Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2007, 01:54   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayblaze View Post
It wasnt a hit. But now that all these cars are in demand by the tuners people ask for RIDICULOUS money for the older flip-open headlamp body style mr2's. (below) They look pretty hot though don't they
The older MR2's had their own set of fans. The version you posted had Ferrari as its inspiration and some people sold Ferrari body kits for it as well.

Quote:
The newer MR2's with those big eyed headlamps have engine trouble and hence they flopped big time. (below) they look stupid. I almost bought one before my GTi.
I haven't heard of engine troubles in that car. It is basically the same engine used in Toyota Celica and lotus elise (or exige?). The car's front doesn't appeal to me much but from the rear and side angles, its a looker.

The last gen MR2 was the most powerfull of all the MR2's ever produced. Even though it produced only 140 bhp, it weighed under 1 ton.

I looked hard to find one in black, but with so few of them being sold in US (25,000 in 5 years of production - limited sale), couldn't find a decent one.
Old 10th August 2007, 02:04   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
I looked hard to find one in black, but with so few of them being sold in US (25,000 in 5 years of production - limited sale), couldn't find a decent one.
After graduation and landing a job i found one closeby my place. black with tan canvas top and baseball leather seats. but somehow things didnt work out on the money front.
i read about engine trouble on autoblog on these cars being pretty serious and hence my note.
Old 10th August 2007, 02:05   #78
Senior - BHPian

I've seen them either in red or in silver. probably 1-2 in yellow,but thats about it.
I heard that it had a very sluggish engine,and the acceleration wasn't peppy at all. This is with reference to the newer MR2s.
Old 10th August 2007, 02:10   #79
BHPian

Quote:
After graduation and landing a job i found one closeby my place. black with tan canvas top and baseball leather seats. but somehow things didnt work out on the money front.
i read about engine trouble on autoblog on these cars being pretty serious and hence my note.

Wow, I found exact same combination for 11K after searching for two months, but the chick who was selling the car was sick and had to leave town. The one problem I heard with this car being the mid-engine layout which makes it difficult to access for repairs.
Old 10th August 2007, 02:12   #80
BHPian

Quote:
The one problem I heard with this car being the mid-engine layout which makes it difficult to access for repairs.
Could be. The engine bay is pretty small. Sigh. Another affordable RWD has gone. And so we're all just left with Mazda's Miata , Pontiac Solstice (not a good idea).
Old 10th August 2007, 02:18   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, I found exact same combination for 11K after searching for two months, but the chick who was selling the car was sick and had to leave town. The one problem I heard with this car being the mid-engine layout which makes it difficult to access for repairs.
i had been looking too for the older generation mr2's but could not get my hands on a turbo. finally when i did find one it had moss in it. apparently some part got spoiled and the owner junked the car and never saw it again. i found many mr2's but none turbo's. am still on the look out for one.
it is a tight squeeze to repair in the engine bay but i guess its worth the trouble.
Old 10th August 2007, 18:42   #82
BHPian

Hey Highwayblaze. What are the odds. I had a 2002 GTi VR6 in college. I might have even mentioned it to you cause I remember posting this to someone who had a VR6 in the US on TBHP. Anyway around the time I was looking at the GTI, the same dealer had a black MR-S Spyder. I thought it would be fun and it was cheap. But with all the friends I had it was about as practical as a bike. So went in for the GTI instead. But thats funny we should both consider the same cars and choose the same one in the end !
Old 10th August 2007, 19:02   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEM3R View Post
Hey Highwayblaze. What are the odds. I had a 2002 GTi VR6 in college. I might have even mentioned it to you cause I remember posting this to someone who had a VR6 in the US on TBHP. Anyway around the time I was looking at the GTI, the same dealer had a black MR-S Spyder. I thought it would be fun and it was cheap. But with all the friends I had it was about as practical as a bike. So went in for the GTI instead. But thats funny we should both consider the same cars and choose the same one in the end !
Wow that is really cool I have a big grin an my face as i read what you've type and further.
Infact my friends were also an issue when i bought the gti. i'd have no place to put all those buddies in an mr2. Well I guess we're all connected in someway or the other. You buy that?
Your VR6 must've been a 6-speed right?
Old 10th August 2007, 21:19   #84
BHPian

When it comes to chicks and cars, friends be damned. Buy a two seater and if you can't find that buy a two door and make it difficult for friends to get in and get out. No matter how powerful your car is, it won't pull the same if you have 150 kilos of dead weight in the rear X(
Old 10th August 2007, 21:54   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When it comes to chicks and cars, friends be damned. Buy a two seater and if you can't find that buy a two door and make it difficult for friends to get in and get out. No matter how powerful your car is, it won't pull the same if you have 150 kilos of dead weight in the rear X(
take the chick out in the two seater, the friends would understand. a two door is even better the friends feel lazy getting in and out the door so u get privacy. done it many times .
Old 10th August 2007, 22:04   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
take the chick out in the two seater, the friends would understand. a two door is even better the friends feel lazy getting in and out the door so u get privacy. done it many times .
1 of the main benefits of having a coupe/convertible. Makes it tough for people to squeeze in..
Old 10th August 2007, 22:25   #87
Senior - BHPian

not a convertible, put the top down and everyone justs jumps in. coupe is where everyone has trouble squeezeing in
Old 10th August 2007, 22:36   #88
Senior - BHPian

yeah..they'll all get squished!

Saw a very well maintained MR2 on the way back from work. Wanted to take a pic,but there was this huge F-150 in front of me. Had a good set of wheels too.
Old 10th August 2007, 22:42   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
yeah..they'll all get squished!

Saw a very well maintained MR2 on the way back from work. Wanted to take a pic,but there was this huge F-150 in front of me. Had a good set of wheels too.
man you missed it and we too. yeah my friends have banned me useing a coupe. when i have the coupe out they know i dont want them in the car.
Old 22nd December 2007, 00:01   #90
Senior - BHPian

I saw a blue Supra parked in a building in Worli the other day, semi covered-up. Took a couple of pics that I will upload later (can't find my phone's data cable).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks