Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2007, 02:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

My Golf Gti Type-I.

At the risk of sounding pompous, I present the Inimitable 1982 Golf GTi Type-I or MK-I. The new entrant to my four wheeled family
I just had to share it with you guys as I am so, so excited at this purchase.
I have been trailing this Giugiaro designed beauty for many a days, trailing the owner quoting an exhorbidant fixed price on this. (it seemed exhorbidant but actually was a steal even then, but we Hindustanis are a breed apart. I think its us who invented Bargaining!!)
This evening I was returning from the Airport, after seeing someone off, I got a call from my friend informing me, that the guy who had it for sale is in urgent need of money, as in, needs the dough yesterday. Bus, phir kya tha? The "Matlabi" streak in me kicked in and the deal was finalysed. It took precisely 10 minutes for the whole episode and within thirty five minute's driving time, my beauty was in standing in my driveway.

(P.S.: My dad's comments will be dealt with tomorrow when he finds out)
It needs a little work but I'm excited, as a kid would be, with a new toy so am posting some pics. As and when the work gets done, ill be updating this thread.... as usual.
I plan to enter her in the vintage & classic car rally this Sunday, if I can get the work done by then.

The Golf was THE Car of the 70s & 80s. Despite its extreme youth its as much a classic as say a Ferrari.
Now for the pics:

The Mk-I Golf designed by Ital Design was a neat, roomy hatchback. Found this original Hot Hatch parked on the road and it was love at first sight

A little stiff negotiation and 45 minutes later it was in my driveway.

The GTi suspension was a tad lower and firmer than the standard Golf's. With wider tyres and wheels, the front discs were ventilated with drums at the rear.
Need to loose some of the Decals and excessive use of radium tape

The Steering and the Speedo. Needs through cleaning.

Putting her through the corners on the first drive out. The pedigree shows and how! She hugs the road like a lover. No fishtailing, nothing.

The Console which has slots for 3 meters. Theres only one meter in this car. Will get and fix the other two.

My mechanic took it for a drive to test her out. Looking good in the dark

Last edited by V-16 : 11th April 2007 at 02:58. Reason: correction
V-16 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th April 2007, 02:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the latest addition your collection. Im sure shell be absolutely STUNNING with a little work.

I think we should rename you 'Sultan of Dadar' looking at the way you collect cars.
Old 11th April 2007, 02:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats, Gogi! That's a beauty! The dash is just oh-so-German! I assume this is the original 110 bhp 1.6 that started the hot-hatch genre...can't wait to hear a driving review!
Old 11th April 2007, 03:02   #4
BHPian

WoW!! What a beauty. I luv these Golf's sooooo much. Congrats V-16 you are a lucky dude!!
Old 11th April 2007, 03:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Congrats, Gogi! That's a beauty! The dash is just oh-so-German! I assume this is the original 110 bhp 1.6 that started the hot-hatch genre...can't wait to hear a driving review!
Thanks Akshay, Khanak, Navin. The previous owner did'nt have an idea what he had in his hands, guess thats why I could get him to get rid of it (to me-to me). He said it was a i.6 but I think its a 1.8 coz from 76 to 82, the GTi came with a four speed which was upgraded to a five speed with a 1.8 lt engine in 82. My cars got a 5 speed so im guessing its a 1.8. Even the r/c books got a posting of either 1600cc or 1800cc, cant tell it could be any The damn figure looks like a 6 as well as an 8. But if the 1.6 came with a 5 speed then i dont know.
Its hitting the garage tomorrow and should be out in a day or two. Then you'll have a full on report i promise you
@ Khanak - a bankrupt Sultan...

Last edited by V-16 : 11th April 2007 at 03:13. Reason: add
Old 11th April 2007, 03:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

The 1982 Golfs also came with a multi-function trip computer. If you have that, it's almost certain to be a 1.8. I'm sure the VIN plate will tell you as well.

A Sultan is a Sultan, Gogi!
Old 11th April 2007, 06:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

In one word: AWESOME!!!!

I love this car, its a nippy and fun to drive car along with the oomph necessary. Great find. Preserve it.
Old 11th April 2007, 08:36   #8
BANNED

Gogi,

Excellent choice buddy. We used to have 1981 Golf Gld(diesel) which seved us very well for about 6 years till my brother smashed it 1989. It ended up being sold as scrap for about Rs1lac.

Have very fond memories of the car as it was the one I learnt my driving on.

Viper
Old 11th April 2007, 08:51   #9
Team-BHP Support

It is a 1.8. Looks like it has done very few miles - 24000+ only. Wiper blades look too small but oh boy, I envy you!!!! Brakes are pathetic though since the linkage from the brake cylinder for right hand drive is problematic.
Old 11th April 2007, 08:54   #10
Team-BHP Support

Nice very nice. the instruments look very similar to a 118NE. really nice with the colour LED's.

The blaupunkt system fits well in the dash and doesnt look out of place.

ps: Are you planning on keeping the playboy sticker?
Old 11th April 2007, 09:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

So its moved at last. Have seen it scores of time parked at Santacruz.
Nice car and nice buy.
Old 11th April 2007, 09:44   #12
Team-BHP Support

Nice choice of car Gogi. The car looks to be in good condition considering its age. Have fun with it.
Old 11th April 2007, 09:53   #13
Team-BHP Support

Darn, someone's on a buying spree! Looks like you have the makings of the ideal autocross car here!
Old 11th April 2007, 09:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

Awesome, Man! Congrats on the great acquisition. The Golf is my fave car and man-oh-man, you've got a GTi. Enjoyyyyy.

And do put up a driving impression for us less lucky folks
Old 11th April 2007, 09:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

Man you are one lucky guy!! Congratulations. It is an amazing car, a true European hottie. But, since you are the current owner I guess she gets hotter pretty soon. Have fun my friend, have fun

Most Viewed