Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2007, 14:16   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Then I'll be the first one to ask Dippy "Main Chalaoon Kya?"
And Ill be the person going to deliver the car to Him, with a stick to balance aka Husain style barefooted!!
Old 20th July 2007, 14:20   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
And Ill be the person going to deliver the car to Him, with a stick to balance aka Husain style barefooted!!
The only stick i can imagine you with is the "Gear Stick" none other.
Old 20th July 2007, 14:25   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Then I'll be the first one to ask Dippy "Main Chalaoon Kya?"

Sirji you wont need to even ask that question. That goes without saying.

@scooby: I'll be more than glad to take delivery from you but I'm sure you wont be needing that Hussain stick . Its just not your type. Like Gogi said nothing but the gear stick for you
Old 20th July 2007, 15:12   #139
BHPian

Man she looks a beauty.. the sparkling RED!!!....
Old 20th July 2007, 15:25   #140
Senior - BHPian

I think Scooby should have this plaque on his stick.
And this caution is for those seated in his car..ask Ford Rocam and Shrivz

Old 20th July 2007, 15:34   #141
BHPian

Dippy.... Or shall i rename you as one bloody lucky dawg.. Anyways Kudos to your experience and also to the Ferrari full write up.(such expression can come only by a true die hard fan)

But no matter whatever i or anyone say regarding the write up. i know the real experience must've been a zillion times better then something you can put in your word.

I just home Some Day....
Old 20th July 2007, 15:42   #142
Senior - BHPian

Thank you sinner. It sure was an experience of sorts. Before I got writing there was alot which I thought I will put down in words but in the end I was in loss for them.

Well maybe I might just write a Long Term ownership report someday on this forum. Yes someday
Old 20th July 2007, 15:48   #143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I would too...and her hips dont lie
Oh I thought she sang "Lips dont lie". Geez, I am a dirtier old man than even I thought I was.

This is the same girl who gyrates like Govinda on VH1/MTV right?
Old 20th July 2007, 15:51   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Oh I thought she sang "Lips dont lie". Geez, I am a dirtier old man than even I thought I was.

This is the same girl who gyrates like Govinda on VH1/MTV right?
Thats her and her hips dont lie
I want to know with a face and lips like that, who the hell was talking to her hips and why??!!
Old 20th July 2007, 18:43   #145
BHPian

I have been following this thread, and I still do not know what to say. I have always wondered who those lucky people are who get to drive these dream cars. And here we have in our midst, someone just that lucky! Congratulations, Dippy, I am sure you find it difficult to sleep at night, and I am sure you wake up in the middle of the night to the sound of a roaring engine in your dreams.
Old 20th July 2007, 18:55   #146
BHPian

By the way, slightly off topic, but I wonder why race cars have low profile tyres while sports cars have high profile tyres. F1 cars have pretty low profiles don't they? Why is that?
Old 20th July 2007, 20:28   #147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
By the way, slightly off topic, but I wonder why race cars have low profile tyres while sports cars have high profile tyres. F1 cars have pretty low profiles don't they? Why is that?
low profile = better handling
high profile = better ride quality
Old 20th July 2007, 21:31   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
On the contrary my friend, uve got it all wrong.

Which throughbred sportscar have you seen with high profiles. Check out the profiles buddy they're all low profile.
Porsches-911S and CaymanS ride on profiles of 40 or 35 or 30
Lambo LP640 and Ferrari F430 (Dippys Machine ) runs on 35 profiles
Low profiles may offer better handling, traction and braking power but the downside is more tyre noise, harsh ride and more prone to aquaplanning.

The F1 cars run on softer compound tyres with a low life expectancy and are of a higher profile. F1 Tyres are made with special compounds and there are different tyres for different weather conditions such as dry intermediate and wet. Soft compound tyres wear faster and get more sticky on the track thus offering more traction. IN fact they are much wider with softer walls as more the rubber, more the contact and better the grip. It all depends on the weather conditions which govern which tyre is used. In fact tyres are made specially to suit circuits. There is a lot of science involved in this which i wont go into or ill have to make a very very long post
So sports cars use Low profiles and F1 cars use high profiles.
Old 21st July 2007, 11:00   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Quote:
On the contrary my friend, uve got it all wrong.

Which throughbred sportscar have you seen with high profiles. Check out the profiles buddy they're all low profile.
Porsches-911S and CaymanS ride on profiles of 40 or 35 or 30
Lambo LP640 and Ferrari F430 (Dippys Machine ) runs on 35 profiles
Low profiles may offer better handling, traction and braking power but the downside is more tyre noise, harsh ride and more prone to aquaplanning.

The F1 cars run on softer compound tyres with a low life expectancy and are of a higher profile. F1 Tyres are made with special compounds and there are different tyres for different weather conditions such as dry intermediate and wet. Soft compound tyres wear faster and get more sticky on the track thus offering more traction. IN fact they are much wider with softer walls as more the rubber, more the contact and better the grip. It all depends on the weather conditions which govern which tyre is used. In fact tyres are made specially to suit circuits. There is a lot of science involved in this which i wont go into or ill have to make a very very long post
So sports cars use Low profiles and F1 cars use high profiles.
V16, thanks pal, that is logical. Makes sense. But then, though F1 cars have very tight suspensions, does the thickness of the tyre profile not affect handling to that small extent? And I think I typed in my query wrong, reversing low for high profile.

Last edited by prabuddhadg : 21st July 2007 at 11:02.
Old 21st July 2007, 13:37   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
V16, thanks pal, that is logical. Makes sense. But then, though F1 cars have very tight suspensions, does the thickness of the tyre profile not affect handling to that small extent? And I think I typed in my query wrong, reversing low for high profile.
The F1 suspension is a Double Wishbone Type which is designed for stability and strength and ride controll. It is so designed that at any time all four wheels of the car must remain on the track inspite of changes in the surface. The front and rear suspensions are of the similar type and are designed specially to take the particular type of tyres, so they are designed for high profile tyres.
Coming to your query, the F1 has strict rules and regulations regards the tyres which are used. Of course they evolve during the various seasons. Rules are evolved mainly, to limit cornering and acceleration speeds of the cars, the tyres being the only contact patch between a car and the track.
The simple rule is the more the rubber, the more the grip. To get the maximum amount of grip as wide as possible and allowed a tyre is used, which is the maximum limit the FIA will allow. This also decreases wear, as more rubber surface in contact with the track holds better and extends the lifetime of a tyre. Thus manufactures use softer rubber compounds for a F1 Tyre.The structure is composed of a Nylon Polyester mix framework, in a complex weave. This is the skeleton of the tyre. Manufacturers do not reveal the components of their tyres.
Evolving rules also means tyre engineers are designing smaller diameter tyres with more flexible sidewalls so more tyre will come in contact with the track. This is to compensate for lost contact area in F1 tyres as compared to the maximum allowed diameter size. Also these sidewalls are reinforced with the lightest materials used to keep safety and weight in check. Safety is needed because the sidewalls are constantly in touch with the lifted or raised edge of the track which the tyres scape continously especially while turning or cornering.
F1 has very stringent rules regard even tyres and their types etc.
No tyre rim can be of more than 13''. There are rules regarding the groves on a particular type of tyre and also as to the grooves on the front tyre and the rear tyre and the distances between them, the depth of these grooves, the type of grooves which are supposed to be there.(Dry type Rear tyres four grooves and front tyres three, I think). Specs regarding the groves are different for different types of tyres.
Also there are specifications as regards to the contact area of the tyre to the surface (track) when fitted on the car. Formula One tyre for dry surfaces is a colossus of 660 mm in external diameter and 350 mm wide
A rear wheel and tyre is 365 to 380mm. The diameter of a dry tyre can’t exceed 660mm, with a wet tyre is allowed to be 10mm larger.
Measuring the tyre pressure as often as possible is also a priority. Although low pressure allows the tyre to grip the track better and provides a greater contact area, a small very slight variation can spell disaster in the performance of the car. Heat as you know increases the tyre pressure so in order to ensure the least possible variation in tyre pressure, F1 tyres are filled with a special mixture, usually Nitrogen.
In a nutshell, keeping all these (and more) rules in mind and that the tyres are of a much softer compound therefore having a short lifespan and many other things, high profile tyres are specified. Because of its early wearing off nature, if a F1 race takes place in a hot climate a car can go many a pittstop for tyre changing or face melt down leading to a tyre burst or should we say tyre burn?

Last edited by V-16 : 21st July 2007 at 13:45. Reason: add

Most Viewed