Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2020, 03:16   #331
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cake Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
Here's me wishing him great memories and adventures with his new truck and being glad I could be a tiny part of 'The Carguy's Carguy' achieving one of his car goals.
Thank you so much Scorcher. For penning down the whole story so beautifully but for also most importantly also being a part of the entire story. A lovely, clean, legit import Defender being passed on from one enthusiast to another. And what better than it going to one of the best and most tasteful garages in the country.

Many congratulations DQ. Belated Birthday wishes as well.
Totally digging the refreshed look. What a Stunner!

Last edited by cityvic : 30th July 2020 at 03:18.
cityvic is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 04:21   #332
BHPian

Re: The 369 Garage : Mollywood's Petrolhead Father-Son Duo (Mammootty & Dulquer Salmaan)

I got a notification in my phone about the above update when I waiting in a signal while driving back home from my dealership. I casually browsed the post and it looked like an interesting one. I tried to find a spot as soon as I can where I could park the vehicle on the road side and thoroughly enjoy the story. After going through the whole post at least a couple of times, I am typing this comment before starting the drive back home.

I have been a big fan of DQ and his collection. I would love his stories and narrations in VINwiki YouTube channel. If at all you come across this post, belated birthday wishes DQ. You are really a car guy's car guy and living our dream.

Also thank you for sharing the story Scorcher.
vj123 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 06:27   #333
Team-BHP Support

Re: The 369 Garage : Mollywood's Petrolhead Father-Son Duo (Mammootty & Dulquer Salmaan)

While I quite like the 'de-pimped' look, I would personally prefer the set of wheels the came with, in the silver shade. Not so much a fan of the retro style wheels.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 07:29   #334
BHPian

I am so impressed by this dude because he got almost all the cars that I wish I could buy!
That touch of "Britishness" on the number plates deserves an oscar!
Also that wheel treatment and the new grille looks fantastic. Wish there were a few pics of the interior as well. Meanwhile, I remember seeing an old nissan patrol AKA jonga in their garage long time back. Got any story behind that? I am pretty sure it is long gone from the 369 garage.
Old 30th July 2020, 12:18   #335
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for sharing.
Background stories like this, just makes his car collection and automotive tastes more endearing to us.

It's been killing me since I saw the Caprice Classic in the trailer for Kurup
No Americans in the collection !!! Of course, personal tastes. But seeing his collection as it is, doesn't look like the guy who would just scorn off a segment of cars.
I mean. British, German, Swede, Japanese, sedan, coupe, convertible, pickup truck, off roader, SUV, station wagon, hatchback, caravan. Has it all.
One thing that would be a nice round off would be an american landyacht or muscle car.

Quote:

The car was a Red Cross release and hence was a legitimate import ........... Best of all, the car was TN regd which would make life a lot easier for all of us since DQ has a base in Chennai................. Also note the new UK style plates which I feel is a nice nod to it's English roots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Other than Carnet. Old/used imports have to be either built before 1950 or shouldn't be older than five years.
Or is there any loophole to import cars older than five years?
And.....I feel stupid to assume this was a recent import

Last edited by DicKy : 30th July 2020 at 12:25.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 20:24   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
A lovely, clean, legit import Defender being passed on from one enthusiast to another.
Amen to that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
Also thank you for sharing the story Scorcher.
Pleasure is all mine. Glad you enjoyed it

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilonSpitfire View Post
It is confirmed that Dulquer owns a defender 110 but there are rumours that Prithvi acquired a defender 90 too. Any one got a clue
It's true, Prithviraj has also added a Defender to his collection.

No, it's not a 90 but again a nice clean 110 from Trivandrum but a mid-90s one.

DQ's love for youngtimers seem infectious as he hasn't stopped at the Defender also. More on this some other time
Scorcher is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 21:20   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyfiesta View Post
Few queries regarding 369 garage :
1. Why they are not bringing their 911 GT3 to Kochi?
2. What went wrong with their fully restored W123? I've seen that one lying at Mustang Motors for few months. No idea about whether they took it back to home or not.
3. Do they got their new caravan delivered? Or is it still lying at the builder's place?
4. I've heard that Dulquer had acquired a Datsun 1200 from Mumbai via Signature Cars a couple of months back. Is it undergoing restoration? Or did he dropped the plan?
5. Do they still have the following cars :
• Land Cruiser J80
• Land Cruiser J100 (Maroon)
• W140 S Class
• W212 E Class
• Cooper S R56
6. Did Mammootty used to own any Bimmer before his black X5 and E60 525d?
7. Also, which all models of Mercedes did Mammootty had before 2011?

Asking all these just because of curiosity
Did anyone know about these things? It's been long since I saw updates about the oldest LCs from Dq's garage

Last edited by Shreyfiesta : 30th July 2020 at 21:21. Reason: Spelling error
Old 30th July 2020, 21:25   #338
BHPian

Hope to see a GTR, RX7 or S2000 in his garage!
Thanks for the defender story scorcher, being an avid defender fanboy I have been waiting anxiously for the story.

Last edited by QuilonSpitfire : 30th July 2020 at 21:27.
Old 30th July 2020, 21:53   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Few queries regarding 369 garage :
1. Why they are not bringing their 911 GT3 to Kochi?
I strongly suspect maybe that's because it's already in Kochi?

Quote:
Did anyone know about these things? It's been long since I saw updates about the oldest LCs from Dq's garage
All of older LCs are still very much in the collection, just the 200s left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilonSpitfire View Post
Hope to see a GTR, RX7 or S2000 in his garage!
+1!

Some minor tweaks happened already and now it wears new amber clear LED signal lights all around. Subtle but substantial.
Attached Thumbnails
The 369 Garage : Mollywood's Petrolhead Father-Son Duo (Mammootty & Dulquer Salmaan)-watermark_20200730214508698.jpg  

The 369 Garage : Mollywood's Petrolhead Father-Son Duo (Mammootty & Dulquer Salmaan)-watermark_20200730214551184.jpg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st August 2020 at 12:27. Reason: Removing SMS lingo. Thanks.
Scorcher is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 22:09   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Some minor tweaks happened already and now it wears new amber clear LED signal lights all around. Subtle but substantial.
NIce, is that a puddle of leaked oil under the car? They are famous for it

Last edited by Rehaan : 31st July 2020 at 12:45. Reason: Shortening quote :)
Old 31st July 2020, 13:03   #341
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
It's a mid-noughties Land Rover Defender 110 with a TD5 engine, a manual gearbox and a 9 seater specification. The car was a Red Cross release and hence was a legitimate import with a well documented history and I kid you not, a list of modifications that very nearly ran into 3 digits. Best of all, the car was TN regd which would make life a lot easier for all of us since DQ has a base in Chennai.

Here's me wishing him great memories and adventures with his new truck and being glad I could be a tiny part of 'The Carguy's Carguy' achieving one of his car goals.

The End.
Fantastic write up. I've become a fan of DQ reading this thread, definitely 'The Carguy's Carguy'. My cousin worked on the movie Karwaan and I remember him telling me DQ is super chill to talk with as well.

I think I'll watch his movie The Zoya Factor this weekend

Last edited by AZT : 31st July 2020 at 13:04.
Old 31st July 2020, 13:18   #342
Senior - BHPian

Wow! The Land Rover looks superrrb. Wonder how many of these we have left in India in this condition. BTW, in UK, they have front plate in white and rear in yellow. Don't know why, though. May be you can tell from a distance whether a car is coming or going.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 14:29   #343
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
He had decided to give the truck a modern fascia and the parts from Twisted included a brand new radiator grille, a new shorter and more aggressive bumper with integrated LED DRLs and a new set of rather retro fashion wheels, also new LED lamps all around, a new set of Cooper AT tyres and a few other bits and bobs. Some of which you'd be amused to learn he installed it himself at his home garage. Yes, the man works on his cars too!

So without further ado, for the first time, I present to you this new addition to the 369 Garage in all its glory as it sits today!

Absolutely love the new avatar. Looks just as butch as it is elegant. A worthy addition to the 369 garage.

Glad to know there are BHPians involved in this story.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 15:24   #344
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

So without further ado, for the first time, I present to you this new addition to the 369 Garage in all its glory as it sits today!
Thanks for sharing .

Could you please show us some interior pictures of this beautiful timeless LR?
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 09:28   #345
Senior - BHPian

American Chevrolet Caprice Classic from his upcoming movie 'Kurup' teaser.

May be a sign of things to come?
That defender number plate is illegal and should go.
Latheesh is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed