Team-BHP - BBC News article on Land Rovers
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Super-Cars & Imports in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-cars-imports-india/)
-   -   BBC News article on Land Rovers (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-cars-imports-india/15952-bbc-news-article-land-rovers.html)

came across this article today on the BBC News website, in the South Asia section.

it's regarding Land Rovers which have been used around Darjeeling for the past 5 decades and how, instead of depreciating, they have gone up in value in the eyes of hard-core LR enthusiasts / collectors.

direct link to the article -> Where Land Rovers never die, penned by Alastair Lawson.

i know Africa has been a heaven for ancient Land Rovers ever since the Brits stepped onto the continent but never knew something like this existed in our own country.

Hi aah78,

I have seen these LandRovers go up trails in these Darjeeling hills (especially in the Sandakphu trekking route) that would make the Tuscons, Terracans, and their clan choke - all credit to the excellent vehicles and extraordinary drivers that complement them. :)

there are so many vehicles around the country, that we dont know the value of...its a pity to see them deteriorate without getting their due respect...like fiats and ambys....what worries me the most is the rate at which vespas and lambrettas are being whisked out of the country...pick one up before theyre all gone!

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlosdeville
there are so many vehicles around the country, that we dont know the value of...its a pity to see them deteriorate without getting their due respect...like fiats and ambys....what worries me the most is the rate at which vespas and lambrettas are being whisked out of the country...pick one up before theyre all gone!

thats true. i've gone through your posts in the Rust in pieces... thread. it is sad indeed. i've come across a number of such vehicles, not only in remote areas but also in bigger cities and towns.

it may strike one as strange but the exact same situation prevails in the US - though one good point is that the chances of a vehicle being restored here are slightly higher than in India.

i've also seen a couple of such cars up for sale in Mumbai's Chor Bazaar (namely, a Dodge Charger - which will be fairly new than the pictures you've posted), then there was an Aston Martin which a couple of mechanics would drive up and down the Tata Press Lane, in Prabhadevi - making a huge ruckuss...

Quote:

Originally Posted by aah78
i've also seen a couple of such cars up for sale in Mumbai's Chor Bazaar (namely, a Dodge Charger - which will be fairly new than the pictures you've posted), then there was an Aston Martin which a couple of mechanics would drive up and down the Tata Press Lane, in Prabhadevi - making a huge ruckuss...

yikes...both quite desirable cars in their own right (irrespective of which model the aston is...!)

my dad was offered a lagonda in running condition for 12k in the 80s, and he turned it down...sniff sniff...sigh...ignorance is indeed bliss....

Quote:

Originally Posted by aah78
came across this article today on the BBC News website, in the South Asia section.

it's regarding Land Rovers which have been used around Darjeeling for the past 5 decades and how, instead of depreciating, they have gone up in value in the eyes of hard-core LR enthusiasts / collectors.

direct link to the article -> Where Land Rovers never die, penned by Alastair Lawson.

i know Africa has been a heaven for ancient Land Rovers ever since the Brits stepped onto the continent but never knew something like this existed in our own country.

Hey,

Shouldn't this belong somewhere else. Maybe in another section like The International Automotive Scene.

Viper

On a trip to darjeeling as a small boy, my family's taxi throughout the trip was A Landy Series 1 88-inch, which was in pristine condition with an unpainted body. All original parts, and the taxi driver was obviously very proud of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper
Hey,

Shouldn't this belong somewhere else.
Viper

thats why ive been asking you guys for a dedicated vintage and classic section!!! dont tell me theres not enough demand for it...read the ever increasing number of threads...

cheers
karl

Quote:

(irrespective of which model the aston is...!)

my dad was offered a lagonda in running condition for 12k in the 80s, and he turned it down...sniff sniff...sigh...ignorance is indeed bliss....

i don't remember what model the aston was.
wow! an aston martin lagonda!!! - that's one of the most exotic aston's ever made (in my opinion) - i've been lusting for one ever since i first saw an article on it in some magazine a long time ago. they're very rare, and even though they were notorious for their electrical issues (to put it mildly) - i'd LOVE to own one someday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper
Hey,

Shouldn't this belong somewhere else. Maybe in another section like The International Automotive Scene.

Viper

the article is regarding Land Rovers that were imported to India, presumably, and are now doing their duty in Darjeeling - hence, this section. :)

Quote:

thats why ive been asking you guys for a dedicated vintage and classic section!!! dont tell me theres not enough demand for it...read the ever increasing number of threads...

cheers
karl

will defn put in a suggestion for something to that effect to be added on the next site update - you should put up your suggestions here -> Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians. all suggestions put up in that thread are taken into consideration and put into effect, if feasible.

I second karlos on the suggestion for a seperate Vintage Cars section.

ahem, had put in a suggestion ages ago!

I third Karl here. Please have a section dedicated to Vintage and Classics!

Karlosdeville, Moralfibre & islero,

The mods are considering a seperate section for Classics & Vintage cars.
We will let you know the outcome shortly.

Gets get back on topic now.
cya,
R