Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2023, 14:06   #16
BHPian

Re: Pics | Modern Classics Rally in Mumbai | Including the E-Type, Hummer, Corvette, Skyline GT-R &

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
The owner had the most talking to do, at the show. The sheer size of this one, even though parked in a corner, grabbed everyones attention. And it was not even in a flashy colour.

One guy walked up to him and said, when I drive my modified Gypsy, people ask me if I am driving a Hummer.
This is a Humvee and not a hummer h1. It's a standard issue army vehicle. They came in tan or this olive green colours only. Army green means it went to some tropical or temperate climate country. The tan ones did duty in the gulf. I wonder if these were used by the British armed forces hence being in rhd format.
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 14:42   #17
BHPian

Re: Pics | Modern Classics Rally in Mumbai | Including the E-Type, Hummer, Corvette, Skyline GT-R &

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh View Post
This is a Mahindra Thar (used to be owned by Cricketer Surya Kumar Yadav who got totally sick of the dead metal weight) and not a Nissan Jonga.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...re-rally35.jpg
Doesn't appear like the Mahindra Thar! It definitely looks like the Nissan 1Ton(not the JONGA).

If it is a Thar, then it is an stupendous effort by the individual to get it into this shape.

Last edited by susan3004 : 23rd March 2023 at 14:44.
susan3004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 14:50   #18
BHPian

Yeah it has bodywork to make it look like a 1 Ton (not a JONGA). I had written about this in the relevant Thread too. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-v...ml#post5514783 (Nissan Jonga! Can I have some details about this monster truck?)

Also, sharing more pics that I took at the workshop. I saw the engine and also spoke to the owner. There are lots of such modified Thars around in India and I think all of them are from the same workshop in Punjab. They look quite horrendous upclose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
Doesn't appear like the Mahindra Thar! It definitely looks like the Nissan 1Ton(not the JONGA).

If it is a Thar, then it is an stupendous effort by the individual to get it into this shape.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics | Modern Classics Rally in Mumbai | Including the E-Type, Hummer, Corvette, Skyline GT-R & more-whatsapp-image-20230323-2.47.02-pm-1.jpeg  

Pics | Modern Classics Rally in Mumbai | Including the E-Type, Hummer, Corvette, Skyline GT-R & more-whatsapp-image-20230323-2.47.02-pm.jpeg  

Pics | Modern Classics Rally in Mumbai | Including the E-Type, Hummer, Corvette, Skyline GT-R & more-whatsapp-image-20230323-2.47.01-pm.jpeg  

Last edited by Animesh : 23rd March 2023 at 14:51.
Animesh is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 15:01   #19
BHPian

At the expense of sounding like an uncle, they really do not make cars like these nowadays. What beauties!
DasAuto1985 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 15:31   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
This is a Humvee and not a hummer h1. It's a standard issue army vehicle. They came in tan or this olive green colours only. Army green means it went to some tropical or temperate climate country. The tan ones did duty in the gulf. I wonder if these were used by the British armed forces hence being in rhd format.
This is a military spec HMMWV minus the fighting bits and the owner got it from the manufacturer. Only factory made RHD example as far as I know.
Old 23rd March 2023, 17:08   #21
Team-BHP Support

Spotted these 2 the weekend before the rally...

Pics | Modern Classics Rally in Mumbai | Including the E-Type, Hummer, Corvette, Skyline GT-R & more-pxl_20230311_094925177.jpg

Pics | Modern Classics Rally in Mumbai | Including the E-Type, Hummer, Corvette, Skyline GT-R & more-pxl_20230311_094843353.mp.jpg
Rehaan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 19:08   #22

The Miata and the '77 Firebird are

Quote:

Plymouth Hemi 'Cuda

Attachment 2431049
The Barracuda was only sold in North America, as far as I know. Did the owner convert it to RHD or something?
Old 23rd March 2023, 19:19   #23
Team-BHP Support

Many great cars in that rally. But just look at that E-Type convertible! When it comes to sheer knockout glamour, this is the undisputed ruler.

In my opinion, there are just 3 other cars that come close to the E-Type when it comes to desirability - the Ferrari 365 GTB, the Aston Martin V8 Vantage (1977) and the Mercedes 280SL (Pagoda).

Other cars that made me smile - the two Alfa Romeos.
Aditya is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 20:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

It was indeed a great Sunday out with these modern classics. So much more fun than the outright vintage car or super car rallies which are more common.

These are the cars virtually most of us grew up with and hats off to owners for keeping them in such great condition. As Aditya said, the Jaguar E-Type is nothing short of mesmerizing and it was nice to see the Ferrari Mondial on the road after ages.

Other noteworthy cars were the Bentley Brooklands, the Saab 9-3 Convertible, the Humvee, Toyota Sera, Lexus LS400 and Ford pickup.

I was also happy to see the E39 BMW M5 which was a favourite photo clicking subject for forum members back in the day when Team BHP was just born.

Ravi Shastri's famous Audi 100 MFA 1 also mde it to the show and I am quite proud to be part of the team that restored the car to its formal glory and is now as good as new. She drives beautifully.

And as always it was super to catch up with friends like V12 and parrys along with other friends from the car circle.
Dippy is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 16:14   #25
BHPian

What a lovely read. Such a wonderful selection of cars, the Mercedes-Benz SL R129 is a personal favourite. Do add more pictures to this thread. Peace
Air_Kerala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 12:42   #26
BHPian

I can't stop drooling over the R129 and SEC. Also wasn't aware of mumbai having not just 1 but 2 Jag E Type. I was under the impression there is only one in the country - which belongs to a garage in Indore. But obviously I stand corrected.
samyakmodi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 18:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
I can't stop drooling over the R129 and SEC. Also wasn't aware of mumbai having not just 1 but 2 Jag E Type. I was under the impression there is only one in the country - which belongs to a garage in Indore. But obviously I stand corrected.
There are two more owned by 2 prominent collectors in Mumbai and Pune respectively.
Dippy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 20:41   #28
A.K
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
There are two more owned by 2 prominent collectors in Mumbai and Pune respectively.
There are at least half a dozen Jaguar ETypes around in the country, in various body shapes and engine configurations.
A.K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 23:55   #29
BHPian

Should the esteemed owner of the stellar Black B7 RS4 come across this message, I humbly request that you kindly consider reaching out to me when the time comes for this automotive masterpiece to find a new home.
Old 26th March 2023, 22:57   #30
BHPian

Great to see a 2nd Gen Trans-Am there! I'm obviously a little biased towards it
Pics | Modern Classics Rally in Mumbai | Including the E-Type, Hummer, Corvette, Skyline GT-R & more-fall.jpg

I was trying to make out the grill pattern to check if it's a 77 or 78. Looked like maybe a 78 from what I could make out?

Quote:
2nd-gen:
Attachment 2431047

The kids in this frame have a really good taste in cars:
Attachment 2431071
AKTransAM is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed