Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2023, 13:37   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowhistle View Post
Oh you absolutely belong to the camp I must say...

I might not be the guy to get the S but 911 seems right up my alley when time is right, thank you for planting the seed in my mind...
There is no better place than team-bhp when it comes to mutual encouragement :-)

Name:  encouragementmeme.png
Views: 1951
Size:  292.7 KB

Quote:
I'm pleasantly surprised by the maintenance figures, this is not far from what I had in my mind as well. Cheers and have a great 2023!
I think one can get routine service done for a much lower cost outside A.S.S. if a trustworthy garage is an option. Older Porsche cars are very well engineered for DIY maintenance with excellent online guides. The only trouble is if the car requires anything beyond regular maintenance, it can make a grown man cry. All said and done, this is one of those "red buttons" one gotta push when the opportunity presents itself. Worth the sacrifices in other departments.

I made an attempt to create a video. Even though basic, almost all the footage is contributed by my younger son. Mind the sound level :-)

Last edited by androdev : 21st January 2023 at 13:45.
androdev is online now   (45) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 22:40   #152
Senior - BHPian

I'm very jealous of the greenery that you seem to live in.
v1p3r is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 14:04   #153
BHPian

The action of the lady putting her hands on the dash as you accelerated was super cute. Reminds me of the times I do it when the wifey puts the pedal to the metal when we drive.

Last edited by lordtottuu : 23rd January 2023 at 14:05. Reason: Edit: Clarified the object of the cuteness. :p
lordtottuu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2023, 19:05   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordtottuu View Post
The action of the lady putting her hands on the dash as you accelerated was super cute.
Not everyone is so lucky!
The moment I try to feel the Vroom, I get brutally 'broomed' by my better half
gyanbaba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2023, 20:00   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quick update as the 997 has crossed the 997KM mark 26 times

Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)-odo.jpeg

Finally got to drive on the Bangalore-Mysore expressway and the PDK doesn't disappoint.

Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)-fe.jpeg

Fell for the Google maps trap and ended up passing through small hamlets completely lost. Amused but helpful villagers managed to save me from the narrow "bike only" kachha roads. In the bargain, I got to experience some lovely countryside.

Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)-road1.jpeg

Of course, not everyone is that helpful!

Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)-window.jpeg

The heart always longs for what lies beyond the expressways:

Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)-road2.jpeg
Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)-road3.jpeg
androdev is online now   (48) Thanks
Old 24th June 2023, 11:17   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Airport road should have plenty of eye candy for Porsche fans on this coming Sunday, 2nd July:

Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)-porschedrive.jpeg

I looked up the venue "Mulberry Shades Bengaluru Nandi Hills", but gosh some Rs 22K+taxes per night for a destination like Nandi Hills
androdev is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2023, 17:22   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Some of you may know that I bought a Jimny and been driving it regularly.

Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)-pair.jpeg

It's a great city car but boy, on the highway, I get bullied by pretty much every other car. An unfamiliar emotion :-) Decided to take the 911 on a healing trip to nurse all those wounds!

I was just cruising along and suddenly an unidentified flying object hit the car with a loud bang. It happened too suddenly and I had no clue what just happened. All I could see from the driver's seat was an ugly patch on the bonnet and windshield. Maybe 10-15 years back, I would have stopped the car, stepped out and shed few tears. Now I just keep calm, curse my bad luck and trudge along.

Here is the video from the dashcam:

Came home and checked the damage. It looked pretty bad and I was certain a bodyshop visit will be in order. I was kicking myself for not getting a PPF coating done at least for the hood and front fenders.

Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)-patch.jpeg

Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)-glass.jpeg

No idea what black magic Porsche guys do in their factories but I could just wipe the whole thing with a microfibre towel. I didn't even have to use any polish - no dent or scratch. Just as good as new. Do you feel lucky, punk? I do, sir.

Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)-clear.jpeg
androdev is online now   (80) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 07:46   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I was just cruising along and suddenly an unidentified flying object hit the car with a loud bang.

I was kicking myself for not getting a PPF coating done at least for the hood and front fenders.
Looks like the Swift's wheel-well cladding worked itself loose? Couldn't spot anything on the road in front but could have been there of course.

PPF is a great idea!
itwasntme is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 11:44   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Looks like the Swift's wheel-well cladding worked itself loose? Couldn't spot anything on the road in front but could have been there of course.
Yeah, the swift driver was in full of josh after seeing a 911 in his rear view mirror and tried to stay ahead for quite some distance before giving way. The dynamic weight reduction feature of Swift kicked in :-)

In general, many drivers get naughty when they see this car. Some want to just humour themselves by keeping up with it, some genuinely want to engage me in a race and others just want to stay close within viewing distance. I try to maintain reasonable cruising speeds so these exchanges are fairly common and long lasting.

It's actually much easier to maintain low cruising speeds in this car compared to typical German sedans. All the engine noise, harsh ride, etc. gives you the feeling that you are doing good speeds. In a typical German sedan, it's VERY difficult (actually irritating) to cruise at legal speeds on good highways.

Quote:
PPF is a great idea!
PPF protection is not as simple as it seems.

Minor incidents such as this: Paint is not at risk but PPF will need replacement as PPF will surely get damaged. I hear you get PPF that can be polished/repaired?

Medium incidents with paint damage but no dents: the sweet spot where PPF serves its purpose really well - stone chips and minor scratches. Will still need fresh PPF replacement.

Major incidents: PPF offers no protection and will need fresh PPF replacement.

PPF is not cheap and I also like the look without PPF. Abroad, bodyshop work is very expensive so PPF is a good insurance. Here PPF is not cheap and bodyshop work is fairly inexpensive when you consider the kind of damage that PPF actually prevents.

So the cost benefit analysis is a bit complicated but I think will take this as a warning sign and go for it
androdev is online now   (26) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 12:46   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Yeah, the swift driver was in full of josh after seeing a 911 in his rear view mirror and tried to stay ahead for quite some distance before giving way. The dynamic weight reduction feature of Swift kicked in :-)

In general, many drivers get naughty when they see this car. Some want to just humour themselves by keeping up with it, some genuinely want to engage me in a race and others just want to stay close within viewing distance. I try to maintain reasonable cruising speeds so these exchanges are fairly common and long lasting.

It's actually much easier to maintain low cruising speeds in this car compared to typical German sedans. All the engine noise, harsh ride, etc. gives you the feeling that you are doing good speeds. In a typical German sedan, it's VERY difficult (actually irritating) to cruise at legal speeds on good highways.

PPF protection is not as simple as it seems.

Minor incidents such as this: Paint is not at risk but PPF will need replacement as PPF will surely get damaged. I hear you get PPF that can be polished/repaired?

Medium incidents with paint damage but no dents: the sweet spot where PPF serves its purpose really well - stone chips and minor scratches. Will still need fresh PPF replacement.

Major incidents: PPF offers no protection and will need fresh PPF replacement.

PPF is not cheap and I also like the look without PPF. Abroad, bodyshop work is very expensive so PPF is a good insurance. Here PPF is not cheap and bodyshop work is fairly inexpensive when you consider the kind of damage that PPF actually prevents.

So the cost benefit analysis is a bit complicated but I think will take this as a warning sign and go for it

Sir I feel that if you have a Porsche you need some sort of protection for your paint job. These days, self healing PPF is able to take on stone chips, key marks and other damage and repair itself when exposed to heat. The real issue is finding a shop that does a good job and also doesn’t leave visible join lines anywhere on the bodywork. Highly recommend that you do get the front end done however, along with the bumper as well.
Taronish_E is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 16:23   #161
Team-BHP Support

For light coloured car, I would avoid PPF except for the front bumper.

My Audi came with PPF, this turns yellow over time. I needed to repaint one side and there is a mismatch. The simplest solution would be to remove the PPF but that means that I need to repaint the entire panel and pay extra to remove. PPF.

Frankly PPF is only worth it for dark cars
ajmat is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 19:04   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
For light coloured car, I would avoid PPF except for the front bumper.

My Audi came with PPF, this turns yellow over time. I needed to repaint one side and there is a mismatch. The simplest solution would be to remove the PPF but that means that I need to repaint the entire panel and pay extra to remove. PPF.

Frankly PPF is only worth it for dark cars
That’s a great point. As such old white cars suffer from this yellowing already (metal and plastic parts look different in colour as they are), adding PPF might only exacerbate this problem.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 10:20   #163
BHPian

PPF on white car turns yellowish over a period of time. The guarantee period doesn't mean anything as the ppf detailer will not bear the expense of repainting the yellowish car panel.

I would suggest you get an official Porsche white paint marker from the dealer or from ebay. They are very cheap. But should only be used for minor works like chips or nicks. It needs careful hands and precise application.

I bought from ebay for my car. Below is the reference image.

Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)-sl1600.jpg

Last edited by Dante : 31st July 2023 at 10:22.
Dante is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 12:22   #164
Senior - BHPian

Dont bother about PPF. Apart from the fact that it can turn yellow, PPF also works best when the car is new with factory finish paint. Given that your 911 is old, PPF might not stick that well and can have bubbles, etc. I say, let it slide.
Pancham is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 18:06   #165
BHPian

Oh boy! That was a Felipe Massa moment!!! Thank God, nothing happened and it was a safe drive.
jazzrockz is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed