Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Super sedan / SUV over a 2-door sports car?
Yes 285 68.18%
No 133 31.82%
Voters: 418. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2019, 21:41   #46
BHPian

Re: Would you buy a performance sedan / SUV over a 2-door sports car?

Voted Yes.

If it's only one that I can buy, I would rather have a super saloon than a 2-door high performance coupé.
Reason is simple: Everyday drives with the super saloon will put a grin on my face. Unlike the 2-door, which I'll not be able to drive daily.
For that "make my hair on the back of the neck stand up" feeling, I can very well book a trackday if I can afford one of these cars in the first place, and take that 911/458 for a lap.
Old 17th October 2019, 22:19   #47
BHPian

Voted yes for performance sedan over 2 door sports car.

Two doors are just for fun, i would rather rent it than buy.
Old 17th October 2019, 23:09   #48
BHPian

Voted 'NO'
As Jaggi Vasudev says, cars will one day be, only for pleasure. Alternate mobility would become the norm. Bangalore ring roads are already getting bus lanes marked off. Forget big sedans, MPVs. You could any day hire a TT for family outings. If you wish to drive, an open top, is the deal.
Old 17th October 2019, 23:31   #49
BHPian

Voted No. I have my garage sorted out (wish list at this point). Its going to be an Acura RDX/Lexus RX350/Mercedes GLC 300 and a BMW M240i.

That way I have the sensible and comfortable family car and the nice fun car for me to drive to work everyday. The 2 series is small enough to be amazing fun and big enough to accommodate the kid in the back seat for shortish drives.
Old 18th October 2019, 02:23   #50
BHPian

I vote yes. There are lots of arguments about a 2-door sports car and in a dream world, I would never even hesitate.

However, all things considered, and I have considered this a lot - I would choose a sleeper SUV.

In fact, I’ve thought of this so much I even know where my imaginary crores will go.

A one-off Brabus GLS850. Nearly 1400 Nm of torque, over 800 BHP. I would get it with 19 inch wheels instead of the 22’’ set up in blue and the one off bit will be the rear is Maybach seat equipped. Tan and red two tone interior.

This is because I’m a social guy. I like taking drives with friends, so imagine humiliating a stock 2 door sports car with 3 of your best buddies on board as you waft in luxury.

Side Note: Shame they don’t make a V12 Brabus GLS.
Taronish_E is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 13:28   #51
BHPian

voted no, because no performance saloon or suv can match the driving dynamics of a sports car, period! anyone who can buy a sports car in india, already has several cars for more practical daily use. and if you think you can take your AMG/M suv or saloon on cross country drives, forget it. you wont be able to refuel them with proper high octane fuel outside of the big cities. btw, one of the worst performance SUVs I have ever driven is the previous G63 AMG. the GLA45 AMG at less than half its price is far superior, and much faster...

Last edited by awini : 18th October 2019 at 13:31.
awini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 14:06   #52
Senior - BHPian

First, it depends on whether it is going to be my only car. If yes, then there is no way I can choose a 2-door sports car due to reasons of practicality. What if I have a mainstream family car already in the garage? I will still probably choose the performance sedan because it will let me have a bit of fun on family holidays too. What if I have a performance sedan already in the garage? Well then, if I feel the itch to own a 2-door car, I might go with something like E53 AMG Coupe, 2 doors, 4 seats. Ha!! After all this, if I still have money left over I will get a 911.
Old 18th October 2019, 14:08   #53
BHPian

Voted No.
With due respect to quite a few members who have posted on this thread, the vote never talks about practicality. It basically asks you a over b,, yes or no ?
So we all know how bad our roads are and how much attention a 2 door coupe would grab et al but we also are pretty sure that a 2 door coupe will not be the only car in a household, anywhere not only in India. So sleepers and all are very good but the seating and the thrill of a sports cars would generally be unmatched.
Baddychat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 14:28   #54
Senior - BHPian

From a practicality and affordability perspective, I would vote "Yes".

Moreover, I like the idea of owning that 'sleeper' sedan, than a car which makes that 'I'm built for performance' statement.

A well-tuned performance sedan can be an unassuming car during most of its usage, but it can wake up on demand to put those closer objects on the rear view mirror away whenever needed

If I can afford an expensive 2-door sports Coupe, then I would definitely have both - the performance sedan as well as the Coupe.
Old 19th October 2019, 09:10   #55
BHPian

I would pick a 4 door performance Sedan over a two door sports coupe any day. My reasoning is, I cannot sit low to the floor for long distance drives. I will take a BMW M3 sedan if given a chance over any two door coupe. But if I can afford multiple cars, then I will pick both M3 and Porsche 911 coupe with manual transmission.

But for now I set my eyes on Subaru WRX with manual transmission as I cannot afford M3 and 911.

Last edited by hema4saran : 19th October 2019 at 09:11.
Old 26th October 2019, 13:23   #56
BHPian

I love to maintain my own cars and wouldn't hire someone to do the job on a daily basis. Now, why I actually told this is, if I go for the super car, I will keep it clean and squeeze the sweat out of me to keep it shining but I would not be able to drive it anywhere. It has to remain in the parking and accumulate dust right in front of my eyes.

Where as if I opt for the Performance Sedan, M5 which also happens to be my dream car, I can drive it here and there too, without the worry of scraping the front bumper and other parts, right at the end of my street.

This is a totally different Point Of View but I'd choose to buy a car which I can drive around. Nothing is more joyous than driving a car on which we spend a lot of time and energy detailing it.

On the normal road, I don't think a performance sedan is any lesser than a sports car. On the track, it might be different story, but how many times would we visit the track in our entire lifetime ?
Old 2nd November 2019, 11:56   #57
BHPian

Yes. Back in 2010, I had the choice of choosing a used bmw 335i or a used porsche cayman at similar price point, albeit cayman being slightly older year car. I chose 335i because it offered practicality and enough performance for me. I am not much a track guy, and I think I never really pushed 335i to its limits so I doubt I will ever need a Cayman. But I definitely enjoyed my time in 335i with its sport suspension, steering rack etc. compared to a regular 328i that most Americans bought.
Old 4th November 2019, 13:55   #58
BHPian

I would prefer the performance sedan over the sports coupe. As my username suggests, I'm a big fan of sleepers. The kid in me wants to buy an AMG/M/RS in boring silver, debadge it, Wrap it with a brown rust theme around the fenders and boot. I find this charming.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks