Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2019, 00:37   #46
BHPian

Re: Are modern supercars ugly?

*me reading the opening post and finding out team-bhp.com believes the Chiron & LaFerrari look ugly* -

This was ugly. It looked horrible when it was new and also didn't age that gracefully either. The Bugatti Veyron.
Are modern supercars ugly?-2013bugattiveyron164ss300front.jpg

But this, looks are subjective yes but no way, absolutely no way is this straightaway "ugly". This is one of the most beautiful supercars out there today. The Bugatti Chiron.
Are modern supercars ugly?-bugattichironsport.jpg

I humbly believe this to be one of the meanest looking supercars.
The (I'm not to be messed with) cold stare. The LaFerrari.
Are modern supercars ugly?-ferrarilaferraric416614082017185014_1.jpg

Talking about the ugly ones, I just fail to understand the hype around the following cars.

Cartoonish is the word. The Pagani Huayra.
Are modern supercars ugly?-paganihuayraroadster_01.jpg

Please tell me this doesn't look like a random Hot Wheels model. The Koenigsegg Agera R.
Are modern supercars ugly?-maxresdefault.jpg

Cohesiveness - What's that? asks the Lykan Hypersport.
Are modern supercars ugly?-a1c3c0f3c5cb70188e0226142f082127.jpg
Old 29th July 2019, 07:58   #47
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbaz906 View Post
*me reading the opening post and finding out team-bhp.com believes the Chiron & LaFerrari look ugly* -

This was ugly. It looked horrible when it was new and also didn't age that gracefully either. The Bugatti Veyron.
Looks are subjective. According to me, the Veyron looks excellent - totally unpretentious, no 'styling' of any sort to make it appeal by its looks. Getting 1000bhp,400+kph car, to look as close to an ordinary car as possible, tells me that the designer was a mature person, and restraintful. Very unlike, and the polar opposite of, for example, the design dept at mahindra&mahindra, who take a samurai sword to their clay model, and expect to add 100 bhp to their ordinary cars from looks alone.

Compared to the veyron, the chiron looks like someone took it to a make-up studio.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th July 2019 at 08:26. Reason: Spacing
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 09:58   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Getting 1000bhp,400+kph car, to look as close to an ordinary car as possible...
I would like to humbly disagree. Isn't a supercar supposed to look the part for what it is meant to do? The Chiron, the Laferrari & even the Mclaren P1 all do that with great elan. The P1 straightaway looks scary to me. 903bhp - all to the rear wheels, phew!
And also the Veyron was in no means an ordinary looking car.
Delivery day would be like 'Sir here's your $1.5 million dollar supercar and don't you worry we've made sure it looks as ordinary as possible'. It definitely did make heads turn and you couldn't find anything else even close to what it looked like during it's time. But it wasn't good enough to take a spot on the bedroom wall - The defining moment for a supercar's looks.
Quote:
the chiron looks like someone took it to a make-up studio.
Oh come on, I rather believe it had been going to the gym It may look weird or quirky to some but ugly? No sir.
arbaz906 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 18:56   #49
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
I would like to humbly disagree. Isn't a supercar supposed to look the part for what it is meant to do? The Chiron, the Laferrari & even the Mclaren P1 all do that with great elan. The P1 straightaway looks scary to me. 903bhp - all to the rear wheels, phew!
And also the Veyron was in no means an ordinary looking car.
Delivery day would be like 'Sir here's your $1.5 million dollar supercar and don't you worry we've made sure it looks as ordinary as possible'. It definitely did make heads turn and you couldn't find anything else even close to what it looked like during it's time. But it wasn't good enough to take a spot on the bedroom wall - The defining moment for a supercar's looks.

Oh come on, I rather believe it had been going to the gym It may look weird or quirky to some but ugly? No sir.
the veyron is a very 'functional' design - look at the ordinary wingmirrors and headlights, for example - must have been a conscious decision to come out with that, during a time when lamborghinis, paganis and koeniggseggs were laying claim to poster space on walls. Later, they came out with roadsters and different 'colour themes' that helped garner repeat customers from the middle-east. With the chiron, they really snazzied it up right out of the box, straightaway appealing to almost everyone. Its business.

different people, different tastes..

I would rather prefer my henchman to be an ex-special forces commando in civilian clothes, rather than an ex-pricefighter with scary tattoos. Both equally capable to kill a person with one blow; yet completely different.
Old 30th July 2019, 02:30   #50
Senior - BHPian

Today's cars in general, not just supercars are ugly. The simple reason is aerodynamics. When you can have a modern hot hatch which performs like a supercar from the 1980's and possibly even 1990's, you need to build the body in a wind tunnel. It is brilliantly functional, but unfortunately, this is rarely beautiful. Also, the legal requirements for cars (pedestrian safety, passenger cells that need to deflect energy in a crash etc., have forced looks that aren't conventionally pretty. For me, cars from the 90's are by far the prettiest
Old 30th July 2019, 03:51   #51
BHPian

Quote:

Cartoonish is the word. The Pagani Huayra.
Attachment 1899832
The Zonda and Huayra are artworks, and if you find them cartoonish you don't understand design.
The lines, the engine, the interiors are all an art.
devilwearsprada is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 10:08   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Later, they came out with roadsters and different 'colour themes' that helped garner repeat customers from the middle-east. With the chiron, they really snazzied it up right out of the box, straightaway appealing to almost everyone. Its business.
Well this can be a whole different argument and I agree that it has been designed to sell. A classic example of this was the Huracan. Being a Lamborghini fan I never really liked the Huracan. It didn't look outrageous enough to be classified as a Lambo and it was basically an R8 under the skin, but it did one thing well - kept the sales charts on the boil. It was a mere toy for rap videos and instagram photos that every tom, dick & harry was buying it for just showing off. Even worse there were a few internet personalities who bought it with Bitcoin. But for this reason, would I call the Huracan "Ew it's so ugly" No, it was quite a plane jane Ok design, which didn't really bother me. And similar is my case with the Chiron.

If this thread's title would've been "Are all modern supercars losing their essence" or "Do all modern supercars lack charm/soul" I would've agreed in a heartbeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
The Zonda and Huayra are artworks, and if you find them cartoonish you don't understand design.
Well I can make this exact statement to anyone who thinks a LaFerrari is ugly
These 'looks department' arguments never end do they. It's exactly like music, it all comes down to personal tastes and preferences which everybody else may not wholly agree upon.
Old 30th July 2019, 10:42   #53
BHPian

This may be a bit of a controversial opinion, but from a GT car standpoint, I adore the looks of the Lexus LC500. The interior does look a bit overdone in my opinion, but I like how sharp the car looks on the outside.

Plus with many people quoting LaFerrari and the McLaren Senna, these cars need to be regarded as hypercars rather than Supercars so I think different standards may have to be applied.
nikhilthegunner is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks