Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2011, 07:53   #31
BHPian

Re: Stolen cars in India

Am quite certain that at least a small %age of "victims" from whom these cars are stolen are quite cognizant of the goings on and I am even prepared to offer a small wager on them being paid a decent sum to "let" their car be stolen (they're money is safe anyway, Insurance will take care of that) and exported out. Perhaps assist with the "steal" in some way!

As for the bigwigs who are/were caught owning/buying these machines in our country, I find it hard to believe that someone with the ability to buy cars worth so much "hard earned" dough dont know they are dubious, and or do not have the werewithal to find out if they are legal.

I dont mean to generalise here but a number of fatcats buying these cars are doing so with ill gotten gains anyway, so absolving them due to their ignorance seems like falling for an old joke.

I with my minimal brain, always cross check with various sources apart from the usual VIN/import route of a machine, how come these schmucks who make millions every breathing moment cant! As for our customs, do we really need to go down that road with what they know and dont know?
Old 1st May 2011, 09:18   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsOwn View Post

As for the bigwigs who are/were caught owning/buying these machines in our country, I find it hard to believe that someone with the ability to buy cars worth so much "hard earned" dough dont know they are dubious, and or do not have the werewithal to find out if they are legal.
Well, most of these buyers are wannabes who just want to show off their wealth. In India, the best way to show off your wealth is to own a an import, especially in the north. So theses guys literally don't care about the source of their cars as long as they're getting one at a cheap rate or a little less than the market price. I have personally seen instances of people driving used Toyota Land Cruisers badged as Lexus LX 470s without knowing what they were driving.
Old 1st May 2011, 17:22   #33
BHPian

This happened a couple of days ago. (in ref to article of delhi dealer.)

Let me tell you, a LOT of people are gonna get busted and are already underground. Anyway, i wont say anymore.
Old 2nd May 2011, 00:21   #34
BHPian

Was watching the news a while ago . They were covering all the 40 cars.
There was one rolls that caught my eye. The White color one.. DL 3CY something. It has been featured here on Team BHP too. But i can't recollect where . Either in Mumbai or in Delhi. Some thread.
Old 2nd May 2011, 00:54   #35
Senior - BHPian

Is this what you are talking about ?!

(Picture from the Rolls Royce Phantom Thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...ml#post1979420 )

With so many Security Features, I wonder how those thieves steal such an Expensive and one of the most Sophisticated Automobiles in the World and transport them all the way to India. .

Last edited by ShortShifter : 2nd May 2011 at 01:04.
Old 2nd May 2011, 01:49   #36
BHPian

Yes . That is exactly what I'm Talking about !

This car was in the list rather in the lineup of the cars caught by the DRI people.
Old 2nd May 2011, 04:25   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalhotra_93 View Post
Yes . That is exactly what I'm Talking about !

This car was in the list rather in the lineup of the cars caught by the DRI people.
So the Rolls must have been impounded by now. If all of this News is to be believed then all I could say is that its just Shameful, a pity indeed !

Its the whole system that has to be blamed. A bunch of high tech thieves who seem to have figured out ways to unlock such high-tech cars alone cannot run the whole Stolen Car Market by themselves. They are just of what you call the tip of the Iceberg cause there's more to it than what meets the eyes.

The DRI has finally taken the first step by impounding the 40 odd cars or so, and it now needs to take it a step further by speeding up investigations and exposing all those faceless thieves who have had a hand in establishing this shady black market trade of stolen High-End/Exotic Cars and only this time I hope they do it with honesty rather than a half hearted attempt at it.

Does anyone have more info about the other cars which were part of the list of 'Hot Cars' ?

And what happens to the Impounded cars? Assuming that the insurance of these stolen cars have been claimed already and subsequently the amount being payed by the companies, that makes the Insurance Company entitled to the ownership of these cars and in this case the Cars have been traced back to India so do the Companies try sending them back to the country of origin or will our delayed justice system would make them eventually loose interest in pursuing the case and thus leaving them to fade away and rot in our dark/dusty warehouses owned by the DRI. Who knows, time shall only tell !

Last edited by ShortShifter : 2nd May 2011 at 04:42.
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:43   #38
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Did the news video show the 3700 RR as being one of the cars that were impounded? I am asking this because in this news video they showed a clipping of the Mumbai Supercar Rally also as a reference where this RR was present along with other imports.
So it could be that you may have mistaken the supercar rally clipping with the impounded car clip.
Old 2nd May 2011, 12:26   #39
Senior - BHPian

Here's a video of the impounded cars which include Porsche 911, Panamera, Maserati GT, Aston Martin Rapide, Rolls Royce, Bentleys, BMW 6-er, Land Rovers and several Bimmers and Mercs.

DRI busts massive car import scam: India : India Today - Latest Breaking News from India, World, Business, Cricket, Sports, Bollywood.

Last edited by theragingbull : 2nd May 2011 at 12:28.
Old 2nd May 2011, 14:28   #40
BHPian

this whole process of selling stolen high end cars in India is quite old its been happening since Mr.AB was young and as usual our cops are to slow to think or take an action.And to be honest most of us know the name of the person who controls all these and the name shall not be disclosed here.All I want to know is what happens to these beauties,it will be a shame if they are send to the crusher.Lets hope for a cheap exotic aution .

Any idea about the owner of the cars,I mean if I bought a stolen car and I was unaware of it I would be devastated if the cops impounded my car
Old 2nd May 2011, 20:01   #41
Senior - BHPian

Did the Times of India article not mention a 2 Cr Aston Martin which may have been brought in through the same route and owned by some businessman based out of CH or DL? Any chance they're talking about Ecks' DBS?
Old 2nd May 2011, 20:13   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Did the Times of India article not mention a 2 Cr Aston Martin which may have been brought in through the same route and owned by some businessman based out of CH or DL? Any chance they're talking about Ecks' DBS?
Nope not the DBS, but an unregistered Rapide in Delhi and it can be seen in the News Channel video who's link theragingbull has posted above.

Last edited by ShortShifter : 2nd May 2011 at 20:17.
Old 2nd May 2011, 20:38   #43
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Has anyone heard of or seen a black or grey F430 in India ?
There's a black F430 in Kolkata, but its there for quite some time. And there are a couple of grey F430's in Mumbai and a grey F430 Spider in Bangalore. But all the mentioned cars have been in the country for a couple of years or so. No idea about any new additions of the same colors.
Old 2nd May 2011, 21:22   #44
BHPian

Hmm this seems familiar. All the mentioned cars have been seen at the Vasant Vihar petrol pump for sale. You can even see these cars in the Delhi thread. The report states that the dealer also lives in Vasant Vihar. The full list of the cars will be very interesting, something resembling the Gone in Sixty Seconds list (except the classic ones).
Old 2nd May 2011, 23:56   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortShifter View Post
Nope not the DBS, but an unregistered Rapide in Delhi and it can be seen in the News Channel video who's link theragingbull has posted above.
You are right. The TOI article (linked below) on reading again in detail, doesn't necessarily translate to any specific Aston Martin model or to any individual, except in general, where the vehicles were registered at (Delhi, Chandigarh and Gurgaon). So yes, it very well could be the Rapide shown in the News Channel video!

Here's the link:

Times of India Publications

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks