Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2009, 06:25   #2236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayR View Post
Pardon my arrogance, but i still can't believe that the royals, IE Phantoms, Bentleys and Maybachs havent found their way into Kerala. I expected atleast a couple of them, because my school/college mates were very influential jewelers/entrepreneurs from there (excuse the poor examples). Sorry if i sound rude, it's just that i would find it natural to see a nice phantom wafting along Cochin's shoreline.

Maybe there are a few, but are never seen (just a guess).
People in the South tend to be very conservative with flaunting their money. In fact, Bangalore's the only exception. Hyderabad is just starting to get a bit of that culture. Chennai and Kerala are still very far behind.

Not just with cars, it's the same thing with pubs also. Bangalore's got a great nightlife (still got it though? Not sure..), Hyderabad's developed one over the last couple of years, but again, Chennai and Kerala are not that deep yet, they're still testing the waters.

Just an observation.
Old 4th June 2009, 09:01   #2237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayR View Post
Pardon my arrogance, but i still can't believe that the royals, IE Phantoms, Bentleys and Maybachs havent found their way into Kerala. I expected atleast a couple of them, because my school/college mates were very influential jewelers/entrepreneurs from there (excuse the poor examples). Sorry if i sound rude, it's just that i would find it natural to see a nice phantom wafting along Cochin's shoreline.

Maybe there are a few, but are never seen (just a guess).
So far there are couple of Rolls & a Bentley in the state, but they are all not the new ones. But we are expectin a Phantom & couple of Flying Spur to hit the state. I also heard that a NRI businessman is trying to bring a Flying Spur & a Gallardo on Carnet! But not sure when!
Old 4th June 2009, 09:21   #2238
Senior - BHPian

@ Jay R: People in Kerala are more inclined towards house and jewellry,so they spend loads of money on the same. Even i have seen quite a few imports,but then its all old and most of it are the low end models. I have seen loads of Toyota Corona,Starlet,Mark IV and even a LHD bus in Calicut. But yes,scene is defenitely changin.
@f450: Bangalore had a great nightlife,sometime back

Last edited by Unknownsatan : 4th June 2009 at 09:23.
Old 4th June 2009, 11:42   #2239
D-Man

@F450 Night life is not as great as it used to be long ago. Recession!

Old 4th June 2009, 11:50   #2240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f450 View Post
People in the South tend to be very conservative with flaunting their money. In fact, Bangalore's the only exception. Hyderabad is just starting to get a bit of that culture. Chennai and Kerala are still very far behind.

Not just with cars, it's the same thing with pubs also. Bangalore's got a great nightlife (still got it though? Not sure..), Hyderabad's developed one over the last couple of years, but again, Chennai and Kerala are not that deep yet, they're still testing the waters.

Just an observation.
Very stereotypical. In the end, everything is just hype. Please visit cities , actually observe and then make observations, so people get an accurate picture . Please don't make assumptions. Cheers!.
Old 4th June 2009, 16:23   #2241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
Very stereotypical. In the end, everything is just hype. Please visit cities , actually observe and then make observations, so people get an accurate picture . Please don't make assumptions. Cheers!.
I didn't mean to offend anyone. . I actually have visited Cochin, Trivandrum, Chennai, Coimbatore and Madurai in recent times (not counting Ooty and the backwaters) and I spoke to my relatives etc. there inquiring about the lack of fancy cars (not just imports) and they said that people in other places tend to flaunt money that they don't have while people in these two states don't like flaunting their money even though they have a lot...if that makes sense. They seemed to think that the nouveau-rich (real estate boom) in Hyderabad are very keen to show off, but that culture hasn't creeped in yet in TN and KL.

But yeah, agree with unknownsatan that lots of jewellery in Kerala. I thought I was going to go blind with all the gold on display (went for a marriage)!
Old 5th June 2009, 10:41   #2242
Senior - BHPian

The FJ curiser is not on carnet , according to one of his relative "he had spent a hell lot of money as tax to import it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by prram View Post
Where in Thrissur is this godown located,do you have any contact number for them.
That is in RICE bazar

they offers the conversion of LHD mercs to RHD for 70000 INR , they are also specialized conversions

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th June 2009 at 11:30.
foby.sebastian is offline   Received Infraction
Old 5th June 2009, 13:35   #2243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I didn't mean to offend anyone. . I actually have visited Cochin, Trivandrum, Chennai, Coimbatore and Madurai in recent times (not counting Ooty and the backwaters) and I spoke to my relatives etc. there inquiring about the lack of fancy cars (not just imports) and they said that people in other places tend to flaunt money that they don't have while people in these two states don't like flaunting their money even though they have a lot...if that makes sense. They seemed to think that the nouveau-rich (real estate boom) in Hyderabad are very keen to show off, but that culture hasn't creeped in yet in TN and KL.

But yeah, agree with unknownsatan that lots of jewellery in Kerala. I thought I was going to go blind with all the gold on display (went for a marriage)!
You are right, There are not many people who is ready to spend 1 Cr+ for an exotic m/c. But when it comes to houses they do not have any limit especially people in North Kerala. Many of the houses in North Kerala are actually palaces.

+ Road network is good (Road per 1000 population is almost double in Kerala comparing to all India Average) and vehicle density is also high. But we do not have wide roads to drive these exotics.

Last edited by Latheesh : 5th June 2009 at 13:37.
Old 5th June 2009, 23:50   #2244
Senior - BHPian

Saw a grey Merc A class with KA regn today at kaloor, and another merc, this one a W124 250TD station wagon, in white.
Old 6th June 2009, 18:30   #2245
BHPian

Quote:
Bangalore's got a great nightlife (still got it though? Not sure..),
Yes, I was going to ask 'are you sure?' The answer is 'NO'.

Bangalore shuts down by 11 pm. I used to celebrate new year eves till 2009 in Trivandrum, at Kovalam beach. Use to have a great time whole night in the hotels like Uday Samudra/Taj Green Cove/Leela. This year I was at Brigade Road, Bangalore. Surprisingly only two pubs were open, that too closed by 9.30 PM!

No more dancing, no discotheques. Just have your drink, leave the place by 11. There are instances two days back also Police raiding even restaurants (mallu owned ones, Paramount & Elite) that were open at 12 midnight. Contrary 'Buhari' and the restaurants alike are open through out the night in Trivandrum.

May be private parties where higher ups in the authority like Police and IAS guys are involved are exceptions, I too was present such a bash where dancing was there and it extended beyond 11 pm.

It is 11.24 pm

Supercars & Imports : Kerala-dsc09363.jpg
Old 6th June 2009, 19:03   #2246
Senior - BHPian

Guys i think this thread is seriously going somewhere else. How does bangalore's nightlife affect Kerala's supercars & Imports. Stick to the topic guys. No offence intended,just my opinion.
Old 6th June 2009, 19:18   #2247
BHPian

Sure, I too agree. It is OT, but it was just a reply to a related post. Hope this is the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsatan View Post
Guys i think this thread is seriously going somewhere else. How does bangalore's nightlife affect Kerala's supercars & Imports. Stick to the topic guys. No offence intended,just my opinion.
Old 6th June 2009, 20:00   #2248
BHPian

This is an import right?, an old one..Spotted in Trivandrum. Its a Toyota

Supercars & Imports : Kerala-toyota.jpg
Old 6th June 2009, 20:45   #2249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheeshnairs View Post
is this by chance toyota Hiace?
Old 6th June 2009, 22:31   #2250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheeshnairs View Post

Attachment 144977
Yah thats an import. It's an old gen Toyota Hiace. I've seen one at the Taj in Mumbai as well.

I wonder why someone would want to import that...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks