Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2023, 02:10   #16
BHPian

Re: Porsche Cayman GT4 RS, now launched at Rs 2.54 crore

If it was all about Electronics and Trickery, Downforce wouldn't exist and active aero/suspension would also not exist.

If you talk about authenticity of feedback, you should drive an air-cooled Porsche instead, because the engine response on the newer porsche's would be different.

Electrical nannies are a bad thing when a car like Hector sells because of the touch screen, but isn't bad when Porsche puts in the PDK, you would get it because you own one. If you were a purist, you would never buy a pdk and make that statement IMHO.
devilwearsprada is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 05:45   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Hope you are being sarcastic because Let’s face it, those 4 are probably pre-sold without any trouble whatsoever.

The Indian ultra high end car market is on fire and such limited editions get lapped up quicker than they reach 0 to 100
A fellow club member who owns a GT3 got a Macan S recently and casually said that he didn’t need the car but he was getting it so Porsche could allot him a GT2 in the future. I suppose that’s the equivalent of earning points to be eligible for an allocation. Is that how it works in India?

I understand the reason for rationing exotic cars and exclusive luxury items (even handbags) is to prevent people from flipping them for a profit in the market.

Coming to the car itself, it sounded epic and I’ll be happy for someone to buy and drive it so I can hear it.

I understand from some of our club members and the internet that the Lotus Emira offers the physical/mechanical connection that some “purists” are after. It’s like the swan song of that kind of driving engagement and it doesn’t cost a bomb. May be if the Cayman GT4 RS isn’t for you then try the Emira. I think there’s no point in painting a rosy picture of the past and deriding everything that’s on sale now.

Without the Cayenne and Macan, would Porsche even exist? I don’t understand why people are mad at VAG for that.

Last edited by kiku007 : 27th January 2023 at 05:47.
kiku007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 08:41   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey Kulkarni View Post
I can't believe a Cayman S owner compares cars basis 0-100 timings!

One word of advice my friend, if you don't know, read up. If you don't know, try to drive the GT4RS around the track and you'll realize the Cayman S is not even in the same league and just meh!

Peace out!

Cheers,
Amey
Agree to your point.
I have owned a 987.2 for 3 years (Also driven on the track) and at the same time got a chance to drive an old 981 GT4. The GT4 was a different weapon altogether and nowhere close to my 987.2.
Comparing 0-100 timings on brochures is just invalid.
A tuned 530d can cleanly outdo a 987.2 in 0-100 (Bhpian Bhuvans 530d has always done better 0-100s than my Cayman)
Engineers & Purists working at Porsche definately have another winner with the new GT4RS
123.rishabh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 09:12   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
A fellow club member who owns a GT3 got a Macan S recently and casually said that he didn’t need the car but he was getting it so Porsche could allot him a GT2 in the future. I suppose that’s the equivalent of earning points to be eligible for an allocation. Is that how it works in India?

I understand the reason for rationing exotic cars and exclusive luxury items (even handbags) is to prevent people from flipping them for a profit in the market.
Yes Porsche India as well as Hermes in India work the same way they do abroad
Sahil is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 09:43   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
A fellow club member who owns a GT3 got a Macan S recently and casually said that he didn’t need the car but he was getting it so Porsche could allot him a GT2 in the future. I suppose that’s the equivalent of earning points to be eligible for an allocation. Is that how it works in India
Usually No. Though it's common overseas to ask buyers for details of the cars owned in that brand but not here in India.

A few limited allocation models launched in India in the recent past were allocated pretty transparently (if that's the right word) to the buyer, who will add the highest value of the optional extras. Like, Two Cayenne Turbo GT were allocated for our market; one was to be mandatorily ordered with Paint to sample option. Both went with around 70 Lac plus options. Similarly, GT4 RS could be ordered only with that Weissach package previously

Last edited by Turbanator : 27th January 2023 at 09:44.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 11:21   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rainmaker View Post
As for why the world goes gaga over it, for the same reason Hyundai/Kia (Both India and worldwide), Tata and Mahindra (In case of India) sell more cars than other reputable automakers that actually offer far better quality, original R&D and reliability than these brands or for the same reason Apple manages to sell Chinese made iPhones for exorbitant prices despite Androids being more flexible and customizable or Windows and Mac being used widely despite Linux being better in every way.
I rest my case at this point.

Quote:
As I already mentioned, it's the Porsche dealers. But do you really think Porsche isn't aware of what's happening? It's all over social media and the internet. We all know about it and so does Porsche. But what did they do to prevent this from happening? NOTHING!
In the UAE, it's the dealers for the German cars, I can guarantee you on that. The prices generally are compared to the US pricing as the AED is pegged. The dealer mark-ups are insane.

Quote:
No offense but have you ever owned or driven a Cayman S/R or any sports car with a hydraulic steering long term like a couple of years or so?
I've driven the Cayman. It was under contention before picking up the Supra. The Cayman just felt dead meat below 3K RPM. You have to keep her in the powerband to extract the 330 ponies whereas the Supra's torque peaks at 1800 RPM and maintains it. Spoilt by Superbikes, I want my power on the tap and anywhere in the band. The power lag puts me off. Anyways, for me a Porsche would start at least at a GT4 or a 911 to enjoy the kind of power I'm looking at in an NA. And since I've tracked the Supra, I can definitely tell you that Electric steering feels light but provides enough feedback and is precise to where you point her at. Mind you the Supra comes with good tyres too which matter. The brakes are from the M4 and they aren't grabby at all. Nicely progressive. I know you would want more weight on the hands from the hydraulic which basically gives you that 'feel' but there is nothing wrong in accepting the fact that the electric ones are made to forget this task and focus on the other.

Quote:
I just can't and already turned down an opportunity to buy a GT4 last year. Just not worth it, but that's me .
Get a Mc Laren then. You know why.

Cheers,
Amey

Last edited by Amey Kulkarni : 27th January 2023 at 11:27.
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 12:16   #22
BHPian

Quote:
I've driven the Cayman. It was under contention before picking up the Supra. The Cayman just felt dead meat below 3K RPM. You have to keep her in the powerband to extract the 330 ponies whereas the Supra's torque kicks in at 1600 RPM. Spoilt by Superbikes, I want my power on the tap and anywhere in the band. The power lag puts me off. Anyways, for me a Porsche would start at least at a GT4 or a 911 to enjoy the kind of power I'm looking at in an NA.
What gen Cayman was it and what variant?

Yeah the kind of power needs you're looking at as per your driving style, cars like M3 (E92) (Power at higher RPMs) or the newer gen Cayman (A smallish 4 cyl turbo dud) won't suit you.

Quote:
And since I've tracked the Supra, I can definitely tell you that Electric steering feels light but provides enough feedback and is precise to where you point her at. Mind you the Supra comes with good tyres too which matter. The brakes are from the M4 and they aren't grabby at all. Nicely progressive. I know you would want more weight on the hands from the hydraulic which basically gives you that 'feel' but there is nothing wrong in accepting the fact that the electric ones are made to forget this task and focus on the other.
Yes and no. The tires you can always change on any car so if you're tracking, street tires in any case won't give you what you want. As for the steering, I'm not looking for weight alone. I'm looking for an actual unassisted or little assisted physical connection between the steering and wheels. I don't want sensors and motors doing stuff electrically, lol. BMW among others have done a good job adding fake weight to the steering wheels but that's 'Fake' since that's not the weight of the wheels turning or rolling on the tarmac. That's the resistance implemented into the Steering itself to make you feel better. I hope you do understand that electric steerings, no matter how heavy, are assisted by motors instead of hydraulic fluid pressures, the rolling resistance of the tires, etc.

No offense, but I still cannot understand how someone can get an 'accurate feedback' out of something that's literally running with the help of motors. . I mean I drove the newer 718 S and also the GT4 briefly, I could clearly tell that connection is compromised, the fake weight was very evident or probably my senses are too sensitive that I could detect such steering behavior, I don't know. Those who say they can tell what the wheels are doing using an electric steering are either not familiar with the actual steering feedback or probably they're confusing the chassis feedback (bumps, grit, road imperfections etc.) being communicated through their seats with the steering. As for YouTube reviewers, they get paid to say all those nice things about the newer cars, yes Chris Harris included.

Quote:
Get a Mc Laren then. You know why.
That was the plan for my next car but I didn't like the quality of materials and interiors on McLarens as compared to what Germans offer. I guess, I'm gonna have to settle for a 997.2 GT3 RS or if my budget allows then 997.2 GT2 RS once I'm abroad. Alternatively, in the same price range I'd also consider an F430 or a 458 Italia. Working on the same as we speak.

Although the best thing in the world would be to get a Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur GT4 RS, a one off based on the 987.2 platform. That would be my dream car
Old 27th January 2023, 12:31   #23
BHPian

This will go down as one of the greatest Porsche's ever made. Mid-engine balance of the 718, unbelievable engine and sound and all the mechanical wizardry from the GT team. This car is the ultimate definition of a dream 'drivers car'.

For some of the comments on this thread about it not being worth it, lets reconnect on this car 10 years from now, it will still be lusted after.

Only fly in the ointment will be the super stiff suspension which will suffer on bad roads.
Reesnat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 12:44   #24
BHPian

Quote:
What gen Cayman was it and what variant?
None of the 4 pots. I mentioned 330 ponies. It was the Cayman GTS 2015/16.

Quote:
but I still cannot understand how someone can get an 'accurate feedback' out of something that's literally running with the help of motors.
That's where the world is moving to fortunately or unfortunately. Having the front as light as possible even in case of Superbikes (Look at MotoGP) for instance.

Quote:
Although the best thing in the world would be to get a Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur GT4 RS, a one off based on the 987.2 platform. That would be my dream car
All the best to you on that!

Cheers,
Amey

Last edited by Turbanator : 27th January 2023 at 22:06. Reason: Fixed Quote
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks