Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2021, 16:24   #16
BANNED

Re: Impounded Exotics & Supercars in India: Tales of drugs, fraud and murder

The atrocities committed by Mohammad Nisham both on humans and the cars are unforgiveable, he deserves two life sentences.
DarthVeda is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 16:36   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Correct, lets' be factual, the Ferrari was imported by the Surya Samudra Hotel, owned by Rajeev Chandrashekhar. I have seen him with this car. The DRI impounded the car in Bangalore. I believe that it was parked in the Income Tax office with one of his staff keeping an eye on it. All duties and penalties were paid swiftly, I guess!
Much later a Pune hotelier got a Lambo LP640 under the same scheme and continued to hold the Lambo on Yellow plates. The catch was that the car was Yellow and the owner got away by simply pasting the registration numbers in Black. That way no one assumed it to be a taxi.
moralfibre is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 19:26   #18
BHPian

This is illogical. What is the point of confiscating vehicles for tax fraud and then letting them rot and lose their value? Why not store them properly and then sell them after a short designated period of time like say 6 months? Go to any police station in India and you will see dozens of abandoned vehicles. Same story on the side of highways. We should make a law that any abandoned vehicle would be towed after say 6 hours and then put in a proper lot where you would be charged around 200 per day and after 30 days if the vehicle is not claimed, it would be auctioned. Similarly for vehicles involved in crimes, take photos and videos and dust for fingerprints and then either release or sell the vehicle. Why clog the roads outside the police stations? So many archaic laws and practices that linger from the 1800s.
Lobogris is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 19:32   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post

Rolls Royce Ghost, Porsche Panamera
Attachment 2116613
Image Source
Both these gems belonged to jewellery fraudster Nirav Modi. Luckily, unlike many cars in this thread, they were quickly auctioned off, rather than ending up in a sorry state.

Related Thread - Pics: Imports gathering dust in India
Nirav Modi's Ghost (the Rolls Royce, not his actual spirit) is alive and well (again, no pun intended) in Jodhpur with my in-laws side of the family. I had a chance to drive it in March and it drives great. And it is very well taken care of. It was parked in Mumbai humidity for a long time and it does have very minor cosmetic issues which are being fixed.
nitinsharma1000 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 20:02   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
This is illogical. What is the point of confiscating vehicles for tax fraud and then letting them rot and lose their value? Why not store them properly and then sell them after a short designated period of time like say 6 months?
Hi,

Totally agree. Why shouldn't the cops or law enable that those seized vehicles be sold off and atleast some part of the amount be recovered.

Quote:
Go to any police station in India and you will see dozens of abandoned vehicles. Same story on the side of highways.
Not only the Cars, but tons of bikes stacked up in the corners like no body cares. Its just a waste of space and tax payer money.

Quote:
We should make a law that any abandoned vehicle would be towed after say 6 hours and then put in a proper lot where you would be charged around 200 per day and after 30 days if the vehicle is not claimed, it would be auctioned.
Owners have to be made more accountable for abandoning vehicles, these are ticking environmental time bombs too.

Back in 2012, I did a project with Kotak Bank, Mumbai. A floor of the parking lot was dedicated to confiscated vehicles. Some were classics and expensive imports. Most of them were in deplorable conditions. We would just go down to look at, " whats newly added to that pile "

Laws need to change. At the end of the day, its the tax payer's money that's being wasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinsharma1000 View Post
Nirav Modi's Ghost (the Rolls Royce, not his actual spirit) is alive and well (again, no pun intended) in Jodhpur with my in-laws side of the family.
Hi Nitin,

Glad to know. You're the first person I know ( directly / indirectly ) who has bought a car from a car auction. Would like to connect with you on this.

I have heard that the Police Departments here ( In the US ) regularly hold such auctions.

Side note : I see you are also in Pittsburgh. Drop me a DM. Lets connect

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd April 2021 at 10:17. Reason: back to back posts merged
nikhilarni is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 21:58   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilarni View Post

Back in 2012, I did a project with Kotak Bank, Mumbai. A floor of the parking lot was dedicated to confiscated vehicles. Some were classics and expensive imports. Most of them were in deplorable conditions. We would just go down to look at, " whats newly added to that pile "
Was this at the BKC office or Goregaon office? I used to work at the Goregaon office at that time and I remember seeing a few confiscated vehicles on the bottom floor of the parking lot. Nothing too fancy just Q5s and 7 Series.
Foxbat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 22:15   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Was this at the BKC office or Goregaon office?
I only worked at their at their Goregaon location. They had a bigger parking space in the basement, where a few RRs and Bentley's were kept and a few other exotics. Bimmers, Benz's and JLRs were common sight as well.

Surprising to see so many people buyin g them and then defaulting on payments or how easy it is to use fraudulent money to buy them.

Looking at the state of the Z4 at Mira road police station, I'm guessing the cops are in cahoots with local scrap dealers to strip the cars off the major components.
nikhilarni is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 22:33   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi,

Totally agree. Why shouldn't the cops or law enable that those seized vehicles be sold off and atleast some part of the amount be recovered.

Not only the Cars, but tons of bikes stacked up in the corners like no body cares. Its just a waste of space and tax payer money.

Owners have to be made more accountable for abandoning vehicles, these are ticking environmental time bombs too.
There are two factors

1: Motivation of the government to recoup the money.

Our government are more keen on the prosecution and not the recovery of duties etc. These are technically civil cases so they dont really go after the owners for criminal fraud so the cars rot away.

In Nirav Modi's case, the banks were motivated and had a strong case.

2: Judicial Bureaucracy

Nirav Modi's case was fast tracked hence the cars could be possessed by the banks and auctioned off. In the case of the customs etc. the paper work, case preparation takes its own cool time unless the owner is prepared to pay duties + penalties and recover the car.

Note - Case details of the Ferrai taxi have been added to my previous post.

Last edited by ajmat : 22nd April 2021 at 08:45.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 05:33   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
There are two factors

1: Motivation of the government to recoup the money.
2: Judicial Bureaucracy
Hi Ajmat,

Those two points pretty much sum it up.

Wonder, if as an automotive centric community, can we as a collective unit get on the discussion tables of the bureaucrats & decision makers for the good.

Just like in this case, maybe push for some laws / regulations on the disposal of those junked & confiscated vehicles.

Ideas that immediately pop up are

1. This forum can create a platform to appraise the vehicles and conduct auctions ( We have amazing members spread across the length and breath of out Nation).

2. T'Bhp members who are experts with the law or in that profession could also help shore-up the language and details.

3. Partner with Schools and teach students about safety, safe driving, road manners etc. through various means, hoping they become better citizens of tomorrow with better civic sense as well.

I'm probably shooting from the hip at this point in time, but its a thought. Trust it resonates with members.
nikhilarni is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 07:35   #25
BHPian

Sorry for my blunt question.
Why don't government sell/auction them (after restoration if required) and make some revenue out of it, instead of throwing these beautiful cars in dump yards for years.
I know it happened in few cases. But curious to know why at all these are put in dump yards for such long.
I am sure many would be ready to have these cars by paying taxes, price for them.

Last edited by coolmind : 23rd April 2021 at 07:39.
Old 23rd April 2021, 09:49   #26
BHPian

Does anyone know what is the condition of the 2016 MV Agusta F4 RR that used to belong to the DSK Benelli Chairman.

It was impounded and kept in the Shivaji nagar police station at Pune. The bike was put up for auction at 26 lacs but no one bid for it.

Really pains my heart to hear this bike lying in some open air impound.
no_fear is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 09:31   #27
BHPian

Quote:

Not only the Cars, but tons of bikes stacked up in the corners like no body cares. Its just a waste of spa

Quote:
This is illogical. What is the point of confiscating vehicles for tax fraud and then letting them rot and lose their value? Why not store them properly and then sell them after a short designated period of time like say 6 months? Go to any police station in India and you will see dozens of abandoned vehicles. Same story on the side of highways. We should make a law that any abandoned vehicle would be towed after say 6 hours and then put in a proper lot where you would be charged around 200 per day and after 30 days if the vehicle is not claimed, it would be auctioned. Similarly for vehicles involved in crimes, take photos and videos and dust for fingerprints and then either release or sell the vehicle. Why clog the roads outside the police stations? So many archaic laws and practices that linger from the 1800s.
Vehicles can't be disposed off till explicit orders from the judiciary & we all know that takes its own sweet time, sometimes even years.

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th May 2023 at 23:07. Reason: Old post, but shortening quoted post :)
superbad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 19:54   #28
A.K
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Hummer H2, Evo X, Rolls Royce Phantom, Aston Martin Vantage, Nissan GT-R
Attachment 2116603
Attachment 2116604
Image Source (1, 2, 3)
Actress Leena Maria was arrested for committing a Rs. 20 crore fraud and her cars, including a GT-R, Hummer H2 and EVO X were impounded. Pains to see the sad condition of the Phantom and the Aston Martin too.
The Leena Maria Paul Aston Martin Vantage has shown up on Team-BHP Classifieds section for a very ambitious sum

https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy...-Vantage.html/

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th May 2023 at 23:06. Reason: Shortening quoted post :)
A.K is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 20:29   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.K View Post
The Leena Maria Paul Aston Martin Vantage has shown up on Team-BHP Classifieds section for a very ambitious sum

https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy...-Vantage.html/
Yes this came to my attention as well. Ridiculous amount of money and also the seller hasn't put up the interior pics
ecksreturns is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 20:42   #30
A.K
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecksreturns View Post
Yes this came to my attention as well. Ridiculous amount of money and also the seller hasn't put up the interior pics
The ad description reads “This is very much track car .. with S Shift”, so I’m guessing the interior was stripped out for saving weight. Even the taillamps have been removed. Not because it was vandalised or anything, but only for functional track purposes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks