Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2021, 10:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Porsche Cayman GT4 RS, now launched at Rs 2.54 crore

Porsche has listed the 2022 Cayman GT4 RS on their Indian website. The Cayman GT4 RS was unveiled last month and is the performance flagship model in the 718 range.

Porsche Cayman GT4 RS, now launched at Rs 2.54 crore-gt4rs.jpg

The Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 RS comes with a carbon-fibre bonnet and front wing. It also gets a lighter rear windscreen, lesser insulation, pull straps for door handles, swan-necked rear wing, new air vents, adjustable front diffuser and a lowered ride height. Porsche also offers the GT4 RS with the optional Weissach package.

Powering the track-focused GT4 RS is a 4.0-litre flat-six naturally-aspirated engine. It is tuned to produce 500 BHP and 480 Nm. The engine is calibrated to redline at 9,000 rpm with all the power sent to the rear axle. The 718 Cayman GT4 RS comes standard with a 7-speed PDK automatic transmission system.

In terms of performance, the Cayman GT4 RS is capable of sprinting from 0 - 100 km/h in 3.4 seconds and can reach a top speed of 315 km/h.
TusharK is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 15:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Porsche Cayman GT4 RS, now launched at Rs 2.54 crore

Porsche India has launched the new flagship model in the 718 family, the Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 RS at Rs 2.54 crores (ex-showroom)

- 4.0-litre flat-six naturally-aspirated engine.
- 500 BHP and 480 Nm
- 7-speed PDK
- 0-100 km/h in 3.4 seconds
- 315 km/h top speed

Porsche Cayman GT4 RS, now launched at Rs 2.54 crore-20220518_150959.jpg

Porsche Cayman GT4 RS, now launched at Rs 2.54 crore-20220518_151001.jpg

Porsche Cayman GT4 RS, now launched at Rs 2.54 crore-20220518_151004.jpg

Porsche Cayman GT4 RS, now launched at Rs 2.54 crore-20220518_151006.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 18th May 2022 at 15:20.
Venkatesh is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 12:02   #3
BHPian

Re: Porsche Cayman GT4 RS, now launched at Rs 2.54 crore

Hearing that only FOUR cars have been allotted to the India Market in total!
ballfry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 17:02   #4
BHPian

Seeing this car, I am lost for words and feel like a kid again. Feeling weak on my knees, stunning beauty, already on my desktop wallpaper, very soon will put it up as poster in my bedroom.

Porsche is one of the last manufacturers who has faithfully preserved their spirit with a flat-6 and a true manual in a sports car. The high priests of Zuffenhausen still turn out some of the last true purists car from their temple. I still remember my shock when they introduced the monstrosity called Cayenne and then the Panamera. But they have remained true to their roots. This and the 992's preserve my faith in humanity.

Wish I was obscenely rich.
Sigh. I guess the poster will have to do for now, until the scale model comes along.
Ritkon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 20:21   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfry View Post
Hearing that only FOUR cars have been allotted to the India Market in total!
Let's face it, even those 4 will have trouble selling.
arun_m5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 00:30   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_m5 View Post
Hope you are being sarcastic because Let’s face it, those 4 are probably pre-sold without any trouble whatsoever.

The Indian ultra high end car market is on fire and such limited editions get lapped up quicker than they reach 0 to 100
Sahil is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 09:44   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_m5 View Post
Highly doubt it. Its a limited run RS from Porsche. The appreciation in value itself will pay off whatever the original buyer paid for it on-road

Also, that exhaust note from the GT3 6 cyl is MINDBLOWING. I haven't seen YouTube reviewers lavish such praise on the aural dynamics of a car since the LFA and the LC500
Nitronium is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 18:12   #8
A.K
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Hope you are being sarcastic because Let’s face it, those 4 are probably pre-sold without any trouble whatsoever.
Exactly! From what I have heard, there is already a queue of people lined up for the GT4 RS despite the price tag being eerily close to the new GT3.
There has also been a fair bit of interest for the new Cayenne turbo GT, they're still mulling the launch of that one.
The Indian super/luxury/exotic car scene has come a long way despite the abysmal tax structure and I am sure it is only onwards and upwards from here. The cynics are limited to the internet, the market outside is booming.
A.K is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 17:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 RS debuts in India

Porsche has showcased the 718 Cayman GT4 RS in India for the first time. It is the most hardcore version of the Cayman and is priced at Rs 2.54 crore (ex-showroom).

Porsche Cayman GT4 RS, now launched at Rs 2.54 crore-whatsapp-image-20230125-2.59.28-pm.jpeg

The GT4 RS transforms the mid-engined Cayman into a track-focused sports car. It features a more aggressive exterior replete with several aerodynamic updates, the most prominent of which, is the top-mounted rear spoiler. The car also has a large front splitter with guiding vanes on either side and a carbon-fibre bonnet with NACA ducts.

Porsche Cayman GT4 RS, now launched at Rs 2.54 crore-whatsapp-image-20230125-3.00.14-pm.jpeg

The Cayman GT4 RS is powered by a mid-mounted 4.0-litre, 6-cylinder engine that produces 493 BHP and 450 Nm. The engine is mated to a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission, which enables the car to sprint from 0-100 km/h in 3.4 seconds. The GT4 RS can reach a top speed of 315 km/h.

Porsche Cayman GT4 RS, now launched at Rs 2.54 crore-whatsapp-image-20230125-2.59.46-pm.jpeg

The GT4 RS is 35 kg lighter than the Cayman GTS. It features an RS-specific suspension setup and rides on 20-inch aluminium wheels. Braking is handled by 408 mm and 308 mm disc brakes at the front and rear respectively.

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by TusharK : 25th January 2023 at 17:16.
TusharK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 02:53   #10
BHPian

I don't understand why this car is hyped so much. Fine it is finally more powerful (which people literally begged for in a Cayman) and handles well but it still doesn't have a double wishbone suspension setup upfront which should've been a given at this price point. It's a 'GT' car, double wishbone is like a necessity not even a luxury when talking GT class.

Secondly, being a Sports/Super car, there's no Physical Hydraulic Steering but a fake artificially weighed Electric Steering having no direct contact with the wheels. Now that's a crime. Anyone who knows a thing or two about cars can tell that you don't get any direct feedback from an electric steering rack. Good for luxury sedans, but for cars like these we 'only' need physically connected steering racks. At least I do and woul never buy a car with an electric steering.

Thirdly, the dimensions are literally huge for a sports car and so is the wheelbase. It's not a luxury tourer so why the big dimensions or high shoulder lines? I mean tall people could sit and drive comfortably even inside a 986 and 987 gen cars. No one ever asked for large sized sports cars.

Fourthly, the hype around this car is actually way more than it's actually worth. I currently drive a 987.2 Cayman S that has a hydraulic steering and that didn't even cost an arm and a leg to buy or maintain. Also, the power it offers is way more than I'll ever need for my passion and it's only a second slower than the GT4 RS. I don't think it's worth paying double the price for a car that is just 1 second faster than it's predecessors. I don't even know what was Volkswagen/Porsche thinking while designing this car and missing out on the most essential elements of a 'Performance' car. Also, apparently Porsche is not even able to fulfill orders with LED headlights and few other options due to the shortage and asking people to compromise for the lower tier options. That's like really unethical and unfair. Don't sell a car if you can't even fulfill what you offered to deliver initially.

Also, this car is selling like crazy abroad and people are not even getting allotments. It's not because this is a legendary car. It's all about the hype and marketing. You don't even know you need it until the brand makes you realize you do. Apple did it first, now everyone is doing it.

Also a fun fact for those who are not aware - Volkswagen took over Porche post the 987 / 997 gen cars and since then things have been on a downward spiral. Most of the parts were replaced with VW/Audi parts to save on costs and the most essential sports cars elements were also compromised for maximizing profits like using electric steering, using softer suspension, e brakes instead of real hand brake etc. In short, the whole philosophy of the Porsche family was dissolved and typical corporate profits dictated the development of newer cars post the take over. That is when we saw cars like Panamera, Macan and Cayenne being pushed like crazy to maximize profits. The owner never intended this brand to end up the way it did. It's really sad for Porsche Purists and Enthusiasts but we people are so less in number that we don't really matter in this whole ball game.
The Rainmaker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 14:46   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rainmaker View Post
I currently drive a 987.2 Cayman S that has a hydraulic steering and that didn't even cost an arm and a leg to buy or maintain. Also, the power it offers is way more than I'll ever need for my passion and it's only a second slower than the GT4 RS.
I can't believe a Cayman S owner compares cars basis 0-100 timings!

One word of advice my friend, if you don't know, read up. If you don't know, try to drive the GT4RS around the track and you'll realize the Cayman S is not even in the same league and just meh!

Peace out!

Cheers,
Amey
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 17:19   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey Kulkarni View Post

One word of advice my friend, if you don't know, read up. If you don't know, try to drive the GT4RS around the track and you'll realize the Cayman S is not even in the same league and just meh!

Peace out!

Cheers,
Amey
Well I had no intention of offending you Amey. However, I didn't compare the cars based on 0-100 times alone. That's just one part of the equation because that's how VW/Porsche markets it along with the Nürburgring lap times. If you read my reply again along with my other posts on this forum, you'll know I don't care about the power or speed as much as I care about the handling, direct feedback, connected feel, analog controls and communication between the driver and the chassis. I mean all sports/super cars are fast enough. But what sets one car apart from the other is how it communicates with you and the kind of driver engagement it offers.

I would not argue with you because you're entitled to an opinion just like Apple owners do and it will be a never ending discussion. But yes, it's a well known fact that this GT4 RS or even the new GT3 RS don't have the Physically connected Hydraulic or Manual Steering Racks and there is Absolutely NO DIRECT feedback from your tires. You're just driving by wire which "in my opinion" has no place on a performance car and defeats the whole purpose of a Performance Car. I mean it's not a Mercedes, right? And also it's a well known fact that electric steerings are being widely used in cars by automakers because it is cheaper for them and increases their profit margins. I really don't see how that's good for the end user.

You're partially right, the 2 cars are in completely different leagues stock. But if I tune and upgrade my suspension right and prepare it appropriately for the track, the handling differences will be slim to none. Engine and power is a different matter now, due to two very different engines being used in each car. In short, to sum it up, give the same engine and suspension set-up to a Cayman R along with the aerodynamic aids and call it a GT4 RS. That's what's needed in a GT car. Or probably to say things the other way round, install a hydraulic steering rack, reduce the unnecessarily large dimensions, shorten the wheelbase, lower the shoulder lines, take off the unnecessary electric nannies, touchscreens, digital displays and add a physical hand brake to the current GT4 RS and that's what you call a 'True' sports car.

I've yet to come across an actual enthusiast who would take an electric steering over a manual or a hydraulic steering. I don't know about you but obviously I won't. And that's exactly the reason why I always wanted a 987.2 Cayman S because that was the last gen to have all the modern touches with analog feel of the classic Porsches and Enough power to make me happy everytime I take it out for a drive. VW has only been commercializing since the take over and it's quite apparent in all the models that came out till date. The most basic and essential elements of sports cars are missing while they're busy marketing these compromises with fast lap times, bigger engines and aggressive styling, not to mention the unethical mark ups by the Porsche dealers worldwide.

What car do you drive by the way?

Also, did you ever drive a Cayman R and a GT4 RS back to back to be able to make a direct comparison since you mentioned about driving it around the track?

Would love to know...
The Rainmaker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 18:18   #13
BHPian

Quote:
That's just one part of the equation because that's how VW/Porsche markets it along with the Nürburgring lap times.
Important point, they market by lap timings and not just by 0-100 which BTW is also a conservative no.

Quote:
If you read my reply again along with my other posts on this forum, you'll know I don't care about the power or speed as much as I care about the handling, direct feedback, connected feel, analog controls and communication between the driver and the chassis. I mean all sports/super cars are fast enough. But what sets one car apart from the other is how it communicates with you and the kind of driver engagement it offers.
this goes unsaid for purist drivers.

Quote:
But yes, it's a well known fact that this GT4 RS or even the new GT3 RS don't have the Physically connected Hydraulic or Manual Steering Racks and there is Absolutely NO DIRECT feedback from your tires.
If there was no feedback, why is the GT3RS current gen the fastest across the Nürburgring today? There must be something why if not 100% but 99% of the world go gaga over the GT line-up of Porsche's.

Quote:
But if I tune and upgrade my suspension right and prepare it appropriately for the track, the handling differences will be slim to none. Engine and power is a different matter now, due to two very different engines being used in each car.
I partially agree and understand where you're coming from but that's not how OEMs think and not just Porsche but all the OEs be it their AMGs or M Performances.

Quote:
not to mention the unethical mark ups by the Porsche dealers worldwide.
Agreed on the mark-ups but is it Porsche or the dealers? In UAE, it's the dealers who're marking up Germans insanely.

Quote:
What car do you drive by the way?
Since you're new to the forum, do update your signatures.

Quote:
Also, did you ever drive a Cayman R and a GT4 RS back to back to be able to make a direct comparison since you mentioned about driving it around the track?
No I haven't personally. But witnessed my friend in the Cayman GTS and Cayman GT4RS on the same laps while I was cooling down from my lap. More info from my track day if you visit my profile.

Curious to know, have you driven any of these or done a track day?

Cheers,
Amey

Last edited by Amey Kulkarni : 26th January 2023 at 18:30.
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 21:20   #14
BHPian

Quote:
If there was no feedback, why is the GT3RS current gen the fastest across the Nürburgring today? There must be something why if not 100% but 99% of the world go gaga over the GT line-up of Porsche's.
I think you're confusing the two words. Feedback is not the same as suspension and has a very different role to play in the driving dynamics. It has a double wishbone suspension upfront. That's what contributes majorly to the faster lap times, if you must know.

As for why the world goes gaga over it, for the same reason Hyundai/Kia (Both India and worldwide), Tata and Mahindra (In case of India) sell more cars than other reputable automakers that actually offer far better quality, original R&D and reliability than these brands or for the same reason Apple manages to sell Chinese made iPhones for exorbitant prices despite Androids being more flexible and customizable or Windows and Mac being used widely despite Linux being better in every way.

It's called marketing for a reason. But those who know and can do their independent research, they don't fall prey to such practices or paid reviews in magazines or YouTube videos. It's very simple. In the last 15 years, I've realized that you can't trust 'most' magazine reviews, YouTube reviews, or website reviews. The only place where actual people talk and share their experiences are forums and that's where you know what everything is worth.

Quote:
I partially agree and understand where you're coming from but that's not how OEMs think and not just Porsche but all the OEs be it their AMGs or M Performances.
Exactly and that's the sad part. We're the ones paying for the cars and contributing to their profits and these brands don't even care and are trying every way to make a quick buck wherever they can, just because majority of their profit contributors don't even know the difference between an Electric or Hydraulic steering or probably those who know don't even want to stand up against these practices. I wrote a dozen emails to them when this change happened and you know what? They very conveniently justified their move and didn't care what I thought.

Quote:
Agreed on the mark-ups but is it Porsche or the dealers? In UAE, it's the dealers who're marking up Germans insanely.
As I already mentioned, it's the Porsche dealers. But do you really think Porsche isn't aware of what's happening? It's all over social media and the internet. We all know about it and so does Porsche. But what did they do to prevent this from happening? NOTHING!

And instead of boycotting such brands, those going Gaga over nicely marketed compromises are happily paying those markups to get a car that offers no steering feedback whatsoever and unnecessary electric nannies or electric suspension adjustments from inside the car that have no place on a super car meant for the track. Just extra weight and more failure points, if you ask me. It's a step backwards... instead of making it more analog for track use, they added 'n' number of extra electronics to fail at some point in future, not to mention the useless touchscreen distractions. Who even comes up with such ideas on these cars is beyond me.

Quote:
Since you're new to the forum, do update your signatures.
I'm new but I'm technically inclined enough to modify my profile settings to show the signatures. Still can't see anything in your signature mate. Although I did see your profile and found you drive a Supra, Golf and a Swift - All newer gen cars with electric steering racks and electric nannies. No offense but have you ever owned or driven a Cayman S/R or any sports car with a hydraulic steering long term like a couple of years or so?

Quote:
No I haven't personally. But witnessed my friend in the Cayman GTS and Cayman GT4RS on the same laps while I was cooling down from my lap. More info from my track day if you visit my profile.
Since you already track your car, shall suggest if you can somehow manage to drive a Cayman R and a Cayman GT4 RS back to back or just the Cayman R/S (987.2 gen) and then just tell me which one was more engaging to drive, which one felt more like a sports car and which one pushed you to be a better driver unassisted and which one offered the best steering and chassis feedback, most importantly. You'll know what I'm saying. GT4 RS maybe fast but it's no longer the kind of sports car that Porsche used to be known for. Steering and brakes are your first interaction with the car and the road and it disappoints on both the fronts with VAG components instead of those famous long actuation brakes of Porsche. It stops quickly, don't get me wrong but the long modulation or the brake travel of 987 gen is long gone and would never come back in any of the succeeding generations.

Quote:
Curious to know, have you driven any of these or done a track day?
Glad you asked. I'm planning to move abroad soon and do exactly that. Although to answer your question, yes I've driven a Cayman S (Which I own) and a Cayman GT4 (718). That's how I could feel the basic elements lacking and everything compromised. I thought the RS version might be better but sadly it's not. One of my cousins in the US happened to drive both the cars on track and long canyon roads as well. He's a hardcore car enthusiast and he confirmed the same with GT4 RS stating that they did most of the things right but screwed up by still using an electric steering and unnecessary electronic aids that make it more of a fast luxury tourer than an analog sports car. He's all about performance just like me and doesn't like unnecessary electric aids or distracting touchscreens that have made their way into the newer gen cars. Many others I spoke to on Porsche forums coming from a Cayman R have voiced the same opinion about the Steering rack and extra luxury added to this sports car which was more suited to a BMW or a Mercedes.

I strongly suggest you buy a Cayman R next if you can and trust me if you care even a little bit about the driver engagement, you'll never want to buy any of these newer gen cars ever again. I just can't and already turned down an opportunity to buy a GT4 last year. Just not worth it, but that's me .
The Rainmaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 23:15   #15
BHPian

Quote:

Peace out!

Cheers,
Amey

I don't know why but people are trying to be nostalgia merchants without a reason. Supra despite having a electronic power steering feels confidence inspiring around twists with the steering itself providing enough feedback. I don't get why people have to slander one thing just to prove that the other thing is better.
tanbeamer is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks