Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2020, 04:31   #61
BHPian

Re: Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
The frunk lid is held up by two very flimsy struts, it has a tendency to suddenly close down. Could be worn out struts also but feels cheap overall.
Definitely worn out struts - will fail completely soon & won't be able to keep frunk lid open under its own weight at all even for a second. One of the most common problems on old 997s (along with worn out climate control rubber buttons). New ones in perfect shape, feel very very satisfying when opening & closing the frunk. Easily replaced from Porsche or on your own too.
anks_at is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 04:44   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
[ 55K for replacing front suspension mounts, 30K for driver side window regulator. The last two items were ordered during pre-purchase inspection and took the usual long time to procure the parts.
It surprised me to see the markups that MB India keeps here

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4927408 (My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review)

Since your car will be out of warranty, check with Porsche centre if they are open to fitting bought out parts? In which case, it might make sense to get these from overseas. If you have a business account with DHL/ TNT, transportation and custom clearance will be a breeze.

Tire imports is a sad reality. Most manufacturers are also in a fix. It's not fair for any Tire manufacturer to put a plant for 19-22 inches for our kind of volume.
Turbanator is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 09:14   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
You are much better off! Trust me! I have been getting in and out of this thing below since morning today while I was setting it up with my daughter at our home. And it's not been pleasant either for my back or my girls watching me do it!
Attachment 2078035
Ha ha, if it makes you feel any better, my boys don't miss an opportunity to take pictures anytime I get into compromising postures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anks_at View Post
Definitely worn out struts - will fail completely soon & won't be able to keep frunk lid open under its own weight at all even for a second. One of the most common problems on old 997s (along with worn out climate control rubber buttons). New ones in perfect shape, feel very very satisfying when opening & closing the frunk. Easily replaced from Porsche or on your own too.
Thanks for the heads up - will plan to change them. Climate control buttons are holding up well, I think that issue was only with 997.1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
It surprised me to see the markups that MB India keeps here

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4927408 (My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review)

Since your car will be out of warranty, check with Porsche centre if they are open to fitting bought out parts? In which case, it might make sense to get these from overseas. If you have a business account with DHL/ TNT, transportation and custom clearance will be a breeze.
Yeah I usually look up these part numbers online and the net price dealers charge often exceeds 3x. Have been telling myself to live and let live I should start exploring your suggestion of procuring the parts myself. Do I need a business account with DHL/TNT - or can any decent CHA take care of it? Won't customs complain if a business unrelated to automotive industry is trying to import automotive parts? Arguing with and convincing customs department is not for the faint hearted!

Quote:
Tire imports is a sad reality. Most manufacturers are also in a fix. It's not fair for any Tire manufacturer to put a plant for 19-22 inches for our kind of volume.
The govt is imposing some absurd "one-size fits all" rules which is terrible for high end cars and bikes. Very soon we will have many of these vehicles collecting dust for want of tires. I am glad I retained my 17" wheels of S class - I think Continental makes this size locally. Govt is also going to ban non-ISI automotive glass, I wonder how CKD manufactures are going to cope with this new law.
androdev is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 09:54   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Have been telling myself to live and let live
Yeah, but there are better places for charity, I don't think Porsche dealerships usually qualify for such magnanimity.

Quote:
Do I need a business account with DHL/TNT - or can any decent CHA take care of it?
Most EU or American shops have contracts, and they will add the freight to invoice. Normally, such shipments get cleared without your business IEC number and you can show these as a business expense. If you have your own freight account, these shipments will get cleared under your IEC number. But, unless you are not into Automobiles, we can't claim GST refunds because of Auto parts/ repairs being in the negative list. In some high value/ bulky shipments, customs may ask IEC, but usually that does not happen for personal invoiced shipments.

Quote:
Won't customs complain if a business unrelated to automotive industry is trying to import automotive parts?

No, Customs don't have a problem on what you import or what you do with such imports unless these are under negative list, like the tyres.

Quote:
I wonder how CKD manufactures are going to cope with this new law.
It's on many other things, including alloys. This is what Ministers think.

“There is short term pain but there is long term gain,” Commerce Minister Piyush Goyal told an auto convention last week, saying India has become a dumping ground for low-quality goods by not having standards similar to other countries.

https://www.reuters.com/article/indi...-idUSKBN2611J6

I recollect having read somewhere that they have pushed the deadlines to next year.
Turbanator is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 11:42   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah I usually look up these part numbers online and the net price dealers charge often exceeds 3x.
There are FNG's that stock a lot of routine wear and tear parts (brake pads, rotors, suspension bits) and also arrange to get them if they don't have it in stock. So you don't need to deal with the customs - they handle that on a routine basis.

The technicians have worked on Porsche's abroad earlier so there's nothing to worry on that score.

But you've got the most important part right - prices are about 65 - 70% lower if you go this route. And that's quite a bit of saving.
AMG Power is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 19:20   #66
BHPian

You can source parts from Suncoast Porsche USA, and get the work done at an aftermarket Exotic car workshop and it will help you bring down the service costs drastically.

Talking about the rattles, it is an issue there with most Porsche sportscars mainly due to the stiff suspension setup and our wonderful roads. Even people abroad are facing such issues and I personally feel some plastic bits are of inferior quality (The B pillar trim in my Cayman feels cheap & is prone to rattle)

The frunk struts get weak over time but they are not very high pressure struts even when new, because the frunk door is made of aluminium and is super-light

I also plan to replace my rear tires & facing a big issue due to the Tire import ban. Its difficult to get same brand and similar year tires for front and rear (Different Sizes). Even I'm getting 2018 manufacturing tires & planning to go for Falken Azenis (Made in Japan) as it has some decent reviews and is the only tyre to come with unconditional warranty.
123.rishabh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 20:17   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

A fatal attraction is holding me fast how
How can I escape this irresistible grasp?

Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)-poutline.png

I curse the designer of this car. He made me suffer through this buying process of an out of state used car - I have never done so much donkey work in my entire life. Just when I thought the Mahabharat is finally over, disaster strikes again. I was checking Vahan portal to see if I got my KA number and was shocked to find that the number I wanted was issued to some other car. I checked with the RTO contact and it seems he noted down a different number than what I wanted. I now have to wait for eternity for the new series to open up. It would have been far worse if I had been issued that stupid number he noted it down - imagine paying for a number you dislike
androdev is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 14:55   #68
BHPian

Congrats androdev, she is a classic worth drooling on.

This is my first post on Team-BHP, and I am awaiting Pre Purchase Inspection on a 997.2 Base Carrera. 2010 manufactured with 15,000 Kms and single owner. This car doesn’t have a Sports Chrono Package or Porsche Sports Exhaust. How much would be the best price for this?
DreamcarFerrari is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 16:48   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamcarFerrari View Post
Congrats androdev, she is a classic worth drooling on.

This is my first post on Team-BHP, and I am awaiting Pre Purchase Inspection on a 997.2 Base Carrera. 2010 manufactured with 15,000 Kms and single owner. This car doesn’t have a Sports Chrono Package or Porsche Sports Exhaust. How much would be the best price for this?
Welcome to team-bhp! All the best with your purchase, is it a black one with red interior?

Not many 997s in the market to figure out an accurate price but I think 55-65L depending on state of registration and condition of the car. To be honest, mine was a case of "Fear of missing out" as I did not want to miss out on a white 997. I tried hard to venture towards white 991 but 997 emotional connection was at a different level for me personally. I get more excited by 993 Singer Porsche than the latest 992 GT3.

I don't know at what stage of purchase you are in, but make sure you buy it with your heart. Don't buy because something is a good deal - there is likely to be a lot of pain to endure when owning such an old sports car in India. Have you ruled out 991 - they are better in lot of ways unless you are very keen on classic appeal of 997?
androdev is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 17:39   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Welcome to team-bhp! All the best with your purchase, is it a black one with red interior?
Thank you for the reply.
Yes, it is a black 997.2 with red interior. The car was serviced at Porsche Kolkata in June 2018 at 12,000 Kms, after that the car was maintained at a local garage in Chennai. Couldn’t get any further information regarding the car. 991.1 has EPS which I didn’t want and 991.2 has Turbo downsized engines. 997.2 is the best of the post air cooled generation cars.
Did you check this car during your purchase? We’re there any issues to be concerned about?

Regards.
DreamcarFerrari is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 20:26   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the reply.
Yes, it is a black 997.2 with red interior. The car was serviced at Porsche Kolkata in June 2018 at 12,000 Kms, after that the car was maintained at a local garage in Chennai. Couldn’t get any further information regarding the car. 991.1 has EPS which I didn’t want and 991.2 has Turbo downsized engines. 997.2 is the best of the post air cooled generation cars.
Did you check this car during your purchase? We’re there any issues to be concerned about?

Regards.
My reasons were similar to yours, in addition I also wanted a compact/classic looking car.

Yes, I checked the car during purchase which involved reviewing all the service history even before I saw the car, a brief test drive and dealer inspection. I was primarily relying on the seller interactions (a nice gentleman who disclosed upfront all the issues), availability of full paperwork including service history and dealer inspection which included a full diagnostic report and underbody check. I feel it's just too risky to buy a modern European car without checking the diagnostic report. My test drive was just a formality to get a feel for the car.

My experience with the car is very limited (duh), but I had done a lot of research before buying The biggest risk is the first gen PDK it comes with. There is no way to repair it and will have to be replaced even if the fault is a small temp sensor going kaput. Other than this, the car is very reliable overall. PDK in later models is improved but still a big risk factor.

Here is the list of issues with my car at the time of buying:

1. Owner disclosed that driver side power window was not working (seems to be a common complaint on 997 forums) and one rear tire was very old.

2. At the dealership, I was informed that front suspension mounts need to be replaced. I could hear faint suspension noise while going over speed humps so I agreed for the replacement but it was very faint noise. I suspect, these mounts go bad if you hit a speed breaker.

3. During first few days of usage, I found that the frunk struts are weak. They work alright but will need replacement in near future.

4. Good amount of rattles

I would suggest you include the following in your checklist:

1. 997.2 has dials to check engine temp, coolant temp, oil pressure = all three should settle down at half-way mark even on an extended spirited drive.

2. Check A/C in max fan speed with min/max temperatures. Old cars parked in the sun will have some disintegrated foam coming out of vents.

3. Check all lights including two central brake lights (2nd one part of spoiler)

4. Check the age, spec and health of the tires. It's very tough to get new tires in the market these days.

5. Car comes with two keys, secure wheel socket, tool kit, manuals, portable compressor, tire sealant, etc.

All the best

Last edited by androdev : 1st December 2020 at 20:28.
androdev is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 13:11   #72
BHPian

Hey Androdev,

That's one sick looking 911 you have got there. The 997.2 is my favorite 911 generation , infact my dream car is a 997.2 GT3 RS in black with red Accents.
I really like the brownish beige interior with the white exterior. Looks really nice.

Anyways ,I want to wish you happy miles on your Porsche.
Eshan Joshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 18:19   #73
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Androdev,

Absolute delight reading this thread. I wish you many happy and safe miles and hope to see you sometime cruising the streets of Bangalore.

You have inspired me to go and look out for a used 911. I absolutely adore them and reading your thread has given me the nudge I needed.
Fullrevs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 19:41   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshan Joshi View Post
I really like the brownish beige interior with the white exterior. Looks really nice.
Thank you. Very subjective, some might say beige doesn't suit a sports car but this colour combo is what I like the most about this car. I would have preferred the dash to have some black, that would have made it perfect. Full black or full red interiors were too much for an old guy like me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
You have inspired me to go and look out for a used 911. I absolutely adore them and reading your thread has given me the nudge I needed.
Just doing my job. Lol IMO, they have depreciated enough to warrant a serious consideration, especially for those who have run the course with grand touring type fast cars.
androdev is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 08:39   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Special moment today as I took the delivery of my 997.2 Base Carrera. Drive back home was an exhilarating experience. Ownership thread on the way.
Congratulations, our tribe in this forum is growing really fast (a 991.1 is also expected soon I think)! Wish you many years of happy ownership.

Quote:
The place where I stay doesn’t have high octane fuel.

Any expert opinion about using regular unleaded fuel vs octane booster like Proctane Evo?
The general consensus is that high octane fuel > octane booster > regular fuel.

My guess would be that this engine can manage with good quality regular unleaded fuel. I wouldn't worry about engine damage but smoothness, power and fuel efficiency would improve substantially with higher octane.

Here is what our base engine can deliver in real world with 97Speed (has a bit of city and fast-highway):
Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)-911fe.jpeg

See my post in another thread.
Quote:
It is anything but a noob question. Good quality low octane petrol has higher specific energy. Increase in octane rating is usually achieved by diluting specific energy. Purely from "energy density/energy per gram" point of view, higher octane fuel is inferior. Yes, it is an inferior fuel that can withstand higher compression. On the other hand, engines with higher compression ratio are better at extracting more energy from petrol. So you get the best bang for your buck when you find the optimum combination of specific energy and engine compression.

Putting higher octane fuel in standard engines may result in poor fuel efficiency, but might feel a bit smoother due to absence of any knocking.

Putting lower octane fuel in high compression engines will result in knocking, but ECU will alter a bunch of parameters (ignition timing and air/fuel mixtures, etc.) that will make the engine do poorly in terms of performance, smoothness and fuel efficiency. This is done to protect the engine from damage and I think they do a fairly good job.

Then there is the big question of how higher octane rating is achieved, how much energy dilution is taking place? Octane can be boosted by adding stuff that has no energy.
androdev is online now   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks