Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2020, 17:41   #1
BHPian

My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!

Very classic and unmistakably Porsche

My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!-front.jpeg
My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!-rear.jpeg

Last edited by Naman_Ferrari : 25th March 2020 at 13:15.
Naman_Ferrari is offline   (57) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 18:20   #2
BHPian

Re: Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!

What I like:

The sound
Exhaust note on start-up is straight out of my dreams
Exhaust sound past 3,000 rpm goes vrooooommm
Induction noise is the cabin is sublime
The looks
Looks very classic Porsche
The bends and curves making her age really well
Front looks like the Carrera GT (one of my all time favourite cars)
The shape of the 911 doors with the frameless windows
Red brake callipers & dual exhausts (standard on S versions)
Xenon headlights with DRL's and LED tail lights look sickkk
The driving experience
Does NOT scrape speed breakers
Mid engined with near perfect 50:50 weight distribution
Butter-smooth 6 speed manual
Hydraulic steering wheel gives a telepathic experience
3.4L Straight 6 Boxer Engine makes 310 BHP & 360 NM of torque
0-100 in 5.3 seconds
Super smooth naturally aspirated engine loves to rev
Doesn't understand the concept of body roll
The interior
Not flashy but a proper proper sportscar interior
Thick steering with the Porsche logo in the middle
Mechanical handbrake
Yellow ANALOGUE dials to match the car's colour
Sporty seats with integrated headrests
2 seat configuration feels amazing
Everything feels very analogue

What I don't:

The fear of something going wrong and costing stupid $$ in repairs
Very expensive to maintain and insure
No AUX/Bluetooth in such an expensive car
I don't like the attention it attracts, scary to drive alone late at night
Super stiff ride at low speeds (not built for Indian roads)
Gulps expensive 99 Octane petrol and returns just 5 kmpl
Gearbox is pretty stiff when cold
Steering is hard at low speeds and while parking
AC vents and passenger seat adjustment knob were broken
Front towing hook cover is broken
Paint on the door edges has come off :(

Last edited by Naman_Ferrari : 17th March 2020 at 18:27.
Naman_Ferrari is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 19:21   #3
BHPian

The Purchase Decision:

I have probably been dreaming about this since before I could say the word 'car'. Every single day, showing pictures and videos of Ferraris and Lamborghinis and Porsches to everyone around me. Never thought that I would actually get one at 25.

The itch started as soon as I started earning around 4 years ago. At that time I wanted to get a cheap sporty looking car (like a Sera) for 5-8 lacks by taking a loan from my father. I even started this thread (Want to buy a cheap 2-door Sports Car) to ask for advice. Thanks to the Team-Bhp family, I was convinced to wait to buy a better car later.

This is when I started my Dream Car Fund. Because I live with my parents, ALL of my income was basically savings, so I started investing in different places. Over the last couple of years, I was able to accumulate just enough to buy the pre-owned Porsche. If you're interested, I posted about my Dream Car Fund in this thread (Dream Car Fund - Do you have one?). Initially the idea was to save for a Ferrari (my favourite car brand) but recently I thought it was a better idea to buy a cheaper sports car now and enjoy having one for the rest of my life, even if that means no Ferrari later. More on my rationale on purchasing the Boxster can be found on page 4 of the thread.

The Options Considered

Buying a sportscar in India is difficult, expensive, time consuming and stressful but very very rewarding if it works out. Here are the cars that I was able to find roughly within my budget -

1. Porsche Boxster/Cayman
When I started looking, the first car I saw online was actually this very Porsche Boxster that I ended up buying (6 months later). At that time it was just an idea in my head. Very few others that I found fit within my budget, and the ones that did were the 987.1 models that is known to have engine issues (IMS bearing), so I wanted to stay clear. The idea of owning a Porsche sportscar always kept getting me back to this option.
2. BMW Z4
This seemed perfect - quite a few options in my budget, 300 HP 6 cylinder, hardtop convertible. A BMW, so not that expensive to run and still looks amazing. For the longest time I thought that if I will ever make this happen, it'll be a Z4. I bought the Porsche but I would have been quite happy with the Z4 also.
2. Audi TT
Looks really nice but had a 4 cylinder which kept me away from seriously considering this.
3. Audi RS5
Another serious contender. Amazing engine + practicality, within budget, 4 seats to take the family around and looked the part too. Only issue was the shape - it wouldn't feel like a true sportscar (I know it's more powerful than the others and drives really well but you know what I mean)
4. Jaguar XK-R
Test drove one that was suspiciously cheap. Seemed accidental because of a torn airbag. Besides, the interior felt like any other luxury car. It was long and low and way too powerful for me (the 500 HP engine felt difficult to control)

(I don't like the SLC and the Cooper S is not really a sportscar, so not considered)

Why this particular car?

There are a couple of reasons why I chose this exact car inspite of things not being perfect with the purchase experience (as described in the next section) -
I was sure I wanted the 987.2 model. This is basically the facelifted version of the 2nd generation Boxster. The 1st generation was not sold in India and the pre-facelift (987.1) had lot's of engine reliability risks (IMS bearing and a few others) that had been fixed for the 987.2. It's also the last model to get hydraulic steering. The 981 (3rd generation) is an amazing car with a nicer interior but has electric steering which takes away from that analogue experience. Also, it costs double the price in the used car market which is completely outside my budget. The 718 (4th generation) is a 4 cylinder and turbo-charged and doesn't sound anywhere close as good as the car I bought so not considered. All in all, this particular 987.2 with the added bonus of a manual gearbox (rare in India) and only 16k kms on the odometer made all the other small issues seem small.

Why not the Cayman?

I think the Cayman looks better than the Boxster. The swooping roof and notchback type boot looks very sporty. It's also more practical with a bigger rear trunk (the place where the convertible roof in the Boxster goes is usable space in the Cayman). Plus, it's arguably better to drive since it has a fixed roof and has 5 more horsepower. But I don't think I would ever feel the difference in performance even if I drove on the track. The difference is so minor that anyone who isn't a race driver probably wouldn't feel it. But the 2 main reasons I went for the Boxster vs. the Cayman are -
1. Couldn't find a good 987.2 Cayman in my budget (these cars are super rare in India obviously)
2. Wanted a convertible for those drives after it rains in Bangalore (can't wait for monsoon to start)

The Buying Experience:

As I mentioned before, the Porsche I bought was the first one I saw when I started looking so I had been in touch with the seller for quite some time. Towards the end, when it got really serious, I took my uncle's help (who used to deal in imported cars as a hobby when I was a child) to check the car and close the deal. When he first saw the car, he was not very impressed. We have never bought a used car before and this one was 10 years old (it's a 2010 model). There were some minor scratches on the paintwork (especially the door edges), AC vents broken, towing hook broken and a few other small things. Plus, the dealer who was selling the car refused to reduce the price at all (he quoted 32 which is what we ended up paying for it). So, we went and saw the XKR I mentioned earlier but even that was accidental. The next few days, we had long discussions and didn't know what to do. My heart was set on the Porsche but the maintenance was creating a lot of doubts. Plus, the seller would not budge. He suggested a few other cars (like the SLK) if we had a smaller budget but would not reduce the price of the Porsche.
Then, we started looking for newer cars like the new TT since they would arguably be easier to maintain. They were much more expensive, yet nowhere as good as the Porsche. We realised that if we wanted to get a car, it had to be the Porsche or nothing at all. No point spending so much and not getting 100% of the satisfaction. Went back and took a TD of the Porsche. The car felt solid. Apart from the small things I mentioned, the car was fundamentally in great condition. Only 16,000 kms on the odometer and drove really well. The only weak point was the brakes but the dealer agreed to replace them before delivery so that was sorted. Gave him and advance and boom, the car was booked.
The next day, the dealer called and told us that he lost the spare key. We immediately asked him to cancel the booking. He called back and said that he spoke to Porsche and will get us an original replacement key, to which we agreed. The seller was stubborn but seemed like a genuine person so we trusted him. What gave us confidence was the fact that he was NOT in a hurry to sell the car. He waited 6 months and never pushed us. To us, this meant that there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the car (he is not trying to get rid of it). After waiting a couple of weeks for the key, I finally got delivery of the car

My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!-screenshot-20200318-9.35.23-pm.png

Last edited by Eddy : 27th March 2020 at 12:09. Reason: Minor typo
Naman_Ferrari is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 14:15   #4
BHPian

Number of kms at the time of writing this review & usage pattern:

The car is currently at around 16,500 kms. I have driven it for around 500 kms since I got it.

As you can imagine, I'm able to use the car really less. It's mainly used to go for drives over the weekend. It's got decent ground clearance but I would rather not take it anywhere that does not have safe and decent parking, which eliminates a lot of places. Plus, it's intimidating to drive in traffic (need to be extra extra careful). Strict 2 seater so can't really take family or friends around. But I love that I can use it mainly for drives on Sunday mornings. Cleaning it myself after the drive is also a big part of the ownership experience (I always clean her myself).

Also got a custom micro-fibre indoor car cover which protects the car over the course of the week while it sits in the basement. Porsche was asking for 55k for the cover but I managed to find the manufacturer who supplies to them in Delhi and got the same cover for around 7k

Looks like she's wearing a Porsche suit
My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!-20200127_234933.jpg

Exterior Styling & Design

I absolutely love the way the car looks. The front was actually inspired from the Carrera GT and it shows. Even a non-car guy can identify this to be a Porsche from a mile away. The curves of the car look really unique, it's unlike anything else. When you look at the side view mirrors (which are large and have great visibility), you can see the bulge of the car exactly like you would in a race car. The headlights are xenons with DRL's, which looks really cool. And the tail lamps are LED's and look beautiful. The silver alloys with the red brake callipers look really sporty. It's also got a retractable spoiler that comes up at speeds above 110 kmph (I think) for better downforce and retracts back once the car goes below 70. Can also lift it up using a button on the dashboard, which is a neat party trick for car shows. It's a speed yellow colour, which I wasn't so sure about. Was afraid it would look a little 'girly'. Luckily that's not the case at all

As you might have probably noticed, I'm not too good at describing how the car looks so will let the pictures do the talking.

Notice how the wheel arches bulge at the rear
My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!-img20200126wa0008.png

Clearly inspired from the Carrera GT
My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!-screenshot-20200318-3.51.30-pm.png

911 doors feel great to open and close
My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!-screenshot-20200318-3.51.12-pm.png

After her first wash in the basement
My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!-20200118_133312.jpg

Notice how low it is compared to the other car I drive - the Ecosport
My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!-20200314_155351.jpg

Fuel tank on the front driver's side always confuses the person at the petrol pump
My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!-screenshot-20200318-3.49.54-pm.png

Black fabric roof is extremely high quality but prone to dust
My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!-20200314_155818.jpg

Notice the front DRL's, headlight washer and antenna
My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!-screenshot-20200325-1.07.35-pm.png

The colour looks very different when not in sunlight
My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!-screenshot-20200318-3.47.36-pm.png

18" wheels with red brake callipers (standard on S models)
My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!-20200314_155711.jpg

Last edited by Naman_Ferrari : 25th March 2020 at 13:08.
Naman_Ferrari is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 22:08   #5
BHPian

Interior, Ergonomics & Features

In pictures, it used to seem to me that the interior of this car is the weakest part of the package. I thought it looked dated and old. But it looked sporty, which is why it didn't bother me at all. But when I first sat in the car, my perspective changed completely. The interior is amazing. I've been in many nice luxury cars that obviously have more bling and luxury but the interior of the Porsche is all about simplicity, quality and above all 'sportiness'. The quality of the leather is really rich and the seats are extremely comfortable. It all looks and feels very exotic and I love it. It even has that new car smell. It's 10 years old but I'm not joking, it really does. Maybe because it has only 16k on the odo. Also love how the doors look and feel - this was the last generation of the Boxster/Cayman that borrowed many parts (including doors) straight from the 911.

The ergonomics of the car are spot on. When I first drove it, it felt low and weird but that's because I was not used to driving sports cars. In just a couple of drives, I got so used to it that driving my Ecosport feels weird now. The seating position, placement of the manual gearbox, mechanical handbrake and steering are all perfectly thought of. It's so so comfortable. Getting in and out is obviously a challenge for older people because it's quite low but for me, that adds to the sense of occasion of the car. Even getting in and out reminds you that this is a proper sports car.

The car has a lot of what I like to call 'fundamental features'. Inspite of being a manual, it's got a hill hold assist on both 1st and reverse gears. When you put the car in reverse, the passenger side mirror goes down so you don't kerb those beautiful wheels. The drivers seat is fully power adjustable with 3 memory options and you can even set default seat and mirror positions for each key. It's got a touch screen infotainment system that shows information like range, fuel economy etc. So it's got the basic stuff, which is quite decent for a 2010 car. I don't care that it doesn't have a navigation system because we have Google Maps on our phones, which is obviously better. What does annoy me is the lack of AUX & Bluetooth. It was quite common in 2010 so it's weird that a 1 cr.+ car did not have it. I've never used the stereo though (maybe once or twice just to check it out), because the engine sounds soooo good but more on that later.

Simple yet very sporty and very German
My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!-20200314_155419.jpg

Yellow dials with the large central rev counter looks wow
My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!-20200314_155520.jpg

Blurry picture but that's how it looks at night
My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!-20200125_112348.jpg

6 speed manual feels unlike any other car I've driven
My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!-20200314_155503.jpg

Notice the head protector and the rich carpeting at the back
My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!-20200314_155606.jpg

Head protector with the top down
My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!-20200321_171010.jpg

Guaranteed goosebumps while getting in
My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!-20200314_155444.jpg

Active rear spoiler button on the bottom left
My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!-20200314_155459.jpg

Exactly how it's meant to be
My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!-20200314_155536.jpg

Premium Porsche carpeting
My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!-20200314_155541.jpg

Those 911 doors open nice and long
My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!-20200314_155555.jpg

Need to open that latch before pressing the button to open the roof
My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!-20200314_155617.jpg

I'm not smiling but I couldn't be happier
My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!-img20200310wa0110.jpg

Practicality & Storage

It's a strict 2 seater (no seats at the back) but it's surprisingly practical for a sportscar. It's low but has a small wheelbase so doesn't scrape speed breakers too much more than my Mercedes C Class, which is actually amazing. The interior has lots of space to keep my phone and other small stuff. Dashboard is pretty generous too. Since the car is mid-engined, there are 2 boots - one in the front and one in the rear.

The 'frunk' is deep and spacious. Can take upto 2 cabin suitcases. Here I have the car cover and a huge tennis kit kept on top with still some space to spare
My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!-screenshot-20200318-11.45.47-pm.png

The 'trunk' is pretty small. One soft bag can fit here. There is also a compartment to top up engine oil and coolant here
My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!-20200314_155800.jpg

Active Rear Spoiler Operation

Last edited by Naman_Ferrari : 25th March 2020 at 19:17.
Naman_Ferrari is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 00:01   #6
BHPian

The Performance

When Chris Harris (auto journalist) reviewed the Boxster S, he said 'This car makes me wonder - what more car do you need? Do you need a faster car? Do you need a more agile car? you just don't. This thing is brilliant'.
I haven't driven that many sports cars but I have no reason to doubt him. It's an occasion to drive it and it's hard to describe but I'll try my best. Let's start with some numbers -
NA Straight 6 Boxer Engine (referring to the arrangement of the pistons)
Power - 310 BHP
Torque - 360 NM
Weight - 1355 kg
0-100 in 5.3 seconds
6 speed manual transmission

The NA Engine

All these numbers are great obviously but they don't really tell the complete story. A lot of performance sedans (even SUVs) make more power and way more torque than this. So it's not only the power that makes the Porsche this good, it's the way it's delivered. Firstly, it's extremely linear. Turbochargers are great and a lot of fun but for me, they can't match the satisfaction you get from the linear power delivery of a NA engine (I used to love driving the Honda City). The Porsche is like the Honda City, except it's a Porsche with the same engine they put in the 911 with a slightly lower tune. It just LOVES to rev and it does that so smoothly. Again, I really enjoy how predictable it is - power is ALWAYS available in the same smooth and linear fashion. There is no turbo lag and no waiting to get on the power. Some people might actually be initially disappointed after driving the car because it's not that 'torquey'. It doesn't really push you back into your seat that hard (it does obviously but you might feel that more in a 530d for example). This car is all about linear power than outright torque (which is perfect for me but not everyone). To be clear, this is me knit picking for the sake of the review - it's all amazing the way it is

The Steering

The steering is hydraulic and feels telepathic. I can genuinely feel every small bump and crack on the road. I'll be honest, I'm still getting used to it. The accuracy of the steering scares me sometimes because over a rough section, the car suddenly feels light. It's probably a good thing because modern electric steerings probably mask all that feedback which can't be good. At lower speeds and while parking, it's quite heavy but I don't mind because it reminds me that this thing is made only for one thing - performance!

The Stick Shift Gearbox

The gearbox is quite different from any other manual I've driven. The clutch is quite heavy (similar to a diesel Vento) but the travel is extremely precise and easy to get used to. I've stalled the car just once! The gearbox needs getting used to. Firstly, when the car is cold, it's HARD. When you shift, it makes a clunking noise (this scared me at first but apparently all manual Porsche's make that sound when the gearbox is cold). Secondly, it's got a really short throw which is great but takes getting used to. Initially, I used to shift to second but afraid to release the clutch because I wasn't sure if it was engaged. But once you get used to this and once the engine warms up, it's sublime. Butter smooth shifts and the short throws are really satisfying. When the revs are high and you shift up from 2nd to 3rd, the whole transition and the way the car picks up pace is addictive. Every time I drive the car, I feel so happy I went for the manual. It gives that analogue experience that most modern sports cars just don't offer.

Mid-Engined

The other thing I love about the car is just the way it drives. It's mid engined with a near perfect weight distribution, so the car is extremely precise. I know it's a clique to say this but it really is very accurate. Just point the steering and the car changes direction with no hesitation and no body roll (at least I have never felt any).

Drivability in Indian conditions

Another thing I like to point out is that I feel like the power is just right for India. I know more power is always better than less but is it? As mentioned before by MANY members on this forum, the lesser power a car makes, the more fun it is to drive hard. Obviously, the Porsche still makes a lot of power but it's not so much that I cannot go past 3,000 rmp in second gear without doing silly speeds. The Porsche feels scarily quick when you push it but you can push it. I'm a big car enthusiast as you can probably tell but I've never crossed 105-110 kmph and I don't intend to. Never needed to. It's so much fun before that. Why would I risk myself and the car and everyone around? Makes no sense to me. Again, 1st, 2nd & 3rd gears is all I need to enjoy this car to the fullest. I always prefer acceleration > speed (I know it's inter-related but I hope you know what I mean).

Kitna deti hai?

When I asked the seller how much the fuel economy of the car is, he said 'if you care about that you probably shouldn't buy this car'. He said it in a joking way but he was serious. To be honest, I've never checked from full to full but the onboard computer shows that it averages between 4 to 6 kmpl depending on the road and the way it was driven. The first time I filled her up, it showed between 4-5 but that was regular octane petrol (the tank was empty when I took delivery so had to fill up at the first pump I could find). After that, filled it with poWer 99 from HP. Costs 20 rupees a litre more than regular petrol but the economy increased by around 1 kmpl. These cars need a higher octane because the compression ratio of the engine is higher, so a lower octane can result in engine knocking and reduced performance. The running is very very low (generally joy rides in the city) so I don't mind this and will continue to use high octane fuel.

Ground Clearance

The only place I can park the car is the basement of my house, so the thing I was most scared about was if it will actually go in without hitting the floor. The first time I took the car into the basement when I got the car was the moment of truth. I was so scared but to my relief it didn't
Thanks to the short wheelbase of the car, inspite of being quite low, it does not hit the floor on my basement ramp and does not scrape speed breakers (most of them at least). This is the part of the car which surprised me the most - it's actually not that bad, even for India!

The Soundddd

Coming to the exhaust note - my favourite part. I park the car in the corner of my basement and the sound it makes on a cold start is hard to describe. I've pinched myself more than once just to make sure I'm not dreaming. The feeling is unreal. Only a couple of months back, I used to imagine driving a car like this in the shower and make stupid exhaust sounds in my head (it sounds funny but I still do it). When you rev it past 4,000 rpm, the engine is at it's happiest - power comes in really strong and makes a killer sound.

Revving it like this hurt my heart but I had to do it once and I made sure I took a video (I was super careful and the car was warm when I did it).
Headphones recommended

Last edited by Naman_Ferrari : 25th March 2020 at 19:38.
Naman_Ferrari is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 00:03   #7
BHPian

Planned Maintenance & Modifications

First thing on my agenda after the coronavirus situation is sorted is to take the car to the Porsche service centre and get it serviced completely. It drives perfectly and feels perfect in every way but I'd rather get it checked and serviced by Porsche completely at least once. It's my first used car so want to be extra careful. Once I know Porsche has serviced it and told me everything is okay, I will be satisfied. For all the satisfaction a car like this gives, it also gives a lot of stress. I can't really afford a Porsche, I'm young, mad about cars and had just enough of my own money to buy it with no responsibilities, so I just did it. But it's still scary to think that I might need to drop lacks if something breaks. So I'm hoping the service gives some peace of mind. On a side note, if anyone knows a good garage in Bangalore that has experience working on such cars, please let me know!

I have never really modified any of my other cars. The Ecosport just has some Team-Bhp stickers and sports pedals but that's about it. Luckily, this Porsche is 100% stock (means it probably wasn't driven that hard). I do however plan to do some minor modifications -
- Performance wise, the only thing I am considering to do is to put a new exhaust. The stock one I have sounds nice but it could be louder. Maybe a Capristo or a Porsche sports exhaust (suggestions welcome)
- Might paint the alloys black and get some Porsche decals (subtle ones) to make the car look more sporty
- It's unlikely that I will do this but I might get a nice spoiler at some point
PS: I'm quite happy with the car the way it is for now, so will wait at least a year before doing any of the above.

So how long do I want to keep her?

I've mentioned this before but repeating it again here. The main rationale behind buying the car was that I will have a sports car forever (unless something goes very wrong). My dream car, as you can probably tell from my handle is a Ferrari F430/458 Italia. I always thought I'm saving for that. But then I realised - how do I know what will happen 10/20 years from now. The Porsche is 99% of the experience at 10% of the price and I can get the experience TODAY. Seemed to me like a no brainer!

So the answer is FOREVER. I do not intend to sell this car. This is part of the reason I wanted a manual. 20 years from today, a manual Porsche with a hydraulic steering and a NA flat 6 engine will be gold (not to sell but to enjoy). It's the last generation of the Boxster/Cayman with the truly analogue experience. Sure, it will be hard with a lot of problems but I know I really want to have that experience of having a nice car for decades. I know it all sounds a bit 'cheesey' but I'm sure it will be worth it.

Also, I haven't abandoned my love for Ferrari's. It's still my ambition (it's important to have something to aspire to and work towards). I hope one day I can fulfil that ultimate dream. But now with the Porsche, I know that if I don't end up being able to buy a Ferrari, it's okay! I have 99% of that experience sitting in my basement.

I know it was a long article and I'm not very good at this but if you got to the end (or even if you read a part of it), thank you very much for your time. I hope more of us are able to find a way to take that plunge and get the car we've been dreaming about. Thanks again and all the best

My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!-20200314_160035.jpg

Also want to thank GTO for his 530d review (which I used as a guide).

One final thing - if anyone can introduce me to any supercar clubs/drives that operate in Bangalore, I would really appreciate it! I tried emailing one or two but no response, so maybe they need a reference.

Last edited by Naman_Ferrari : 25th March 2020 at 19:40.
Naman_Ferrari is offline   (107) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 07:54   #8
Team-BHP Support

re: My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 09:57   #9
BHPian

Re: My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!

First off, that is a phenomenal piece of Machinery you have your hands on. A manual gearbox makes it even better. As far as maintenance is concerned why don't you check out the Bangalore directory. Why don't you check out Club Octane for a car club (not sure if you need a referral).

All the best,
Sreesh
Sreesh1009 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 10:10   #10
BHPian

Congratulations mate!! The yellow Boxter really looks divine. Wishing you all the very best!!

P.S: Do keep posting regular updates on this thread pertaining to usage pattern, servicing etc; it may just nudge me in the right direction :-)
docprashant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 10:20   #11
BHPian

Congrats Naman on your wonderful purchase and thank you for such a detailed ownership review. IMO You got the perfect affordable sportscar. Wish you many more happy miles with this machine. I can just imagine your itch to go out for a drive during this entire coronavirus situation :P
dealer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 10:46   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naman_Ferrari View Post

I've mentioned this before but repeating it again here. The main rationale behind buying the car was that I will have a sports car forever (unless something goes very wrong). My dream car, as you can probably tell from my handle is a Ferrari F430/458 Italia. I always thought I'm saving for that. But then I realised - how do I know what will happen 10/20 years from now. The Porsche is 99% of the experience at 10% of the price and I can get the experience TODAY. Seemed to me like a no brainer!

That my friend is the true differentiating factor between someone who likes cars and someone who loves cars. Enjoy what you can in the present and look forward to tomorrow with a smile on your face today

Nice ownership write up. Hope you will keep the thread updated over time.
sunilch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 11:06   #13
BHPian

Congrats Naman!

You've managed to get yourself a brilliant analog sports car that'll give you hours and kilometres of endless fun!

However, something seems really off with the rear wheels and tyres. The rear rim seems too thin, and the tyres seem to be 235 section.
Some internet research told me that the that this 987.2 came with 265 section tyres stock.

Also, I don't think your current rear rim can accomodate 265 section tyres.

Could you confirm this once?
KaranP is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 11:11   #14
BHPian

That is an absolutely fantastic car you have gotten yourself!

A completely true to its roots Porsche with a straight 6 and a manual transmission at the price of a D-segment sedan. What more could an enthusiast want!

Please share your experience after taking the car to the Porsche service center and evaluating it after the present situation improves.

Wishing you many happy miles!
Pegasus1134 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 11:39   #15
BHPian

Congrats on your purchase! IMO, Porsches are one of those cars which look timeless and hide their age very well.

I had a long rental of a 2000 Porsche 911 996 on Turo which was immaculately looked after and was a very fun car to drive. The only turn off was the bland and outdated interior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaranP View Post
However, something seems really off with the rear wheels and tyres. The rear rim seems too thin, and the tyres seem to be 235 section.
Could you confirm this once?
I'm curious about this too, it looks like the tyres are tucking in a wee bit more, yeah?
LOL_FWD is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed