Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2021, 08:50   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Vijay Mallya's erstwhile car collection

You can view his Mercedes 500SEC here
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vinta...ml#post4434795 (Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India)

He also has "1000SEL", a stretched W126 proceed for his 1st wedding, a plain vanilla W126 500SEL, used to have a BMW 728i. All these sit in an enclosed area in UB City and come out for a quick spin once in a while.
ajmat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 12:27   #17
BHPian

The CLK GTR Roadster is still in his possession and still wearing the VJM 001 number plates.

The car was ordered new by the infamous Sultan of Brunei, who never took delivery of it and instead it was snapped up by Mallya. To this day, VJM 001 remains in his ownership and is maintained by the folks over at DK Engineering based in Chorleywood just outside London. In fact, they did a Christmas video where the car was used as Santa’s ‘sled’.
Taronish_E is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 13:21   #18
MSJ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
Also any clue what rides he uses these days over there ?
AFAIK, He mostly uses his Maybach 62, Rolls Royce Phantom, And Range Rover Autobiography.

Here's a Photo Of the CLK GTR Roadster along with Lamborghini Countach.

Pic Credit:- https://www.instagram.com/p/BYwH9a8lYeO/

Also Found a Video Of the Same on Youtube.
Attached Thumbnails
Vijay Mallya's erstwhile car collection-21433767_1801296099897859_4392607940045963264_n.jpg  

MSJ is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 14:07   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJ View Post
Here's a Photo Of the CLK GTR Roadster along with Lamborghini Countach.
Thanks for sharing. Couldn't help noticing the registration changed from 'VJM 1" to "0003 VJM". Maybe due to loss in wealth?

Vijay Mallya's erstwhile car collection-screenshot-20210413-2.04.48-pm.png
Foxbat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 15:49   #20
Senior - BHPian

Although I can't find it right now, I believe he and Siddharth M. also had 2 Aventadors. I'm pretty sure it's theirs because I've seen them in UB Mall back in 2013-14 and a Facebook video of them driving.
And my god that CLK GTR! That wing is enough to make me go weak in the knees. Love how well the guy knows his cars and isn't just buying cars for the sake of buying.
akash_v12 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 09:48   #21
BHPian

Awesome thread!

Can't help but think about the fact that a good percentage of these cars are yet in the hands of Indian government authorities. Looks like due to the sheer size of his collection most of these cars ended up being in mint low mileage condition. Most of these cars would make some great deals!
Old 14th April 2021, 10:05   #22
BHPian

This guy could have settled his debt just by selling off his cars I guess

That E Type made me drool, not gonna lie. Same with the CLK GTR Roadster. And how come he doesn't have some Bugattis in his arsenal. Or any modern Lambos(I don't consider the Countach modern).

He has quite great taste for old cars, but not for new ones apparently.

Cheers
OctYFAN
OctYFAN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 10:41   #23
BHPian

Each one is sweeter than the last! Great taste, kudos to the (ex) king of good times!
Now, how long before we see him riding in one of these
Attached Thumbnails
Vijay Mallya's erstwhile car collection-21921553449_cc7bd3763a_b.jpg  

Last edited by lemedico : 14th April 2021 at 10:42. Reason: grammer
lemedico is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 10:51   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJ View Post
Also Found a Video Of the Same on Youtube. https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=x03X...hannel=Staeldo
That sound when the engine fires up at 0:05 ! Simply priceless. By the way is the car a convertible or permanently roofless ? Only noticed it now since most CLK GTRs are seen with a proper roof.
Old 14th April 2021, 11:56   #25
BHPian

Not what I'd personally want, but I'm just a bum with 1 family car sitting here and judging someone else's exotics garage. Back to video games to drive my fantasy cars.

That's quite the collection though! Never figured VM for a car nut.

But I'm guessing by the choice of cars, most of these barely ever got driven, and were just garage adornments and car show beauty queens.

I wish I could get my hands on that Ferrari 328 GTS.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 14th April 2021 at 11:57.
Old 14th April 2021, 12:45   #26
BHPian

The real genius was Vittal Mallya. He stated buying shares in a then tiny and unknown company named UB as a teenager. By 24 he wrested management control becoming the Chairman and director. He was known as a philanthropic man, a teetotaler but a ruthless corporate raider. When in Aug 77 Moraji Desai promised total prohibition in India, mallya rather than react defensively, went on the attack and acquired many smaller breweries who were distress selling.

He died early at the age of 59 (was at a Cathay Pacific cocktail party when a massive stroke killed him) and was fighting a Corp battle for Spencers (the retail and hotel chain), if he had been around a decade or so longer, the group and Vijay Malya might have turned out differently.

Polar opposites they might have been, Vijay inherited his father's business genius, and exponentially expanded on his dad's business and made it a world beater.

The problem was in their personalities. Vittal was content to be the Howard Hughes of India. Ruthless but an intensely personal person, extremely parsimonious (UB didn't even have a full fledged Bombay office till his death, he preferred to operate out of the offices of his board members) was always away from the limelight. Vijay though wanted to be the Richard Branson of India, this lead him to start KF Airlines. The rest is history.
Stribog is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 13:03   #27
Senior - BHPian

Great collection. The E type is my most beautiful car too !

I heard him say once that as much as he is an enthusiast, his buying of cars and exotic items was more business and as investment.

Dont know what he saw in airlines because there was no one very successful with it. Was it more of a glamour thing where he could show off as fashion in sky
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 14:00   #28
BHPian

This guy had some taste!

For me it is the Ferrari 275 GTB, the Jaguar E-type, the Testarossa and the Ferrari 365 Cali Spyder (I want every one those redheads). It’s weird there weren’t any Astons in his collection considering his love for British engineering.

The CLK GTR is truly a Unicorn!
Old 14th April 2021, 16:32   #29
Senior - BHPian

I nonchalantly browse these celeb car garage threads (most boring being Ambani’s) but hot damn this guy has CLK-GTR! Take my respect regardless of business practices he’s involved in. Doesn’t just has (had?) money but truly seems to know cars.
Old 14th April 2021, 22:19   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Couldn't help noticing the registration changed from 'VJM 1" to "0003 VJM".
i really need better things to do but anyway, he uses VJM 1 on his daily, the RR iirc

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks