Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2018, 15:20   #31
PGA
BHPian

Re: Drag Race at Goa Airport: Lamborghini Huracan vs Mikoyan MiG-29KUB

Aircraft with the Forces world over are normally operational assets and being professional services funded by public money these assets are not used for any other purpose but for operations in line with what is mandated for the Forces. Activities outside this realm where there is a possibility of damage to the asset are strict No No.

There are legal ramifications as well. For eg, who pays for it, why public funds, who benefits from it, what if tomorrow I want to test my 'bel gadi' against an aircraft, if I meet all the criteria which was used to grant permission to the Huracan, then as an equal citizen of the country a public organisation needs to accord the same to me as well.

Such events as and when permitted by Govts, it is made sure that there is no threat to the operational asset, thus you see cars racing along side on taxi tracks or having static photo shoots.

World over such activities are also conducted by manufacturers / contractors, and they bear the liability in the event of any mishap. You may see such assets in Forces livery but they are actually on contractor's inventory or have been underwritten by them. All aircraft we see performing in the aero shows are specially modified for the purpose by the manufacturers/ designers, operational aircraft may not be cleared or permitted to do those stunts.

There is no doubt that the video that has emerged is an amateur act, probably by a spectator located at an elevation. The instructions about use of camera in defence installations are very strict and clear, as I see it, by now a lot of questions must be getting raised in so called 'official circles' about this video and this activity.
Old 13th August 2018, 13:02   #32
BHPian

so for Autocar it is ! cant wait for the September anniversary edition.

Tweet from Autocar editor - Hormazd.

"We've managed to pull off the ultimate dogfight: the @indiannavy's Mig 29k fighter faces off against the @Lamborghini Huracan Performante on a runway, in Goa. Read the full story in our anniversary issue, coming soon."

I think till date they have covered an Arjun MBT, a Navy warship and also an IAF Su-30 MKI, also an off-road Ashok Leyland truck of the Army.
Attached Thumbnails
Drag Race at Goa Airport: Lamborghini Huracan vs Mikoyan MiG-29KUB-dko6uvnv4aexbyr.jpg  

Redline6800 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 17:52   #33
BHPian

There are just too many posts here I would like to reply to but in spite of being with Teambhp almost since inception I am not very good at selecting posts to comment on.

I was there. It all happened in front my eyes and the sights from that day will remain within me for a very long time. It is also clear by now that this activity has a very reputed Indian publication involved which is probably the reason why the IN had an association with them for this article (their 3rd shoot involving a Lamborghini and an aircraft). I am sure the IN knew what they were getting into and there were strict safety norms at the time of the shoot.

What we see in the amateur video is nothing compared to what the publications professional team has shot. I am really excited and looking forward to the actual edited video about to release soon.

In the ‘Defense’ of the Huracán Performante, it was the fastest, now is the 2nd fastest Naturally Aspirated production car around the Nurburgring, 3rd fastest overall. In spite of the capabilities of the MIG in the air, I doubt it can get anywhere close to the lap time of this Lambo. Aircraft fans, please don’t kill me for this.

On a serious note, I’d kill for a co-pilot ride in that MIG. What a thing.
doctorque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2018, 13:51   #34
PGA
BHPian

Worth a watch for all aficionados
Old 29th September 2018, 15:00   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Though it appears that the aircraft and the supercar are quite close to each other, it was not actually so. The aircraft was on the main runway and the car was on the parallel taxy track. Of course, all safety norms were observed and none flouted.

Let's wait for the Anniversary edition of Autocar now
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 16:59   #36
BANNED

The video is finally out !!

EDIT: Is it only me or do other also think the video ended Abruptly ? I also expected some details around why the drag race was done and what is the message they are trying to convey ?

Last edited by mohammedismail : 22nd October 2018 at 17:13.
mohammedismail is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 09:38   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Just saw the video and to be honest it left me a bit disappointed. The comparison is of course made with the similar gig attempted by Top Gear UK crew. ACI crew looks a bit lost with a confused designing and presentation. For starters they could have left the initial story about trying to use the taxiway.
The biggest downer was that the driver (Shakur Kotwal) appeared scared himself with that Lamborghini's insane speed and the thrust of the Jet alongside. His facial expression looks tensed. Compare it with Richard Hammond who appeared at ease throughout that video.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 10:28   #38
BHPian

The video does build a lot of hype and then falls short miserably. Not taking away anything from the efforts put in on ground but presentation could have been definitely better. When the car lined up for race, I was expecting Shapur and passenger to be wearing helmet. They actually looked pretty casual about it. All in all, it is only MiG 29 which make the video worth watching. And this video highlights why Top Gear is a lot a more than putting presenters in cars, the presentation makes it a spectacle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks