Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2022, 17:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Going to town in the Ace | My 1990 Toyota TownAce Super Extra

I can remember flying across both Nepal and Thailand in these at speeds they probably shouldn't have been going (about 150kmph for the latter), and my dad has put lakhs of km's on his in Honduras with hardly a snag, despite regular overloading on bad roads A bit dull to drive and substantial engine noise is there in the diesels, but they certsinly do what they were made to very well.

A true international success story, I don't think you could go wrong owning/driving one. If I could find a 4wd version I'd be especially keen / happy.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 9th August 2022 at 17:34.
ringoism is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 20:42   #17
BHPian

There is a town ace lying in absolute horrible conditon in Bhavnagar, gujarat. Probably abandoned by the once owner and garage for the lack of spares. I looked inside and the dash and seats were all removed, but lying inside. I wonder if it will get a second life by someone as passionate as you.
Old 9th August 2022, 23:50   #18
BHPian

Absolutely love this!
Wishing you many thousands of happy miles with this gem of a find!
Old 10th August 2022, 03:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

The TownAce and many of its brothers, sisters, cousins are a common sight in my part of the world. Sturdy, dependable vehicles. The modification potential for this series of vans are huge. Many convert them to campervans. Throw in a bed, small utensil washing sink, storage cupboards and you are sorted. Some retro fit an electrical system to draw power from the outside when parked at powered campsites. With this option, you can run a heater, Oven, Toaster, etc. Useful during winter months. Check out some of the builds this couple have done to their vans here. You could use some ideas, in case you want to head down this road.

The dashboard is almost identical to the Qualis that was sold in our market.

Enjoy your new pride and joy.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 09:30   #20
BHPian

These are common sight in SE Asian countries, all generations of it in all kinds of condition. Used to come across a ton of these everytime I stepped out. I'm pretty sure there's no shortage of spares for old Toyotas. People are just not caring enough to check with those sources, and instead choose to abandon these domestic rarities. I'm glad you saved one. I hope that Hiace sitting in a resort somewhere get saved as well.
SandyX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 11:32   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post

Glad to see the TownAce in your hands.
Thanks! Was going to quote you in the other thread with the link to this one but you were clearly faster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Some more deep cleaning and period correct new interior carpeting, this would be a looker and keeper.
Yep, will use it a bit and get it sorted completely before going for a deep clean later on. Matting too is in the pipeline. It is a keeper for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSarkar1 View Post
Japanese/JDM cars from the 90s are truly evergreen and your Toyota is a perfect example of this, not many cars out there that can handle Indian roads despite being 30 years old.
Absolutely! They keep going on and on! Hoping this one is a trouble-free experience as well just like my previous Toyota, a 2004 Corolla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSarkar1 View Post
Would love to see your car in person someday!
For sure! Glad to share the passion around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNair View Post
Wow! Looks brilliant! Can be converted in to a super tourer or a camper van. Was always a fan of this one since I saw it in a movie [It was a tamil one, I suppose].

Wishing you lot of miles and smiles with this beauty.
I did intend to make it a camper of sorts. Let's see how and when I can get on with it. For now, I intend to use it as it and drive it for a few thousand kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Such a charming vehicle. I really feel sad about being in the NCR and being subjected to the NGT restrictions, we can’t even see such cars around.
The scenario in NCR is indeed saddening. Especially with some stunning vehicles around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I had a toy version of one of these in blue, when i was a kid. Brought back memories of playing with it back then.

Congrats on your find and looking forward to updates on your ownership thread.
Glad it brought back some happy memories! Thank you and I shall try to post regular updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Glad that people like you still exist. :-) May your tribe grow.
Thats a beautiful van- exudes charm and character.
Haha! Thanks, those are some kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Not to nit pick, but do I see a tinge of blue smoke from the exhaust? You might want to try one of these - http://www.xado.co.in/index.php?rout...&product_id=90 and see how it fares.
There is a tiny bit of smoking that is happening but to be frank, the car had been standing for a few years before I got it. There is an oil change and engine flush happening as I type this, if the smoking persists then will look at alternatives. Thanks for the link though!

[quote=ROG_AK;5376291]Wow! this is absolute nostalgia! I grew up in Africa with a Town Ace (1989 model) and there are so many unforgettable memories touring in this amazing van. It still remains my benchmark till this date. We had a Town Ace Royal Lounge, which was the top spec variant back then. It had features back then that put most of todays cars to shame:

Wow wow! That looks lovely. So glad this thread has invoked nostalgia amongst a lot of people. Did not expect that, to be honest. And yes, the TownAce were loaded with features indeed! The skylites look beautiful, would have loved mine to have them too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Hi ///RMan, congratulations on your acquisition. Hope you get to enjoy the van as much as you want.
Thank you fellow van owner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Its a co-incidence but I have been preparing to put up a thread on the HiAce recently. I have written most of it and aim to have it up by the coming weekend.
Waiting for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
My man! I passed by you and wanted to stop but couldn't. Haha! I saw its a unique Toyota, wanted to park mine next to you and take some pics if you didn't mind. Id still love to do so, please dm me your location and ill definitely swing by to see the beauty. Drive long and safe bud.
Oh! Should have stopped for sure. Assuming you saw me in Goregaon?
Also, yes for sure, will drop you a message and we can co-ordinate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbind Ray View Post
Your post of the Town-Ace made all those memories resurface. I've achieved most of my childhood ambitions, even customised a brand new Renault Traffic extended wheel base Van into a mobile home theatre with Sony Bravia HD TV, 5.1 digital surround sound with floor & ceiling mini recessed spots for mood lighting, even a 3kw sine wave inverter that could power a 240v hairdryer
Wow that sounds great! The inverter is on cards for me as well, once my bank balance looks sensible enough to do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbind Ray View Post
A modified camper van like the Town Ace has appeared on the radar from time to time, overtaken by diverse projects from one decade to another resulting in hours spent watching various renovations on YouTube. Then I read your recollection of the Mystery Van and wonder... maybe one day.
Go for it! There's always space for one more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
I can remember flying across both Nepal and Thailand in these at speeds they probably shouldn't have been going (about 150kmph for the latter), and my dad has put lakhs of km's on his in Honduras with hardly a snag, despite regular overloading on bad roads A bit dull to drive and substantial engine noise is there in the diesels, but they certsinly do what they were made to very well.
Damn! 150kmph seems scary in this thing. But good to know they are capable of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
A true international success story, I don't think you could go wrong owning/driving one. If I could find a 4wd version I'd be especially keen / happy.
-Eric
I don't think there are many Toyotas which you could go wrong with.
Even I hoped this one were a 4WD but I'm happy finding one out here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhavyagnik View Post
There is a town ace lying in absolute horrible conditon in Bhavnagar, gujarat. Probably abandoned by the once owner and garage for the lack of spares. I looked inside and the dash and seats were all removed, but lying inside. I wonder if it will get a second life by someone as passionate as you.
Oh yeah? Would you happen to have pictures or a location? Will hit you up on this privately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Absolutely love this!
Wishing you many thousands of happy miles with this gem of a find!
Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
The TownAce and many of its brothers, sisters, cousins are a common sight in my part of the world. Sturdy, dependable vehicles. The modification potential for this series of vans are huge. Many convert them to campervans. Throw in a bed, small utensil washing sink, storage cupboards and you are sorted. Some retro fit an electrical system to draw power from the outside when parked at powered campsites. With this option, you can run a heater, Oven, Toaster, etc. Useful during winter months. Check out some of the builds this couple have done to their vans here. You could use some ideas, in case you want to head down this road.

The dashboard is almost identical to the Qualis that was sold in our market.

Enjoy your new pride and joy.
Oh yeah Australia and NZ is big on van culture I believe! When I was looking for some cosmetic parts on EBay, literally everything was shipping from Australia and NZ.

I do have plans to make it a camper someday, will think of it in detail sometime in the future. Thanks for the link, always helpful to have ready references.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyX View Post
These are common sight in SE Asian countries, all generations of it in all kinds of condition. Used to come across a ton of these everytime I stepped out. I'm pretty sure there's no shortage of spares for old Toyotas. People are just not caring enough to check with those sources, and instead choose to abandon these domestic rarities. I'm glad you saved one. I hope that Hiace sitting in a resort somewhere get saved as well.
SE Asia runs on vans, quite literally.

I'd agree about the spares being available as well, but the cosmetic trims are a little tough to source, and tougher to import.

Which HiAce do you mention? Any pictures/link?

Last edited by ///RMan : 10th August 2022 at 11:33.
///RMan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 13:15   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///RMan View Post

Which HiAce do you mention? Any pictures/link?
This one:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...ml#post5359352 (Pics: Imports gathering dust in India)
SandyX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 14:51   #23
BHPian

A good purchase... Out of curiosity...

Will this car not need a fitness certificate to ply on our roads...?

What is the make year of this car..?
Old 10th August 2022, 15:50   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh! Someone should save it indeed. Looks lovely even neglected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikran View Post
A good purchase... Out of curiosity...

Will this car not need a fitness certificate to ply on our roads...?

What is the make year of this car..?
It is manufactured in 1990. And yes it does need a fitness certificate to ply on our roads, and my car has the passing and green tax certificates for the same

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks