularly serviced etc. It was LHD so I gave it a miss.

Which part of Bangalore is it located?
It definitely has been worked on, that exhaust coming out the side like this isn't factory spec. Was it a private import or a consulate car?

This is located very close to the Banaswadi traffic police station.
sleeperwagon is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks