Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2020, 18:19   #16
BHPian

re: Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)

Beautiful thread. Wonderful write up. Congratulations on the classic 911.
I must say, very few cars can make a 'S' badge jealous.

Bang on regarding low seating experience. It's dangerously low on these cars. I have driven a Gallardo and a Ferrari California quite a while ago for a short duration. Though I am quite lean and fit, I struggled a bit to come out as it caught me unprepared.

Please keep the thread alive.
abhi_tjet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 19:43   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)

Andro,

I have followed your S-Class ownership report regularly and loved the way you bring your reviews to the table. So seeing you acquire this beautiful Porsche made me smile.

A Porsche 911 is the best way to enter the sports car club. Whether it is a Carrera, Carrera S or Turbo doesn't matter. And the 997 is surely a modern classic today with old school touches. I used a 997 Turbo for a few days back in 2013 and love how friendly and useable theses 911s are. And this is despite the fact that I am a Ferrari person.

I love the fact that the previous owner got just the right add-ons from the options list and that itself will make for a delightful ownership. It is quite an amazing feeling when you get a push from that rear mounted engine.

My advice to you would be to use the car as often as possible. Try to alternate this with your other cars while driving to work and back. Thats the beauty of a 911. It will keep the car healthy too.

Wish you many happy miles with this car and looking forward to your updates.
Dippy is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 19:54   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)

Oh my God, what a beautiful car, Androdev! You are living the dream. And what a write-up too. The wit had me

Your car looks stunning. Because of the 911's evolutionary styling, it looks super modern even today. They are apparently very reliable and are used as daily drivers by many owners. I sure hope you take her out for a long highway run & let us drive it through your words.

Your 911 is going to our homepage tomorrow. Thread moved to the Supercars section. All of us hope to have our own ownership report in this forum section one day .

Wishing you many smiles, grins & memories with this legendary machine.

Last edited by GTO : 10th September 2020 at 20:32.
GTO is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 22:51   #19
BHPian

Congratulation sir. Wish you many happy miles
Also nice write up and I must say vivid list of cars to choose from.

By any chance, is the CH car with 911 plates?
mayurhuria is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 23:27   #20
BHPian

I'm not sure what I appreciate more, your raconteur skills or your photography skills. Buttering aside, I think you've got the perfect 911. I've seen your car quite a few times in the Lavelle Road area, and I'm extremely grateful that it wasn't being driven like all the cars in that area.

I hope you have a great time with this car, you couldn't have asked for a more fitting foil to your W221.
AbelAFC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 00:32   #21
BHPian

Congratulations again Androdev. I was eagerly waiting for your review. I saw that you posted it during the day and was waiting to get done with work, so I could sit and read it nicely, which I just did. This generation of Porsche is just perfect. It's modern enough but also has some of those old school traits that we all love. I'm sure you won't regret not getting a 991 (which is also a great car but this is better ). Really love the spec of your car (especially the sports exhaust) and it looks amazing!
Naman_Ferrari is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 09:02   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Some pics from the Porsche service centre I visited to get the car inspected:
Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)-coffee.jpeg

A car that came for service. Yes you are seeing it right - that's the ground clearance!
Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)-front.jpeg
Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)-rear.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Awesome car, nice write-up. Are you planning to take it on a track?
They might not allow a beige interior car on a track, ha ha! I am hopeful it will see a lot of scenic country roads first. Beyond that, anything would be a bonus.

Quote:
(P. S - Have a cookie for including Sound of Silence)
Recently I heard my son singing it and I thought not bad good music lives on. He said he had no clue about the song, apparently it's a popular meme now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I didn't find the ride quality that harsh - but then again, with the S in the garage I can see where you're coming from..
Yeah, I think it depends on what you compare it with. It would be considered a good ride in sports category I suppose. This is a new territory for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I was able to relate to some of the things you mention here with my humble GTI. The joy some of these cars bring to us car nuts is really priceless.
I agree, the contrast with family car makes both cars even better. It's like switching between hot and cold shower - heightens the perceptions.
Quote:
We want more details buddy - Engine specs, ketna deti hai etc...
Will do sir - feelings first, facts later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
Well, I quite well recollect a thread where someone went out to buy a X1 and came home with S class!
Oh, the internet never forgets! I feel I have shown some restraint this time. Yes, I think I have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
What are your plans for servicing the car? Will you be sending it to the Porsche A.S.S or places like Race Tech. Please please please keep this thread alive with the subsequent ownership experience and related costs.
It has been maintained at A.S.S all through out and I hope to continue with them. I heard great things about Race Tech as well. I will surely be updating this thread with ownership and maintenance details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Though it really is odd that an expat bought a Porsche in India!!!, unless ofcourse he comes from a place where cars are way more expensive than India. Thought most expats wouldn't dare to go beyond Corolla/CRV, and would rather be chauffeured in an Innova than drive on our roads.
Your observation is spot on about majority of the expats in Bangalore. However I noticed many of them do enjoy the freedom+chaos of riding Bullets and Acitvas here for occasional fun. Cars not so much. This surely was an exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
Bang on regarding low seating experience. It's dangerously low on these cars. I have driven a Gallardo and a Ferrari California quite a while ago for a short duration. Though I am quite lean and fit, I struggled a bit to come out as it caught me unprepared.
Yeah, it's almost like playing a prank on someone, adds to the drama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
My advice to you would be to use the car as often as possible. Try to alternate this with your other cars while driving to work and back. Thats the beauty of a 911. It will keep the car healthy too.
Thanks Dippy. I agree with you and my criteria to choose this particular car over others was to focus on everyday use and long drives more than anything else. Just getting adjusted to the stares within the city - wasn't expecting much for an old car like this but it happens. Looking forward to drive out of the town as soon as things get normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Your 911 is going to our homepage tomorrow.
Thanks GTO. Tomorrow (today as I write it) is 9/11! @iliketurtles told me about it and that I should have posted this thread a day later on 9/11. I have much to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbelAFC View Post
I've seen your car quite a few times in the Lavelle Road area, and I'm extremely grateful that it wasn't being driven like all the cars in that area.
Yes, he was a thorough gentleman and took care of this car very well. I see that you are an Arsenal fan - what are you doing to cope with that? I am a Barca fan and all the 911s in the world won't be able to help me deal with the depression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naman_Ferrari View Post
Congratulations again Androdev. I was eagerly waiting for your review. I saw that you posted it during the day and was waiting to get done with work, so I could sit and read it nicely, which I just did. This generation of Porsche is just perfect. It's modern enough but also has some of those old school traits that we all love. I'm sure you won't regret not getting a 991 (which is also a great car but this is better ). Really love the spec of your car (especially the sports exhaust) and it looks amazing!
Thanks Naman. Pioneers get the arrows, settlers get the land. You are the pioneer, leader of the pack, so to say. We want to learn from your mistakes. Lol. Just kidding.

Last edited by androdev : 11th September 2020 at 09:18.
androdev is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 11:18   #23
BHPian

Many congratulations on the new ride.
Im sure you will love the engine note of the NA flat 6 and wishing you many more happy miles on this.
Just to confirm, this model came with a 3.6L DFI engine with 345 PS right ?
123.rishabh is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 11:34   #24
BHPian

This piece is so engrossing because of your writing and of course the Porsche. Liked how you were very clear in what you were looking for. I'm going to be reading the other posts started by you on this forum.
SPB_drives is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 12:04   #25
sgm
BHPian

Congrats androdev.

What a car and what an interesting review. Enjoyed every bit of it

With the mighty S and a 911 in your garage, you have addressed both the ends of the spectrum of extreme comfort/elegance and super fun.
sgm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 12:19   #26
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations for the gorgeous 997.2, androdev.

The interiors look beautiful and this 911 sits so pretty with the W221 S350. What an envious garage !

Glad that this car comes with the PDK, chrono package, sports exhaust and launch control options ticked from the factory.

Any plans to retrofit a minimalist ducktail spoiler like this?

Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)-porsche911997sportsclassic.jpg

Pic Courtesy: Porsche 911 Sport Classic
//M is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 12:40   #27
BHPian

Congratulations! Your post is nudging me to write about my in-line 6 monster.

Quote:
There is no objective way to answer this. Each newer generation of 911 lost a bit of soul in order to survive and stay relevant. I feel the time around 2010 was a turning point for the automobile industry. Things we consider essential to the fun of driving have matured - engine, transmission, chassis, safety, etc. Subsequent years focused on emissions, digital technology, convenience features, lights, etc.
I am glad you understand this. As you mentioned, we are entering a time where cars are thought of as utilitarian commodities to appeal to the masses and the common denominator, even by the enthusiast catering brands from Germany.

997.2 will always remain one of my favorites daily drive sports cars of all time. However, '04 911 turbo will remain on the top of my list for the way it feels.

Last edited by shree_shell : 11th September 2020 at 12:41.
shree_shell is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 13:38   #28
Senior - BHPian

There was once an enthusiast who said all of this:

Quote:
Porsche has serious issues related to pricing and value proposition in India - I can write a book on this

The extra premium you pay vs the value you get compared to Mercedes/BMW/Audi alternatives is simply unjustifiable.

Take their more accessible 1cr cars for example: they come with 2.0L engines and poverty spec interiors.

I do not mean to offend any current owners but interiors and the drive in their entry level 2.0L cars felt like a badge engineered VW (not even Audi).

One has to be so enamoured with the Porsche badge to overlook everything else in the market - too many disappointed customers putting their 2.0L 718 Boxster/Cayman on resale.

The exterior designs are absolutely smashing, but the feel good factor ends right there.

the standard cars from big-3 will always feel like a better place to be in.

the overdose of technology and gadgetry in cars where Porsche is one generation behind.

Very limited network. Very expensive - Very slow - ..AMG range feels like a Toyota

Porsche should first get their value proposition right in India

and then went out and bought a Porsche..

Congratulations! That was a worthy bullet to have bitten.
AMG Power is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 14:22   #29
BHPian

First of all, congrats on purchase of the beauty.
Great narration.
If you don't mind, can you please mention how much does that cost for you?
Will be waiting for your further updates along with an answer to "Kitna deti hai": :P
Sorry I should not ask that question for this car. But still, Indian mindset props up.

Last edited by coolmind : 11th September 2020 at 14:24.
coolmind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 14:32   #30
BHPian

What a peach of a car, and one of the best 911's to own.

Hope you enjoy many many happy miles in your new baby.
keroo1099 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed