Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2018, 18:50   #1
A.K
Senior - BHPian

Rolls-Royce Phantom VIII launched in India

Rolls-Royce launched their flagship, the Phantom VIII in Chennai today.
It is priced at Rs. 9.5 - 11.35 crore ex-showroom. I don't have anything more to say

Source
Attached Thumbnails
Rolls-Royce Phantom VIII launched in India-whatsapp-image-20180222-5.11.05-pm.jpeg  

Rolls-Royce Phantom VIII launched in India-whatsapp-image-20180222-5.11.04-pm-2.jpeg  

Rolls-Royce Phantom VIII launched in India-whatsapp-image-20180222-5.11.04-pm-1.jpeg  

Rolls-Royce Phantom VIII launched in India-whatsapp-image-20180222-5.11.04-pm.jpeg  

Last edited by GTO : 23rd February 2018 at 17:33. Reason: Starts at 9.5 crores :)
A.K is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 20:06   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Rolls-Royce Phantom VIII launched in India

The dealer will soon get enquiries from future diamond / IPL / liquor scamsters of India.
SmartCat is online now   (36) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 22:16   #3
BHPian

Wow!! Isn't that a price increase of nearly 100%. If I am not wrong, the earlier one started at 5 Cr Ex Showroom. I am not sure this gen is twice as better as the previous gen. Also I don't think the Global prices have increased by this margin.

If you take half out of 11 Cr for taxes, it comes out be 5.5 Cr which means a whopping 600K pounds price. They are definitely charging a lot of premium for this one in India.

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 23:57   #4
BHPian

Over-expensive. No 2 ways about it. I’m sure this car is not worth that much, considering Mercedes Benz offers the Maybach at a waaaaaaay lesser price point and is probably more technologically advanced (debatable).

BMW is just milking the brand and getting really greedy. Good times ahead for Bentley then. But you never know. The brand is too strong as proved by this thread. The über rich might still go for it.

Last edited by The Brutailer : 23rd February 2018 at 00:02.
The Brutailer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 00:17   #5
Team-BHP Support

Surely overpriced when compared to other markets!

But then, it was already at the extreme end of the spectrum where undercutting a rival in price doesn't really result in a sale.

Hope Rolls Royce is able to offer the ultimate in luxury and brand presence as compared to Maybach and Bentley. At this price - it will surely be more exclusive than the earlier generation, and who knows - the target customer base might even like it that way!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 00:24   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
Over-expensive. No 2 ways about it. I’m sure this car is not worth that much, considering Mercedes Benz offers the Maybach at a waaaaaaay lesser price point and is probably more technologically advanced (debatable).

BMW is just milking the brand and getting really greedy. Good times ahead for Bentley then. But you never know. The brand is too strong as proved by this thread. The über rich might still go for it.
To the contrary, I think this is an incredibly smart move. Consider the clientele who will buy this car: what is a mere 11 Cr. to someone who is worth 100, 1000, or even 10,000x that amount? Those same people are likely to also own a Mercedes-Maybach on the side as a more practical alternative, should the need present itself. With every Phantom Rolls sell, they:
a) Make a huge margin even after tax
b) Have their brand value skyrocket
Luxury goods have a positive elasticity of demand. The Phantom, spectacularly so.
Stigissimo is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 09:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rolls-Royce Phantom VIII launched in India

11.35 Cr is for the Extended wheelbase edition. The Standard wheelbase edition starts at 9.5 Cr.
Anand123 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 09:49   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

These companies are getting way more sales in Indian market than they probably anticipated. This could be one of reasons for such optimistic pricing. It will also help maintain exclusivity which is important for such a brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
The dealer will soon get enquiries from future diamond / IPL / liquor scamsters of India.
This car must have been sold out in UK where most of its potential buyers are settled currently.

Last edited by ashis89 : 23rd February 2018 at 09:50.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 12:06   #9
Team-BHP Support

I guess that it is priced high since volumes will be limited due to unreasonable taxes and increased scrutiny. Many of the ostentatious folks lived off the massive debt - Deccan Chronicle, GVK, Lanco to mention a few. Now that the banks are belatedly waking up and watching their debtors, I guess the market has shrunk to those who actually have the money!

Maybachs seem to be an acceptable corporate purchase. How many new Ghosts/ Mulsannes have we seen on the road. I woud bet that the numbers have declined over the past 18 months.
ajmat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 12:20   #10
BHPian

Nice review by Autocar. This car is as smooth as champagne jacuzzi. No overdone tech. Just sheer class all around.

The Brutailer is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 13:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

The old adage "if you are asking, you probably can't afford it" applies to this. No customer is going to buy this with a budget of 11.5 crores, they bring decide to get the Phantom, commission it and wait for the special day.

This car had 8 confirmed orders long before it was ready to be shown to prospective buyers. It doesn't matter if the price is up 100%, you're not affected by inflation and retirement at this tax bracket.
avira_tk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 14:31   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
11.35 Cr is for the Extended wheelbase edition. The Standard wheelbase edition starts at 9.5 Cr.
9.5 Cr and i still have to think about leg space and EWB?

Jokes apart, is it like bulletproof and armored or something, like the Mercedes in this price range? or is it just that 6.xx ltrs engine, with ultra sophisticated back seat?
Mission_PGPX is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 21:52   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
9.5 Cr and i still have to think about leg space and EWB?

Jokes apart, is it like bulletproof and armored or something, like the Mercedes in this price range? or is it just that 6.xx ltrs engine, with ultra sophisticated back seat?

I believe that would the most expensive real estate space ever!! 20odd lacs per square feet?
samyakmodi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2018, 00:17   #14
BHPian

Re: Rolls-Royce Phantom VIII - Chennai

Phantom on location in Chennai at the InterContinental Mahabalipuram Resort.
Attached Thumbnails
Rolls-Royce Phantom VIII launched in India-rr_1.jpg  

Rolls-Royce Phantom VIII launched in India-rr_5.jpg  

Rolls-Royce Phantom VIII launched in India-rr_7.jpg  

rubicon is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 24th February 2018, 07:51   #15
BHPian

This is seriously an overpriced luxury. But then whats the point in buying luxury at cheap?
Rolls Royce might have purposely priced it at higher side just to differentiate it from S-Class/Maybach/7 series/upcoming Audi A8 and even from likes of Bentley etc.
Its a fact that each time a new generation of S-class is launched, its way ahead of its time in terms of luxury and technology. When W222 S-class was launched it was compared to the Phantom. This might be the sole reason to price it on higher side. Besides this, Indian taxation helps to achieve such sky scraping prices.
With such price inflations, pre-owned RR looks like a steal! RR with just 5-10k on odo and ageing in between 3-5 years are available for almost 20% cost that of a new one.
ShubhamGhute is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks