Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2018, 17:59   #31
BHPian

Re: Fatal Ferrari California accident in Kolkata

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I read / heard somewhere that he had already bought the car; just the transfer formalities were pending.
I hear from my sources that he was on the fence about buying this car and used to drive it often over the last few weeks to make a decision. Mr. Suresh Tolani also mentioned the same to the TOI spokesperson.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/64441857.cms

Last edited by nerd1200 : 4th June 2018 at 18:00. Reason: Added link to the report
nerd1200 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 18:25   #32
Senior - BHPian

I read from the reports that he was alive for 1 agonizing hour, trapped in the car. What a terrible way to die. Can't imagine the permanent scar this must have left on the psyche of his friends too who were riding with him and stood there helpless to save him.

It is appalling that the emergency and rescue services on a national highway were insufficient to save a life due to lack of equipment.
amitoj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 18:55   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I read / heard somewhere that he had already bought the car; just the transfer formalities were pending.
Yes, that is what I think was the case. Since anyone who used to 'follow' the Club on Instagram and Facebook would have seen posts of Mr Roy being 'welcomed' into the 'Ferrari Club', with Mr Tolani handing him over the keys. It was after that, that the four core members of the Club took their Ferraris and drove to Bhubaneshwar. But since the transfer formalities haven't been done yet, I guess it was prudent to say the press that he had yet to buy it, so as to not uncomplicate matters.

Mr Roy used to/still own a white F-Type V8, so i guess he certainly found the RWD-Front Engine setup of the Cali T familiar.
avishar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 19:28   #34
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
Speeding vehicle hit a divider while approaching a bridge
A man was on Sunday killed and his friend seriously injured when the sports car they were travelling in hit a divider and turned turtle at Domjur area of Howrah district.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...rticle24073451.
Unfortunate incident as any other accident in this thread, may the soul of the departed rest in peace.

Let us not judge/assume, how the driver fell short of skills, as we don't know what went wrong.

Cheers.
Old 4th June 2018, 20:39   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
It is appalling that the emergency and rescue services on a national highway were insufficient to save a life due to lack of equipment.
We can expect zero expert support in such situations!

There was a guy having severe stroke of some kind at our airport, and guess what? medical help arrived almost 20mins AFTER they were given an alert, this was at International departure, imagine facilities at domestic.

I can only imagine the pain of his friends, may his soul RIP.
giri1.8 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 20:43   #36
A.K
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by arighna.dutta View Post
Unfortunate incident as any other accident in this thread, may the soul of the departed rest in peace.

Let us not judge/assume, how the driver fell short of skills, as we don't know what went wrong.

Cheers.
Agreed on that.

From what I hear, the truck suddenly changed lanes and to avoid contact, Mr. Roy moved to the right lane and the ended up in the divider. It is rather appaling to see a few comments here on this thread from the so-called learned men judging the incident and saying that he deserved it, not in the same verbatim but the vibe of the post being such. This incident is in the news only because a Ferrari is involved. It was a terrible mishap and the car involved could've been any car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Why was the pipe extending so much ? Looking at pictures, the side guard wall has a corner and it starts where the car hit it. I dont know why they had to leave pipe out like that. Its like everywhere in India, people with no knowledge design or create infrastructure services.
Been wondering the same. Had the pipe not been protruding out like that, Mr. Roy would've probably survived since I remember reading somewhere that the pipe pierced through the airbag and hit him on the chest which eventually led to a difficulty in breathing.

Last edited by A.K : 4th June 2018 at 20:48.
A.K is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 21:03   #37
Senior - BHPian

That is indeed a very bad crash. Crashes like these are almost always caused when the driver is doing far above the legal limits.
I strongly believe that if you drive something exotic like a Ferrari at legal speeds you are much much safer than say a normal family sedan/hatch. You will brake sooner,turn tighter and will be in much better control. But yes, you must be doing legal speeds.
Reinforces the fact that these machines will kill you the minute you start taking them for granted. And this is over the already abyssal road infrastructure, driving sense and traffic that one has to face the minute you out on the open road.

Last edited by bigron : 4th June 2018 at 21:05.
bigron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 21:59   #38
Senior - BHPian

One a separate note, I want to talk about an issue that has been infuriating me for a while.

It is this huge dissemination of disinformation regarding crash safety which has become the rage these days. Earlier, the average person did not know much about crash safety and structural engineering of cars, today, the average person knows all the wrong things about crash safety and norms.

I blame this partly on the many digital media houses who started this entire trend of being the earliest to find a 'first crash' story. While it was not their intention to spread misinformation, but rather just get some clicks, these stories have created something...rotten. If you look at the comments of say a 'First Nexon crash story', it would like it is some sort of an IPL match, with fanboys of different car-makers trashing the other of making 'flimsy cars'. Without any scientific proof, the popular opinion of Facebook is that Maruti makes cars which crumple like paper. Car crashes are something which cannot be analysed by just looking at one picture, and how the structure of the car responded to the forces on it cannot be explained to someone who just seeing mangled metal, and not that fact that passenger cell is intact.

For a few days, these Facebook 'auto channels' will keep posting Maruti crashes, then keep posting Tata crashes where people seem to have survived, then post Volkswagen crashes where the car is intact and not a scratch, or post a story where a Volvo got rear ended but the car behind has got a lot of damage (which is not a bad thing at all). In doing all this, they are shaping public opinion in the wrong way. They are ingraining very false notions of crash safety. Which is why people cannot understand how does a person die in a Range Rover Velar. Look at the comments on that news piece and it is like a fevered-gang of political supporters. They exclaim that 'Look! Look at what Tata has done. They even made Range Rovers unsafe' 'This is what happens when you make in India'. And crap as such.

This is the same thing which happened in this Ferrari crash. The comments are such incredulous. The average person somehow thinks that the more expensive the car, the greater the chances of survival. I have had a car-enthusiast friend of mine ask me how could he have died when the airbags have been deployed. How did the car hit the wall when it has ABS? Ferrari has carbon-brakes na? This means Ferrari is terrible?

Analyzing car crashes, like what we do in the 'Accidents in India' thread is not done anywhere else. On top of that people do not understand the forces involved. The difference between hitting a wall at 60 and at 120 does not mean the twice the forces involved, it is many multiples, since it is velocity square. If a car has an airbag, that does not mean it will save you at 140. "But 5-star rating hain na!" No! That is not how it works!

Unfortunately, this absolutely wrong crash-analysis of facebook will continue unless someone corrects people.
avishar is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 5th June 2018, 00:11   #39
BHPian

Another thing that can result in a car spinning out of control on roads around Kolkata is the kind of surface can change abruptly - this is most apparent at New Town Rajarhat which is notorious for extreme high speed driving and riding but what makes that road deceptively dangerous is the the nature of tarmac is not uniform - at some places , it is smooth and then suddenly transitions into the kind with stones embedded in the tarmac - this can cause the wheel to spin out of control under acceleration ( I speak from experience ).

Why this matter is because such abrupt change in tarmac is also witnessed while transitioning into a flyover .
basuroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2018, 09:55   #40
BANNED

A Ferrari on the roads of Calcutta. John Oliver would say, that's the problem !
D33-PAC is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th June 2018, 10:24   #41
Senior - BHPian

I got the news from another bhpian on Sunday evening.

I think it is best for us to not judge a being who is no more with us. This could have happened to any car and not specifically to a Ferrari.

Hence if we are at all judging and assessing the situation we should keep the car make and economic status of the deceased out of our calculations.

RIP Mr. Shibaji Roy. May your family get all the strength to come out of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
Friend, I travel all over the country and Kolkata has roads better (and emptier) than most of the big cities. Also, this did not happen in the city but on a national highway maintained by the central government.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2018, 10:53   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
The difference between hitting a wall at 60 and at 120 does not mean the twice the forces involved, it is many multiples, since it is velocity square. If a car has an airbag, that does not mean it will save you at 140. "But 5-star rating hain na!" No! That is not how it works!
You make a very interesting point. One that has been repeated multiple times on the Accidents thread.
All the safety equipment (airbags, ABS, etc) on a car cannot be assumed to be an armour or shield against terrible road design, unexpected reactions, poor road surface, vehicles dawdling between lanes, animals or people jaywalking or running across the road, bad weather conditions and most importantly idiocy.

Such safety features end up giving the driver a false sense of security. Or that they are wrapped in a coccoon, which in fact could only be a bubble waiting to burst. This is why we always recommend to drive defensively. Enjoy the drive but do not make it unsafe for yourself or anyone else on the roads just because one assumes that they are:
- in 'total control' of the car
- excellent drivers
- fastest between point A and point Z

Ego about driving will not get us anywhere and it is not as if someone is scouting Indian roads looking for the next Schumacher.
selfdrive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2018, 10:56   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post

Nice to find another fan of the weekly show!

Getting back to the problem at hand, that was a seriously tragic crash. I hope this serves as an example and steps are taken by the people, clubs, and the government to prevent such mishaps in the future.

If I'm not mistaken most highways and roads (including ring-roads and flyovers) in India don't allow for speeds in excess of 100kmh, other than a couple of exceptions where speed is limited to 120kmh. Yet, the weekenders and the long drives often witness speed close to 130-140 kmh. Unless the car is made of vibranium, even if it's the most expensive car wouldn't survive a crash at those speeds.

As a result, I strongly believe these super cars have no place on our roads, they should only be driven on tracks.

One of the less talked about point of this crash was the truck, which according to initial reports was a major cause of this tragic accident. Trucks with faulty brakes, indicators, headlights or sleepy drivers can be often spotted on the roads. No one on the thread was surprised that the trucker didn't use indicators to signal lane shift. This seriously needs to change. Yes, its our responsibility to look out for others mistakes while not making mistakes ourselves, but this shouldn't give a free-pass to miscreants. Having truck caused accident is apparently so common it's made its way into Bollywood using it as a manner to conveniently kill off people. I sincerely hope steps are taken at a ministerial level to curb this "chalta hai" attitude of truckers.
theapollohelios is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2018, 11:03   #44
BHPian

Lets pray for the injured girl. She is very serious, and on ventilator. she has multiple factures, with internal organ damage and bleeding.

very tough situation.

The young girl, is a very bright student and scored 96.7% on her board examinations recently.
Nucliomaniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2018, 11:28   #45
BHPian

I am really sad to see the pictures. I cannot even imagine what the family members of the deceased would be going through at this time.

I am currently imparting driving lessons to my wife and there is one point which I keep telling her – always be defensive while driving and never get aggressive. One thing I have realized is that human brain’s perception of speed is quite different from reality. A 100kmph speed in an Alto feels different from the same speed in a Punto/Civic/City. The most important safety equipment in the car is the driver. Defensive driving will not eliminate the chances of an accident but I believe it can substantially reduce the probability of it.

Last edited by Saanil : 5th June 2018 at 11:44.
Saanil is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks