Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2013, 09:51   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Racetech India builds a Ford GT40 Replica!

It looks nice and some of those photographs are great. It is always difficult really judge cars on photographs. A lot gets hidden.

Havings said that, some kit cars can be of outstanding qualities. The Cobra being one. There are replica's out there that are difficult to distinguish from the original. Of course, if it's build on an existing chassis with a bit of on odd engine so to speak, that's a bit of a give a away.

I've never been into these replica's/kit cars myself, but I can see why someone might find them attractive. The particular Ford has been of my longterm favourites and I've been lucky enough to see several real ones in museums and in classic races on the Nurnburgring in Germany many years ago.

There is ofcourse a modern variant these days as well. Jeremy Clarksson of Topgear used to own one an it features in TG a few times as well. And it suffered from all sorts of problems.

Still, stunning looking car too.

Jeroen
Old 14th November 2013, 11:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: PICS : Tastefully Modified Cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
One bulge too many doesn't exactly render it as a bad replica. It might not hark back to the original in the truest possible sense, but the good folks over at Racetech surely deserve one hell of an applause for replicating such an automotive gem with finesse, passion and taste.
"One bulge too many doesn't exactly render it as a bad replica". However, there is more to it. The air-scoops, which are too big for the original design... maybe not bad for the car's functioning.

Racetech have created a good imitation, but to call it a replica is not correct.

FYI

Quote:
Replica - A replica is an exact reproduction (as of a painting) executed by the original artist or a copy or reproduction

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replica

Quote:
Imitation - Imitation is an advanced behavior whereby an individual observes and replicates another's behavior.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imitation

Both these appear same (at times may be used as synonyms), but in case of imitation the exactness of the original need not be there. e.g. - it can be said Monalisa can be imitated again, but, to replicate the work of Leonardo da Vinci is very difficult (because of the detailed art work with the colours he created), & this is why an original is sought after, & a fake when identified rubbished in dustbin.

Also, I do not know about any road legal MkIIIs having the hump on either side.

However, what Recetech have appears to be a very properly finished product (even if it is an imitation), & if they could reveal the engine specs, it would be a favour for an enthusiast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E63 View Post
The production variant was called Ford GT, and not GT40.
And the production variant should technically be called FordGT44.

So when they said GT40 replica, the bulge is justified.
Get facts right bud... GT40 was the original racer in 1960s with 7 Ford GT40 road legal cars made & sold. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_GT40)

.... & the Ford GT is an American mid-engine two-seater sports car. Ford Motor Company produced the Ford GT for the 2004 to 2006 model years. The designers drew inspiration from Ford's GT40 racing cars of the 1960s.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_GT)

Hope you will appreciate that I know a bit about the original car.

But, does that take away the credit from Recetech... HELL NO
Old 14th November 2013, 15:00   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
ready to assemble replicas are available off the self as Kit Cars. not only for Gt40 but for other exclusives like Shelby cobra etc.
Check out these pics of the Shelby replica in Kolkata : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...ml#post3290409

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
For all you know this could be the Delhi GT40 replica redone with mods by Racetech.
Speedy, that thought did cross my mind whilst i was posting - but then for some reason i thought it wouldn't be likely.

However, now that i look at the pictures more closely, I think this is definitely a high possibility. The biggest advantage is that the engine & chassis would already be here, and registered.

If you look at the pics closely, some things like the pedals and the parts in the engine bay don't look new. Also my memory might be wrong, but the gear lever in the Delhi car was quite rickety, and that could have been replaced by a shiny new machined assembly?

Quote:
bulges
As for the extra-large roof bulges, maybe the owners/passengers of the car are tall. When i had seen it about 15 years back, the person who was showing it to me could not close the door after sitting in the car (the part of the roof above the seats is attached to the door on the GT40), as his turban would get in the way

The question is: Would you rather have a perfect 'replica' that is a pain to drive, or extremely close immitation that you can actually enjoy driving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E63 View Post
The * production variant was called Ford GT, and not GT40.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th November 2013 at 15:02.
Old 14th November 2013, 17:21   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Also my memory might be wrong, but the gear lever in the Delhi car was quite rickety, and that could have been replaced by a shiny new machined assembly?
Here's something else i just realised! I remember seeing only one bowden cable from the shifter... so i came back to this thread.

This this replica is running a sequential gearbox/transaxle!

cya
R

And for entertainment's sake, here's a semi-related video:

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th November 2013 at 17:37.
Old 14th November 2013, 17:35   #20
BHPian

Recieved info that the Engine was prepped overseas and imported this current year. So this may not be a refurb of an older runner within India.
absynthguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2013, 22:27   #21
BHPian

This car is a DAX replica imported into the country by the late S Karivardhan. It had a Ford 289 with quad weber IDA carburettors with a renault transaxle and replica Halibrand wheels. Since then (when i was a passenger in this very car driven by Kari) it received a chevy transplant and ........
i do not know what it has now.

This is how the car looked when it landed in coimbatore, way back then. Did not require the bulges to clear Kari's 6ft frame.

and the registration was tn .... 0065 if i remember correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Nice nice nice!!! Looks spectacular!!

I wonder if/what kit they imported, and where the chassis was made.

Interestingly, this is not the first GT40 replica in India. See below:

And painted:

2004 discussion

And here's a list of some of the replica GT40 makers:
http://www.kitcarlist.com/fordgt40.html

...and a thread on the same : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...not-dream.html

cya
R

Last edited by suhaas307 : 18th November 2013 at 18:15. Reason: Please avoid posting consecutively. Use the EDIT / MULTI-QUOTE buttons within 30 minutes of posting. Thanks. :)
e30b16 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2013, 22:35   #22
BANNED

Seen this csr being built at Racetech. it was in Red with running white stripes.

I am not a big fan of DIY kit cars. Anyone with a little high level of DIY skills can build one., its a KIT CAR at the end of the day.
Old 17th November 2013, 22:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

I am keen to know if this is street legal, aching to build a kit car replica of a car of my dreams BUT it must be road legal and so far my research tells me no way in hell can I register it. It is illegal and criminal to modify an existing road registered car with an body kit as the 3rd party insurance will be void.
Old 18th November 2013, 17:37   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Seen this csr being built at Racetech. it was in Red with running white stripes.
Thanks a lot for your input. It's evident that this is the Delhi car and not a new one!
Old 27th November 2013, 00:44   #25
BHPian

what ever it is, in the present form its a brilliant effort provided city driving is limited and, once you venture on highway then the real colours will show.
Old 6th August 2014, 21:27   #26
Senior - BHPian

Did not know there was a dedicated thread for this car until I saw the link in the Tastefully modified cars thread.

Here is a picture of the engine of the car which was spotted at RRP for some work.
Attached Thumbnails
Racetech India builds a Ford GT40 Replica!-img1072.jpg  

tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 12:01   #27
Senior - BHPian

The engine bay was bare when I last went to RRP and saw the car. Looks like work is on in full swing. Hope to see him on the roads in Bangalore soon.
Fullrevs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 16:09   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
The engine bay was bare when I last went to RRP and saw the car. Looks like work is on in full swing. Hope to see him on the roads in Bangalore soon.

This picture is almost 3-4 months old. I posted it yesterday since I did not know there was a dedicated thread until then.

The issue, from what I heard was that the drive shafts were not in the right alignment and along for some other work had come there.

Not sure if the ceramic on the pipes were done there as well. I was blown away when I saw the engine with the white pipes like tentacles.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 12:32   #29
Senior - BHPian

If your saying the pic is 3-4 months old then the engine has been removed again. I was there just last weekend to get my air filter re-charged. The entire rear end is not on the car at the moment based on my sightings a week ago.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks