Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2020, 16:01   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: My white steed from Stuttgart - Porsche Cayman S 987.2 Review

Very Neat car.

Do share details from where did you buy and how much did you pay.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 17:10   #17

Congratulations, Rishabh! You have been blessed with a pleasure which very few guys out here get to enjoy.

Completely respect your decision to go for fully stock vehicles. It can be quite tedious sometimes getting out of the car and checking the gaps while reverse parking, but it's quite worth it just to know that your vehicle is in perfect factory spec. A that is one fine piece you have picked up!

If I may ask for a favor from you. I am sure some of our fellow readers would agree, too, that we would LOVE to listen to the exhaust note as you depress the throttle. Maybe share a video/ link?
frozen.ash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 18:11   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Nice write up, you’re quite the photographer! Expecting to see more reviews and threads from you, especially on the Octavia and Petra (if you could). Enjoy your Porsche for many miles!
Thanks a lot for the kind words, will soon be creating more threads for my other cars too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer23 View Post
Great review! Your pre-purchase due diligence is really solid.
Lovely pics overall and I must say the speedometer is neat & completely no nonsense - 50,100,150 & so on. The intent is clear - Drive fast
Thanks a lot. The Pre Purchase due diligence part came when I picked up my MK1 VRS. It was the first used car in the family and I used to keep reading various threads on Team BHP related to what all to check before buying one. It made me very clear that a proper checkup of the car and a going through the technical service bulletins & common issues helps a lot in picking the right one

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Read your thread word to word! Incredible review - thanks for sharing, Rishabh. We have similar names (mine is with a "u") and similar taste in cars. I've been eyeing the Cayman closely...very closely. IMHO, it's the perfect sports car for India with just the right amount of power to be fast enough (not crazy fast) and that lovely gokart-like feel. I would actually prefer your Cayman over the newer one for a simple reason = 6-cylinders . While the new 4-pot turbo is quick, its missing that aural pleasure.
Thanks a lot for the appreciation GTO. I have been reading all your threads ever since I started visiting Team BHP in 2006 (school days). Yes we do share similar names and passion aswell. You should go ahead with the Cayman in the future, and as you said it is not about outright speed but the way the car behaves to the drivers input is just spot on and an unmatchable experience overall. Hope to see you soon someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NannuBhai View Post
Congratulations buddy. And am I jealous or what? I’m also a big fan of Porsche, would gladly get one, just a small problem of finance.
Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
Congratulations on your dream car. It looks dashing. If you don't mind can you share the pricing details? I always wanted a Thar, Mini Cooper, Jeep Wrangler and a Pajero sports in my garage. Right now settled with a TUV

I really appreciate your patience and selection process. Not comprising on even small details like bumper re-painting, aftermarket HU and rear sensors shows your resilience. Not everyone can achieve their dream vehicle. Best of luck.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
That’s a concise review of a great looking car. Threads like this provide fodder for many guys like me, yearning to take that next big leap to a proper sportscar. Here’s hoping you have many fun miles at the wheel. She deserves a proper photoshoot too, do share more pics in due course of time.
May I ask how much you paid for her? The curious cat in me insists I ask.
Thanks a lot, will do a photoshoot soon and update it on the thread. Would be great if we can talk about the monetary bits on PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
Great review of a fantastic car. Having experienced your immense knowledge first hand over many years, I'm not surprised you did all this due diligence - I feel for the folks you were meeting though. They wouldn't have known what hit them. Glad you finally found this after many years of search and hard work.

And I must admit I've been a beneficiary of your knowledge whilst finalising my own pocket rocket. So when are we swapping keys? It's been due for some time.
Hehe, thanks a lot for your tips and tricks as well as helping me learn to stay patient. From the Petra & Tjet to Cayman and AMG days, Your company has been very supportive and great. Hope to catch up soon post corona and go for a spin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingsilver View Post
That is one immaculate car! Congrats on a fantastic acquisition. The previous cars in your garage speak well of your taste and car-worship.

With such a strict wishlist for your Porche purchase, I was initially skeptical while reading your thread and was eager to get to the part where you zero-ed in on THE car and its specs/paperwork etc. I did a small thumbs-up when you described that it fit all your requirements, including being Bare Stock and having clean paperwork. Patience obviously pays!

Do keep updating the thread with more ownership and maintenance info. Cheers!
Thanks a lot for the kind words mate, Being patient is the key, there were times when i thought that there would be no car which will match my expectations, but finally found it.
Will keep the thread updated with all the work done in future. Cheers !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
Mighty congrats on your dream car and wish you many many thousands of kms of enjoyable motoring. Generally speaking, we men dont have such a large list to splurge on. So the few that we can, you JUST DO IT!

I am not much of a sports car person (frankly cant afford to maintain one!) but among the list I always have a soft spot for Porsche. It was very interesting to read your detailed pre-purchase research & absolute resolve to ensure what you exactly wanted when buying one of these exotic pre-owned beauties.

Many thanks for sharing this lovely story and wish you safe driving
Thanks a lot for the appreciation. Cheers !

Quote:
Originally Posted by De-Veer View Post
Congrats on the purchase Rishabh Bhai! I used to love the sound of the Petra whenever you brought it to college. So now that you have got a stock car, how long do you plan to keep it that way? Any mods planned or leaving that for a later date?
Great to see you after a long time. Glad you remember the Petra and the old college days. I wish to keep it for as long as possible and hope NGT comes up with some solution for re registration of cars in Delhi/NCR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf9 View Post
Your review reminds me of the Porsche ad.

https://m.Youtube.com/watch?v=7sWPHKU1XZU
This Advertisement is so apt, the boy promises to see the sales executive after 20 years. The only difference here is in my case the poster was enough to inspire me to buy it someday in the future. By the way I took the same time of 20 years to buy as mentioned in the advertisement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Great review Rishabh. Loved reading it. Its great to see that you prefer bone stock cars. The 911 Turbo wheels looks splendid. That must be the alloys for the 997 IIRC. The Cayman is lovely car and best suited for Indian roads. Hope you have loads of fun driving it.
Thanks a lot, yes they do belong to the 997 Turbo and was available as an optional wheel from the factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Very Neat car.

Do share details from where did you buy and how much did you pay.
Thanks a lot, would be great if we can talk about the monetary bits on PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen.ash View Post
Congratulations, Rishabh! You have been blessed with a pleasure which very few guys out here get to enjoy.

Completely respect your decision to go for fully stock vehicles. It can be quite tedious sometimes getting out of the car and checking the gaps while reverse parking, but it's quite worth it just to know that your vehicle is in perfect factory spec. A that is one fine piece you have picked up!

If I may ask for a favor from you. I am sure some of our fellow readers would agree, too, that we would LOVE to listen to the exhaust note as you depress the throttle. Maybe share a video/ link?
Thanks a lot for appreciating, will surely share the exhaust video soon
123.rishabh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 18:32   #19
BHPian

Finally, we get to see the thread on this lovely car! Having being involved in Rishabh's search and assessment process, I can vouch for his attention to detail and perseverance during the whole process. There was a time(probably even now) that if I just so mentioned anything about a particular Boxster or Cayman in India, Rishabh would have all the details, and service/re-paint history etc.

From the hilarious time we had during the delivery process(we told a common friend that he bought an S6, and so had him suitably surprised when we revealed the car), to photographing the car(it just doesn't have a bad angle), to driving it, the car just makes you feel wonderful. You cannot come out of it(driver or shotgun) not smiling. The steering, suspension and overall driving feel is just so direct and solid. There is no body roll, the smallest of your inputs can and will result in the car responding to it, and the precision with which you can place and control this car, is something I have not experienced. I found the steering to be great, and though Rishabh finds it too hard at parking speeds, I actually found it fine. After a brief spin driving the Cayman, when I jumped back into the 530d, I actually thought my suspension components had come loose.

The cars paint looks stunning and is in great condition, and the exhaust which is fairly silent below 2500RPM, really gets going post that, and I personally feel this is how all cars should behave. Having a shouty exhaust at 1500RPM is just painful. The constant attention the car gets is a definite dampener, and it is just not possible to park it without having an eye on it 24/7. This does reduce its usability. Whenever we go on meets, and I am following Rishabh, it is simply mind boggling, everyone turns to see the car, and mind you, we are in Gurgaon, a place where my 530d doesn't even get a second glance from anyone.

Wishing you miles of happy motoring mate, the car is in pristine shape, and I'm sure will keep you entertained for a long, long time.

Highlighting the difference in height, length and wheelbase. The short wheelbase means, that ground clearance is not an issue at all.
My white steed from Stuttgart - Porsche Cayman S 987.2 Review-img20200201wa0033.jpg

2 good looking cars, hanging out!
My white steed from Stuttgart - Porsche Cayman S 987.2 Review-img20200607wa0008.jpg
bhuvan_prasad is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 21:44   #20
BHPian

Congratulations on purchasing that fine specimen of a Porsche. I wish you many thousands of safe and fun filled miles. I see that, like me, you prefer to keep your cars bone stock and that's a really clean Cayman.

As another Porsche aficionado and a hardcore purist at heart, my favourite car of the moment is the Porsche 718 Cayman GTS 4.0, due to the irresistable combination of a wonderful naturally aspirated 4.0L boxer motor and a sweet manual transmission. I am in the market for a fun+fast car but have decided to postpone the purchase as there is a very high probability of me moving to the UK in the near future and have decided that's the first car I purchase as soon as I get there.

Kindly keep this thread updated with the various little details and ownership experiences, as and when time permits.
dr_davis97 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 22:25   #21
BHPian

Excellent thread brother, very well written and explained. The attention to detail is conspicuous and not everyone would have so much patience to go through the buying checklist like you did. The pictures are so droolworthy. Wish you many amazing miles with the beauty. Can't wait to get a ride soon!
Akshitsi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 23:00   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuvan_prasad View Post
Finally, we get to see the thread on this lovely car! Having being involved in Rishabh's search and assessment process, I can vouch for his attention to detail and perseverance during the whole process. There was a time(probably even now) that if I just so mentioned anything about a particular Boxster or Cayman in India, Rishabh would have all the details, and service/re-paint history etc.
Thanks a lot bro. The purchase process was long, but over time gave us a crystal clear picture of how a clean Cayman should be like.
You, Akshay and Rohan have given me enough boost & have been a great source of technical support in this car purchase process

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_davis97 View Post
Congratulations on purchasing that fine specimen of a Porsche. I wish you many thousands of safe and fun filled miles. I see that, like me, you prefer to keep your cars bone stock and that's a really clean Cayman.

As another Porsche aficionado and a hardcore purist at heart, my favourite car of the moment is the Porsche 718 Cayman GTS 4.0, due to the irresistable combination of a wonderful naturally aspirated 4.0L boxer motor and a sweet manual transmission. I am in the market for a fun+fast car but have decided to postpone the purchase as there is a very high probability of me moving to the UK in the near future and have decided that's the first car I purchase as soon as I get there.

Kindly keep this thread updated with the various little details and ownership experiences, as and when time permits.
Thanks a lot, The new 718 GTS 4.0 is the real successor to the 981 GT4 and brings back the 6 cylinder power plant. Wishing you all the very best for acquiring this new beauty soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshitsi View Post
Excellent thread brother, very well written and explained. The attention to detail is conspicuous and not everyone would have so much patience to go through the buying checklist like you did. The pictures are so droolworthy. Wish you many amazing miles with the beauty. Can't wait to get a ride soon!
Thanks a lot bro, miss the old TSI college days !
Hope you visit India soon and we'll surely go for a spin (Do check out some new 1:24 Porsche models for me)
123.rishabh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 23:06   #23
BHPian

Congrats on your buy Rishabh and wish you many happy miles with it.
I have always been a great admirer of such classic designs. The shape of the car looks such that to a layman it may pass off as a brand new 2020 BS-6 design and I am sure the car will still turn heads two decades from now.( or even better )
mufeez1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 23:19   #24
BHPian

Congratulations man, what a great car you found for yourself. Seriously well done!
I looked for 6 months and couldn't find a better example than my Boxster. It's not as perfect as yours but it's solid mechanically :-)

Good thing you avoided the 987.1. I've probably seen every video on YouTube about the IMS and bore scoring and it's just not worth the risk in India.

And I totally feel you on learning how to control the car. I've had one or two scary situations myself. But I'm much more comfortable driving it now.

Again congratulations, it's great to see that a fellow bhpian got a 987.2. I genuinely believe it's the best generation to buy irrespective of price (flat 6 + hydraulic steering).

One last thing - AMAZING review, I read it twice!!
Naman_Ferrari is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 23:40   #25
BHPian

Exemplary choice of Wheels buddy. And your patience to wait for 2 years for right set of wheels. You precisely knew what you wanted to the T. Buddy whats the price you got it for? You paid a premium coz of the clean looks and since their were no clean examples available. Again an excellent choice.
Puneet0051 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 23:48   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufeez1234 View Post
Congrats on your buy Rishabh and wish you many happy miles with it.
I have always been a great admirer of such classic designs. The shape of the car looks such that to a layman it may pass off as a brand new 2020 BS-6 design and I am sure the car will still turn heads two decades from now.( or even better )
Thank you for the appreciation, I agree that many people get surprised when I tell them it's a 2010 model. Afterall these are timeless designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naman_Ferrari View Post
Congratulations man, what a great car you found for yourself. Seriously well done!
I looked for 6 months and couldn't find a better example than my Boxster. It's not as perfect as yours but it's solid mechanically :-)

Good thing you avoided the 987.1. I've probably seen every video on YouTube about the IMS and bore scoring and it's just not worth the risk in India.

And I totally feel you on learning how to control the car. I've had one or two scary situations myself. But I'm much more comfortable driving it now.

Again congratulations, it's great to see that a fellow bhpian got a 987.2. I genuinely believe it's the best generation to buy irrespective of price (flat 6 + hydraulic steering).

One last thing - AMAZING review, I read it twice!!
Thanks a lot mate, I even came across and inspected your car in 2018 as the manual option lured me, but was more inclined for a Cayman S so continued my search for it. Wishing you many more happy miles and smiles with the Boxter S, do keep updating your thread.
123.rishabh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 00:57   #27
BHPian

Great thread man, brought back memories. I would go to the first service( in your ownership ) if I were you and get things done in front of me. It is extremely important that the engine oil is not overfilled and all measurement using the digital gauge be done on a level surface and when the car reaches operating temperature. Also the Radiators tend to accumulate leaves, please clean them to ensure the engine the engine can be cooled properly. Please also keep in mind that the wheel nuts need to be torqued properly alongwith any other critical components.

Happy motoring !
revvedup is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 10:51   #28
BHPian

Congratulations on your new steed. The car truly looks amazing. .
The pictures you shared are also very nice.

I am not much of a sports car fan and I lean a lot towards bikes, but the Porsche cars are the only ones that ever took my fancy. I love the time less design of the Porsches.
The Cayman looks closest to the 911 design-wise and it sounds like its a very practical usable car for our road conditions, bad roads not withstanding.

Are you planning on getting the OEM parking assistance added from the SVC?. Also, it would be good to give us an understanding of what approximately would be the regular per year maintenance cost (service and regular parts change) in a car such as this in our country. It never hurts to dream of getting one, I guess.

Wishing you many thousands of miles of fun filled motoring. Do keep the thread updated with loads of pictures. I for one can never get tired of seeing them.

Cheerio!
alphadog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 18:41   #29
BHPian

Does Porsche provide extended warranties to such cars? If no, what are the things that may go wrong mechanical and electrical wise?
Also where do you plan to maintain your car, ASC or independent garage?
mufeez1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 20:41   #30
BHPian

congrats on the buy and wishing you lots of happy miles with the car.

My story is almost similar, I got my 2014 981 CS in January. It took me one year and checking out 6-7 Porsches (Cayman S & GTS) and other RWD cars (370z, E92 M3) to finally end up buying the one that ticked all boxes.

Last edited by crazybiker46 : 2nd July 2020 at 20:43.
crazybiker46 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed