Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2021, 21:05   #91
BANNED

Re: Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
The service history is kosher, it got a brand new PDK 2 years back.
Did look at a 2011 Carrera S and the PDK of that too was changed a couple of years ago. Looks like the life of the PDK is around 8-10 years.

Quote:
There is some advantage in getting such a car in your 40s..
True. And it becomes better when one avoids looking at the past history after buying a car. The single most expensive component is the PDK and since that’s taken care off, there can’t be major shocks to the bank account for now.
EV NXT is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 22:46   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV NXT View Post
Did look at a 2011 Carrera S and the PDK of that too was changed a couple of years ago. Looks like the life of the PDK is around 8-10 years.
PDK + 997 story is a bit like Polo DSG. It bring a lot of joy but it is also a ticking time bomb. I made a conscious decision to face the consequences of any potential PDK failure. The rebellious vibes of brinkmanship to push the PDK to the limit knowing the consequences heightens the joy of driving this car. Rewards are always proportional to risks.

There is also the possibility that the new replacement PDK in my car has benefited from the updates that Porsche must have incorporated over the years. Similar to how recent DSGs are somewhat more reliable compared to earlier ones.

The outlook is not so bleak - in the last few months there has been a huge breakthrough in repairability of this PDK - lot of success stories compared to earlier "replace-only" disasters. If you are interested, you can google for Guide to repairing PDK rennlist forum. It is a 50 page long discussion but only last few pages have the posts related to recent success stories. It pertains to a third party company successfully developing the displacement sensor that makes it possible to repair the PDK in many cases.
androdev is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 10:03   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Got the car back from service.

Attachment 2230738

Attachment 2230737
The red 993 carrera cabrio looks super hot & well maintained too
Yet to see one in person in India & also dream to drive it someday
123.rishabh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 17:49   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123.rishabh View Post
The red 993 carrera cabrio looks super hot & well maintained too
Yet to see one in person in India & also dream to drive it someday
I was lucky enough to see 993, 997, 991 and 992 in the service facility that day. Obviously I spent most of my time checking out the 993. Thankfully it was a Tiptronic. Had it been a manual, I probably would have felt maximum neighbour's envy

Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)-interior.jpeg

Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)-rear.jpeg

Last edited by ajmat : 13th November 2021 at 09:47. Reason: Removing VIN details for privacy reasons
androdev is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 09:45   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I was planning to go home after dropping the car but I hung around as I was promised delivery in about four hours. I spotted this lovely red 993 (LHD import) that has come for service - couldn't resist asking the staff if it was for sale ;-)
Belongs to Rajiv CHandrashekhar. Guess he is too busy in Delhi now
ajmat is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 10:35   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Children's day outing

Hum chaar hamare ek!
Call it novelty factor or genuine enthusiasm to enjoy a sports car, the car is used as a four-seater quite regularly. Have done few drives with elderly folks and it's the hard suspension and bad roads of Bangalore that gets them. Surprisingly getting in/out has not been a big issue.

Lovely Bangalore weather with its quintessential sights of a leisurely Sunday drive:

Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)-bikes.jpeg

Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)-sheep.jpeg

I am too shy to park in the lobby/prominent areas and prefer to use the parking lot. As a car enthusiast, I always bought cars way above my pay grade and consequently I wanted to avoid being spotted by my managers and uncles with PhD in financial planning. Old habits die hard.

Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)-lambo.jpeg

Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)-parking.jpeg

Of course, no drive is complete without suffering an underbody knock by taking a holy dip into the pothole ridden Bangalore roads.

Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)-mud.jpeg

Last edited by androdev : 15th November 2021 at 10:40.
androdev is offline   (80) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 04:52   #97
Team-BHP Support

Read this thread from start to finish. What a gorgeous car, and perfect writeup to go with it. Thanks a lot for sharing your experience, and hats off for your perseverance to go after your dreams rather than fall into the cookie cutter existence a lot of us are into.
benbsb29 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 12:55   #98
BHPian

Thanks for sharing your experiences!
Two things of note:
1. Service costs are super reasonable in my opinion, changing the oil by yourself would have more than halved the bill.
2. The fuel efficiency isn't bad at all.
ads295 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 02:12   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I can do intergalactic travels with just a towel.
Androdev, I do love your thread(s), and they are a joy, but this single line really elevates the entire endeavour to a different plane altogether.

It's a bit like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick.
v1p3r is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 15:28   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
..but this single line really elevates the entire endeavour to a different plane altogether..
Thanks @v1p3r, I will consider your comment as a valid invitation to expand on the towel reference :-)

Quote:
A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value - you can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a mini raft down the slow heavy river Moth; wet it for use in hand-to- hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or to avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mindboggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you - daft as a bush, but very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.

More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: non-hitch hiker) discovers that a hitch hiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, face flannel, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitch hiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitch hiker might accidentally have "lost". What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is is clearly a man to be reckoned with.

― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
androdev is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 21:18   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
What are your plans for servicing the car? Will you be sending it to the Porsche A.S.S or places like Race Tech. Please please please keep this thread alive with the subsequent ownership experience and related costs.
Any feedback on RaceTech ? I have an old Cayenne and planning to service the brakes. Should I go for A.S.C or Racetech or some other FNG ?
prashant007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 22:44   #102
BANNED

Quote:
Lovely Bangalore weather with its quintessential sights of a leisurely Sunday drive:

Attachment 2232724

Attachment 2232727
Lol, Androdev! Looks like you spotted the Dominar Club on their way back home after breakfast at Tribal Cafe, Nandi Hills. I was a part of their pack - on my Suzuki, mind you! - and I did happen to see a couple of Porsches heading in the opposite direction. One of 'em was yellow. Little did I know that it was a TBHP-ian!

Small world out there!

Last edited by TheHelix0202 : 21st November 2021 at 22:46.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 18:24   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

The battery was not holding sufficient juice even though it is regularly charged. Frunk (front hood) can't be opened if the battery is dead. Since the battery itself is inside the frunk, it is not possible to jump start it without opening the frunk. There is some German voodoo procedure to open the frunk to gain access to the battery. Decided to replace the battery without further delay.

The previous owner has installed an Exide flooded battery. I don't think it is of the correct capacity either. I checked with Porsche about replacement battery stock (high hopes, didn't even get a reply) and then did some online research to find that OEM part is 80Ah CCA 800A spec with 315x175x190 dimensions.

I decided to buy an AGM battery as my experience with them has been very good. I checked with the Mercedes dealer as this battery is the OEM part for E-Class, they were not very helpful and also quoted Rs 42K for the battery. I finally managed to buy a Varta AGM battery from a Delhi dealer Bieco Batteries and got it shipped to BLR for Rs 27.2K (highly recommended, I posted my experience here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post5238445 (Buying Varta AGM Batteries for German luxury cars (Mercedes, BMW, Audi)))

Even though this is a fairly simple car compared to a modern BMW (which turned battery replacement into rocket science), I wanted to supply 12V power to the car while the battery was being replaced. This would ensure there won't be any warning, loss of settings etc. Used jumper cables to hook up a 12V source from another car battery (similar to jump-start). Note that jumper cable clamps should not interfere with main battery clamp removal/reinstall.

Image showing jumper cables connected before removing the battery:

Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)-02jumpercables.jpeg

The battery is not that easily accessible from outside the car and one needs to stand 'inside' the frunk for better ergonomics. Batteries are heavy, one must be careful not to get hurt.

Battery tray (ouch to see the condition!) with holes to accommodate batteries of different lengths (current Exide is 278mm, replacement Varta is 315mm, it can accommodate upto 353mm):

Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)-03batterytray.jpeg

New battery in place:

Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)-04newbattery.jpeg

T Spanner (13mm socket) to remove/fix the retaining clamp bolt:

Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)-05tspanner.jpeg

Meanwhile I procured some OEM Octane booster additives in case there is a post-COVID world in future :-)

Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)-06octanebooster.jpeg
Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)-07octanebooster2.jpeg

The most exciting way to buy milk and eggs:

Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)-08parked.jpeg

Last edited by androdev : 26th January 2022 at 18:30.
androdev is offline   (87) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 11:21   #104
BHPian

Congratulations on "charged up" Porsche!
That vodoo procedure to access battery almost made me laugh. I had to go through same ordeal. I was going to be out of town for long and decided after discussions that it is best to disconnect the battery if planning to be not using for long (my relative in same complex refused to drive the car every week to charge it up, he does not want to "deal" with complicated Audis, how insulting!).

Nevertheless, the battery is in trunk which is not manually operated, only power lever. We disconnected the battery in the back and realized we forgot to lock one of the doors, which again can be only only power locked (silly me). Had to call jump start service to lock the car and go on work from anywhere out of town.

And when back -you guessed it- need to call jump start service again to first unlock the car, unlock the boot and then connect the battery again. It did help that our complex had started jumpstart services after too many dead batteries in resident's cars!

After connecting the battery, the car "forgot" to re-align power side mirrors. Took one day for the ECU to recall that somehow!

And my other car, it still rings bogus anti-theft sirens even today after that horrible battery disconnection and re-connection!

Last edited by OffRoadFun : 27th January 2022 at 11:35.
OffRoadFun is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 12:39   #105
BHPian

Quote:
The battery was not holding sufficient juice even though it is regularly charged. Frunk (front hood) can't be opened if the battery is dead. Since the battery itself is inside the frunk, it is not possible to jump start it without opening the frunk. There is some German voodoo procedure to open the frunk to gain access to the battery. Decided to replace the battery without further delay.
This happened to me many years ago & I had no clue of the implications of a dead battery until it happened and I couldn't access the frunk. That was the only time I cursed Porsche to not have a manual override for front boot. I used the fuse box near the footwell to jump start. After that I never let my battery go dead.

Quote:
The previous owner has installed an Exide flooded battery. I don't think it is of the correct capacity either. I checked with Porsche about replacement battery stock (high hopes, didn't even get a reply) and then did some online research to find that OEM part is 80Ah CCA 800A spec with 315x175x190 dimensions.

I decided to buy an AGM battery as my experience with them has been very good. I checked with the Mercedes dealer as this battery is the OEM part for E-Class, they were not very helpful and also quoted Rs 42K for the battery. I finally managed to buy a Varta AGM battery from a Delhi dealer Bieco Batteries and got it shipped to BLR for Rs 27.2K (highly recommended, I posted my experience here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post5238445 (Buying Varta AGM Batteries for German luxury cars (Mercedes, BMW, Audi)))
I changed to a standard exide battery of recommended Ah capacity twice & never had a problem. Costed me around 5k. In fact the previous battery last for more than 6 years!

Good to hear your updates. Godspeed.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dante : 28th January 2022 at 12:46.
Dante is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed