Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2009, 15:01   #316
BHPian

Hey bro have you ever had a puncture on your tires yet?

How regularly are you checking your tire pressure?
Nitrogen is a pain if tire is punctured.
Old 28th August 2009, 20:13   #317
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
....Nitrogen is a pain if tire is punctured.
Why would you say that?
(Other than the fact that you have to get your tyre refilled at a station with nitrogen once its repaired/replaced.)

cya
R
Old 28th August 2009, 20:37   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
Yeah, saw that vid...then again I met an M5 owner who swore that it made a world of difference to his car. We'll see...
OWS has a good octane booster in their product lineup. You should definitely try it out. German for german.
Old 28th August 2009, 20:44   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey bro have you ever had a puncture on your tires yet?

How regularly are you checking your tire pressure?
Nitrogen is a pain if tire is punctured.
Yup, I've had one flat so far, just as I was leaving Pune for Bombay. Had just passed Aundh. Turned around and drove back slowly, fortunately it wasn't fully flat, but was leaking air. Fixed it and came back!

I'd have been in a spot of trouble if it happened on the highway!

As for Nitrogen, it's a scam. My tyres are filled with air. My tyres never get hot enough to make having Nitrogen a requirement (and this is at some pretty crazy speeds, so...)

Last edited by kbk_75 : 28th August 2009 at 20:45.
Old 28th August 2009, 20:51   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yup, I've had one flat so far, just as I was leaving Pune for Bombay. Had just passed Aundh. Turned around and drove back slowly, fortunately it wasn't fully flat, but was leaking air. Fixed it and came back!

As for Nitrogen, it's a scam. My tyres are filled with air. My tyres never get hot enough to make having Nitrogen a requirement (and this is at some pretty crazy speeds, so...)
Hehe, thats an input which should be read by those nitrogen lovers. Maybe they can inhale some instead
Old 30th August 2009, 11:37   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Why would you say that?
(Other than the fact that you have to get your tyre refilled at a station with nitrogen once its repaired/replaced.)

cya
R
Because once you are in middle of a highway with nitrogen filled in, and you get a tire punctured, there might not be a nitrogen available and you might have to fill in normal air at that time and drive slowly and carefully with a tension a tire alignment problem!

Quote:

Yeah thats the reason i asked.
Woah now thats a trouble with nitrogen.
So you fill normal air in your tires instead of nitrogen?
Old 30th August 2009, 11:53   #322
Senior - BHPian

Yes, that's what I said. I don't understand your point about alignment, to be honest. The only purpose of using Nitrogen instead of air in pneumatic tyres is that nitrogen does not expand and contract as easily as air at regular tyre temperatures. Therefore, in theory, the pressure of the tyres will remain more constant even if they heat up significantly (for instance if you were driving very hard at a race track).

The simple fact is that street car tyres never get so hot that it makes using Nitrogen a requirement. This is just one more way for you to be separated from your money. Apart from which, how would you even know if your tyres have actually been filled with Nitrogen?
Old 6th September 2009, 16:58   #323
BHPian

kbk - were you in pune today afternoon ? saw a white M3 on Law College road opposite Kobe's.
Old 6th September 2009, 17:02   #324
Senior - BHPian

Nope, someone else.
Old 6th September 2009, 22:23   #325
BHPian

ohk.. she sported a reg. 0192 or something similar, and was driven pretty sedately.
Old 6th September 2009, 22:54   #326
Senior - BHPian

Haha! Well that is your answer right there, then!
Old 7th September 2009, 15:57   #327
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Because once you are in middle of a highway with nitrogen filled in, and you get a tire punctured, there might not be a nitrogen available and you might have to fill in normal air at that time and drive slowly and carefully with a tension a tire alignment problem!
Filling regular air if nitrogen is not available is hardly an issue. Just get back to a place with nitrogen and re-inflate. Hardly a loss IMO.

As for tire alignment? I am not sure what your point is either.

Quote:
....The only purpose of using Nitrogen instead of air in pneumatic tyres is that nitrogen does not expand and contract as easily as air at regular tyre temperatures....
Actually that's not the only reason, and probably not the most important one in street applications either. Read on...

From this thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-nitrogen.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I guess the main advantage of nitrogen in tires is that it does not permeate through the tire as easily as the other gasses in air, hence your tire pressure doesnt drop as quickly as it might normally.
(This can be said to provide better milage, handling, treadware since tire pressure is more likely to be set right for a longer duration)

In addition to that, nitrogen doesnt combine with the metal rims or rubber tire easily. Which could be said to resist corrosion better. (Along with the fact that compressed nitrogen wont contain as much water vapour).
cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th September 2009 at 15:59.
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:44   #328
Senior - BHPian

Come to think of it, apart from the rather unsexy image it portrays, an M5 touring would suite my needs perfectly. Wonder what the next gen M5 Touring will look like!
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:45   #329
Senior - BHPian

Getting old already KB? Finding the M3 a lil to harsh for daily use?
Old 23rd March 2010, 18:38   #330
Senior - BHPian

No, just getting of sick of sending a second car to Pune for my dogs every ten days! ;-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks