Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2011, 11:17   #61
BHPian

Re: Stolen cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
That car was part of the first Supercar event too.
Oh so it did get confiscated? Damn. It belongs to a good friend.
Old 4th May 2011, 11:32   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueunlimited View Post
Oh so it did get confiscated? Damn. It belongs to a good friend.
As far as i heard, it was sold before it got confiscated. The then asking for the car was 1.20 cr.
Old 4th May 2011, 11:34   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I dont think scammed would be the right word here. I know a neighbour of mine whose porsche was stollen in London and his car was found in another country. He did not scam anyone. Here it is a case of purchasing stollen goods.

There are also cases where the car is exprted and claimed as stolen - as well as the actual stolen cars also
Old 4th May 2011, 11:44   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
There are also cases where the car is exprted and claimed as stolen - as well as the actual stolen cars also
Yes sir, there are some cases like that too, they are dealt on order bases. A sindicate works together with Dealers around the world. They purchase a new car, show it as stollen and export them to other countries. What i want to say is not all cars stollen and found in other countries are Insurance scam cars, some are genuine cases too. I know of one person who was aware of his high end car being a one key car and bought it for the low cost of purchase in India.
Old 4th May 2011, 14:35   #65
BHPian

dealing with stolen cars from different country and insurance companies claiming cars seems quite a far fetched scenario.Say the cars the insurance company paid out were worth 10-15 mill US they won't even bother,because the hassle there is to deal with inter pole is very frustrating.My guess is they rot under DRI's custody and gets auctioned few years later at 1/3rd of their present value.
Old 5th May 2011, 21:20   #66
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Here is one story about mobikes :
$80K motorbike stolen in US found in Philippines - Yahoo! News
Quote:
MANILA, Philippines – An $80,000 motorcycle stolen in Texas last year from Hollywood screenwriter Skip Woods has been recovered in the southern Philippines, officials said Thursday.
The custom-made chopper was found Tuesday by police in Cagayan de Oro city, said Jose Justo Yap, regional director for the National Bureau of Investigation.
Woods, a collector of custom-made vehicles, wrote the screenplay for "Swordfish," "Hitman" and "X-Men Origins: Wolverine."
His chopper was among 14 motorcycles, three all-terrain vehicles, two SUVs, a sports car, a shotgun and ammunition for assault rifles recovered by police in raids in Cagayan de Oro and nearby Bukidnon province, Misamis Oriental provincial police Chief Graciano Mijares said.
The U.S. FBI sought assistance in the recovery of Woods' motorcycle, Yap said.
An American private investigator representing Woods said the screenwriter was surprised that his motorcycle, which was stolen from the parking lot of his condominium in Houston, Texas, ended up half way around the world.
Woods was "really congratulatory. He is more than pleased," said the investigator, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the probe is ongoing.
Police are looking for a Filipino who was selling the motorcycle online, Mijares said.
Yap said the man faces illegal firearms possession and smuggling charges.
Old 6th May 2011, 11:52   #67
BHPian

Quote:
As far as i heard, it was sold before it got confiscated. The then asking for the car was 1.20 cr.
any idea how much did it actually got sold for?btw was it a gts or a gt
Old 6th May 2011, 12:05   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishan Shah View Post
any idea how much did it actually got sold for?btw was it a gts or a gt
No idea as to how much did it finally go for, or did it even get sold. It was a GT.

Last edited by speedy : 6th May 2011 at 12:08.
Old 6th May 2011, 15:28   #69
BHPian

Ok so the Maser GT is still in Pune, with my friend, and its not sold.

@Speedy maybe you're talking about another GT? But I dont know about another white with red interiors.
Old 7th May 2011, 10:32   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueunlimited View Post
Ok so the Maser GT is still in Pune, with my friend, and its not sold.

@Speedy maybe you're talking about another GT? But I dont know about another white with red interiors.

I am talking of the car that belonged to I.K. if i remember his name right. She sported a Single digit nomber and was offered to me via a dealer for the price i mentioned. She would have been bought by your friend.
Old 11th May 2011, 13:30   #71
BHPian

Quote:
I am talking of the car that belonged to I.K. if i remember his name right. She sported a Single digit nomber and was offered to me via a dealer for the price i mentioned. She would have been bought by your friend.
Yeah I have seen that in a dealership in delhi if I am not mistaken and it was sold for a ridiculously less price. Not naming the dealership as I might end up in trouble, they were also offering a mint r8 for 75 lacs.
Old 19th May 2011, 19:27   #72
BANNED

""The DRI sleuths told court that the initial questioning of Walia has thrown up names of UK-based people of Indian origin and they are now seeking the help of other agencies to track them. The agency has pegged the duty evasion by Walia and his associates at Rs 500 crore in the past few years on the imports of luxury cars and bikes.""

N Korea, Vietnam embassies’ officials on DRI radar - Indian Express

Gets murkier and murkier. I believe VIN numbers are being provided, and tracking devices activated, to trace cars. There is also talk of "engine signatures" (audio signatures) of some of the ultra-super cars which seem to have found their way in. For sure, one doesn't see that many superbikes on the streets lately, at least in and around Delhi.

Matter of fact, post Tihar entries by some people, the whole luxury car scene appears to be cooling down, at least in Delhil
Old 20th May 2011, 12:23   #73
BHPian

This article provides details about how the story unfolded. Some names would be pretty familiar to us tbhpians
FIR against Walia: Delhi cops sat on it for months - Times Of India
Old 21st May 2011, 03:29   #74
BHPian

This Thug Walia should be harshly sentenced. I am amazed how he has managed to import close to 500 cars. I remember the mentioned BHPian in thr article saying that at one point this Walia guy was selling more S classes than the MB dealership in Delhi. Now we know why! I do hope Sahir gets justice and gets his cars back and this Walia and his associates get jailed for life. Though as this is India this guy Walia wont get any sentence and he would probably come back into the same business. Sad sad sad...
Old 27th May 2011, 17:06   #75
BANNED

Interesting info, apparently another 2 dozen cars have been quietly picked up over the last few days, and VIN based re-verification on imported cars is being done literally on a vehicle by vehicle basis. This appears to be a solid move to remove the "grey" vehicles from the roads, making way for legitimate sellers to regain the market, with focus on super-cars.

Any inputs on whether VIN tampering is fairly common in India with these cars?

Most Viewed