Team-BHP - X Type Jaguar finally in Mumbai
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Super-Cars & Imports in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-cars-imports-india/)
-   -   X Type Jaguar finally in Mumbai (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-cars-imports-india/2063-x-type-jaguar-finally-mumbai.html)

Hey fellas,

Our dear Mr Choksi has done it again. This time hes got the Jaguar X Type at his dealership. My bro saw it while coming home from college... silver in colour. Anyways will go and check it out personally

Cheers

Go ahead, check it out - but if you've followed Jags over the years, you'll be disappointed. Especially if you drive it.
The baby jag bears no semblance to it's revered ancestors. Not in style, not in performance and definitely not in character.

It is actually a Mondeo underneath !

You're right. Mondeo, or the Contour. A big failure from the Ford stable.

The X-Type is nothing but a Mondeo with new skinning...and thats not too bad a thing. But Jaguar has stepped into the new (lower) segment of the market in order to get the volumes in the door.

Its true that its an absolute failure to the Jaguar brand. Jaguar has not been doing too many smart things lately....do you know that their brand equity actually went down after their entry into Formula 1 - A Direct result of their disastrous performances!

GTO

Jaguar realise this and future models will be engineered seperately using some Ford componennts but not an obvious platform

The last I heard, the new Land Rover Discovery has more in common to the Explorer than the previous model year.
If that's the direction they're going, we may not be able to identify a Jag from Ford, minus the leaper !
The S-Type has a lot in commom with the Lincoln.

The New York auto show promises new concepts for the XK and XJ - hope they don't fail us.

-V

The new Discovery will be the basis for the next explorer platform. As it is being engineered by Land Rover, it should not be too bad. Ford realised their mistake with the Jags, if you look at the new Volvo's and Mazda's, they have managed to create their own identities using Ford platform systems

Land Rover has been completely integrated with the Ford family now. Rumour has it that the 2005 discovery may sport a Ford Explorer engine (4.0L) or the famous Jaguar 4.2L that powers the R performance sedans. The chassis may be a totally new one and may also be used for the 2006 Range Rover Sp. Maybe even the Explorer. We're finally going to end up looking at the Discovery the same way we look at a Mercury Mountaineer. No distinct identities there. Too bad, eh ?

What an irony, Powerslave. I remember seeing some Mercury's (Probably the mountaineer) in Boston and it was EXACTLY the Ford explorer. Same body shell, lights, stance....the only difference was the front grille. I think that it had a couple more luxurious add-ons than the explorer.

Leave aside platform sharing...this is "everything-sharing"

GTO

It had to be the Mountaineer. I wonder why they do it.

"everything-sharing" indeed !! We should ask Bill some day ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Dippy @ Feb. 21 2004,00:43)]Our dear Mr Choksi( Chor)

Hey Dippy,
* * * * *Why u callin Mr. Choksi a Chor? I dont get it. Did he sell something Stupid to u or somethin?

well i guess he said that cos the regn numbers on some cars are a bit wierd. i myself have seen 2 cars havin the same regn numbers.

Hey RG

No offence meant dude. Its just that we have come across quite a few things wierd at his place. We really didnt mean 'chor' in the literal sense. We found these two cars with the same reg numbers plus once it was in the papers that three toyota coronas were seized from him have the same reg nos.

So chill buddy nothing personal

Cheers

Actually Ajamat was right about the fact that Ford and Jag will not share those many parts as they did earlier. Instead they will only source small parts like bearings, nuts and bolts. This was all said in a recent article in BusinessWeek. Also, the new Disco will share the supercharged 4.2 Jag engine. That should provide the Cayenne S with some kind of competition.

BTW, the Mondeo aint a bad platform, remember the times when most of us raved over the car and its capabilities. The problem with the Mondeo is, it is a car commonly used by salesmen and other on-the-field jobbers in UK, while the Jag is used by young achieving execs. And that doesnt bode well with consumers, since Auto Mags always brought out the relation b/w the Mondeo and X-type underpinnings. Sure, BMW also has the compact which is a 3-series based car, but then again its still a BM, something that consumers accept rather easily.

The X-type will be phased out by Jag, come 2010.

Till then keep revvin
Revvmaster