Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2014, 15:32   #76
BHPian

Re: Hotel Valet crashes Lamborghini Spyder in Delhi - CCTV footage inside

i think the valet might have stepped on the accelerator pedal instead of brakes. OR might have tried to make the engine roar (forgetting to put the car in "P" mode instead of "D" mode) - which made the bull run!
Old 12th July 2014, 16:02   #77
Team-BHP Support

Re: Super-Cars & Exotic Imports Crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I jumped into the white 550-2 ... ... The first thing I noticed was that the accelerator is right in the center of the foot-well where the brake should be.
So I've been wondering how this awful pedal arrangement hasn't caused wayyyy more Gallardo crashes in the last 10+ years that Lambo has been selling the Gallardo (over 13,000 units at last count)...

Then i came across an interesting point on another forum: The pedal arrangement is only this bad on RHD cars!

On LHD cars (the majority of Gallardos sold), this isn't a problem since the left front wheel intrudes into empty space where the dead pedal should be. Only on the RHD models does it push the accelerator over towards the center of the footwell!

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th July 2014, 16:27   #78
BHPian

On a lighter note, poor valet must be feeling like Brazil football team players after their 7-1 drubbing in semifinals.
kamboj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2014, 16:36   #79
BHPian

Man i would be crying my heart out if if it were my gallardo. Even seeing the pictures sends shivers
Old 12th July 2014, 17:11   #80
BANNED

If you have a Fund-For-Replacement-And-Repair-Of-Super-Cars-To-Be-Crashed-By-Hotel-Valets that runs to 200 crores you can laugh this off as just another day. If not, you are supremely stupid and need to learn things the hard way - Never give your cars to valets anywhere in the world. Not just 5 star hotels. And if you give your car to your irresponsible relatives to have it crashed by a hotel valet you have indicated your idiocy quotient is even higher.

And the cherry on top is you (a) have made some headlines for the sensationalism starved media, (b) are the focal point of speculation in every automotive forum (c) will be wasting your time with lawyers, courts and insurance companies and (d) in the end get to face the music all alone.

Should be enough to make you Pause before pressing the Repeat button again.
Old 12th July 2014, 17:42   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
So I've been wondering how this awful pedal arrangement hasn't caused wayyyy more Gallardo crashes in the last 10+ years that Lambo has been selling the Gallardo (over 13,000 units at last count)...

Then i came across an interesting point on another forum: The pedal arrangement is only this bad on RHD cars!

On LHD cars (the majority of Gallardos sold), this isn't a problem since the left front wheel intrudes into empty space where the dead pedal should be. Only on the RHD models does it push the accelerator over towards the center of the footwell!

cya
R
Thats absolutely right, i have driven an lhd lp 550-2 in the middle east for sometime, never felt this issue, when the pedal arrangement issue
was mentioned in this thread, i realised it would be applicable only for rhd models.
Old 12th July 2014, 17:51   #82
Senior - BHPian

On the bright side this has created awareness among people and now they will be more careful while dealing with valets. Also, all major hotels would be following this closely and may take steps to educate the valets regarding such cars etc. There is always a silver lining.
I never give my car for valet and always Park it myself no matter how much extra I have to walk. But, many of my friends feel good giving it to valet.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2014, 22:20   #83
BHPian

I know this is not on the news yet, but the hotel has already compensated the owner with damages worth rs 3 cr. (insider info - legal firm)

BTW - in a situation like this, it is critical we all know that any one who provides a valet service or parking service or area is responsible for any damages that may incur out of using such a service, whether free or paid. (there's a case law for this, cant remember the parties)

Disclaimer: I've only got to know this, this could also just be speculation.

Cheers
Aayush
Old 13th July 2014, 01:18   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayushnair View Post
I know this is not on the news yet, but the hotel has already compensated the owner with damages worth rs 3 cr. (insider info - legal firm)

BTW - in a situation like this, it is critical we all know that any one who provides a valet service or parking service or area is responsible for any damages that may incur out of using such a service, whether free or paid. (there's a case law for this, cant remember the parties)

Disclaimer: I've only got to know this, this could also just be speculation.

Cheers
Aayush
3cr
They seem to have compensated for the repairs and the major hit the resale value will take. No one with the money would spend that much on a 500+ bhp accidental car.

So much for not Parking your car yourself.
Old 13th July 2014, 10:19   #85

There's lesson in this for all of us. Don't be in such a hurry to give your beloved car to a Valet.

I used to have a Type 2 Honda City (automatic). The Valet came back to me and told me that the 2nd was a little tight. It seems that he was trying to move it from 2nd to D3 and D4 while the vehicle was in motion. While the move from D3 to D4 is fine, its not advisable to use 2 while the vehicle is moving. This is why he found it tight. Most places the Valet would not know this.
Old 13th July 2014, 13:49   #86
BHPian

Couple of drivers who were engaged by me told that most valets are those who have little or no experience and cannot find a proper job.

A parallel is there in city bus services, where rookie drivers generally work at the bus depot before going on a regular route.
Old 13th July 2014, 14:46   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
On the bright side this has created awareness among people and now they will be more careful while dealing with valets. Also, all major hotels would be following this closely and may take steps to educate the valets regarding such cars etc. There is always a silver lining.
I never give my car for valet and always Park it myself no matter how much extra I have to walk. But, many of my friends feel good giving it to valet.
Always good to learn on other's money, or on their cars . I always give it to valet; maybe I shouldn't.

Cheers,
Old 14th July 2014, 13:00   #88
BHPian

I seriously doubt the hotel will compensate the owner for an amount of 3 cr,through legal recourse or otherwise, as they can always state that the disclaimer on the valet tags clearly mentions that parking/cars driven at owners risk.

Besides, they can also push for the owner to claim whatever is granted by his insurance co and at most pay for the remainder of the repair costs involved.
Old 14th July 2014, 13:33   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSAM View Post
I seriously doubt the hotel will compensate the owner for an amount of 3 cr,through legal recourse or otherwise, as they can always state that the disclaimer on the valet tags clearly mentions that parking/cars driven at owners risk.

Besides, they can also push for the owner to claim whatever is granted by his insurance co and at most pay for the remainder of the repair costs involved.
That disclaimer usually is not even worth the paper it is printed on. And 3 Crore is probably loose change for the Le Meridien group (120 hotels worldwide); an amount they'd gladly write off to make this sort of unsavoury publicity go away.
Old 14th July 2014, 14:23   #90
Senior - BHPian

Re: Super-Cars & Exotic Imports Crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
I actually feel sorry for the valet :(

And I agree with a comment above that a car this exclusive should not be handed over to just anyone except the trained . Hotel is responsible though that said because they know their clientele , they know the types of car to expect and so they should be aware of the limitations of their valets .

Does anyone knows though if hotel's have any possible accident caused by their valet covered under insurance ? I assume there must be some such insurance policy in place .
Well, there is a policy which hotels buy primarily post the 2008 terrorist attacks in Mumbai, which is known as a CGL policy (Commercial General Liability), which offers an extension cover to include any damages caused by valet. So if the hotel has such a policy in place then they can claim it under that policy.

I say the above as I am myself an Insurance professional and we issue such policies to our clients on a regular basis.
SnS_12 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks