Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2014, 08:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India - PICS

My friend's BMW was damaged ( only a small scratch though ) while he left it for valet parking. The star hotel manager took no ownership and simply dismissed the case saying we had no proof that the scratch wasn't there before we gave the car for parking. Since my friend was quite regular there, we din't want to make things look dirty and just left. From there on, I simply don't give even my humble Fiesta for valet parking.
Old 9th July 2014, 11:05   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFrancis View Post
Valet crashes a Lamborghini at the Le Meridien, Delhi. I'm curious to see how the hotel handles this!

Source
How can anybody in their sane mind hand over a Lambo to a valet??!!!!

Even I'd be nervous if I was given the keys of such a car for the first time and asked to park in tight spaces.

As far claiming damages from the hotel, I don't think that's going to happen. The 'owner's risk' clause on the T&C's of the parking slip will absolve the hotel.

How will the insurance company treat the episode? Will they be able to find some loophole and escape liability?
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 11:49   #18
Senior - BHPian

On a lighter note, I now understand why the exotics are always parked in the hotel driveway/lobby. Because the owner wouldn't want too much pain, and the valets won't want to touch it!

I feel sad for the owner - his wallet must be lighter by a few lakhs surely.
Old 9th July 2014, 12:10   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
On a lighter note, I now understand why the exotics are always parked in the hotel driveway/lobby. Because the owner wouldn't want too much pain, and the valets won't want to touch it!

More than a few lakhs I think but I think the insurance will take care.
Old 9th July 2014, 14:25   #20
BHPian

Re: Super-Cars & Exotic Imports Crashes in India

Who in their right mind would hand such a beauty to a valet! I shudder every time I hand the keys of my Figo to a valet guy! They all drive as if they are testing the cars for speed and braking!

I was in Paris recently for work and they were renting this beauty for 89Euros for 30 minutes. I saw it on the first day and was really tired from the flight so I didn't try it, but I will the next time I go. The pictures in this thread have kinda scared me a bit!
Attached Thumbnails
Hotel Valet crashes Lamborghini Spyder in Delhi - CCTV footage inside-img_5896.jpg  

rjun04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 15:17   #21
BHPian

I fail to understand why supercar owners give the keys to a valet. It's not like Monaco where something better will be coming along so your car needs to be moved.

In my humble opinion the car should be parked right at the front of the hotel to be admired by people but protected with a lot of red velvet barricading. The valet is at fault yes, but its even more appalling that you would give your pride and joy to someone you do not even know the first name of - trained or otherwise.

A supercar, especially a Lamborghini is extremely powerful and difficult to drive because of the pedal positioning and the way you sit almost to one side. It is not like any other car, not even a Ferrari which has a better pedal layout or an Aston Martin that is practically like a tourbus in terms of pedal spacing.

To me, its not the fault of the valet, he was just doing his job and probably mishit the accelerator thinking it was the brake pedal or his foot slipped off one and onto the other.

Owners, whoever's reading this - PLEASE, I beg of you to park your cars yourselves. Its heart-wrenching to see such heavy damage on a beautiful car and it only takes ten minutes for something that could save you lakhs if not crores.
Old 9th July 2014, 15:47   #22
Team-BHP Support

I have often seen, that many hotels actively dissuade you from parking your car yourself. They kind of insist on valet parking.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 15:58   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Sometimes it is better to avoid all that and just park outside. Especially for us Figo, Polo, etc owners!

Yes, the valet is to blame, but management is more to blame. Revving and braking is not the way to drive any car, it is not driving, it is playing, and the customers' cars, whether wealthy or humble, are not toys. Management should ensure that such staff are controlled. They do not need to have eyes everywhere, CCTV will do.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 9th July 2014 at 16:04.
Old 9th July 2014, 16:29   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taronish_E View Post
I fail to understand why supercar owners give the keys to a valet. It's not like Monaco where something better will be coming along so your car needs to be moved.

In my humble opinion the car should be parked right at the front of the hotel to be admired by people but protected with a lot of red velvet barricading.

Owners, whoever's reading this - PLEASE, I beg of you to park your cars yourselves. .
This is easier said than done. No expensive car owner wants to valet his car, I personally don't however it is a big pain to convince the valet or even the hotel managment at times to give you parking spot on a busy night.

Moreover, the valets are keen to drive the car hence they seldom cooperate.

It's often easier to take a car you are willing to valet instead of having to deal with parking your supercar.
Sahil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 08:31   #25
BHPian

According to the times of India Delhi edition a complaint has been filed against the valet and the hotel. From the report it seems that the car first crashed in another car and then the wall. That would explain the damage to the sides. Repairs are stated to cost 2 crores.
Link to the report is below.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/38098557.cms

Cheers
Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 10:40   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
That would explain the damage to the sides. Repairs are stated to cost 2 crores.
Link to the report is below.
Cheers
Rohan
Whoa 2 CR expenses for a 3CR+ car . Its almost as good as totalled. ! Though the pics dont look as if so much damage is caused . Thats one expensive lunch they had ! Not sure of the hotel guys would cough up the entire cash but atleast half and another from insurance should ease up the owner a bit.
Pheonix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 11:29   #27
BHPian

The article also mentions,the car owner was apparently not in the city and the car was handed over to the valet by one of his relatives. Most of the 2cr should be covered by insurance, hopefully he has a zero depreciation policy, still should take car of 80% of the amount.
TRANSAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 12:45   #28
Senior - BHPian

I would have to think the owner has gone for full coverage on his insurance policy. I cant think of anyone owning a supercar otherwise. I would have been totally gutted looking at that site.

These valets really misuse the car and dump it anywhere. Bring it back all scratched. I have faced these situations many times. They have the fine print on the valet tag that says the hotel or restaurant isnt responsible for any damages. So then just tell us where to park. I doubt those valets have any more talent than the cars owner to park their own vehicles. Even if it is a tight spot.
Old 10th July 2014, 15:14   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

It would be more like a few crores. To be precise 2 Cr. At least, this is what an article in ToI mentions.

Does this car have its engine at the rear end? If yes, it's surprising that the damages in the front portion alone would lead to such a huge repair cost (2/3rd of the car price).
Old 10th July 2014, 15:50   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham_City View Post
It would be more like a few crores. To be precise 2 Cr. At least, this is what an article in ToI mentions.

I clicked on the TOI link and after looking at the first picture published alongwith the article was just telling myself " the interiors of a Lamborghini look exactly like a Maruti Baleno" :-)

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th July 2014 at 15:07. Reason: Shortening quoted post :)
Rajeev1 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks