Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2021, 18:35   #1
BHPian

Look but don’t touch : Supercars that have never been driven

Look but Don’t Touch: Supercars That Have Barely Been Driven https://nyti.ms/3nY8fMO

I am sure that there are countless examples even in India.

Quote:
Supercars hold their value better the less you play with them, much like collectible children’s toys that are worth more when sealed inside the original packaging. But what’s the fun in that?

On sale in Montreal for $622,000, a 1990 Lamborghini Countach 25th Anniversary model looks brand-new. In effect, it is, with the plastic still on the seats. Over 30 years, it has covered only 83 miles. Powered by a 455-horsepower V-12 and capable of 190 miles an hour, the car has almost never moved under its own power.

The car went through several owners — none who drove it any distance — before it was returned to its original home, said Bernard Durand, who has been in sales at Lamborghini Montréal for 30 years.
Look but don’t touch : Supercars that have never been driven-31wheels2jumbo.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 3rd January 2021 at 09:37. Reason: Adding image & an excerpt :). Thanks for sharing
Sree is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 18:42   #2
BHPian

re: Look but don’t touch : Supercars that have never been driven

I think people who own classics/collector type cars are the best examples. These cars just stay parked in their garages for years together and are kept only for display.

I would love to own a garage like that someday.
Old 2nd January 2021, 18:55   #3
BHPian

“Letting cars sit is the worst thing you can do,” said Jay Leno
This quote was in the link and i would stand by it.

There is not point in storing cars in personal garages irrespective of how exclusive they are.
A Manufacturer parking cars in their museum would be fine since we will atleast be able to see those years later.
prajnya is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 06:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Most of the supercars that are just stacked away in garages abroad are done so with the intent of reselling for a profit in the future. There's no use in doing that in India as supercars don't appreciate in value here, no matter how rare they are.
Anand123 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 17:45   #5
BHPian

Re: Look but don’t touch : Supercars that have never been driven

I just don't get it. These cars are meant to be driven. At least for a little bit.

There exists a category of people who buy stuff and never use it. Some because they're waiting for some special occasion, and the other because it would hold it's value better if/when they eventually resell it.

Just the other day I happened to watch a video about Nardi steering wheels, and there was this person who wouldn't scratch a card and verify that the steering wheel he just bought is authentic because the unscratched card would hold its value better.
voldemort is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 19:30   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I echo the sentiments above. I don't believe in the idea of garage queens and feel every car is to be driven, and driven hard. I take my cars practically everywhere, whether they are new or old, and cheap or expensive.

Equally, I have learnt to accept the other side (guess that's what age does to you ). Have more & more become a believer of the "to each his own" philosophy. Some people might not be fans of driving, but they could be of art. And what better art form than a supercar like the Countach . Could stare at one all day, for the rest of my life. Far better than a Picasso on the wall IMHO.
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 19:48   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I echo the sentiments above. I don't believe in the idea of garage queens and feel every car is to be driven, and driven hard. I take my cars practically everywhere, whether they are new or old, and cheap or expensive.

Equally, I have learnt to accept the other side (guess that's what age does to you ). Have more & more become a believer of the "to each his own" philosophy. Some people might not be fans of driving, but they could be of art. And what better art form than a supercar like the Countach . Could stare at one all day, for the rest of my life. Far better than a Picasso on the wall IMHO.
Know some thing else that's better than a Picasso on the wall. Its a Pagani on the wall!!!

Look but don’t touch : Supercars that have never been driven-paganizondawallart.jpg
nakul0888 is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 20:57   #8
BHPian

Even I don’t understand why anyone would spend so much money on vehicles that’ll never be driven. Having said that, I buy lots of books and games that I’ll never read or play, so maybe the billionaires of the world have a similar take on cars. For some, these are just collector’s items. I don’t even think most of these are bought to be sold at a higher value — it seems as if they’re bought just because some of these cars are a status symbol.

Slightly off-topic but I don’t understand how that Pagani has been hung on the wall like that. Does it not damage the car to be bolted to a pole at an unnatural angle?
Crow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 22:43   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
Slightly off-topic but I don’t understand how that Pagani has been hung on the wall like that. Does it not damage the car to be bolted to a pole at an unnatural angle?
That's not an actual car: it's a shell (the exterior body panels) with no internals.
meta is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 09:47   #10
BHPian

I wouldn't call such collectors automobile lovers. IMO any vehicle needs to be nurtured ,cherished and driven to the farthest extent possible. For the same reason I frown upon people who won't remove the plastic seat covers in new cars!

The very first vehicle I ever purchased with my own money was a Royal Enfield. I rode to my hearts content. Eventually I upgraded to a Wagon R. Every morning as I went to work, it tore my heart to see my bullet standing there, looking sad and unused. Eventually I realised she had started to drip oil. It broke my heart but I sold her. To see her deterioriate in front of my eyes was a sin. However I did make sure the new owner would take care of her and cherish her just as I had.
RedTerrano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 18:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

There are some interesting people quoted in this article.
v1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 11:23   #12
BHPian

There’s a parallel with watches too. Many buy that Patek or Rolex to just put it away in a locker, replete with that tag and all, so that it can be sold later at a profit.
Old 17th January 2021, 11:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

I understand the sentiment behind keeping supercars as original as possible and protecting them. But 83 miles in 30 years? That is super low. I assumed these cars would be cars being driven in supercar meetups, tracks, or dragstrips to average at least 100-200 miles a year.

For a work of art, people with deep pockets can also buy legendary paintings, works of crystal, or exclusive stuff like Fabergé eggs. Wonder what's the rationale of buying a car and not using it?
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 11:31   #14
BANNED

I usually have a different take on most topics but this one is too black and white kind of deal for me, hence I agree with all the above ideas. As Jay Leno said about people who brag about their low mile Ferrari ,and I quote " Is your wife a virgin too? ". I wish that these collectors atleast kept their collection in museums so that atleast car nerds could gawk and be inspired by them instead of hoarding them in private collection where they are traded in secrecy, never to see the light of day.
Nikhildrao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 11:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

Apart from considering them as an investment and expecting to sell them at a huge profit in the future the other important thing for many owners will be the running cost.

Using a Bugatti Veyron/Chiron on a regular basis can easily cost you close $70k to $100k annually in just tyre/oil and fuel bill (100 octane) any part replacement will be a even bigger hole in the pocket and also a high mileage car will fetch you lesser value when sold. And among hyper cars a Bugatti would be more reliable mechanically not sure about the other brands which will definitely have a higher repair bill.

But, in the end of the day cars are designed and built to be driven so even a low mileage car which has spent most of its life in a proper storage will attract a good amount of money to get road worthy again as compared to a well maintained high mileage car if the new owner decides to use it more often.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 17th January 2021 at 12:38. Reason: edited: Whole to hole
SnS_12 is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks