Team-BHP - SLK55 AMG spotted! (Oops, its not an AMG)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Super-Cars & Imports in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-cars-imports-india/)
-   -   SLK55 AMG spotted! (Oops, its not an AMG) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-cars-imports-india/2040-slk55-amg-spotted-oops-its-not-amg.html)

Well, I wasn't gonna post this at first, but Rehaan insisted I do!

Was crossing the road after an evening browsing the latest electronic gadgets at Heera Paana, Haji Ali, and there she was, stuck in the mother of all traffic jams...

At first all I saw was the silver roof and I thought it was a certain T-BHPian's SL55. BUT then i saw the front, man...the first time I've laid my eyes on the new SLK. Looks wicked in the flesh.

The short overhangs and H-U-G-E wheels, remember this was the SLK 55 AMG, made the car look stunning. The side profile is an almost direct copy of the SL55 with the same multi-spoke wheels, but due to the shorter overhangs, looks much better IMO.

Well, as murphy's law dictates, I had no cam with me...so all I could do was drool over it. To tell you the truth, even if I did have a cam, I probably would have forgotten to take any pics as I was just stuck staring at the car!

Now its upto V12 and Dippy to trace down and capture the SLK55 for another T-BHP exclusive!

Rtech

Wow the new SLK and that too the AMG... must be good to look at and I'm sure must be sounding great as well. I had my experience with the new SLK was at KL where a black new SLK was on display at the Mclaren stall and later on of course I got to hear it on track since the F1 safety car is the new SLK55 AMG. Boy did it sound good going round Sepang circuit.

Well have to investigate bout this one now and hope to catch it in my lens soon.

Dippy

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Well, as murphy's law dictates, I had no cam with me...

No Nooooooooooo.

I had heard long back that there were rumours of a black SLK55 in town. The new one I mean. But now its confirmed. I guess the best place to check out would be the Impreza garage. Something tells me that it HAS to be there.

Hey V12, the one i saw was silver not black! But you're right about the scooby garage...I'd love to have a looksi there too myself...now if only I knew where it was...???

oops. my mistake. Sorry.

Anyways AMG is gettin quite popular in India now. The SL55, CL55, S55 (still doubtful), 190E AMG. Also a few months back when the W211 E had just been launched I saw a light blue E with huge wheels and blue Xenons (well they looked blue) and looked like an E55.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]now if only I knew where it was...???

I know where it is rtech pm or call .. i'll tell u

Dippy

Hey Rtech,

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] The side profile is an almost direct copy of the SL55 with the same multi-spoke wheels

Thats news to me....i guess i was expecting the same 5-twinspoke wheels that were on the safetycar >

But, i guess this is what the new SLK55 looks like >

Also, i was talkin to GrimReaper about this.....and the question raised was...when was the SLK55 launched/made available for purchase??

cya
R

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]when was the SLK55 launched/made available for purchase??

You talking launched in India? dunno if it has been actually. But, I think the entire MB line up is available to customers if I'm not mistaken. Also, with the doing away of the homologation for cars above UD$40,000, its easy for then to import these sort of cars whenever they get an order I presume.

Or maybe the guy bought and imported it himself directly! Who knows...

Rt

According to Autoweek , the new SLK55 AMG goes on sale in North America in September this year. So it could be that the SLK55 rtech seen just had an AMG Kit.

Autoweek article : Second Look: Second-gen Mercedes-Benz SLK55 AMG

According to what I read, the SLK55 has been on sale in Europe since end MArch/Early April. That leaves enough time for someone to import it into India. I doubt the AMG kit is available already as i would think they would first want to sell the 55 exclusively for atleast 6 months before making the kit available to the "regular" SLK owners. Kinda like Porsche does for its Carrera and Carrera S as well as the Turbo look.

Rt

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (rtech @ Aug. 31 2004,13:07)]
Quote:

Originally Posted by [b

You talking launched in India?

Nope, i meant in USA & Europe, since there were doubts about if the slk55amg had been launched yet.

The fact that it was launched in Europe in March/April makes sense now.
Because Grim pointed out that he didnt think it had been launched yet...but i guess that was for America.

I had visited the mbusa site yesterday and it had the price listed as TBA.

cya
R

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Rehaan @ Aug. 31 2004,19:33)]
Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (rtech @ Aug. 31 2004,13:07)]
Quote:

Originally Posted by [b

You talking launched in India?

Nope, i meant in USA & Europe, since there were doubts about if the slk55amg had been launched yet.

The fact that it was launched in Europe in March/April makes sense now.
Because Grim pointed out that he didnt think it had been launched yet...but i guess that was for America.

I had visited the mbusa site yesterday and it had the price listed as TBA.

cya
R

First off! The news is AMAZING!!!! The new SLK55 in town!!! People in India are really growing more and more sensible and are ready to spend the moolah for such amazing beasts.!

Now after saying all this I'm still a bit skeptical. I need to see the car in person befoore I can fully grasp the situation. Anyways, the SLK350 was launched in June/July. I know this since I was there when the first deliveries had started. And figuring this out the AMG's are generally launched about 5-6 months after the initial release of the car. Also to back my point the fact that the deliveries for the SLK200 haven't even started and also I get the latest AutoCar UK's every week and I haven;t seen one review regarding it, so that makes it more less likely.

As for the AMG Kit, the wheels are easily available and until rtech can tell if the front skirts were like the ones on AMG, I can't comment on it.

BTW, did you really see the SLK55 AMG badges on the rear of the car??

OK! Just went ahead and did some research. First off, I was only looking at UK deliveries, since to import to India, it would have to be RHD and all other European countries are LHD (mostly). Then went on some forums to search and saw that the earliest deliveries anyone were getting was December/January. Then I went onto Mercedes-Benz.co.uk and this is what I saw :

From early 2005, the SLK-Class will be led by the SLK 55 AMG. Its 5.5-litre powerhouse will be the only eight cylinder unit in its segment, with a powerful roar channelled through a pair of twin tailpipes.

Sorry to burst the news but from all this, there just can't be a new SLK55 AMG in town.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]BTW, did you really see the SLK55 AMG badges on the rear of the car??

Nope, I didn't get a look at the rear of the car and didn't notice any badges.

I didn't think this would erupt into a controversy!! All this talk is making me doubt my sighting!

Lets get these points clear.
- The car was less than 10 feet away from me, so i got a good look
- There is no doubt that it is an SLK
- The wheels were the same multi spoke ones as seen in the pics above of the SLK55
- I did not see the badge at the rear, and I cant recall whether the front bumber had that scoop on the side or not.

So that leaves us with the following options:
1. It was a non AMG SLK with the wheels and (maybe) the kit.
2. It was indeed the SLK55, but this seems unlikely as it appears that this has yet to be launched! Although I read on other sites that it was supposed to be out by April.

Well, I'll leave you all to ponder what it was!

note to self...ALWAYS carry my cam around..or buy a cell with a cam!

Rt

hey rtech, were the wheels like these? If yes, these are not AMG wheels.