Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2013, 22:47   #5506
Senior - BHPian

Re: Supercars & Imports : Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
A friend spotted this Chevy Camaro SS in Chennai. Looks terrific !!
Great catch!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivasankar View Post
I think the same car was seen in Mumbai sometime back...
That was a silver colored V6. This one came to Chennai from Kerala, Kottayam to be precise and is a V8.
Scorcher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2013, 23:12   #5507
BHPian

Spotted Harish Jeyaraj in his White Lambo as he ascended the Kathipara flyover from Guindy side and proceeded towards Udayam Theatre signal. Was next to him at the Olympia signal when my mom waved at him and he waved back.

Just when he was about to pick up speed after crossing the Ekkatuthangal bus stand (just in front of KLN Chevy motors), a buffalo crossed the road forcing him to make a stop
callvvijay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2013, 10:03   #5508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post

Just when he was about to pick up speed after crossing the Ekkatuthangal bus stand (just in front of KLN Chevy motors), a buffalo crossed the road forcing him to make a stop
Haha, its only fair that one bull meets another! Good thing his lambo is not red color
carfreak77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 16:09   #5509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivasankar View Post
Governor Rosiah uses a black R Class. You can also catch a grey silver one near Somasundaram Ground, T Nagar.
I saw Governor Rosiah in a Mercedes GL Class on Monday evening at 8pm near Tambaram. I envy this man, so many imports at his command.
Old 21st March 2013, 16:54   #5510
BHPian

CBI : Searches conducted at 18 locations today and 17 imported cars have been located and seized.The searches are continuing...

CBI alleges that it pertains to a complaint that about 33 vehicles had been imported in Tamil Nadu and out of these, certain vehicles are believed to have been imported and subsequently sold in violation of import provisions causing loss of up to Rs 48 crore to the exchequer.

Stalin's son Udayanidhi, a film producer, had purchased one of the cars from luxury car smuggler Alex Joseph a couple of years back and had also been questioned earlier in this connection. DRI had booked a case against Alex for smuggling more than 400 cars and alleged tax evasion amounting to Rs 500 crore and transferred it to the CBI. An investigation is on.

The CBI team had arrived at Stalin's house 6.30am and remained there until about 8am to inspect Udayanidhi's car and obtain the documents from him. Udayanidhi told the CBI officials that the car was in a work shop and that he would hand over the documents to them.
Old 21st March 2013, 23:00   #5511
PPS
Senior - BHPian

^^ Apparently Stalin's Hummer is what they are searching for as its untraceable, atleast that's what i saw in the news.
Old 22nd March 2013, 12:01   #5512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
^^ Apparently Stalin's Hummer is what they are searching for as its untraceable, atleast that's what i saw in the news.
Well that's interesting.

For the past two days, spottings of a black Indian regd Hummer is being reported from in and around Trivandrum.

We don't have a black Hummer here. The only one was a H2 on Carnet and it went back long back.

Where was Stalin's car registered?

Last edited by Scorcher : 22nd March 2013 at 12:02.
Old 22nd March 2013, 12:04   #5513
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
For the past two days, spottings of a black Hummer is being reported from in and around Trivandrum. Where was Stalin's car registered?
I have no idea about the registration, you will have to ask the chennai spotters about it. The Hummer story was told by his party spokesperson on an English News Channel.
Old 22nd March 2013, 12:14   #5514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post

Wow!! That's a very, very rare find! I'm yet to see one in Chennai!
I've seen a grey R class outside EA many times.
Old 22nd March 2013, 16:15   #5515
BHPian

Have seen the car in question even a couple of weeks ago. It was on Chennai plates

The car was used as Actor Madhavan's car in the opening sequences of Kamalhaasan's Manmadhan Anbu. The Maserati which was seized earlier carried 2 different plates at 2 different points in time.

Anyone knows about what cars were seized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
CBI : Searches conducted at 18 locations today and 17 imported cars have been located and seized.The searches are continuing...

CBI alleges that it pertains to a complaint that about 33 vehicles had been imported in Tamil Nadu and out of these, certain vehicles are believed to have been imported and subsequently sold in violation of import provisions causing loss of up to Rs 48 crore to the exchequer.

Stalin's son Udayanidhi, a film producer, had purchased one of the cars from luxury car smuggler Alex Joseph a couple of years back and had also been questioned earlier in this connection. DRI had booked a case against Alex for smuggling more than 400 cars and alleged tax evasion amounting to Rs 500 crore and transferred it to the CBI. An investigation is on.

The CBI team had arrived at Stalin's house 6.30am and remained there until about 8am to inspect Udayanidhi's car and obtain the documents from him. Udayanidhi told the CBI officials that the car was in a work shop and that he would hand over the documents to them.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
Well that's interesting.

For the past two days, spottings of a black Indian regd Hummer is being reported from in and around Trivandrum.

We don't have a black Hummer here. The only one was a H2 on Carnet and it went back long back.

Where was Stalin's car registered?
Quote:
I have no idea about the registration, you will have to ask the chennai spotters about it. The Hummer story was told by his party spokesperson on an English News Channel.

Last edited by Sivasankar : 22nd March 2013 at 16:17.
Old 22nd March 2013, 16:43   #5516
Senior - BHPian

Years ago, I spoke to the guy who was the middleman in the Hummer deal. He also helped Dhayanidhi (they call him Durai) get his RR Vogue and also travelled on their behalf to Thailand to pick up rims and tyres for both the vehicles.
He mentioned that Stalin Jr. wanted all the import papers to be legit and paid the duties in full, as he didn't want any hassles.

We know that the DMK family are loaded with lakhs of crores (not thousands) and wouldn't skimp on import duties for a personal car.

I personally feel that there's more to the story (as it always is).
nitrous is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2013, 21:24   #5517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post

Years ago, I spoke to the guy who was the middleman in the Hummer deal.

He mentioned that Stalin Jr. wanted all the import papers to be legit and paid the duties in full, as he didn't want any hassles.

We know that the DMK family are loaded with lakhs of crores (not thousands) and wouldn't skimp on import duties for a personal car.

++100 to this.

I am sure Stalin Jr would have said so because he knows he will always remain a target for such controversies and would'nt ever want to skimp on import duties for his personal car. (huh, just a few crores ??)

After all, the interview his dad gave while the raids were in progress was in front of his Range Rover

Friday Update -- The CBI on Friday seized the following,

11 cars belonging to BCCI chief and India Cements promoter N Srinivasan.

7 cars from the Chancellor of Sri Ramchandra Medical college

5 vehicles from GK Shetty Ramanna

2 each from the MGM Group of companies and Raja Shankar

1 automobile from the owner of JRA Towers group.
rubicon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2013, 21:28   #5518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Friday Update -- The CBI on Friday seized the following,

7 cars from the Chancellor of Sri Ramchandra Medical college

5 vehicles from GK Shetty Ramanna

2 each from the MGM Group of companies and Raja Shankar

1 automobile from the owner of JRA Towers group.
Surprising to see the list of owners of the cars - none of them would lose sleep over paying proper import duties on any of their cars. All are rich enough. Is it more so because - "I'm super rich, I can get away with it!".

Anyway Stalin's place in Velacheri area was a hot bed of imported cars. The hummer being the most famous of the lot. Wonder what would happen to all those cars, if they end up being impounded or so. Will they come up for some auction?
Old 22nd March 2013, 23:24   #5519
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
none of them would lose sleep over paying proper import duties on any of their cars.
Years ago, I accompanied a girlfriend, in London, buying herself a new car. She wrote out a cheque for GBP8,000. I don't think I ever even had that much. She was a nurse, buy the way, not a rich girl or coming from a rich family.

I suggested we go somewhere by bus, and she complained about having to pay GBP0.30 fare. When I said that fussing over 30p ridiculous, seeing that she had just spent £8,000, she replied, "How do you think I was able to spend £8,000?"

It's not spending money that keeps the rich rich, and the few really rich I have known have been the most penny-pinching.
Quote:
Wonder what would happen to all those cars,
Watch out for a post on Team-BHP, when someone gets a chance to photograph them, in some yard, covered in dust, in a few years time :(
Old 23rd March 2013, 00:36   #5520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post

There is certainly more to the story than what we read in the newspapers, but I cannot agree with your first part. Only the "Rich" and powerful want to show their power more and not their riches. I know this one for real. I am sure Stalin and his son will come out "Clean" from this operation, since they never owned that car and only borrowed it from a friend.

Quote:
I am sure Stalin Jr would have said so because he knows he will always remain a target for such controversies and would'nt ever want to skimp on import duties for his personal car. (huh, just a few crores ??)
Just a few crores, yes. Coming from where ? Party coffers ? No !!! From personal legit funds ? Oh, no !!!

Quote:
That is interesting, id that really true ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I suggested we go somewhere by bus, and she complained about having to pay GBP0.30 fare. When I said that fussing over 30p ridiculous, seeing that she had just spent £8,000, she replied, "How do you think I was able to spend £8,000?"

It's not spending money that keeps the rich rich, and the few really rich I have known have been the most penny-pinching.
(
Now we know why you married who you married !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks