Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2007, 10:16   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
i am sure the money is not a problem. you do get sponsors for big events. there is plenty one can do with the track. a big and well publicised event would bring in the crowds as well. frankly i had never heard of a karting school being run out here. i had heard of this track from a friend though. had never seen it. the timeing equiptment on the karts are bolt ons so you can use them and the set up also does not need to be changed on the track (timeing machines etc).
the problem that can occour in holding a race is that there is not enough runoff area on the track for high powered cars. the stunts and fun drives can be held in between the races. that is all secondary. primary objective should be if we can hold such an event according to MAI rules. i would love to be a part of it if i am able too.
It quite difficult to hunt for a new sponsors,thats why i asked if someone is already in to organising this kind off event then it'll be easy,, gettin permission from MAI wont be a prob,MOHITE will help us incase if we need any kind of FaVOUR,,i'll ask him if he proivde us some KARTS, he's owns couple of karts,
Old 2nd November 2007, 13:12   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its too small for cars.
Thats where the fun is!!! And i think you can see the whole track from where ever you stand.

Quote:
Instead hire out some karts(rotax maybe) and have an amazing mumbai-pune karting meet there.
No way i'm sitting in a kart. Too much of a "power to weight" disadvantage. LOL.

Quote:
How far is it from mumbai.
Should be around 350-400kms i guess. It's right in between Pune and Hubli, about 200kms from both sides. But the roads are so bloody good, you could easily average over 100kmph.

Quote:
It quite difficult to hunt for a new sponsors,thats why i asked if someone is already in to organising this kind off event then it'll be easy,, gettin permission from MAI wont be a prob,MOHITE will help us incase if we need any kind of FaVOUR,,i'll ask him if he proivde us some KARTS, he's owns couple of karts,
Like it's been mentioned before, Rtech and co are the right guys for the job. Anyway, we should leave it here and discuss this on a new thread.

Can the mods please do the needful?

Shan2nu
Old 2nd November 2007, 13:39   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelieboy View Post
once you tie up with MAI you do have the regular sponsers who would be interested. MAI would be able to help with that. like is said let MAI decide if the track is fit for the event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Like it's been mentioned before, Rtech and co are the right guys for the job. Anyway, we should leave it here and discuss this on a new thread.

Can the mods please do the needful?
yes i have always maintained that the right guys for this is Rtech and MAI.
MODS please could you put the last few posts discussing the rtrack event on to the motorsport section. thank you and sorry for the trouble.
Old 2nd November 2007, 14:10   #64
Senior - BHPian

Small tracks can be fun too -

Shan2nu
Old 2nd November 2007, 14:32   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Small tracks can be fun too - YouTube - Supra on Mini-Track Day

Shan2nu
nice video shan2nu. this is done with people with experience to handle the power in small tracks i am talking about novices. they do tend to put their foot down on the pedal and not letting go in the excitement. for the less experienced it is all about speed and trying to reach the finish line first but notabout throttle control and following a raceing line. i have seen alot of them go into the walls.
what i am talking about is a four or six car race on the track as well besides single car timeings.
you and me are no one to decide so i think we should leave it to the professionals (MAI) to decide if the track is fit to hold these events. alot of things that we do not take under consideration have to be looked into
Old 2nd November 2007, 15:05   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what i am talking about is a four or six car race on the track as well besides single car timeings.
you and me are no one to decide so i think we should leave it to the professionals (MAI) to decide if the track is fit to hold these events. alot of things that we do not take under consideration have to be looked into
You've got it wrong, we don't wanna hold a race there. Just a simple track day. Get your car, have fun and go home.

Shan2nu
Old 2nd November 2007, 15:26   #67
BHPian

Quote:
You've got it wrong, we don't wanna hold a race there. Just a simple track day. Get your car, have fun and go home.

Shan2nu
so if it is just a track day and not a RACe,why do we need permission from MAI?
Old 2nd November 2007, 15:47   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Shan2nu
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelieboy View Post
so if it is just a track day and not a RACe,why do we need permission from MAI?
with wheelieboy. if you dont want to hold a race just a simple track day then you dont need permission from MAI. you just need the owner of the track to give his approval and decide on what to charge eack car and how much time do you get. its like buying minutes on the track.
Old 2nd November 2007, 15:58   #69
BHPian

But who is Mohite?Is he a great driver?How old is he?Great collection he has got .Nice circuit.By the way how old was the winner of the race?
Old 2nd November 2007, 16:10   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
with wheelieboy. if you dont want to hold a race just a simple track day then you dont need permission from MAI. you just need the owner of the track to give his approval and decide on what to charge eack car and how much time do you get. its like buying minutes on the track.
well then it might be costly for the organisers because the cost of the TRACK for 2 days is quite alot,,can anyone PM me the cost you have to pay at COIMBATORE track or some other track where you have track day ?
Old 7th December 2007, 10:43   #71
Senior - BHPian

Father Fuels Son’s Motorsport Dreams By Building A Race Track!

James Jose I TNN

WHEN most kids in towns struggle to find a place to play in this day and age, Dhruv Mohite has his own playground. One fine day, the nine-year-old expressed his fondness for racing. And what did dad Shivaji do? The former motocross rider and businessman went ahead and built a sprawling Go Kart circuit in Kolhapur for his son!
And there were no half measures when it came to it. They went ahead and built the Mohite’s Racing Academy Circuit, which is the envy of the rest of the tracks in the country.
It also holds a National Grade A licence, which means it can hold National and Asia Zone events. In fact, it has witnessed many a thriller within a span of a year, since its inception. It has already hosted seven National championship events and one Asian event.
Land wasn’t a problem at all. With 200 acres of it which also houses the Mohite’s group of industries, Dhruv couldn’t have asked for anything better. Starting off with 750 metres back in 2006, it is now a whopping 1.2km with a really, really long straight and lots of tight corners and hairpins. “It is not one of the best. It is the best,’’ says Abhishek Mohite, his chest swelling with pride, when told about it being one of the best. Abhishek, who is also Shivaji’s nephew, oversees the Academy and the Racing team.
“As a family, we were into motorsport. My uncle (Shivaji) took part in motocross events. Dhruv showed a passion for racing but car racing was way out of the question because of his age. That’s when we decided that we will train him gradually and built a go kart track,’’ explains Abhishek.
Former motocross rider Ashutosh Kale, who rode for Team Yamaha and Team TVS Racing from 1995 to 2003, was put in charge of designing the track. Ashutosh owned a track called Hot Drive, five kilometres away, but it shut down due to financial problems. “They (Mohites) approached me with the idea. They told me they wanted to have a track for Dhruv. They also made it clear that it
shouldn’t be just a fun track but of international standards. We researched a lot, drew influences from the CIK (Commission Internationale de Karting, the governing body for karting), books about track designs, discussed it and came up with this,’’ says Ashutosh.
“We did quite a bit of research. We even went to Malaysia and had a look at the track there,’’ adds Abhishek.
“We are into construction work, earth work, dams. So we had the equipment to get the work done. I had the stuff and I laid it out here,’’ says Abhishek, when asked about the costing.
At present, with the current length of the track, some stretches have a maximum width of 12 metres and a minimum of eight metres. “We can have seven different layouts on this circuit,’’ says Ashutosh, a Hotel Management and MBA degree holder.
What about running it during the off season? “It is commercially not viable right now. If it was in a metro, it would have worked out. But then, running this track is peanuts for them (Mohites). Anyway, they run a dedicated Karting Academy here, so, the circuit is in use all the time. We have some very good drivers in Chittesh Mandody, Parth Ghorpade and Rounak Patil, who are all part of Team Mohite’s Racing. Moreover, it was not made with commercial success in mind. It was built only for racing,’’ Ashutosh elaborates.
“We plan to also have autocross events if possible, depending on work done on the run off areas,’’ says Abhishek. And this is not the end. Abhishek has bigger plans in mind. “We are thinking of building a racing circuit. It is just a thought as of now. We have identified the land for it. And by proper racing circuit, we mean on the standards of a GP2 track,’’ he adds.
Kolhapur may be a sleepy town in southern Maharashtra, with just a sprinkling of hotels and only one airline operating out of there. But with a circuit like that and a growing racing culture, it may well be India’s answer to Kuala Lumpur!
MOHITE’S RACING ACADEMY CIRCUIT
Track length: 1.2km (originally 750 metres)
Work started:
March 2006.
Ended: September 2006
Width:
Minimum 8 metres, maximum 12 metres
Events held: 7 National
championship events;
1 Asian event

Mumbai: The Mohite’s Racing Academy Circuit (MRAC) in Kolhapur has got the thumbs up from the governing body for motorsport—the Motorsports Association of India (MAI).
Robin Shroff, who is administrator and president of
the Karting Commission, India, says, “The layout of this track is very good. It mixes a lot of straights and corners, 90 degree turns, hair pins and no sweeping corners. And if you compare it to circuits internationally and Asia, it is not a tiring track. It is not that much of a technical circuit.’’
And Robin rates his very highly. “I would put it in the top 5 in Asia along with tracks in Malaysia, Thailand, Macau and Coimbatore. It is well equipped to run Asia Zone events,’’ says Robin.
Robin reckons it has a good chance of holding even bigger events. “They (owners) are applying for the CIK (Commission Internationale de Karting) homologation of the track. But first, they want to be get everything, including the facilities, in place.
They need to work on the paddock area, rooms for officials. They track surfacing also needs to be done. The run off areas are good enough,’’ points out Robin.
“As of now, it has a National Grade A licence which means it can hold Asia Zone events. After the CIK homologation, it will be upgraded to a International Grade B licence which means they can hold all events upto but not including World Championship rounds,’’ explains Robin.
With just a handful of exclusive go-karting tracks left in the country, the MRAC and the Kari Motor Speedway, Coimbatore are among the best on offer. “The track at Coimbatore is 1.1km but it is not an exclusive Karting track. It is a racing circuit converted into a go kart track. Goa is not a proper Go Kart track in the sense that the first corner encourages accidents. The first corner should be more than 90 degrees. Even the start/ finish straight is not long enough. Nagpur has a pretty decent track which is 700 metres but maintenance was a problem,’’ compares Robin.
Robin says to hold a big event, the minimum track length should be 900 metres. He plans to get a round of the Asian Kart Open Championship to Kolhapur and is in touch with the organisers.

Source - TOI
Old 7th December 2007, 22:12   #72
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Thats a whole lot of info,Khanak! Thanks for sharing it with us.
I was at some point going to ask someone who this person was.
Commendable job!
Old 7th December 2007, 22:49   #73
Senior - BHPian

Abhishek mohite and gang are very very chilled out.Had the opportunity to stay with them while in coimbatore,..no high-handedness whatsoever.
Its good that they are doing do much to help the sport ..
Old 8th December 2007, 02:33   #74
BHPian

KOLHAPUR
Hmmm those sugar cane farmers turned industrialists have loads of cash lying around...i study in a college owned by a Kolhapuri family, will not mention the name, but they own many colleges around Maharastra, and have literally tonnes of cash!!! I've counted 5 S classes in their collection till date, 6 or 7 V6 Accords, Lauras, CRVs, Octavias, Innovas, and there are sooo many more, E classes, Cs, etc...these are just their daily drivers!!!
[Yeah not all too many imported cars, but the thing is they don't just buy 1 or 2, they go in for at least 5 of every car!!!]

Crazy huh...like I said those FARMERS!!!
Old 8th December 2007, 12:06   #75
Senior - BHPian

but its like people with no taste.. its stupid buying cars like this in such numbers and sellin them continuosly these people just have money
no class

if they have so much money why dont they buy cars that are worth collectin like avinash bhonsle or yohan poonawalla now these people kmow how money is supposed to be spent
these farmers you talk off only buy things that are known too be expensive

mohite atleast has a good bike collection so we can consider him a bike enthusiast

but the collection you mentioned above is not atall impressive

it just looks like show of money power nothing else

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks