Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2018, 16:54   #151
BHPian

Re: Fatal Ferrari California accident in Kolkata

Quote:
Originally Posted by theapollohelios View Post

One of the less talked about point of this crash was the truck, which according to initial reports was a major cause of this tragic accident. Trucks with faulty brakes, indicators, headlights or sleepy drivers can be often spotted on the roads. No one on the thread was surprised that the trucker didn't use indicators to signal lane shift. This seriously needs to change. Yes, its our responsibility to look out for others mistakes while not making mistakes ourselves, but this shouldn't give a free-pass to miscreants. Having truck caused accident is apparently so common it's made its way into Bollywood using it as a manner to conveniently kill off people. I sincerely hope steps are taken at a ministerial level to curb this "chalta hai" attitude of truckers.
This is such a valid point. I completely agree with you.
Usually in India "they say" that if you are wealthy and rich you can get away with any crime. But one place where that is never true is during road accidents.
Trucks and other commercial vehicles cause these accidents on a daily if not hourly basis 24/7 & 52 weeks an year. Almost always the truck driver involved just gets out of the truck post the accident and flees. After that no body bothers who he is, where he's absconding and no investigation is initiated against him. Where as when one is driving a Ferrari it makes front page news,and you see comments in online news article such as this.
Quote:
Very good , Before they kill some innocent pedestrians , its better they rammed into their coffins. These bludy ameer baap ki bigdi aulaad deserve this.
Direct quote of a comment from this article. https://www.financialexpress.com/ind...riend/1191860/
It is appalling and really ticks me off the way people react with such jealousy, hatred and insensitivity to a successful man even in his death. Backward mentality, "Pass harsh judgement without an iota of factual information and at the drop of a hat".

On a lighter note I am reminded of one Celebrity/Successful man by a meme I had seen a while ago. Who manages to escape the clutches of the law.
Quote:
Brad+Angelina=Brangelina
Saif+Kareena=Saifeena

Bhai+Jail=Bail

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd June 2018 at 19:40. Reason: Toned down.
Turrrb0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2018, 18:32   #152
Senior - BHPian

Small trucks, Aces, 407s and other medium heavy commercial vehicles are a bit adventurous in how they conduct themselves on road, but in my experience heavy commercial vehicles, which consist of the majority of the commercial vehicle traffic outside and away from cities, are usually very predictable and quite self-aware of their surroundings. Yes sometimes they are scattered around in different lanes, but take a stock of the situation, give them a flash to signal your intentions, and off you go. They rarely 'suddenly move'. Also, while overtaking, I personally do not like blasting past at 2-3 times the speed of the car I am overtaking. Doesn't give me much time to adjust to any changes of intention of the overtaken! causing crashes on a hourly basis? Too much of an exaggeration. Most of the accidents on highways are usually driver errors of private vehicles. For eg, many of these pedal-to-the-metal tour drivers who get into an accident by overtaking without checking if the coast is clear.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd July 2018 at 07:14. Reason: Typo: is =in
avishar is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 24th June 2018, 02:00   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Small trucks, Aces, 407s and other medium heavy
accident by overtaking without checking if the coast is clear.
You do make a valid point and I agree. But when I had said trucks and other commercial vehicles, I meant to include those you mentioned in your first line, and also buses, mopeds and pedestrians. They cause the majority of the accidents in my opinion especially if the highway passes through a town.
Turrrb0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2018, 14:51   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
similarly when supercars are involved in an accident anywhere, by default it is presumed the supercar was speeding. Now we cant pass judgement without knowing the whole story, but when I read the news, the below video I saw last year came flashing in my mind.

Nobody presumed anything - the fact that the car was absolutely bashed up and the speedo was stuck at 130kmph speaks for itself . No car , not even an Alto will be destroyed in that manner if the crash occured at 50kmph speed . In addition to that , videos of their rides clearly illustrates their reckless driving as a group .
basuroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2018, 01:39   #155
BANNED

I hope the young girl injured in the accident has recovered. I heard that she was shifted to Singapore for treatment. Why is it that our "highways" mostly have only two up and two down lanes? Again why is it that trucks and buses consistently drive on either the middle lane or the fast lane? I understand that trucks move a great deal of economic goods in the country but so do they in other countries and I've driven in the UK and USA and I hardly ever have seen trucks driving as they do in India. Why? Again on these so-called "highways" I've often seen vehicles coming down the wrong way. Why? No cameras no law enforcement - nothing? The Ferrari driver was wrong to drive at such a high speed in traffic - but there is a lot more wrong with our roads and driving. Any suggestions on how this can be put right? Instead of treating the Motor Vehicles act and the highway code as a joke, can't we have cameras and fines before we leave the motorways? Can we have a minimum and more stringent license qualification for truck drivers before they drive on highways? Can we have highway patrols - manned by educated police - do police need to be graduated in traffic laws and rules before they take up traffic duty? A lot of lives can be saved if those people weren't solely focussed on collecting bribes. That said, I know many educated people who do not know that passing a car from the left (undertaking) in India is a violation of Traffic rules - UNLESS the car in front has his indicator on signalling that he is turning right. Again - some people use their indicators to signal cars behind them to pass them. That is dangerous and can lead to accidents - indicators are for turning.
Old 2nd July 2018, 12:18   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
This is a well-known supercar owner in Bangalore
The Mutt at 0:50 and public (online & on the road) have a lot in common. Both have something to say/bark at the Ferrari, dont know if its a praise or anger or discontent. Both are outside the Ferrari, not inside it, trying to make their opinion heard... many more.

But sadly the "Ferrari's" roar is too loud for the "Barks" to be heard inside...

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd July 2018 at 12:25. Reason: Removing URL from quoted post
Old 2nd July 2018, 12:19   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperweight View Post
Again why is it that trucks and buses consistently drive on either the middle lane or the fast lane?
That's one of my pet peeves about driving in highways in India. Trucks / Busses / Goods carriers will hog the fast lane at slow speeds and expect you to pass them on the wrong side.

The only reason I have been able to rationalize is that they want to maintain a steady pace so as to extract maximum mileage. To avoid abuse to the vehicles, truck owners give drivers a daily allowance for fuel, whatever they save is theirs to keep, hence they have a tendency to nurse the vehicle to extract maximum mileage which in turn also protects the truck itself from damage from spurious fuel, accidents, wear and tear etc.

Local traffic like motorcycles etc tend to interfere with this steady pace in the slow lane and also increases the chances of knocking them over, so the trucks just stick to the fast lane and expect you to pass them on the wrong and be damned if you endanger yourself or the motorcyclist on the road doing that.. they don't care.
kimmig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2018, 14:45   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmig View Post
The only reason I have been able to rationalize is that they want to maintain a steady pace so as to extract maximum mileage. To avoid abuse to the vehicles, truck owners give drivers a daily allowance for fuel, whatever they save is theirs to keep, hence they have a tendency to nurse the vehicle to extract maximum mileage which in turn also protects the truck itself from damage from spurious fuel, accidents, wear and tear etc.
There are couple more reason, real or perceived I don't know.

Theres a strong notion amoung trucking community that the left most line is the weakest surface of the road and driving truck there is inviting trouble by the increased chances of trucks getting bogged down etc specially on rainy season - apperently this was conveyed to them by the employees of highway contractors, specially the drivers.

Another is, the random unmarked entry points from various villages etc., and the resultant potential of collisions with random vehicles and jaywalkers therefrom.

I had opportunity to talk to over 200 truck drivers (2 seasons of Tata Truck Racing programme) and this view was universally held by almost all of them.

The reasons mentioned by Kimming as well was often aired by them

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram

Last edited by ajmat : 3rd July 2018 at 09:24. Reason: minor typo
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2018, 22:48   #159
Senior - BHPian

In the Bangalore Ferrari video, I don't think the howl it makes is street legal. It is very loud and startling. The driver should be caught for that alone.
Gansan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2018, 09:51   #160
Senior - BHPian

Another accident where the car has been impaled by the railing. Fortunately no fatalities as the railing went through the middle of the car. and there was no passenger in middle of the rear seat.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/64847412.cms

How poorly designed are these railings? Should the ends not be diverted into the ground or perhaps away from the oncoming traffic? Is anyone made accountable for such shoddy life threatening designs?
Old 10th July 2018, 10:34   #161
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Poor chap suffered 40 fractures in the crash! God bless his soul.

Full Article
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 13:13   #162
Team-BHP Support

From the above TOI link:

Fatal Ferrari California accident in Kolkata-toi.jpg

Wonder what it means!
Old 10th July 2018, 13:29   #163
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Wonder what it means!
Only thing I can think of is a speed limiter function was/got activated (Like you see "LIM" on the BMWs).
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 14:35   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
From the above TOI link:

Attachment 1780587

Wonder what it means!

Does it mean at 130 km/h he was not speeding? I.e. he was at or below the legal speed limit?

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed