Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2017, 11:42   #16
BHPian

Re: 1st Tesla arrives in India - The Model X

Wow! Feels good finally. I had seen my first Tesla Model S in Bhutan, belonging to the Royal family and boy it was a sight to behold.

Wishing niggle-free ride experience to the owner.

The Teslas have somehow a bad reputation for quality control and often require serious repairs owing to manufacturing defects.

Some person on Reddit recalled that Tesla had unofficially adopted a policy of "Build now, fix later" to pushup volumes. Wishing the same is not the case here...
sharktale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 12:11   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
Wow! Feels good finally. I had seen my first Tesla Model S in Bhutan, belonging to the Royal family and boy it was a sight to behold.

Wishing niggle-free ride experience to the owner.

The Teslas have somehow a bad reputation for quality control and often require serious repairs owing to manufacturing defects.

Some person on Reddit recalled that Tesla had unofficially adopted a policy of "Build now, fix later" to pushup volumes. Wishing the same is not the case here...

Unfortunately very true. Back in 2013 when I still worked there we had to push out motors for the Signature Model S cars just so they could roll off the bamboo line in Fremont. With a super low yield....
Bhatman510 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 12:14   #18
BHPian

got caught up with a little bit funny Tesla light and door show video..

The feature was originally loaded into the software for the stage unveiling of the car by Elon Musk. If you have not seen the shows Tesla put on, they tend to be all music and lights, then Elon giving the presentation (very Apple styled..). In a typical Tesla way, the engineers left the presentation in the software after release for fan customers to show off... Loads of other oddments are in Tesla software (like 007 mode, Mario Cart Rainbow Road display, etc).

Christmas came early this time.

Please merge this with some other thread if irrelevant.
manaljain is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 14:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

I got a first hand experience with Tesla on their newly opened showroom just across the road where the iconic BurjKhalifa stands. Experience was futuristic. Theyre going the Apple way with cars I felt.
Attached Thumbnails
1st Tesla arrives in India - The Model X-img_6139.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 15:13   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
It's not about the software update. A lot of the car's features are dependent on mobile data. INCLUDING Navigation, which depends on Google Maps, unlike other manufacturers which have preloaded maps. Without data access you cannot reroute or get real time traffic updates. You cannot even navigate unless the map has been saved or is part of the regular commute.

The only way out is to put in a SIM card for data or setup a USB dongle in the car. Which is going to cost quite a bit since the data consumption is pretty high, mostly due to constant performance feedback being sent to Tesla. The company bundles in unlimited data when you buy the car, but that is restricted to the country of purchase. This is where Indian (and other places where Tesla is unofficially available) owners are at a loss - paying out of your pocket for data.
Oh come on!, 4G Data is next to free these days (3G is totally free). That's not a big deal at all. Why Jio, even Airtel, Vodafaone are giving 4G data for almost free. And for a person who can afford to get this beauty imported, the money for unlimited data is peanuts.
hemanth.anand is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 16:33   #21
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Good to see the start but..

This is based on hearsay (Basically my US based BIL) who has test driven various Tesla vehicles including the P100D while trying to replace the Porsche Cayenne /E400 Merc. The feedback was that while they do have nice 0-100 values they were very boring on turns and even in a straight line after the initial acceleration. Also having a large screen for monitoring and controlling everything is not the most intuitive way of driving. So while Tesla must be appreciated for leading the effort, those who drive for the pleasure of driving should look elsewhere.

It would be good if Tesla bought a conventional Automobile manufacturer. They do seem to have the money to do that.

So if Indian Govt. has it's way than we have only 12 more years of pleasurable driving.
ACM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 16:53   #22
Senior - BHPian

Where will he/she charge this? Will any charging station work?

on a lighter note, hope he doesn't get pulled up by our traffic police for 'PUC certificate'

Instead of welcoming Tesla to Mumbai/India, I would like to welcome myself and the community into the future.

cheers,
ac
ac 427 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 17:16   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
The only way out is to put in a SIM card for data or setup a USB dongle in the car. Which is going to cost quite a bit since the data consumption is pretty high, mostly due to constant performance feedback being sent to Tesla. The company bundles in unlimited data when you buy the car, but that is restricted to the country of purchase. This is where Indian (and other places where Tesla is unofficially available) owners are at a loss - paying out of your pocket for data.
I assume that since the owner had enough money to pay so much just to import this car to India, a bit of monthly data wouldn't really hurt their pockets. Just my 2 cents

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2017, 00:00   #24
BHPian

If I'm not wrong, the basic import duties on electric vehicles are much lesser (10%) on electric vehicles compared to non-electric ones' 125%. So it shouldn't have costed the typical 2-3x of the vehicle price for the importer.

Even third party websites like Zauba pegs the total duty at <30%.

https://www.zauba.com/customs-import...LES/india.html

Can anyone verify this or give a complete cost break-up on the landing (pre-road tax) price of the vehicle?
sharc_biker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2017, 00:11   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Good to see the start but..

This is based on hearsay (Basically my US based BIL) who has test driven various Tesla vehicles including the P100D while trying to replace the Porsche Cayenne /E400 Merc. The feedback was that while they do have nice 0-100 values they were very boring on turns and even in a straight line after the initial acceleration. Also having a large screen for monitoring and controlling everything is not the most intuitive way of driving. So while Tesla must be appreciated for leading the effort, those who drive for the pleasure of driving should look elsewhere.

It would be good if Tesla bought a conventional Automobile manufacturer. They do seem to have the money to do that.

So if Indian Govt. has it's way than we have only 12 more years of pleasurable driving.
And that's why I would always prefer the Golf Electric over the Tesla. It comes from a manufacturer who knows how to make cars. Cars have to and will always be more than just a fancy video game.

Tesla does have an early movers advantage here but the moment the other big guys come out with similar products. the crowds are heading to them...I'm willing to put money on that.
Old 9th December 2017, 09:07   #26
BHPian

Will be very interesting to see how this Model X fares in India. While being an electric car, it actually doesn't require even 1/10th of the maintenance of a normal ICE, but being a Tesla, electrical malfunctions (especially those falcon doors) are common and need factory replacement often. I wonder how the owner is going to deal with warranty issues. Also, those Falcon wing doors would be a nuisance in our tight parking and would garner too much attention.
Other than that, charging should be fine at home, so should other regular maintenance such as wheel alignment etc. However, Mumbai's waterlogged roads might not be ideal for an electric car. Also, being in America, it probably is fit for high temperatures (read Arizona)

On a funny side note, there's a huge bonus to getting a Model X in an India metro.

1st Tesla arrives in India - The Model X-modelxtesla800x600.jpg

The Biohazard mode with the HEPA filter would be ideal to help the rich privileged owner have healthier lungs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKap View Post
And that's why I would always prefer the Golf Electric over the Tesla. It comes from a manufacturer who knows how to make cars. Cars have to and will always be more than just a fancy video game.

Tesla does have an early movers advantage here but the moment the other big guys come out with similar products. the crowds are heading to them...I'm willing to put money on that.
I would beg to differ. While Tesla does have an early movers advantage and isn't as established as say Ford or Chevrolet, it has proven itself to be the leading electric car maker. The Chevrolet Bolt here in California came much before the Model 3, but is hardly selling. In fact dealers are selling them with discounts. Despite it being a pretty decent car with a substantial range, people have lost faith in traditional manufacturers who are too big. People are gravitating towards manufacturers like Tesla because Tesla is changing how the industry functions. It's leading with autonomous tech, and isn't afraid of using its customers as beta testers (people don't mind as they get access to the latest technology). Gone are the days when a car was only judged by how well it sticks to the road taking turns at ludicrous speeds. Cars are evolving to be truly efficient people moving contraptions. While I agree that driving is a truly enjoyable experience, the pros of a society that has efficient safe autonomous vehicles (maybe video game like?) really outweigh the cons of a society that has the mentality that cars should be fun to whip around and should sound loud and burn some rubber.

The way cars have destroyed society (especially in Indian cities like Delhi) is a prime example of how terrible they can be, and how changing the mindset about car ownership is a very crucial idea.

Last edited by prakhar1998 : 9th December 2017 at 09:21.
Old 9th December 2017, 15:00   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post
The Chevrolet Bolt here in California came much before the Model 3, but is hardly selling.
The Chevy Bolt is now the largest-selling EV in the US (link) at the moment. That will surely not be the case once the Tesla fixes Model 3 production woes. But, the Bolt surely doesn't look like a sales dud at this time.
Old 9th December 2017, 15:25   #28
BHPian

Wow. Looking forward to Tesla in India. How do you privately import one ?

What are the costs involved ? Do you just walk into a RHD nation Tesla store and buy one and then drive to the airport or port and send it via air or ship to India ?

What are the duties, registration costs, etc involved if anyone can through the some light on that, would love to know. Thanks.
Old 9th December 2017, 20:56   #29
BHPian

The fact that this is getting good coverage in media is great news. I checked with the guy who shared this first on instagram and he confirmed that this is a private import and not by Tesla. I follow Tesla religiously and have driven every Model S iterations there is until end of 2015 during my time in Houston.

Just came to say people comparing top of the line Teslas to Chevy Bolt and E-Golf are nuts. Chevy and Volkswagen know how to make cars? Ever heard of EV-1 and Diesel scandal? They just happened to be in the business for longer, their merits end there.

Tesla came out nowhere, made electric cars cool and desireable, kickstarted battery revolution, autonomy, built the safest cars in the world, on its way to disrupt the trucking industry, virtually killed the hyper car industry (with upcoming Tesla Roadster 2.0) and still some people think GM/Toyota/VW could do better. Well, they had 5 years after the first Model S rolled off the production line.
sreeharipv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2017, 13:30   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharc_biker View Post
If I'm not wrong, the basic import duties on electric vehicles are much lesser (10%) on electric vehicles compared to non-electric ones' 125%. So it shouldn't have costed the typical 2-3x of the vehicle price for the importer.

Even third party websites like Zauba pegs the total duty at <30%.

https://www.zauba.com/customs-import...LES/india.html

Can anyone verify this or give a complete cost break-up on the landing (pre-road tax) price of the vehicle?
It's 10% for CKD (Completely Knocked Down), 60% for CBUs under $40,000 and 100% for the ones above 40k. So it's evident it's cost the importer 2-3x of its sticker price.

Assuming this is the base variant, the landing price would be somewhere in the 70-80k USD range.
Rosso Corsa is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed