Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2009, 20:53   #1201
BANNED

well got no clue of the veyron but i dont get it , whats the point of that car in india even on the nh8 and at night 3am to 4am still there are loads of trucks and stupid drivers who are either changing lanes after every 2 second or just traveling at 40 kmph so maybe after sometime he'd realise that its best suited for dubai . but yes waiting to see it .
Old 20th March 2009, 21:11   #1202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord masters View Post
well got no clue of the veyron but i dont get it , whats the point of that car in india even on the nh8 and at night 3am to 4am still there are loads of trucks and stupid drivers who are either changing lanes after every 2 second or just traveling at 40 kmph so maybe after sometime he'd realise that its best suited for dubai . but yes waiting to see it .

+1 . My thoughts exactly. The only reason any one would get such a marvelous car to India is for driving it daily and well , 'displaying' it. If it is going to be hidden in a garage for 23 hours a day x 6 days a week , then wow , you my friend , are one 'smart' car guy.
Old 20th March 2009, 21:21   #1203
v10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecksreturns View Post
+1 . My thoughts exactly. The only reason any one would get such a marvelous car to India is for driving it daily and well , 'displaying' it. If it is going to be hidden in a garage for 23 hours a day x 6 days a week , then wow , you my friend , are one 'smart' car guy.
well according to my source the news is confirmed! a carrera GT is in the country too.
The family is based in bombay and into industries. The car is for their teenage son. They have a house in delhi. It is parked here in a specially built garage
He drives it on the highway from one tollbooth to the other and back once a week.it was imported by some property giant in bombay along with that property guys porsche gt.both from the middle east and theyre both hidden till further notice.

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st April 2009 at 20:46. Reason: As per PM exchange.
Old 20th March 2009, 21:31   #1204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v10 View Post
both from dubai.no duties paid and theyre both hidden till further notice.

The Garage of the property giants comprises of -

this property guy is huge and already owns 2 phantoms.one custom built with his initials on the side.a blue bentley and a yellow porsche just for his son.
anybody know these guys?
My congrats to their son for his collection . But the part I highlighted in your convo (see above) . Seriously , if it is some technical thing then no offense to the owner . But if not , then , wow , what a 'cool' thing to do. Bravo.

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd March 2009 at 20:07. Reason: Removing owner reference from the quoted post
Old 20th March 2009, 21:40   #1205
v10
BHPian

Another point to note here is that there is legally no option to pay the duty on the car, clear customs, register it and drive it. The only 2 options are sneaking it in or carnet..
Old 20th March 2009, 21:42   #1206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another point to note here is that there is legally no option to pay the duty on the car, clear customs, register it and drive it. The only 2 options are sneaking it in or carnet..

Lets just quit this before the mods kick in , and rightfully so .

OT - You are getting the ML next week? NIcE!

Last edited by ecksreturns : 20th March 2009 at 21:50.
Old 20th March 2009, 21:49   #1207
v10
BHPian

Quote:
Lets just quite this before the mods kick in , and rightfully so .

OT - You are getting the ML next week? NIcE!
Ya next week.. will post pictures here..
Old 20th March 2009, 21:50   #1208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ya next week.. will post pictures here..

Typo in my last post. Any ways , will await the pictures!
Old 20th March 2009, 21:53   #1209
BHPian

Quote:
one of my friends said tht hes seen a white/black Veyron in a friends house .
it was imported 3 weeks back
its duties havent been paid so they arnt telling anyone about it but one of the sons takes it out on the highway.

its a direct dubai import so its still got dubai reg.
Without paying duties, how could the Customs release it from the port/ airport? And since it is said to sport Dubai plates, could it be on Carnet or brought in as somebody's transit/ tourist import? I see no other way for the customs people to release it.

Last edited by v12 : 21st March 2009 at 00:20.
Old 20th March 2009, 21:57   #1210
v10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
Without paying duties, how could the Customs release it from the port/ airport? And since it is said to sport Dubai plates, could it be on Carnet or brought in as somebody's transit/ tourist import? I see no other way for the customs people to release it.
Carnet possible but not the case here. And this is india my friend If Official warrants can be released against ruling presidents and people be murdered for a couple of hundred rupees everything is possible!
Old 20th March 2009, 22:00   #1211
Senior - BHPian

Whatever it is , i agree with Karan that he is one SMART car guy.
Playing around it from one toll both to another that too 1 hour a week is like crazy.
Sad paying 1m pounds.

If i had the option of that , i'd import a car like the LP 640 or something meaner ( If any sub 1m range - after paying duty ) and show-off it around places in delhi.

P.S. Waiting to See Ishan's reply on the Carerra GT Post.
1.1 CRDi wale sir , please do the honours.
Old 20th March 2009, 23:32   #1212
BHPian

Quote:
ecks. i think after a certain point when you can pretty much afford anything all the issues of sensibility dissapear.maybe theres some technicality because even if its imported it has to be secondhand as bugatti stopped making the car last year and that has insurance issues.maybe that kid only spent all that money for living in that one hour a week that he gets.or the peace of mind that he is the first one inthe country to own the car.
Old 21st March 2009, 00:14   #1213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0333 View Post
ecks. i think after a certain point when you can pretty much afford anything all the issues of sensibility dissapear.maybe theres some technicality because even if its imported it has to be secondhand as bugatti stopped making the car last year and that has insurance issues.maybe that kid only spent all that money for living in that one hour a week that he gets.or the peace of mind that he is the first one inthe country to own the car.

Yeah , some technicality , none of which you mentioned though , I suppose.
And him being the only one in the country is not true either as (allegedly) one of the Ambani brothers has already one in the country and has had it for quite some time now.

Oh and when one can afford pretty much everything , at that stage you can only think about getting that , which gives you immense pleasure and is sensible (read: LP640/F 599) relatively speaking. But seriously , lets not get into further discussion on what is and is not.
Old 21st March 2009, 00:31   #1214
BANNED

well guys in that case i think that guys w/o brains because if he can afford it then why not afford it in a place where he can drive it without fear i.e like here he has to keep it covered and stuff because of the customs people so personally if i was in his place would have kept it in dubai where it would make much more sense and where i could take it out when i wanted and not wait till 3/4 am if i feel to go on a drive .
well everyone has his own fancies so lets wait for some photos .

accord masters
Old 21st March 2009, 02:32   #1215
Senior - BHPian

At times, there is just a charm or desire of owning the car. And owning it in your home country is always another pride and joy.

Its not that these super rich dont think about money but you cannot except them to think 100% practically and do cost analysis on ownership costs.

ecksreturns,
The below theory has nothing got to do with you and you may entirely disagree with me. Its just my opinion/sentiments. Absolutely no offense to you if it appears that way.

Theory
I assume an LP,599 and the likes costs about half of what it would cost in Dubai. Most owners of such cars in India dont drive it for more than twice a month on an average. They can very well buy these in Dubai and fly there every time they want to enjoy the ride. Dubai is what like - 2 hours flight and surely not an expensive journey. Now this seems practical too as you would have comparatively better service, roads, oppurtunity of interacting with owners of similar cars, having company of the best cars in the business. You may get the chance or pleasure of driving some other exotics too belonging to newly made friends (other supercar owners). I understand time is always a concern as you still need a full day for all this. But it is still worth even if you can manage it once a month. Its VFM too considering the car would depreciate 50% less of what it would in India assuming the % depreciation in cost is same at both places.

BUT STILL, people buy it in India there is always a different pleasure, joy, pride in owning these beauties in India even if you have to struggle with it in traffic at times, curse the roads, etc. I believe its purely sentimental to own such exotics in India and such sentiments are justified. Dont we say "Sometimes its better to let the heart rule over the head".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks