Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2018, 10:43   #16
BHPian

Re: Rolls-Royce Phantom VIII launched in India

Think of the family that bought apartments at Rs 1.2 lakh per sq ft in Mumbai.

At this rate Rs 10 Crores is just a 833 sq ft flat, and that too on super-built-up basis.

Why not a Rs 10 Crore car?

The point is, the more expensive, the better. It keeps the mundane 100-crore-patis away.
benu9714 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th February 2018, 11:01   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Rolls-Royce Phantom VIII launched in India

Horrible pricing. Might as well allocate 10 cars for India and auction them.
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2018, 16:18   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

First a really beautiful nay handsome car with the regal demeanor missing in some of the luxury marquees of today which are chasing looks that are youthful or sporty or feline. Good for you Rolls Royce. At least one maker has regal looks in mind still.

Coming to the price. Everything in life is relative. We may baulk at this asking of Rs 11.5 crores because it looks preposterous (read unaffordable) to us while forgetting that Rolls Royce are not targeting us in any case. Similarly the junior clerk or technician at your place of work may wonder why we spend a million or two rupees on a car while he makes do on Rs 35,000 a month. And further down the destitute homeless look at that same clerk with envy as he put-puts down on his moped. There are about 200 to 250 in India who own their own (held always through a company) business aircraft or helicopter and at least another 150 who would like to own one but fear the tax man. If all Rolls Royce wish to sell are 10 to 12 a year I suspect they know which door bell to press. Must remind myself to marry, in my next lifetime, a very very very rich widow who is very very very old
V.Narayan is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 25th February 2018, 17:19   #19
BHPian

I've different confusion altogether. Why do you need a V12 engine if you're going to sit in the rear bench anyway?
Nonstop-driver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2018, 17:29   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
I've different confusion altogether. Why do you need a V12 engine if you're going to sit in the rear bench anyway?
The smoothness and more important, the knowledge that you have the power!
ajmat is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 09:47   #21
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely ridiculous pricing!!

Phantom maybe a Veblen Good, but I totally cannot digest the ask here.

For this money, I will buy a Mulsanne, and also get a small house near the Nurburgring with a GT3 in the garage.

Usually we cry foul when a manufacturer tries to game the market and ask a fortune for the car, no matter how good it is. Not seeing that pattern in this thread here though.

Maybe that's to do with the scams all around and the general resentment against billionaires. Rolls Royce is becoming Robin Hood in our eyes.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 11:50   #22
A M
BHPian

Rolls Royce is a very niche brand. It caters to a segment that thrives on exclusivity. In the olden days they sold their cars to the Maharajas (exclusivity) and today they want to be associated with the "modern-day maharajas". This is how they want their brand to be positioned and rightfully so. Phantom being their flagship offering, they need to keep it away from the reaches of the commoners (3-4 crore Rupee car club) to keep maintaining that 'exclusive' image. For them, they have the affordable Ghost. Such a pricing for the flagship product raises brand's aspiration value even higher. More people want to be seen in a Rolls, hence, more sales for the Ghost.

Rolls Royce's philosophy is that they have no competition. Their officials have said this in interviews before. And realistically, in these circles, value for money is not the criteria for a purchase. It is the sense of superiority that such brands instill in their customers is what makes a sale. So comparing what Maybach offers for a fraction of a price is not right in this context.

I would say the pricing is OK.
A M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 12:20   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post

For this money, I will buy a Mulsanne, and also get a small house near the Nurburgring with a GT3 in the garage.

Maybe that's to do with the scams all around and the general resentment against billionaires. Rolls Royce is becoming Robin Hood in our eyes.
These are the kind of products that set you apart, very similar to how some CEOs and Promoters are taking the services of Boeing Business Jets (BBJ) when there are relatively cheaper options available for personal business travel.

It is "arrived" among "arrived" kind of status that you get to achieve the "demigod" status. The players in this segment are creating wealth in a manner, where they would not want to see "value for money" in anything that they do. The set the trend for others to follow.

RR Phantom is a tool for spearheading their agenda in life ! People queue up to open doors to these gentlemen.
i74js is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 12:29   #24
Senior - BHPian

Are the target customers or the ones who can afford it really complaining about the pricing? Rolls Royce has always been at the pinnacle if someone want to be seen, they probably would have a couple of Mulsanne's / Maybachs for mundane routines anyways.
Maverick5490 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 12:50   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post

Phantom maybe a Veblen Good, but I totally cannot digest the ask here.

Usually we cry foul when a manufacturer tries to game the market and ask a fortune for the car, no matter how good it is. Not seeing that pattern in this thread here though.

At this strata pricing is relative. You can't put the price on a Rolls Royce.

They can charge whatever they want and people will see value. RR is a brand / tag way above a Mulsanne.

When people out there say XYZ product is the Rolls Royce of something and then you actually have a Rolls, you know how important the brand is.

Really doesn't matter to the buyer.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 21:03   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
They can charge whatever they want and people will see value. RR is a brand / tag way above a Mulsanne.
I agree. I wrote as much in the Ultimate Luxury Car Battle poll.

Phantom VIII too is going to find takers, mainly due to that badge. And that's the reason why BMW just bought the brand name, the logo and the grille and said no to everything else outsmarting VW.

But, it doesn't take away the fact that the car is overpriced for our market. Why would a car in its second generation be more than double the cost of the first (Phantom VII)? Because they know they can get away with it.
Old 27th February 2018, 10:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

Do we know if the India bound Phantom has any options already ticked (or price built in) OR every car is made to order only. Considering the Phantom is near 400000 GBP as the starting price, adding some options will easily take it to half a million pounds which 4.5 Cr INR. Now any CBU in India is priced roughly 2.5 times its price in its home country. So this might be calculation applicable.
Old 27th March 2018, 10:44   #28
A.K
Senior - BHPian

No stopping the Indians from buying these despite the stupidly steep price tag!
Delhi's newest Phantom and if I am not mistaken, the launch car is delivered already as well.

Source
Attached Thumbnails
Rolls-Royce Phantom VIII launched in India-29416916_704446193279600_2736895457572683776_n.jpg  

A.K is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2018, 13:03   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.K View Post
No stopping the Indians from buying these despite the stupidly steep price tag!
Delhi's newest Phantom and if I am not mistaken, the launch car is delivered already as well.
I would have thought it would have been flown in as opposed to being shipped in a lowly container!
Old 27th March 2018, 13:21   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I would have thought it would have been flown in as opposed to being shipped in a lowly container!
I'm pretty sure Rolls Royce offers a tatkal scheme too
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks