Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2008, 16:19   #46
BHPian

Big deal.

While I'm the first to admit that aesthetics are subjective and that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I can't understand the big deal about the Chrysler 300C, especially on this board.

While size can be striking, it does not equate to aesthetics.
If I was being kind, I'd call the 300C an average looking car with unimaginative styling, and iffy build quality.

IF I was being kind, but I'm not.

I actually drove one of these suckers in California about four months ago all the way from San Francisco to Mountain View. Sure, the Hemi engine pulls, but the car by itself is god-awful. It had the deadest, most limp steering I'd ever used, the aerodynamic attributes of a cathedral and almost no mechanical grip... all of which makes it one of the worst handling cars I've ever driven. And don't even get me started about body-roll.
The cabin and switchgear work was shoddy, and they must have scoured the earth to find the cheapest plastics they could find.

I think a special kind of skill is needed to start with an E-class platform and then end up with a dog like the 300C, but if anyone could pull it off, it would be Chrysler. This is the same company that started with the brilliant new Merc SLK platform and wound up with the Chrysler Crossfire, which is a total turd.
Old 26th September 2008, 18:02   #47
BHPian

thanks speedy and manishasrani, these are the pics. the car is mine. its not yet registered so i havent bothehered to blank the plates.
Attached Thumbnails
spotted Chrysler 300c in Pune-chrysler1.jpg  

spotted Chrysler 300c in Pune-chrysler2.jpg  

spotted Chrysler 300c in Pune-chrysler3.jpg  

spotted Chrysler 300c in Pune-chrysler4.jpg  

Old 26th September 2008, 19:51   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
While I'm the first to admit that aesthetics are subjective and that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I can't understand the big deal about the Chrysler 300C, especially on this board.

If I was being kind, I'd call the 300C an average looking car with unimaginative styling, and iffy build quality.

I actually drove one of these suckers in California about four months ago all the way from San Francisco to Mountain View. Sure, the Hemi engine pulls, but the car by itself is god-awful. It had the deadest, most limp steering I'd ever used, the aerodynamic attributes of a cathedral and almost no mechanical grip... all of which makes it one of the worst handling cars I've ever driven. And don't even get me started about body-roll.
The cabin and switchgear work was shoddy, and they must have scoured the earth to find the cheapest plastics they could find.

I think a special kind of skill is needed to start with an E-class platform and then end up with a dog like the 300C, but if anyone could pull it off, it would be Chrysler. This is the same company that started with the brilliant new Merc SLK platform and wound up with the Chrysler Crossfire, which is a total turd.

You spoke most of the words right out of my mouth. Taaliyan.
Old 26th September 2008, 20:23   #49
BHPian

Thanks Aniguchisan.

The worst thing about it though was something I left out of my last post. On the I-280N, which is a gorgeous, twisting freeway that climbs through hills and has some wonderful banked sections, this car was unbelievably bad.
Yes, the engine pulls like an insane locomotive, but the whole car wallows and rolls SO much that it can actually make you feel a little nauseous if you drive it aggressively. And if you don't drive it aggressively, then what's the point of that Hemi engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniguchisan View Post
You spoke most of the words right out of my mouth. Taaliyan.
Old 26th September 2008, 23:47   #50
BHPian

i think there are two types of people; ones who dont like the 300 and ones who love it. my opinion is instead of goin for the regular e class or 5 series the 300 would be a bit more exciting. what say ghostrider???
Old 27th September 2008, 00:05   #51
BHPian

Quote:

I agree with you a 100%, I drove the 300c in cali too on the PCH, was not impressed at all. Yes the engine is powerful, but that's about it.

Add to that the stigma that now comes with owning one of these, 80% of the 300c's I have seen always have those ugly, trashy chrome wheels. The 300c became popular amongst rappers and rap lovers because of the large front grill, which resembles that of a Bentley from a distance (that is what I have heard, I just don't see it). So with looks only a mother could love, no wonder sales are down.

On a sidenote, there are many people who love the 300c including many in India, nothing against them. I think the 300c stands out in India and is a large car. So if you like it enjoy it.
Old 27th September 2008, 00:40   #52
Senior - BHPian

Hey, nothing against someone who's gone ahead and bought one. However, healthy alternatives, in my view, to an E or a 5iver would be the A6 or the S80 in India. Or a used S55 AMG.
Old 27th September 2008, 01:32   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Hey, nothing against someone who's gone ahead and bought one. However, healthy alternatives, in my view, to an E or a 5iver would be the A6 or the S80 in India. Or a used S55 AMG.
no no, nothing taken in the wrong way. everyone has their own opinion and i respect that! peace. and ya, the amg sounds goood as an alternate option!
Old 27th September 2008, 01:50   #54
BHPian

Musavi, I'm not talking about the looks. The aesthetics of the car are completely subjective, and even though I'm not a big fan of the looks, I can see why some people would appreciate them.

My point is that comparing the 300C as a complete car to a Merc E-class or a 5-series is ludicrous. Those are some of the finest executive saloons in the world (as is the Audi A6), and the 300C doesn't even begin to compare with them.
Ever heard anyone complaining about the quality of the fit and finish of the switchgear and dash in an E-class? Or saying that the handling of a 5-series left a lot to be desired? No way, dude.

Just because the 300C is a newer and rarer car than the Es and 5s (which we've gotten used to seeing on our roads, so they've lost some of their snob value) doesn't make it better. No offence, but that's laughable, man.

The E's and 5s of the world are cars that you can live with for a long time, because they're built to certain standards of quality. Chrysler is nowhere near those levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musavi 27 View Post
i think there are two types of people; ones who dont like the 300 and ones who love it. my opinion is instead of goin for the regular e class or 5 series the 300 would be a bit more exciting. what say ghostrider???
Old 27th September 2008, 03:38   #55
BHPian

Quote:
A used S55 AMG all the way!!

DAYYYYMMM man that would be THE car to have!
It would eat the E or the 5iver for breakfast!
Old 27th September 2008, 10:26   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabus E V12 View Post
A used S55 AMG all the way!!

DAYYYYMMM man that would be THE car to have!
It would eat the E or the 5iver for breakfast!
And poop them outta the quad tailpipes in time for lunch. That distinct grumble those 55s make is merely digestion taking place within.
Old 27th September 2008, 11:28   #57
Senior - BHPian

Post in wrong thread. pl delete

Last edited by spadival : 27th September 2008 at 11:32.
Old 27th September 2008, 11:30   #58
BHPian

Bang on, SpawnofSatan.

Musavi... do you own one? If so, I didn't mean any offence in my posts. And I would have been a little more diplomatic...
Like SpawnofSatan said... if you like it, that's all that matters.

Enjoy, and drive safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
I agree with you a 100%, I drove the 300c in cali too on the PCH, was not impressed at all. Yes the engine is powerful, but that's about it.

Add to that the stigma that now comes with owning one of these, 80% of the 300c's I have seen always have those ugly, trashy chrome wheels. The 300c became popular amongst rappers and rap lovers because of the large front grill, which resembles that of a Bentley from a distance (that is what I have heard, I just don't see it). So with looks only a mother could love, no wonder sales are down.

On a sidenote, there are many people who love the 300c including many in India, nothing against them. I think the 300c stands out in India and is a large car. So if you like it enjoy it.
Old 27th September 2008, 12:28   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Bang on, SpawnofSatan.

Musavi... do you own one? If so, I didn't mean any offence in my posts. And I would have been a little more diplomatic...
Like SpawnofSatan said... if you like it, that's all that matters.

Enjoy, and drive safe.
I meant to compare the 300 to the e and 5 keepin the price in mind, not anything else. No offense taken at all and yes i do own one. Test drove the e the 5 the a4 a6 and then the 300. Im still very young so for me show value in a car is important, hence the 300. The last line is perfect '' if you like it, that's all that matters.'' Peace.
Old 27th September 2008, 14:55   #60
BHPian

I have a soft spot for american muscle, next on my list is either the 09 dodge challenger or the 2010 camaro. Or if i could, both!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks