Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2007, 09:40   #136
BHPian

can you bring down cars like the vette because its a lhd from the factory they dont make rhd cars or you could get them converted or you could get the vauxhall monaro which has the same ls2 as vette.
Old 12th August 2007, 13:12   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan View Post
can you bring down cars like the vette because its a lhd from the factory they dont make rhd cars or you could get them converted or you could get the vauxhall monaro which has the same ls2 as vette.
you can bring down the vette. the rhd drives conversion kits are available for it and if i believe right then they have the rhd models for different markets.
Old 12th August 2007, 14:20   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
amatmo GM india had announced that the corvette and one more model i forgot its name could be ordered from the showroom. have not heard of any of these cars being ordered or brought down. toyota on the other hand wanted consessions to bring in their certified second hand car range to india but i dont know what happened to that. they however bring in the parts and do service any model of toyota. i wish they would import i would have loved to order the FJ CRUISER.
CBU unit as i understand is a complete built unit and CKD is a complete knocked down that means the car has to be assembled here. the advantage of getting from the dealership is that you get depriciation for it in your books and if you get it yourself you cant claim depriciation for it.
speedy the other model is the SSR pickup,it was there for the bombay speed run

OK,now i understood the use of CBUs,thnaks
Old 12th August 2007, 14:46   #139
BHPian

Quote:
you can bring down the vette. the rhd drives conversion kits are available for it and if i believe right then they have the rhd models for different markets.
no they dont make rhd cars they have only lhd they were supposed to make a rhd c6 but they didnt conversion is made but not sure if a in house tuner like lingenfelter and callaway do it.so you will have to get it done outside.
Old 12th August 2007, 14:48   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMATMO View Post
speedy the other model is the SSR pickup,it was there for the bombay speed run

OK,now i understood the use of CBUs,thnaks
aah haa! thats the name thanks amatmo. i had seen the cars at the showroom and at the drag.
dont thank me man we are all here to learn from each other.
Old 12th August 2007, 14:54   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
no they dont make rhd cars they have only lhd they were supposed to make a rhd c6 but they didnt conversion is made but not sure if a in house tuner like lingenfelter and callaway do it.so you will have to get it done outside.
both cars for india were announced in rhd. i am sure GM would be haveing a house tuner for the corvette for sure. i shall look it up now and gather some information. an outside conversion also would not be a bad job.
Old 12th August 2007, 14:58   #142
BHPian

Quote:
both cars for india were announced in rhd. i am sure GM would be haveing a house tuner for the corvette for sure. i shall look it up now and gather some information. an outside conversion also would not be a bad job.
i seriously doubt they didnt announce to the europe where it would be a better market for them.
Old 12th August 2007, 15:05   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i seriously doubt they didnt announce to the europe where it would be a better market for them.
i am only saying what was told to me at the showroom pawan. i wanted the vette from the showroom itself. so had bombarded the attendent with millions of doubts that i had.
Old 12th August 2007, 15:14   #144
Senior - BHPian

i dont know wich thread i should post this question in,but excuse me mods
whats up with these Kuwait registered cars ?are those cars here for tempory period of time?or are they waiting to get indian registration?or are they here to stay forever with that plate?or are those consolate car?.
I am talking about the four cars posted earlier o the forum

1>Dubai regd cayene turbo(white)
2>kuwait regd cadillac escalade(blue)
3>kuwait regd hummer h2
4>kuwait regd mercedes G55(spotted by gordon)
Old 12th August 2007, 15:20   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i am only saying what was told to me at the showroom pawan. i wanted the vette from the showroom itself. so had bombarded the attendent with millions of doubts that i had.
So which Cars do you own Speedy? and why dont you put up some snaps in your personal garage!! You seem to be a Very Enlightened Person on all areas on this forum! would be nice to meet you!
Old 12th August 2007, 15:23   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i dont know wich thread i should post this question in,but excuse me mods
whats up with these Kuwait registered cars ?are those cars here for tempory period of time?or are they waiting to get indian registration?or are they here to stay forever with that plate?or are those consolate car?.
I am talking about the four cars posted earlier o the forum

1>Dubai regd cayene turbo(white)
2>kuwait regd cadillac escalade(blue)
3>kuwait regd hummer h2
4>kuwait regd mercedes G55(spotted by gordon)
amatmo these cars would be owned by the counsultes and would be taken back when the person who has brought them leaves the country or is transfered to another country. they would be on the kuwait plates. if the cars are left back and sold the person picking up the cars would have to pay the duty and register them to indian plates.
Old 12th August 2007, 15:44   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i was aware of the manufacturers you mentioned above speedy,but will GM india import a dodge RAM or chevy malibu for anybody or will toyota import a hilux or avalon for anybody well if they do that it will be good

Can tell me the use of having CBU,what i mean is that even today we pay double price for camry and if we import it direct we still pay the double..then whats the use of CBU,a fully built import can also be mnaged in the same price

PS: please let me know how i am wrong..i didnt understand the significance of this CBU method of getting cars
No AMATMO, Chevy or Toyota will not import these cars for you because besides the RHD LHD issue, there is the Homologation issue.
Firstly cars below the price tag of US$ 40,000/- need to be homologated in our country, thats why most cars are not allowed.
Secondly LHD cars are not importable (so that puts to rest the Corvette etc which are available only in LHD. Yes they can be imported in India if they are converted to RHD (London na dDubai being the current experts in doing this conversion).
Thirdly yes one can import a car by ones self and yes it does cost approximately the same if you import the car yourself or through a dealer but if you do it yourself, theres no warranty. Also the companies have the duties etc worked out and so its easier to deal through them. Would you want your car to be stuck in customs after import for some small glitch? Say the duty amount on the GPS system is ridiculous. So would you want to argue for that.

Regarding the Kuwait number-plated cars, maybe they re temporary imports or counsulate imports running temporarily on Kuwait number plates
Old 12th August 2007, 15:52   #148
BHPian

Quote:
well indeed these are very big issues,we are all aware of the possible misuse aren't we?but i really wonder is it reasonable for govt to keep 105% duty?maybe it is about time they reduce it..but the reason i support our system is that it forces the manufacturers to manufacture cars locally in india..which is a national gain afterall

This is a typical license raj mentality.
If the Indian companies are not upto the mark, they need to perish.
Its cos of such high import duties that we Indians feel grateful and 'blessed' when there's even a slight pregress.

Similar example, the laptop I got from US for 20K is sold here for 75!
Forces manufacturers..! It also forces consumers to buy some crappy product for a premium price!
Old 12th August 2007, 15:56   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
No AMATMO, Chevy or Toyota will not import these cars for you because besides the RHD LHD issue, there is the Homologation issue.
Firstly cars below the price tag of US$ 40,000/- need to be homologated in our country, thats why most cars are not allowed.
Secondly LHD cars are not importable (so that puts to rest the Corvette etc which are available only in LHD. Yes they can be imported in India if they are converted to RHD (London na dDubai being the current experts in doing this conversion).
Thirdly yes one can import a car by ones self and yes it does cost approximately the same if you import the car yourself or through a dealer but if you do it yourself, theres no warranty. Also the companies have the duties etc worked out and so its easier to deal through them. Would you want your car to be stuck in customs after import for some small glitch? Say the duty amount on the GPS system is ridiculous. So would you want to argue for that.

Regarding the Kuwait number-plated cars, maybe they re temporary imports or counsulate imports running temporarily on Kuwait number plates
There is one small catch Sirjee.
the converted LHD to RHD cannot be imported because they do not have a homologation certificate from the original manufacturer, and so creates a problem in clearance. all the Hummers have faced problems because of this!
Old 12th August 2007, 18:11   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post

well,your right.well if that is the case and these cars are CBU aferall then toyota can just homologate all their cars..why do these companies have to think so much before launching these cars?anyway they are not going to get manufactured here.and just bring down CBUs according to the demand..right?
wont that be more profitable to the companies.they will be incresing the choices for the buyers and hence the market share(i dont know the expenses involved in homologation,is it too expensive?)

Last edited by AMATMO : 12th August 2007 at 18:15.

Most Viewed