Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2013, 11:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Lamborghini Gallardo LP550-2 "India Limited Edition" launched

What a Con Job by Lamborghini..Giving the people the old shape LP 550-2 with stripes and different colored stitching on both seats and then charging the price of the facelift Gallardo..a real shame and even worse is there will be the brand and limited edition badge consious people who will lap it up.

If you ask me i would rather get the facelift bumpers for the standard LP550-2, get it striped if i want and get the stitching on the seats and the dashboard in the same color. If i want the India edition badge there are people who can make it too. Why would i want to pay the price of the new Lp560-4 car and get an old shape car with odd and funny looking interiors.

Last edited by speedy : 20th June 2013 at 11:33.
speedy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 11:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
What a Con Job by Lamborghini..Giving the people the old shape LP 550-2 with stripes and different colored stitching on both seats and then charging the price of the facelift Gallardo..a real shame and even worse is there will be the brand and limited edition badge consious people who will lap it up.
Saying this again, but the 2013 facelift is only applied to the LP560-4 models and the 550-2 models continue unchanged. But yeah, the India Edition should have at least come in Supperleggera guise.
Old 20th June 2013, 11:41   #18
BHPian

If the same question of a replacement was being raised abroad, its a different matter altogether. The total number of Lamborghinis in India is not a big one. Apart from that the customs duties have gone up staggeringly in the last 2 years. In such a scenario most people who wish to own a Lamborghini find the Gallardo the most cost effective option to own a super sports car. This is also because Lamborghini India has priced the Gallardo very competitively, specially when compared against its likeliest competitor, the 458 Italia. Infact, even the California is priced higher than the Gallardo. This is also one of the reasons why Lamborghini was able to out sell Ferraris in India in 2012. Infact India and Singapore are the only 2 countries where more Lamborghinis were sold in 2012.

When the Gallardo replacement comes, it will be at a substantially higher cost at the factory itself, which means an almost 3 times increase for India considering duties and taxes. For many, even the entry level Lamborghini then will be out of reach.

So although we would love to have a change when we desire, economics have a different story to tell and (Indian) people are happy buying the Gallardo at the price at which it is offered. Thats more important.
doctorque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 11:47   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post

If you ask me i would rather get the facelift bumpers for the standard LP550-2, get it striped if i want and get the stitching on the seats and the dashboard in the same color. If i want the India edition badge there are people who can make it too. Why would i want to pay the price of the new Lp560-4 car and get an old shape car with odd and funny looking interiors.
Speedy, this is NOT a con job.

A) The 550-2 did not get the new bumpers. Only the 560-4 did. Even the superleggera and performante retain their old bumpers for 2013.

B) The price being charged is NOT of the new 560-4. I am sure you are aware that the duties went up in the recent budget. With the duty hike, the 560-4 also went up, obviously. The 560-4 is considerably more expensive than the 550-2.

C) Those who like the new bumpers can still order them separately as a part and have it installed.
CLS_55_AMG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 11:49   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
Saying this again, but the 2013 facelift is only applied to the LP560-4 models and the 550-2 models continue unchanged. But yeah, the India Edition should have at least come in Supperleggera guise.
Sorry edited my post. I meant the facelift 560-4 bumpers for the 550-2 India edition. I would not say superleggera guise but also it could have done with the facelift 560-4 bumpers to make it look different from the rest and it would not cost the company anything as only 6 cars are being badged. If the Indian Noctis could get the facelft bumpers and that to done outside the factory, i am sure the factory can do it too.
Old 20th June 2013, 12:11   #21
BANNED

What is the monetary difference between this India "special", and a standard model ?
Old 20th June 2013, 14:05   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
What is the monetary difference between this India "special", and a standard model ?
The price difference in ex showroom costs of the Gallardo India Serie Speciale and the regular LP550-2 with identical options is in excess of 15lacs. Now compare that to a post 2013 budget offering from any comparable manufacturer, if you know what i mean.
doctorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 14:30   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post
The price difference in ex showroom costs of the Gallardo India Serie Speciale and the regular LP550-2 with identical options is in excess of 15lacs. Now compare that to a post 2013 budget offering from any comparable manufacturer, if you know what i mean.

15 lakhs is like a fairly used Toyota Fortuner money, no? Seems high for such minimal changes ! I wonder how much it costs to make those changes yourself to a base model?

I don't know, but the entire thing looks very poor, I expected something grand, if not mildly redesigned, at least a face lift of some degree.

This actually seems a bit disrespectful imho, it's like they think people will settle for it, or that the Indian consumer is not worthy of even a face lift.

I remember when Bugatti went all out for a special Chinese customer, and this is a national dedication, not even a customer special.

Wonder why the different approach by Volkswagen/Audi ?
Old 20th June 2013, 14:40   #24
BHPian

Quote:
15 lakhs is like a fairly used Toyota Fortuner money, no? Seems high for such minimal changes ! I wonder how much it costs to make those changes yourself to a base model?

I don't know, but the entire thing looks very poor, I expected something grand, if not mildly redesigned, at least a face lift of some degree.

This actually seems a bit disrespectful imho, it's like they think people will settle for it, or that the Indian consumer is not worthy of even a face lift.

I remember when Bugatti went all out for a special Chinese customer, and this is a national dedication, not even a customer special.

Wonder why the different approach by Volkswagen/Audi ?
My friend, sorry for not being very specific. Entirely my mistake. The price on the India Serie Speciale is less than that of a regular LP550-2 with identical options. So its a Bargain for a customer who is considering buying a LP550-2 model as there is a saving of almost a Fortuner as you rightly mentioned, only if the decision is to buy the India Serie Speciale.

I trust that clarifies it all.
Old 20th June 2013, 14:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

This would've been a nice touch in the India Edition.

Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani!
Attached Thumbnails
Lamborghini Gallardo LP550-2 "India Limited Edition" launched-56679_377717298972737_1230273979_o.jpg  

Scorcher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 15:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

Fifteen lakhs is chump change for buyers in this stratospheric segment. Usually limited edition runs by these manufacturers are mostly limited to paint jobs and minor trim improvements. Take the China- specific Ferrari 458 Italia Dragon Edition for example, which just has Chinese livery and golden wheels, apart from subtle changes in trim inside.
Lamborghini Gallardo LP550-2 "India Limited Edition" launched-yearofthedragonferrari458italia1e1334085443413.jpg

Back to China again, this special edition 997 Turbo S celebrates 10 years of Porsche in China. Again changes are limited to the special paint, commemorative plaques, fancy trimming and Fuchs replica wheels from the 997 Sport Classic. Don't expect a country specific facelift, that would be asking a little too much.
Lamborghini Gallardo LP550-2 "India Limited Edition" launched-porsche_911turbos10yearanniversaryinchina2011_r3.jpg

Numerous limited edition runs of the E92 M3 have surfaced over the last couple of years, namely the Lime Rock Park Edition or the Frozen Editions. They were just M3s with fancy paint-jobs.

And then again if you're Eric Clapton, you can always pull some strings at Ferrari and get them into making you a one-off, ultra exclusive 458, namely the SP12 EC. And Koenigsegg or Pagani will always go all out make you a unique Agera or Zonda tailored exactly to your requirements, if you're showing them the dough.
AyAn! is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 15:26   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
15 lakhs is like a fairly used Toyota Fortuner money, no?
15 lakhs is chump change for the bragging rights associated with the "I own a special edition Lamborghini, of which only 6 were made" line.

At the luxury end of the market, special editions mean exclusivity & bragging rights (in some cases, a smart investment too, as they could appreciate). This is unlike the lower end of the market where special editions usually equate to value (inventory clearance = freebies thrown in).
Old 20th June 2013, 15:38   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
15 lakhs is chump change for the bragging rights associated with the "I own a special edition Lamborghini, of which only 6 were made" line.

At the luxury end of the market, special editions mean exclusivity & bragging rights (in some cases, a smart investment too, as they could appreciate). This is unlike the lower end of the market where special editions usually equate to value (inventory clearance = freebies thrown in).
and this is when you are SAVING 15 lacs while buying the special india edition gallardo instead of a similar spec "regular" LP550-2.

this I feel is where the "indian edition" comes in. more maal for less maal
samyakmodi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 15:40   #29
BHPian

I think that is a nice, relatively subtle special edition from Lambo.
I would think 15 lakh is a good price for the exclusivity and any addons that are in this car. At this price range, most people would not care for an extra 15 lakhs and many would probably be spending that much or maybe more on options and such.
Old 20th June 2013, 16:09   #30
Senior - BHPian

Just to bring the 15lac premium into contrast,

Here are a few items from the Gallardo Options List (prices in INR),
  • Transparent Engine Bonnet - 3,48,000/-
  • Front Lifting System - 1,23,000/-
  • Cordelia Polished Rims (Same as featured in India Ed) - 3,50,400/-
  • Carbon Ceramic Brakes - 9,87,000/-
  • Pirelli PZERO CORSA Tires - 1,95,000/-

Ye see, now the 15lac sounds like peanuts, right?
Scorcher is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks