Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2007, 10:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

The rarest Merc: G-wagen

As you are all aware, G-wagen/G-class, is the rarest Merc model, especially in India. Its my mosr favorite off-roader in the world. I wish to own one & started to search one some 3 years back, unfortunetly I couldn't get one. Only once I heard of a car for sale, but when I called him back to finalise the deal, it was picked up by some lucky guy. I'm still continuing my search for it, not got any yet.

As far as I know, there is no G-wagon so far in Kerala, but there is 2 each in Tamil Nadu & Karnataka. And one in TN is with one of my best friends at Chennai, its a 1988 300GD 3-door with roof open..but now he has taken it to his estate near Ootty. And hes again looking for a 5-door one, he has lot of other cars too & even L/Rovers, L/Cruisers, etc, but he loves G a lot. Here is some snaps of the car took some times back, sorry for poor pics, its taken from his own garage, that too at nite..

roof opening: above the 2nd row seats

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th December 2007 at 19:41. Reason: U r = you are
hanmust is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th December 2007, 10:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...gurgaon-3.html
Old 5th December 2007, 11:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

That thread is ment for G-wagen at Gurgaon!...this I ment for all G-wagen sighting all over the nation..BHPians from Mumbai, Delhi, Pune, Blore can contribute to it...
Old 5th December 2007, 11:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

i have seen a G wagon white one in delhi. the pictures are posted by ishan. there also is the maroon and black one in bombay. this is the first three door one i have seen hanmust. the car looks really nice and the Gwagon is a good car for the streets but offroad it is a disaster according to me.
your friend should check in bombay he might get his hands on the five door
Old 5th December 2007, 11:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

There is a 3 door maroon G Wagon in Calcutta. Yummy!
Old 5th December 2007, 11:47   #6
Team-BHP Support

Somehow, cant digest the side profile of the 3-door version.

The 5 door G-Wagen looks more like it!
Old 5th December 2007, 14:16   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Gwagon is a good car for the streets but offroad it is a disaster according to me.
im sure you mean the other way round!! there are few as capable as the Gelande Wagen off road!!, thats why armies around the world use it.
there are at least half a dozen in delhi, i have seen, off white, maroon, dark green, silver and black, over the past few years.its a pretty expensive car, much more so than the M-class

Last edited by awini : 5th December 2007 at 14:19.
Old 5th December 2007, 14:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i have seen a G wagon white one in delhi. the pictures are posted by ishan. there also is the maroon and black one in bombay. this is the first three door one i have seen hanmust. the car looks really nice and the Gwagon is a good car for the streets but offroad it is a disaster according to me.
your friend should check in bombay he might get his hands on the five door
I know about all those cars...the maroon is the one I mentioned which was for sale more than a year back...

Speedy, I've driven G-wagen & I think I've to correct U, its a good car in street, nice suspension & very low noice inside...but its best for off-roading..for a real off-roading U can't expect a comfort level of a S-class..an off-roading enthusiast enjoy the bumby & twisty drive..moreover, G-wagon is one of the very few 4x4 which can absorb any terrain in ease...pls dont include the kiddish SUVs in this stable...

the present day SUVs are more a soft-roaders, most of them didnt even have a low-range option which is the ultimae solution in the adverse condition...Hope take in the right sense...

I'll quote an incident my friend had: he was on his way to his estate where he saw a truck stucked up in the river after loading the river sand (a common site in south), then he & his bro thought of testing their G's capability...they hooked-up the truck with the winch fitted on the front bumper...then he started the car & applied low range in reverse with the truck on & pulled away the fully loaded truck from the river through the lose mud..its a real life experiance of G's off-roading capability
Old 5th December 2007, 14:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
im sure you mean the other way round!! there are few as capable as the Gelande Wagen off road!!, thats why armies around the world use it.
there are at least half a dozen in delhi, i have seen, off white, maroon, dark green, silver and black, over the past few years.its a pretty expensive car, much more so than the M-class
i guess Delhi has the largest no of G-wagens in India due the embssies...

There is a G55AMG in Ludiana or Chandigard..& a G320/G500 in Pune (white)..
Old 6th December 2007, 12:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the car looks really nice and the Gwagon is a good car for the streets but offroad it is a disaster according to me.
Awini and Hunmast i think you'll missed the point. i was talking purely based on my experiences with the car as i feel it is not a serious offroader but a soft roader (not very difficult terrains).
i am not compareing it with the new kiddish SUV's or even the indian ones that cant perform on rough terrains at all. they just carry the SUV badge for namesake.
i have offroaded in london with various cars and compared to the land rovers the range rover and the Hummer H1. i would not hold high regards for the G wagon.
yes you had mentioned of the Wagon for sale in bombay but i believe it is for sale again. the black one could also for sale cause the owner is selling a few cars of his to make way for new ones. so have to check on that.
Dont worry Hunmust i dont take it otherwise. everyone has their veiws and opiniouns. its all ok.
Old 6th December 2007, 12:41   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmust View Post
G320/G500 in Pune (white)..

this one ?? Its MH20 reg. Have seen it twice and could manage only pic of the butt.
Old 6th December 2007, 13:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkanitkar View Post

this one ?? Its MH20 reg. Have seen it twice and could manage only pic of the butt.

Good effort dude...I'm not very sure whether is it the one I mentioned..but I seems that its a 80s model...
hanmust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2007, 13:59   #13
BHPian

I thought itwas allowed to import a Mercedes-Benz G class in INdia.Is there any G55 AMG?
Old 6th December 2007, 17:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK, theres a G55 in Punjab, either at Chandigard or Ludhiana
Old 7th December 2007, 08:49   #15
BHPian

The G-Wagon in calcutta is Dr.Vijay Mallaya's and is a 5 door and pink in colour.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks