Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2011, 08:13   #76
BHPian

Re: Stolen cars in India

Guys, let me just tell you that there is more to what appears.

I won't disclose any further details as it is a public forum.
Old 29th May 2011, 11:24   #77
BHPian

Abandoned

Read in today's Hindustan times that a Bentley and a Aston Martin were found abandoned in two different areas of Delhi . The article dosn't mention the models of the cars but says that they were imported by some diplomats for their use in India and sold once they were here. This scam is only getting bigger and bigger. I think we are going to see some more "abandoned" vehicles over the coming weeks.

PS: From now on Im an going to wake up early everyday and look for "abandoned" Ferraris n Aston Martins

Source : Abandoned: Bentley, Aston Martin - Hindustan Times
Old 29th May 2011, 18:00   #78
BHPian

From what I saw on TV, Rapide & Supersports (could be a GT Speed too).
Old 29th May 2011, 19:12   #79
BHPian

What they showed on tv this afternoon were the Rapide, Bentley, LandCruiser and some more that were seized for evading customs duties!
Old 29th May 2011, 20:18   #80
BHPian

Hmm I wish I could come across such an abandoned car. I would simply tow in to my garage and just keep it there. Then drive it only at nights.
Ah what fun!

Wait hold on...isnt this already done?? ;-)
Old 29th May 2011, 23:09   #81
BANNED

Panic with the guys who have grey or stolen luxury cars. Seems VIN switching is not going to work because lo jack now functions and also selectively on offer. Anything pinging ZFF, ZHW, ZA8, ZA9, to start with, inspires interest. The W VIN numbers from the german trio, too. Cars parked under covers are being checked. Forget driving at night, even getting fuel for these cars is a risk now, at least in and around Delhi.

Is it likely that there was covert support from the manufacturers is another query doing the rounds - memories of the great VW scam are still fresh!!,,,
Old 30th May 2011, 06:39   #82
BHPian

DRI are doing the right thing here. Remember the same thing happened with Superbikes a couple of years ago? I remember how many people stopped riding their bikes at all in fear of loosing them. That time everyone thought it would be temporary but now things have changed and the official route of buying Superbikes is flourishing.

I was just wondering, there is a Supercar showroom in MG road (Delhi - Gurgaon). I guess their cars would be legal? They are all sold as used cars I think (if that makes a difference).

Personally though I would never buy a stolen car even if it was coming for 1/5 the price. Some principles never change.
Old 30th May 2011, 08:03   #83
BANNED

Here's another article, and now the names of the "owners" as well as those who have been given such cars for whatever reasons are coming out:- Big names surface in luxury car import racket - Indian Express

The beat constables have apparently been asked to look under the dust covers of cars and get hold of the registration details, and Lo Jack is reportedly triangulating bearings to get an idea on where cars are hidden, even if inside private property.

Broadly, the moment any of these stolen or illegaly imported cars surfaces and comes into public areas, they can and will be picked up. Simultansoeuly, a strong drive against usage of red beacons is being carried out in and around Delhi, to block that escape route.

There has been talk that a Buggatti and a Rolls Royce Phantom have also been recovered, and that a whole bunch of 4WD SUVs from Malaysia are also on the sights, but that many vehicles were sent out of NCR and other urban areas a few months ago.

Likewise, one used to observe at DefCol market that it was largely the youngsters on motorcycles who were stopped for checking - now you often see luxury cars also pulled up - part of the new-found enthusiasm, apparently, for help in recovering such vehicles.

Interesting issue on legal liability issues are going to emerge - who has real title to such vehicles, and who will really be liable?
Old 1st June 2011, 14:07   #84
BANNED

OK, so 3 specific supercars are being tracked and possibly located in the next few days, with VIN numbers known. Lamborghini Gallardo, Ferrari Enzo and Bentley ContinentalGT. This is in addition to the usual Audi / BMW / Merc and SUVs.

I have the VIN numbers of some cars being sought, in case anybody wants to re-check, PM me, please, confidentiality expected and assured.
Old 1st June 2011, 14:43   #85
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by malq View Post
Simultansoeuly, a strong drive against usage of red beacons is being carried out in and around Delhi, to block that escape route.
Thats true.

Check this classified in team-bhp: http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...t-Beacon.html/

Old 1st June 2011, 14:45   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by malq View Post
OK, so 3 specific supercars are being tracked and possibly located in the next few days, with VIN numbers known. Lamborghini Gallardo, Ferrari Enzo and Bentley ContinentalGT. This is in addition to the usual Audi / BMW / Merc and SUVs.

I have the VIN numbers of some cars being sought, in case anybody wants to re-check, PM me, please, confidentiality expected and assured.
Are these cars in India?because as far as I know there is not a Enzo here.Are you trying to get in trouble acting like a cop?
Old 1st June 2011, 20:52   #87
BANNED

Let me put it this way, Kishen - modern luxury cars are often equipped with new age tracking and identification devices, knowledge of which is not public domain and certainly not on "google" it. And tracing as well as recovery of such stolen assets, or bringing the perpetuators to book, is not neccesarily the job only of the police.

Put it this way - if the private investigators finally track down any part of the chain of an international purloinment of a car like a Ferrari Enzo, then sure as anything there will be multiple people involved. After that, whether the vehicle is recovered or not is another question - it is usually better to wait till the perps land up in a jurisdiction where laws work better.

How many of you remember the episode involving LUMAX when they had some of their people kept in state hospitaility in France a few decades ago?

And yes - most certainly there is one Enzo in India, and they made 401 of them. Not counting the mules. There is also likely a dummy Enzo/rebuilt, floating around somewhere in or around India.

Humbly submitted.
Old 1st June 2011, 21:09   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

I spotted a white Hummer and a black Landcruiser in my area in Pune in quick succession over the past couple of days. Both obviously imports, fairly new looking and beng driven by ordinary-looking people (not celebrities and such). Is this also part of the same story?

PS>> Normally don't see too many imports in this area since it's a largely upper-middle class locality.
Old 2nd June 2011, 11:32   #89
BHPian

Saw the same white hummer @ Marriot.
The guy honking a lot in the hummer
Old 2nd June 2011, 16:46   #90
Senior - BHPian

Luxury cars abandoned on the streets of New Delhi

Friends,

Came across this news on the UK, Yahoo site about high end luxury cars being abandoned on the streets of New Delhi by tax evaders. I dont know whether the news is old or not. It seems some 40 cars including the Aston Martins, Bentelys and the Porsches are abandoned by the owners fearing the tax evasions charges. More details in the link attached.

Luxury cars abandoned in New Delhi by tax evaders - Yahoo! Cars

Any Delhites came across such cars.

Mods - Though of posting this thread in the street experiences but felt otherwise. Please move if this does not fit in here. Please delete if the news is old.

Most Viewed